• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don't sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?" I asked.

"Yes," Spencer quickly replied.

Then he paused.

"I don't want to be flip about that," he added. "This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I'll also say in the model—I'm just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don't have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means."

kotaku.com

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer On Series X Launch, Halo Infinite & Bethesda

There’s nothing normal about interviewing Xbox chief Phil Spencer these days.

Last edited:

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
This was always going to be the case but it's probably good for some people to hear it directly from Phil.

Oct 25, 2017
That's not exactly a confirmation per se, but yeah, it kinda indicates that most stuff of Bethesda going forward is not coming on another platforms.

You should, however, put the entire quote:

"Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don't sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?" I asked.

Then he paused.

"I don't want to be flip about that," he added. "This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I'll also say in the model—I'm just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don't have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means."

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Technically he is responding to the question positioned to him, but yeah to me it nearly confirms it.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Is there any confirmation as to whether or not they'll still come to steam? I'm guessing with the success of recent Microsoft games on steam, it's bound to be happening, but I'd love to get a confirmation.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
*In response to the original title: "Phil Spencer confirms Bethesda games not launching on other platforms"

No, he's saying he doesn't have to ship games on other platforms to have the deal make sense.

"Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don't sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?" I asked.

Then he paused.

Last edited:

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like what they've been saying. They don't have to launch on other platforms, but they can.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Nobody should have expected anything different, but it's good to see it confirmed. Still remains an unprecedented purchase though and it's hard to predict what nextgen will look like as a result.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't confirm anything. He said they don't need to sell games on other platforms to recoup the cost of the deal.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is a bad interpretation of what he's saying. I don't think Bethesda games will come to PS5, but it's certainly not confirmed here.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
It's a smart move. Guarantees that someone like me, who really had little interest in getting an Xbox Series X, will eventually get one when the next Elder Scrolls game comes out.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"Whatever that means," is so good here. The way people talk about these deals is nothing like the way a corporation thinks about them.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
That's about as clear as you can be before you technically own the company. Can't actually say what they're going to do since they don't own Bethesda yet, but he can speak on his philosophy.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it was obvious that this was going to be the case from the beginning. I have no idea why so many people believed otherwise.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Damn hard news for some to swallow but it is what it is, thats why im glad im getting both consoles :), sucks for the console warriors tho lol, i'd still expect a few smaller titles to hit switch tbh though.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
If a mod can make a better title I'm ok with it. I couldn't copy the whole quote.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
That's not exactly a confirmation per se, but yeah, it kinda indicates that most stuff of Bethesda going forward is not coming on another platforms.

You should, however, put the entire quote:
Thanks for clarifying that a bit more. OP should probably be updated with this in full because it does change the impression he gives a good bit.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like unless Sony or Nintendo work out some sort of deal with MS to get a version of Game Pass on their platforms, Bethesda games simply won't show up there.

At the very least, it seems people should expect those games to be Xbox/PC/xcloud only moving forward.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
You forgot the best quote:

There is so much at the link. It's a massive interview.