• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
In a recent interview Phil Spencer was asked:

"Do you think the time is near where consoles will simply disappear at one point, and we will use screens only to run games from remote servers?"

Phil Spencer answered:

No. There are certain scenarios where a stream game is the best answer. On a console the best scenario for you is to download that game and play. If you are on a PC that`s capable of download and play that game, download and play that game. Not all devices are capable of playing the most demanding games that we see here on the show, so streaming is an option in those scenario, and there are some scenarios of like instant start and trials where maybe streaming on a device might be interesting, but I think for years and years the best way to play a game will be to download that game and play it. The same thing on PC. I think streaming is something that is further out in terms of it becoming a really mass marked where everybody`s doing it, and even way further out before it`s the best way to play that game, if it ever is.

It`s about giving you a choice as a player, not about replacing what you do today.

The entire interview can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5y0OvZgcIs

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
This is what I've always thought. It is a supplement to, not a replacement to "traditional" console gaming

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I think streaming is something that is further out in terms of it becoming a really mass marked where everybody`s doing it

This is an interesting quote, because I've seen xCloud - and whatever rumored streaming box that will release fairly soon - framed as Microsoft's renewed push for the mass market and potential mechanism for recapturing market share lost during the XB1 era. I've also seen it argued that this streaming box will be the cheaper sibling to Scarlet, which might be $500 given X's release price.

So I wonder how reflective this remark is of Microsoft's overall attitude on streaming and the degree to which they're internally positioning it as a mass market device. It may be that it's conceived as a slow burn, with the first streaming box and Azure backend merely laying the groundwork.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the biggest thing MS learned from their always online debacle. Do not restrict options and force customers to do something one way, instead provide plenty of options and let customers decide what's best for them.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least he can admit it.

I'm glad too, I can accept a future where streaming on consoles is the main draw, but I still want a console to utilise.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Of course it won't. It's going to be another way people game is all. Like how streaming isn't the only way people watch movies or TV.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Ever is a strong word.

Glad to see this stance now, but eventually we will be able to stream 16K VR with little to no compression, and at that point, I think physical discs will be all but gone.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
If platform holders allow both systems to continue evolving, then we can have a future where every game we purchase online can be downloaded to the console and also be streamed to any laptop/mobile device on the go when we are not at home.*

*For an additional fee.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'm excited about the possibilities of streaming. Never once thought about it replacing traditional consoles. Some games will transition well to a phone or tablet on the go. If you can take your entire Game Pass library with you to lunch or on the toilet, why not?

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So did I, but EA and Ubisoft seem to think otherwise.

They want a streaming future so they can use their own solutions and bypass the 30% cut they give to the 3 console makers, just like how they all use their own client on PC to cut out Steam. That's the only reason 3rd party pubs want a streaming future.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
good. At least Spencer realises at best this will just be an additional market.

Anyone who thinks streaming is replacing traditional consoles for anyone but the most casual of the casual is deluding themselves. Even amongst a casual audience, they will still buy dedicated hardware.

EA and ubisoft think the future of their montizited shared world titles are in streaming. But even they know they will never convince the hardcore to give up dedicated hardware.

They just want as many MAU as possible and the ability to cut Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft out the picture entirely. Thats why they pushed for always online this gen and why they will push for streaming the next.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
So did I, but EA and Ubisoft seem to think otherwise.

EA and Ubisoft do not make consoles. As third party publishers their objective is to increase their potential consumer base as much as possible. Streaming is one way to accomplish this.

They want a streaming future so they can use their own solutions and bypass the 30% cut they give to the 3 console makers, just like how they all use their own client on PC to cut out Steam. That's the only reason 3rd party pubs want a streaming future.

Agreed. They want to lower the barrier to entry and cutout the middleman.

Oct 30, 2017
Streaming is the furture. Its just a few years early.
This, and why is it the future?

Because the future of gaming will be driven by 8 year olds who today largely play streamed-like games and want on demand experiences. Anyone over the age of 20 is going to be bred out of the industry. Your opinion won't matter in the face of an emerging market who demands instant gratification and will be willing to take sacrifices along with it.

If you call not owning stuff personally anymore, loss of control over "your" games and being the bitch or a "marionette" of a service the future, then yes. Dark times.

Hows your CD collection going?

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
"Please buy our new streaming box in 2020, it's not the best way to play, but it's definitely a way to play."

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the biggest thing MS learned from their always online debacle. Do not restrict options and force customers to do something one way, instead provide plenty of options and let customers decide what's best for them.

Yup, their original plan for the Xbox was never going to work. Atleast now their new leadership recognizes that.

OP
OP
GameZone

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
This, and why is it the future?

Because the future of gaming will be driven by 8 year olds who today largely play streamed-like games and want on demand experiences. Anyone over the age of 20 is going to be bred out of the industry. Your opinion won't matter in the face of an emerging market who demands instant gratification and will be willing to take sacrifices along with it.

In the future 8 year olds will probably be able to download and play high demanding games on their tablets within seconds to get the premium experience.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

It's fine, but what's even better is my over 350 Blu Ray big movie collection. Best quality, best sound, hours of extras for every movie, several movie cuts, several uncut movies that you wouldn't get anywhere else and nobody ever can take them away from me. No licensing issues, not being dependant of what a service gives me or what not. Every single film in his own little case, which I can physically take out of my shelf. It's amazing, what a good feeling.

Thanks for asking.

Aug 23, 2018
It's fine, but what's even better is my over 350 Blu Ray big movie collection. Best quality, best sound, hours of extras for every movie, several movie cuts, several uncut movies that you wouldn't get anywhere else and nobody ever can take them away from me. No licensing issues, not being dependant of what a service gives me or what not. Every single film in his own little case, which I can physically take out of my shelf. It's amazing, what a good feeling.

Thanks for asking.

That's a lot of movies dude.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If discs ever get eliminated, im basically done with gaming because while people think otherwise, I believe a digital and/or streaming only setup would not only increase prices but I don't think that there would ever be any kind of sale or discount. Physical Discs IS what makes games go on sale digitally. Even now, you see years old games still cost $60 digitally when not on sale. Imagine what the price and cost would be if there's no competition.

Physical Discs IS the competition for digital and streaming. Without it, publishers will fuck over every gamer a billion times more than they already do simply because if you really want to play a game, you'll have no other option or choice but to pay the full price for the game even years after release. Some will say the other publishers will be the competition but I disagree. First, I think outside of the top 10 to maybe 20 publishers, majority would die out because majority of gamers aren't going to take a chance on the $60 Elex's and Immortal Unchained's of the world. It's just not going to happen. Second, I wouldn't doubt for a second that all the publishers would have an agreement amongst themselves to never lower the prices.

It would take them longer to make as much money as they do now but they would still make that money. Instead of a few months, it would take a year or two. Because think about it, say GTA 6 is $80 and is never ever going on sale. I would say that 90% of gamers who want to play GTA 6 will do so day one. The other 10% will eventually give in. I also believe that due to all of this, you'll see less games being released. Publishers will stick to what they know will sell for them and that's it. Any of them taking risks would be gone.

Of course, this is just my own personal belief and opinion based on one thing - Publishers now rarely if ever pass on their savings to the consumer so what makes anyone think that without physical discs creating competition for digital and streaming, that they would all of a sudden pass on their savings from there no longer being physical discs onto us - the consumers. It's just not going to happen.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Great response. It seems like we are on the same page. Am I at home playing my games? Then I'm playing on dedicated hardware.

Am I out on the road with work and I have my laptop with me? Then I'm streaming.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
I mean lots of places in the world are JUST getting decent internet for browsing, YouTube etc. I don't know about where you guys live, but most people just don't have the infrastructure, or would be unwilling to pay top dollar for the best internet speeds to get it.

I hear other people talk about PS Now but I can barely get it running.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pity the Windows team does not agree with you.

What a weird way to twist this around. You also have the Xbox to stream to. Did you somehow forget Microsoft is also a business and would use exclusives to entice people like literally anyone else? Steam hardly makes any games on their own anymore and don't have hardware to sell to. Is DOTA on consoles? Does GOG make their own games or hardware ?

You're basically trying to change the whole meaning of what this topic is about, which is options to gamers and how streaming is not going to mean you cannot buy the games still and play like we already do. EA doesn't even sell hardware but they even restrict their titles to their store because guess what they have their own service on the PC. What a revelation they want you to use their services !

I mean lots of places in the world are JUST getting decent internet for browsing, YouTube etc. I don't know about where you guys live, but most people just don't have the infrastructure, or would be unwilling to pay top dollar for the best internet speeds to get it.

I hear other people talk about PS Now but I can barely get it running.

This is why streaming is not taking over. Not everyone wants to stream games either. However it's nice to see more options being presented.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.

Thanks for asking.
1307003667670_1307003667670_r.jpg

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having it as an option rather than the only option is a much better way at looking at any new technology.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This is an interesting quote, because I've seen xCloud - and whatever rumored streaming box that will release fairly soon - framed as Microsoft's renewed push for the mass market and potential mechanism for recapturing market share lost during the XB1 era. I've also seen it argued that this streaming box will be the cheaper sibling to Scarlet, which might be $500 given X's release price.

So I wonder how reflective this remark is of Microsoft's overall attitude on streaming and the degree to which they're internally positioning it as a mass market device. It may be that it's conceived as a slow burn, with the first streaming box and Azure backend merely laying the groundwork.
It's seen as opening up whole new markets, think China and India for example ... Has the potential for huge market expansion in the medium to long term. It's not so much about Japan and America Sony vs MS, as it is a whole new market and strategy.