• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
51ved6r%2BUAL._SY445_.jpg

Perhaps not the most popular title in the series, but I had good memories of playing the game on 360 after it came out in 2006. After the servers shut down ~9 years ago though, people started looking into making private servers for the game, and now a proper one came out last month: Phantasy Star Universe: Clementine. Clementine has been a work in progress for years now and is finally at a point where things are stable and the game can be played similar to how it used to be.

The game is similar to the official online mode, although it is based on a free version of the Japanese PC version (it is fully in English, aside from spoken dialogue). It has most of the game's free missions from online mode, although the story missions aren't available. The game has also started with low level caps (currently lv 60) to give a better sense of progression similar to on official, rather than having the maximum cap at lv 200 from the start. There's also some quality of life upgrades here and there, but it is largely just like playing the game back in the day.

If you're interested, the site for the server is here:
https://psu-clementine.net/community/index.php

And download info is here:

Download - Clementine

The game is probably more slower paced than PSO2, but I'm still finding I prefer it over PSO2; maybe it's just nostalgia. Still, there are usually up to a few hundred people online at peak, and while you can solo play if you'd like, it'd be great to have even more people in the community, whether new players or returning players from the old official servers.

Edit: Also, here's the extremely helpful wiki site, that has all the info you could want about in-game stuff:

Also the Discord link:

Discord - A New Way to Chat with Friends & Communities

Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's finally in a stable state? Damn, I kind of want to try it out now.

But wait... Is it just PSU like the original? Not Ambition of the illuminus?

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I still can't comprehend, I decided to get all the Achievements in the 360 version 10 years ago or so. It was one of the, if not THE, most mind numbingly boring process I ever engaged in. I ditched the Microsoft ecosystem shortly after, so I don't know what i even got from the experience šŸ¤·

OP
OP
BeI

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It's finally in a stable state? Damn, I kind of want to try it out now.

But wait... Is it just PSU like the original? Not Ambition of the illuminus?

Oh it is AOTI too, I should have specified. So it has AOTI missions as well, along with some content from the JP version that wasn't on 360.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For some reason I still can't comprehend, I decided to get all the Achievements in the 360 version 10 years ago or so. It was one of the, if not THE, most mind numbingly boring process I ever engaged in. I ditched the Microsoft ecosystem shortly after, so I don't know what i even got from the experience šŸ¤·
As someone that's never played the game, out of curiosity what about it was so boring? The achievement list looks pretty tame from the outside looking in.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like there's no way to play the AotI story missions. Even the PS2 version tells you to go online to finish the story after the first couple of missions.

No way to see the chronicles of dark Waber.

OP
OP
BeI

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Seems like there's no way to play the AotI story missions. Even the PS2 version tells you to go online to finish the story after the first couple of missions.

Apparently the later story mission content was online only, and due to poor record keeping on Sega's part, it may be lost. That also goes for some event content too.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Was holding out for playing it eventually, but oh damn.

Off to the wiki to read what happened then ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last time I looked at Clementine, it only kinda-sorta functioned, so it's nice to see that it in a better state.

I just don't have it in me to play this game anymore. I mained a Cast Gunmaster, and it's the only game I've legitimately fallen asleep playing, lol.

OP
OP
BeI

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
The last time I looked at Clementine, it only kinda-sorta functioned, so it's nice to see that it in a better state.

I just don't have it in me to play this game anymore. I mained a Cast Gunmaster, and it's the only game I've legitimately fallen asleep playing, lol.

While the gameplay may feel a bit slow and dated compared to pso2, there's still something I prefer about it. I tend to listen to music and stuff while playing though.

OP
OP
BeI

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
As a bit of an update, the server updates have been happening regularly and the level cap is now up to Lv 75, and S rank missions and PA fragments are finally back in. The community seems to be fairly healthy too and it seems to get to ~200 concurrent players quite a few nights in a row lately.

OP
OP
BeI

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
There was a big new update recently that added a lot of things:

1. A new daily / weekly quest system to earn extra rewards.
2. Temporary boost item rewards for EXP, Mission points etc.
3. Special "prototype" weapon variants that have minor stat advantages over the normal version.
4. Weapon grinding can't break a weapon anymore, only revert it to 0/10 (and grinding success rate slightly lowered to compensate).
5. Master classes finally added, along with a Lv 100 cap.
6. EXP boost for low level characters up to the level cap - 15 levels, to make it easier to get up to level cap or level alt characters.

Potentially a good time to check it out with the new features and stuff.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Might try to download the client again. Could not download when I tried last year, well the download started but at a speed that would have taken several weeks to get it done.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

3. Special "prototype" weapon variants that have minor stat advantages over the normal version.
4. Weapon grinding can't break a weapon anymore, only revert it to 0/10 (and grinding success rate slightly lowered to compensate).
6. EXP boost for low level characters up to the level cap - 15 levels, to make it easier to get up to level cap or level alt characters.

At this point how much of it is playable? Cause I would be very interested in trying it out again.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Now that's a game I haven't thought of in a while. I remember buying 2x xbox 360s, 2x the gane and 2x xbl gold to play with my now ex since she loved PSO.

And no, I can't go back to that game, sorry.

OP
OP
BeI

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
At this point how much of it is playable? Cause I would be very interested in trying it out again.

Pretty much the entire online is playable. All classes are available now and the first S2 missions just came out with the lvl cap increase to lv 100. The release of higher level caps has been staggered so everything isn't released at once and there is a better sense of progression, imo. They have also added extra stuff too, like the original never had daily / weekly missions or those special prototype weapons, and they have reworked loot tables. There aren't any more server resets either because all the beta testing is long done at this point.

The things that aren't in the game are the story missions and a few specific free missions that have issues, but it's not many.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017

Wow that server has come a long long way. I might have to try it out again finally. I remember for a long time all I could do was kill bell pannons lol.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
How much content is exclusive to PSU? Or in other words, what does it have that's missing from PSP2i other than the offline story?

OP
OP
BeI

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
How much content is exclusive to PSU? Or in other words, what does it have that's missing from PSP2i other than the offline story?

I've never played PSP2i. All I know is that most of the online stuff from PSU is in the game or planned to be in the game, including Japan-only items. They have shown they can make certain custom items though.

Oct 31, 2017
I remember the gameplay being really really really slow

but part of me craves sci-fi JRPG's tbh

Wish PSO2 wasn't Xbox exclusive in the West

Professor Beef

Official ResetEraā„¢ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
It truly has been years and years since playing Universe because I couldn't find the beginner missions for the life of me lol

I think I'm too used to PSP1 and 2 though, because man do I miss being able to dodge/sidestep.

OP
OP
BeI

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Thought I'd bump the thread to mention some of the new stuff that has changed or been added since the thread was originally made.

1. Level cap increased to 190, having slowly increased from 60 since release.

2. Most JP content (armor and weapons) has been added, along with custom additions.

3. Class and Photon Art re-balancing has made more classes viable.

4. S4 difficulty missions for high-level loot.

5. Extra quality of life features like being able to repair broken weapons or change weapon elements and increase them to 40%.

6. Upcoming GAS (Guardians Advanced System) upgrade system for end-game, which will let you convert EXP to AP points and basically buy perks / upgrades to make your character stronger.

Basically the private server is still going strong and more has been done with the "spaghetti code" of the game than might have been initially thought possible. Implementing the end-game GAS system was something that they weren't sure could even be done, but is now expected within the next few weeks.

Things are looking pretty good for Phantasy Star Universe, 16 years after the initial release. Also it runs well on Steam Deck once it's setup!

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I like those changes a lot actually! Will try this again, PSU was my first PS MMO, eventually went back to try PSO and loved that too

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
as someone still working on getting back into dreamcast PSO servers, i support this effort!
only ran through PSUs single player stuff back then, pretty forgettable but that's been par for the course honestly

Toxel

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 26, 2022
Gonna miss the PSO days when servers were still very active. Puts a tear in my eyes.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Gave it a try a few months ago, the problem was that once you are late to the game it's almost impossible to find parties for the content you need to play. I think I made it to De Ragan and after trying for 30 minutes to beat that mission alone finally someone joined my game. But I was mostly playing alone which made it kind of a chore, especially when you want to play Techer and have no party to heal/SD.

Jun 1, 2021
Gave it a try a few months ago, the problem was that once you are late to the game it's almost impossible to find parties for the content you need to play. I think I made it to De Ragan and after trying for 30 minutes to beat that mission alone finally someone joined my game. But I was mostly playing alone which made it kind of a chore, especially when you want to play Techer and have no party to heal/SD.

Yeh this is one of the main reasons I fall off each time. I know you get increased xp at low level now but some missions are still quite tricky solo.

OP
OP
BeI

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

Fortunately one of the other features added at some point was an EXP boost up to a certain level to help new characters catch up a bit faster.

I've personally only ever had a problem with bosses if I had a very new character and barely reach the Lv requirement. It gets way easier once you get higher stats and access to more gear. Using the right armor element can matter a lot.

Techers are in a pretty good spot at the moment too since they currently have the GAS limit breaks that English servers got near the end, but they need to be unlocked by reaching certain class levels.