• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
damn, now we need to come with another word to say gamepass is bad!
GamePass is profitable, but it could be more profitable.

EocjDo7.png

Oct 28, 2017
This is why COD being on Game Pass is so important to them: there will be a chunk of people at the turn of the next-gen who will Jump In from other platforms.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Wasn't the attach rate for game pass for Series console owners something like 70+ percent? Makes sense they've reach saturation point there and are pushing PC/cloud so much lately.

Jan 16, 2019
Wait, which service that they want to raise the price last year or so, but a lot of people fight back so they decide to walk back?

Genuine question because I thought it was GamePass, or is it the Online one?

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Wait, which service that they want to raise the price last year or so, but a lot of people fight back so they decide to walk back?

Genuine question because I thought it was GamePass, or is it the Online one?
It was Xbox Live Gold, a move that many understood as an attempt to drive users to Game Pass.

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't expecting them to say it's slowed on console. Are they already at the markets saturation point?

I've always wondered if peak PS+ / Gold is as much as you could hope to reach with Game Pass on console or if it could go further. I guess that's obviously why streaming and mobile / PC have such big focuses. I just don't know who's paying a subscription to play games on mobile.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised! Good for them.

I wonder if he means profitable in the strict sense of "Game Pass revenue - Game Pass expenses > 0", or the more expansive sense of "Game Pass revenue - Game Pass expenses - foregone revenue from selling $60 games > 0". I suspect it's the first one, but even so, that's pretty impressive!

I also wonder if he's attributing any of the costs of buying third party studios and their games on Game Pass, or just strictly looking at money going out the door to temporarily third party games. I guess there are a *lot* of different ways to count costs here.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't expecting them to say it's slowed on console. Are they already at the markets saturation point?

I've always wondered if peak PS+ / Gold is as much as you could hope to reach with Game Pass on console or if it could go further. I guess that's obviously why streaming and mobile / PC have such big focuses. I just don't know who's paying a subscription to play games on mobile.
I think its more to do with the console version not getting alot of big games till towars the end of the year combined with the horrible 1st party ms had.

Next year it will probably go up

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see how the service does once they prevent users from using the $1/3yr trick. I don't know anybody IRL who pays $10-$15 per month for GP. I also wonder how it'll look when the inevitable price increase comes.

But who knows, maybe they'll just leave the $1 promo trick stick around and just get the guys who don't know any better 😂

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
A little surprised, (and maybe a little thankful?) that gamepass subs seem to be hitting saturation levels.

It's not the way I want to consume content in the future.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I didn't know there was any doubt that it wasn't. Microsoft's in the business of profit. I guarantee you that if it wasn't profitable it would have been cut loose a long time ago.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised! Good for them.

I wonder if he means profitable in the strict sense of "Game Pass revenue - Game Pass expenses > 0", or the more expansive sense of "Game Pass revenue - Game Pass expenses - foregone revenue from selling $60 games > 0". I suspect it's the first one, but even so, that's pretty impressive!

I also wonder if he's attributing any of the costs of buying third party studios and their games on Game Pass, or just strictly looking at money going out the door to temporarily third party games. I guess there are a *lot* of different ways to count costs here.
Not really going to get color unless internal documents leaks, unfortunately

Deleted member 98695

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 15, 2021
Wasn't the attach rate for game pass for Series console owners something like 70+ percent? Makes sense they've reach saturation point there and are pushing PC/cloud so much lately.
At this point, the only real way of increasing Game Pass console numbers to sell consoles, and they can only do that at a relatively slow rate. There is no real way of beating something like a 70% attach rate. Even Nintendo games do not have that attach rate.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i think they'll see a decent jump with their streaming-only box, depending on the price.

Seraphs

Banned
Sep 22, 2022
I still think that they could get more pc subscribers if they added more strategy or survival strategy games like farthest frontier, surviving the aftermath, endzone, etc.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

Well, Game Pass growth on console is limited by how many consoles they can sell, so as long as that continues to be an issue they can't easily increase growth. Hence the focus on PC and Cloud were such an issue isn't present.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Goalposts are going to move as if a sunday league keeper is in net. Gamepass is profitable, end of.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Probably true but why believe him? How do you untangle money made game pass from the rest of the Xbox stuff?

Oct 25, 2017
I think its more to do with the console version not getting alot of big games till towars the end of the year combined with the horrible 1st party ms had.

Next year it will probably go up

Yeah there's no way it doesn't go up when Starfield drops.

Just wasn't expecting the idea of pricing going up and the subs slowing now, like in a few years sure but not this early, though it could just be as you say outside market factors and low game output for this year.

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, the only real way of increasing Game Pass console numbers to sell consoles, and they can only do that at a relatively slow rate. There is no real way of beating something like a 70% attach rate. Even Nintendo games do not have that attach rate.
Minus BOTW have a greater than 100% attach rate when the Switch launched lol

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
But is it though?
What if Phil is lying?
All the Era mathematicians and market experts can't possibly be wrong.