• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Per The Verge:
Microsoft's head of gaming and Xbox, Phil Spencer, has revealed that the company sees Amazon and Google as its main competition for the future. Speaking in an interview with newly launched technology publication Protocol, Spencer dismisses Sony and Nintendo's ability to create a cloud infrastructure that will challenge Microsoft, Google, or Amazon.

"When you talk about Nintendo and Sony, we have a ton of respect for them, but we see Amazon and Google as the main competitors going forward," says Spencer. "That's not to disrespect Nintendo and Sony, but the traditional gaming companies are somewhat out of position. I guess they could try to re-create Azure, but we've invested tens of billions of dollars in cloud over the years."

Cross me out if already posted.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
That market is untapped so far. I think it's a bit premature but i could see the potential of the cloud and services that can reach into more houses then traditional consoles have.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this was a bit obvious that this was their mindset and it's been a positive especially with the Nintendo team up

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
For streaming he does have a point, there's a reason Sony (and I think Nintendo?) and MS looked for a partnership for streaming tech. Btw. I only remember the headlines from back then but did anything ever come out of that?

Or did I imagine Sony and MS working together on that and my brain is playing tricks on me ...

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
That's what analysts have been saying right?

think even some people here have mentioned they believe this as well.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see it at all.

I also don't really believe him. Microsoft use Youtube to promote their games and sell all their games on Amazon. They only sell Minecraft on Playstation (and that was more of a legacy thing), and only sell a couple of games on Nintendo.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Isnt PS Now on Azure?
I don't believe so yet, but there is some sort of deal in place for the future. It's unknown what that entails, though. It was in May of last year that they said they'd be partnering up on that, but I'm unsure if they've actually fully transitioned it yet.

Absolutely feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Last edited:

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people will just jump on that headline and not really read the article, he makes a lot of sense in his comments but the headline will just fan the fanboy wars which is maybe what the verge want.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Duh.

Ms is battling on another level against Google and Amazon. Gaming is only a tiny piece of the pie for MS.

Xbox is fighting against Sony and Nintendo. MS has bigger fish to fry.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
seems more like something a greenberg would say weird. did phil not get the memo that sony is partnered for cloud services?

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Highly disrespectful but it fits with this marketing narrative pushed through various media publications where they act like PS Now doesn't exist or lacks features it clearly has.

So, the logical thing would be for Sony to partner up with Amazon, but they actually chose Microsoft. Which is... interesting.
The logical thing is for Sony to go with whoever offers them the best deal.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but I think it's too early to make such a statement. You still have to be relevant until that time comes.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Isnt PS Now on Azure?
Yes, and PS Now is very competitive on price and library. Maybe there are some better tiers of Azure that only Xbox gets access to? Not to mention we still haven't seen cloud gaming completely take off. Stadia gets a bad rep it feels like. For VR or other latency intolerant experiences people have a lot of doubts about cloud gaming ever replacing locally processed games.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't necessarily about cloud streaming games but just infrastructure isn't it? And yeah those 3 are the biggest. I don't think the head of MS will care too much if Sony/Nintendo are massively successful in the future, possibly more so than Xbox, with streaming if its on their Azure servers. Money is money. Its a win-win for them.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Even as an avid Sony buyer, I have so much respect for Phil and what he has done for the Xbox brand. He isn't wrong in this approach, as by next generation, Cloud gaming will be a major way to play (as long as politics don't continue to curb technological progression).

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony will now get together with Google so that they can kill Stadia and make a great PS5 Cloud service with great exclusives.

Microsoft loses.

/jk

I don't care what plattform has currently the best standing or the best cloud service etc. Microsoft does not have the games I want to play so they could do anything they want and I still won't get back into their ecosystem.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Verge said:
"I don't want to be in a fight over format wars with those guys while Amazon and Google are focusing on how to get gaming to 7 billion people around the world," says Spencer in the Protocol interview. "Ultimately, that's the goal."

That means Microsoft is getting ready for future console wars that will take place in data centers, and it's ready to partner with competitors that can also use Azure. Microsoft partnered with Sony last year, and the pair appears to be readying to host Sony's services on Azure in the future.[/quote

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like it's specifcally related to cloud infrastructure competition. Which, yeah, Amazon and Google are the competitors.

Oct 25, 2017
lmao sure phil

google will drop stadia in a few months, such great competition

some weird things coming out of xbox leadership lately

unless he's talking specifically about cloud infrastructure, and that doesn't seem like it from the article itself

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
The article mostly seems to be about tech and services and everything around games as opposed to the games themselves, so I'd say he's not wrong.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Highly disrespectful but it fits with this marketing narrative pushed through various media publications where they act like PS Now doesn't exist or lacks features it clearly has.

The logical thing is for Sony to go with whoever offers them the best deal.
Sony already partnered with MS/Azure for their streaming

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
"if i don't acknowledge Sony i can't lose the competition"

image-127-cke.jpg

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be a bunch of Sony fans not realizing Sony doesn't have a cloud infrastructure on the level of the big three.

Instead they'll use bogus examples that don't apply here. Sony signed on to use Azure for this very reason.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Good Arrogant guy Phil ;)

Isnt PS Now on Azure?

No, not yet.

Anyway - if he views MS primarily as an technology/infrastructural company going forward, and Xbox as just another vehicle on top of that, then he's right. In terms of competition as a games platform/service company, he's probably wrong. His comment is telling of MS's current outlook on which type of company they are though. There is no battle between MS and Sony or Nintendo in the cloud infrastructure space, indeed MS is in the processing of signing at least one of them as a customer.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is about cloud gaming and streaming, but of course people will ignore that and get worked up anyway.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gaming is in the cloud now and Sony/Nintendo are not going to be spending billions to create an infrastructure on the level of Amazon, Google or MS. It makes sense to ride on one of their backs. If MS is seeing the cloud as it's own future (which it is), then it makes sense that MS sees Amazon and Google as the more direct competitor.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
lmao sure phil

google will drop stadia in a few months, such great competition

some weird things coming out of xbox leadership lately

unless he's talking specifically about cloud infrastructure, and that doesn't seem like it from the article itself
He is 100% talking about infrastructure.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
But Spencer is solely talking about streaming here. And they did partner with Sony in that regard.
You don't think Amazon are going to use the games department of their online retail operation, and google are going to use youtube, to promote their game streaming businesses?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Almost no one will realise that he is talking about the cloud market and the competition in that field of the market.