• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

That's a big role for a guy with a long career in gaming, high up in PlayStation towers for many years and also looking after Microsoft's European first party studios more recently.

I wonder if Google is making a bigger move in to gaming or if it's his outstanding business acumen they were after.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/22/16921214/phil-harrison-google-games

Game industry stalwart Phil Harrison announced today that he is joining Google as a vice president and general manager, working from the company's headquarters in California.

Harrison's resume includes 15 years as head of Sony's network of game studios, as well as three years as a senior member of Microsoft's Xbox team. In recent years, he's served as an adviser and board member to various companies, including Gaikai and Atari.

"Excited to be able to share that today I've started a new role as Vice President and GM of Google - and relocating (back) to California," Harrison tweeted today. He was based in California in the late '90s, during his stint with Sony.

There's been no official announcement of his joining from Google's publicity department, suggesting a high level of secrecy about Harrison's role at the company. But it's likely to be a meaty, games-related project. Harrison's field of experience is coordinating game studios and strategies for gaming platforms.

Google's interest in games includes its mobile platform Android, as well as browser games played through its search page. The company hosted a Google Developer Day at GDC last year. It also launched an Android-based VR platform, Daydream, in 2016. And the company has been investing in augmented reality platform ARCore.

Last edited:

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
VP & GM... of what?

Mega companies like Google don't just have generic VPs and GMs, he must be overseeing a specific division/technology/etc

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
VP & GM... of what?

Mega companies like Google don't just have generic VPs and GMs, he must be overseeing a specific division/technology/etc
Maybe I'm talking out of my ass here, but wouldn't the "mega company" be Alphabet now? Meaning, he could possibly be the actual GM and VP of Google, which would be a subsidiary of Alphabet.

Oct 25, 2017
Dallas,tx
Man I dont know how I feel about this. He left sony and microsoft when they were going through tough times (Ps3 launch Xbox one launch). I'm shocked Google took him.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm talking out of my ass here, but wouldn't the "mega company" be Alphabet now? Meaning, he could possibly be the actual GM and VP of Google, which would be a subsidiary of Alphabet.

Even within Google, it's likely that there are many VPs. I don't know for certain, but I'd assume there are divisions based on different offerings/systems like Maps, Docs, AdSense, and they may all have somebody in the title of VP.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Even within Google, it's likely that there are many VPs. I don't know for certain, but I'd assume there are divisions based on different offerings/systems like Maps, Docs, AdSense, and they may all have somebody in the title of VP.
btw, I remember in Yahoo there were like about 500 VPs 10-15 years ago :) Basically every team lead was titled as VP