• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
more-work.jpg

kotaku.com

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer On Series X Launch, Halo Infinite & Bethesda

There’s nothing normal about interviewing Xbox chief Phil Spencer these days.

I thought this might be interesting because I heard some fans saying that this wouldn't be the case. Which never made any sense to me. Of course it is. Weaker hardware, way less Ram and bandwidth; It isn't easy.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
I think the important part of that statement is the end of it though: it's to expand the market. A lot of people, especially now, can't afford a $500 box. It gives those people an in without having to wait the typical 2-3 years for consoles to drop under $300.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Even if there were tools to scale down, you'd still have to tune and test things.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
There goes any idea of "some magical software will scale the game down" that some people had.
Yea, but we know they have tools built in to make it easier. Also I think some people choose to believe that Xbox would've researched the scalability of their 2 consoles and didn't just develop a 4tf machine for the sake of it.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
True, but considering 95% of developers are also releasing PC versions of their games I assume they have the pipelines in place for catering for lower spec hardware.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
When will Phil also acknowledge that developing for two different hardware specs will mean that games will never reach their full potential because they have to work on the lower spec machine. It is NOT only about resolution scaling.

I have been outspoken against Lockhart since the first reports about it surfaced in 2018. My stance on Xbox Series S has not changed. It is fine, excellent even, for expanding the number of devices that will run Xbox games natively. No doubt about that. Microsoft has an entirely different strategy than when they co-designed the Xbox 360 hardware during 2002 and 2004 with IBM and ATI.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Yea, but we know they have tools built in to make it easier. Also I think some people choose to believe that Xbox would've researched the scalability of their 2 consoles and didn't just develop a 4tf machine for the sake of it.

This. The way some people say is that Microsoft thought "You know what? Let's fuck up with developers and make a bad console! Mwahahahah!".

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Better to be straight forward about it. Like he said though, the goal to expand the market is a fair one for MS to have. As long as they provide enough support to devs.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
There are 4 threads on the front page using different quotes from the same article

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
When will Phil also acknowledge that developing for two different hardware specs will mean that games will never reach their full potential because they have to work on the lower spec machine. It is NOT only about resolution scaling.

I have been outspoken against Lockhart since the first reports about it surfaced in 2018. My stance on Xbox Series S has not changed. It is fine, excellent even, for expanding the number of devices that will run Xbox games natively. No doubt about that. Microsoft has an entirely different strategy than when they co-designed the Xbox 360 hardware during 2002 and 2004 with IBM and ATI.

When they release a machine that's a generation behind and can't handle next gen development?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Well, yeah.

But then again, Spencer has always had something of a bias against Xbox that is clearly showing through here...

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Theres a diff between extra work and harder work

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

This. The way some people say is that Microsoft thought "You know what? Let's fuck up with developers and make a bad console! Mwahahahah!".
These 3 posts can have the same reply: if that's what MS goals were, so be it. It's not a mistake if that's what their plans are and it works for them.

And I agree 100% with SharpX68K , lol.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
When they release a machine that's a generation behind and can't handle next gen development?

Series S is not a generation behind Series X, but it has significantly less RAM, lower memory bandwidth and one third of the GPU performance.

What happens when games come out in 3-4 years that only reach native 1440p on Series X? Scaling the resolution down to 1080p on Series S would not be enough, unless the graphical detail and image quality are also downgraded. Not to mention ray tracing. RT might have to be turned off entirely, if not drastically lowered. Maybe 900p or lower would do it, but it all depends on the game, the developer and their resources.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
If it gets more people an ssd-enabled device, it's 100% worth it so devs can move on from crevices

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
This was always the case, the real question is what performance balance can they get from XSX to XSS with out having to compromise anything from the game.