• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
I mean there isn't a reason to upgrade to a Series X this year unless you want to maybe play The Medium, Scorn or any other small next-gen exclusive. Your current Xbox will serve your just fine for the cross-gen stuff if you are happy with visuals and performance there. What more do you want them to show you?

I can't play Monster Hunter: World (my GOTG) on my Xbox One X 60fps without load times. Or Sekiro without horrible frame pacing. I can't play Forza Horizon 4 60fps/4K on my Xbox One X.

I have zero interest in the launch games on either PS5 or Series X but backwards compatibility is the reason I'm going to buy Series X day one.

There's also 8ms of input lag on Xbox One controllers. With Series X that should drop to 1ms if they change the polling rate from 250hz to 1000hz as I would guess.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I can't play Monster Hunter: World (my GOTG) on my Xbox One X 60fps without load times. Or Sekiro without horrible frame pacing. I can't play Forza Horizon 4 60fps/4K on my Xbox One X.

I have zero interest in the launch games on either PS5 or Series X but backwards compatibility is the reason I'm going to buy Series X day one.

There's also 8ms of input lag on Xbox One controllers. With Series X that should drop to 1ms if they change the polling rate from 250hz to 1000hz as I would guess.
Great! And some people will be happy with the current experience on their old Xbox. It is a win win!

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yes I am there for higher framerate BC games. I hope it's a lot of them. Maybe some xbox 360 games?

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I personally think investing in 120fps is an absolute waste of resources. Which portion of the market have access to those screens?

EDIT: I am talking about games development, Resetera users can spend their money on whatever they want lmao

For new games, sure. But if Ori can easily hit 120fps with the new hardware, then why not?

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, and I know this thread is about old games, but since 120fps 1080p is half the fill rate of 4k/60, and the same fill rate as 4k/30, I'd like to see a ton of future support. Not universal, of course, but I'm sure a LOT of games aren't going to be CPU bound to prevent this.

And frankly all the people that are upset about 120hz are jerks. Choice is good.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These game they're bringing forward will likely show up next gen games when optimised, and it's good MS aren't wasting money on Ryse/Order 1666 type games, which are usually tech demos. The price of the box is about what's in it, it's an error in your interpretation to think otherwise. For now, it's not aimed at you I guess, buy something else and come take a look later.
The problem is with every game for two years being cross gen, whats in the box isn't necessarily going to be representative of what it can do or the price theyre charging for it (Infinite is already evidencing it). So I don't think its an error at all. The specs of the box being hamstrung by last gen doesn't feel like its going to justify the price point-especially when you consider that a PC will still get you better performance and everything on the box is going to be playable on PC moving forward.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is possible to fix games to reach 60 fps? I know that you can't do it magically by just booting them in the series x, but could devs uncap the framerate from the source code of the original games?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The problem is with every game for two years being cross gen, whats in the box isn't necessarily going to be representative of what it can do or the price theyre charging for it (Infinite is already evidencing it). So I don't think its an error at all. The specs of the box being hamstrung by last gen doesn't feel like its going to justify the price point-especially when you consider that a PC will still get you better performance and everything on the box is going to be playable on PC moving forward.

What PC is going to get anywhere near that performance for the price so I can buy it?

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Nice! Sounds like Microsoft is taking BC to the next level. Their BC strategy this gen has been amazing so I expect even better things to come!

I'm thinking this event won't be until the end of August though. But hopefully we get a price and preorders are opened.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020

Are PC games hamstrung because people own older hardware that scales the game? No

A PC will always get you better performance as long as you understand you're paying 3x the cost of the console to do so and that's simply not an option for millions of gamers.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Good. I want to know more about both next gen consoles and what features their OS and so on offers. Hopefully we get gameplay of the new Forza Motorsport and Spiderman.
I would be surprised if we see Forza gameplay next month. They likely would have shown it last week if it was ready.

I'm not sure next month will be big on games in relation to Xbox honestly, at least new announcements. Might be new things to show, but I'd expect stuff on xCloud soon, hardware, big news related to Game Pass and a publisher - stuff like that from what I know

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I would be surprised if we see Forza gameplay next month. They likely would have shown it last week if it was ready.

I'm not sure next month will be big on games in relation to Xbox honestly, at least new announcements. I'd expect stuff on xCloud soon, hardware, big news related to Game Pass and a publisher - stuff like that.
I think we might see Halo MP at gamescom at least, like we did with H5.

Iso

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure next month will be big on games in relation to Xbox honestly, at least new announcements. I'd expect stuff on xCloud soon, hardware, big news related to Game Pass and a publisher - stuff like that.
Pretty much. If they had gameplay to show from anything revealed last week they would have shown it then.
If they show games next month, I'd expect it to really only be finally fleshing out the launch titles.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure next month will be big on games in relation to Xbox honestly, at least new announcements. Might be new things to show, but I'd expect stuff on xCloud soon, hardware, big news related to Game Pass and a publisher - stuff like that.
My hope is still like one game with the stuff. Maybe Hellblade or TI game.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Was going to replay Gears 5 amazing campaign but going to wait until I get my Series X to play it at 120FPS and at 4K resolution. Holy crap I've never been this pumped to play a game I already beat, which was rare enough already!

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure next month will be big on games in relation to Xbox honestly, at least new announcements. Might be new things to show, but I'd expect stuff on xCloud soon, hardware, big news related to Game Pass and a publisher - stuff like that.

Game pass and a publisher? :0

Quellyford

May 16, 2020

I'm not sure next month will be big on games in relation to Xbox honestly, at least new announcements. Might be new things to show, but I'd expect stuff on xCloud soon, hardware, big news related to Game Pass and a publisher - stuff like that from what I know
Not sure if this is something in particular being referred to or pure speculation, but it would be awesome to see a publisher partnership to put all their past/present/future games on Game Pass!

Team17 already seems quite committed to Game Pass, but I wouldn't put it past another publisher of similar quality to enter a partnership as well. We are getting to the point where there are so many subscribers to Game Pass that it could really boost your games.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
BC features is one area where MS will easily outshine Sony I think. I hope they get a win with their next showing whenever it is.

I think we'll get another look at Halo and maybe first Hellblade gameplay too I hope

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is something in particular being referred to or pure speculation, but it would be awesome to see a publisher partnership to put all their past/present/future games on Game Pass!

Team17 already seems quite committed to Game Pass, but I wouldn't put it past another publisher of similar quality to enter a partnership as well. We are getting to the point where there are so many subscribers to Game Pass that it could really boost your games.
Those two things are not combined. I suspect publisher (wb) and game pass (goodbye gold) is inferred

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Do you know what the chances are of xcloud being ready for iPhone in September? Please don't say it's only android at launch

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Just a heads up, if it doesn't get a next gen patch I doubt load times will be improved as much as you'd like. They will probably improve some, but not to the level of a game designed for the system.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I think once both show off their BC offerings, things will become more favorable because people will see improved versions of their fav games.

I cant wait to see what ND has done for TLOU Part II for ps5. (Patch)

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
No one should expect game announcements next month.

only 1 game actually received gameplay footage THIS month, the rest was CGI. Might as well showed off anything and everything a that point.

Levitates

Apr 9, 2020
Brazil

A publisher heh? :)

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017

Im in the same boat as you, but I might wait depending on powerdraw, next revision etc.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
No one should expect game announcements next month.

only 1 game actually received gameplay footage THIS month, the rest was CGI. Might as well showed off anything and everything a that point.
I do think it is reasonable to expect something in Gamescom, to be fair. Unless you didn't have that as part of what you were talking about?

I suspect we get Halo Infinite multiplayer at Gamescom... oh man that would be nice!

ez123

Feb 18, 2020

Great news! I don't think asking for official xCloud Win 10 news the month before release is too much. I want to use it before Spectrum puts in those data caps.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I personally think investing in 120fps is an absolute waste of resources. Which portion of the market have access to those screens?

EDIT: I am talking about games development, Resetera users can spend their money on whatever they want lmao

Isn't 120hz going to start being a standard feature soon?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah I want to see how well their BC solution works, since I've never had an Xbox before I'm really interested in seeing what I'll be getting with Series X. This hopefully will also push Sony to properly reveal what exactly it is that they do with their PS4 BC solution on PS5.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't what my issue is. But you know that.

You seem to be taking issue with people having a different opinion than yourself.
There's basically unanimous agreement that 60 FPS matters. If MS managed to make a game that previously ran at 30 FPS also run at 60 in backwards compatibility mode, the incremental amount of work to make it work at 120 should be very minimal (basically nil). If they do 120, everyone is happy. I don't understand why everyone is so dismissive when doing the work to hit 60 basically implies the ability to hit 120. We all get our cake and eat it too.