• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 campaign was great, the online though I don't know what's happened it's like the studio hadn't done UE or gears 4, low map count, 3 months before new maps, a crazy paywall for characters and skins

Oct 27, 2017
No reason to doubt Phil statement, but everyone can see Gears 5 was already out of NPD top 20 in October. By comparison, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, which was labelled as a huge failure by Ubisoft, maintained it's position at #6 (without PC sales I believe, since the game is not on Steam).

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
And that's the official word on the matter. Also, Gamepass active users is the metric that's important to MS, Gears 5 did 3 mill at launch I think. Much better then Gears 4.

Well deserved for Gears 5 though, best gears yet, and one of the best TPS this gen.
Is that players from gamepass because I don't think it sold 3 million full priced copies at launch?

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This would need to include game pass to make sense.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
And there it is.

And a good reminder that it's not console warring to want a little more detail than a passing sentence from a corporate head about a game's sales. The defensiveness and anger on this forum against those who dare to dive a bit more deeply into these kind of things is completely excessive.

Oct 27, 2017
Is that players from gamepass because I don't think it sold 3 million full priced copies at launch?

Yes, 3 million players, nothing was shared about unit sold.

Guess Zhuge's post confirms something is fishy anyway. If we speak about units sold, I don't see anything in UK/US charts that could imply that Gears 5 did better than Gears 4.

Might have been some confusion during the interview ? Phil does seems to talk about units sold, but in the same ITW he also says himself that the only success metric that matters for Microsoft now is the number of players.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Great news.
Its sooo close to being my GOTY I actually go back and forth on it. I wasn't a huge fan of Act 3 but everything else was better than pretty much every other Gears

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Escape mode is the only thing worth it for Gears 5. Took the series to ground with that shit campaign and MP

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I mean Gears 4 hardly set the world alight but I'd be shocked if this was units sold seeing how quick the game vanished from the charts and sold weak out of the gates. Has to include some metric from GP.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
How is the player retention ? That's what matters now if I understood right ? Do we have any number besides the 3 millions from launch period ?

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I'm surprised especially with Game pass being a thing now. Who is buying £50 games when £1 game pass exists? In my opinion it was a proper swimming in 7's kind of game, nothing great but wasn't bad either.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Everywhere you turn...news comes out that tells gamepass isn't harming gaming. Yet.....
I don't think anyone believes gaming is being harmed today. It's a concern about two years from now, or 4 years from now. We're currently in the phase where Microsoft have decided to spend a bunch of money and take a big loss to push game pass. The question is how will things look when they're not willing to spend so much and take large losses.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
No reason to doubt Phil statement, but everyone can see Gears 5 was already out of NPD top 20 in October. By comparison, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, which was labelled as a huge failure by Ubisoft, maintained it's position at #6 (without PC sales I believe, since the game is not on Steam).

MS had to know that was going to be the case though. They basically gave it away for free and I'm assuming it led to a lot of people re-upping their subscriptions

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone believes gaming is being harmed today. It's a concern about two years from now, or 4 years from now. We're currently in the phase where Microsoft have decided to spend a bunch of money and take a big loss to push game pass. The question is how will things look when they're not willing to spend so much and take large losses.

2 years...4 years....WHEN they decide not to spend money. The argument is legitimately.... just wait for anything bad to happen.

I refuse to enjoy my hobby that way.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Didn't we see many metrics showing how poorly it sold, but many downloads on game pass. Do game pass numbers count as sales now?

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Maybe he was talking about revenue, its the only way it makes sense.
You know, including all the game pass money from sept 1-30.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What is the context of his comment here? Is he including Game Pass, a particular window of time? Revenue? Any specific regions? Because this seems surprising given how UK/US sales went, unless Mexico and South America really did come in with that assist.

Honestly though, I wish Microsoft and Phil would just stop being so vague about everything and just give us actual numbers and more specific details, you know, like the other platform holders and other publishers do.

In any case, Gears 5 certainly deserves to have sold more, since it's a much better game compared to 4.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
christ, these's a real disconnect between Phil praising the game, it winning awards, and it's current state with fans of the IP.

take a look on Reddit, twitter, even here and you'll see massive dissatisfaction with how game has been handled.
Go to any subreddit of a game 2 months after launch and you'll see the same thing

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Without numbers, he might as well be farting Mozart in the wind. I believe him, but this is of little substance in the end.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I hate how Phil never gives us raw numbers.

How am I supposed to argue with people online?

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
I didn't enjoy the campaign of Gears 5 as much as I enjoyed Gears 4. It was solid, but it was missing something to make it truly stand out.

Glad to know its sold well, gotta see how Gears 6 wraps up the second trilogy.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Gears 4 was solid, but 5 feels like a return to form. Great news
4 literally had the same structure as the first game, slightly horror elements, takes place in a short span of time. How is 5 a return to form when it deviates from it? I'm serious I just keep seeing this said all over.
Gears 4 > Gears 5 camp here I'm sorry everyone

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly getting people on gamepass might be better for them than a regular sale, because you've probably got those people on the hook for next-gen as well. Why do you think they're pushing gamepass to begin with.

4 literally had the same structure as the first game, slightly horror elements, takes place in a short span of time. How is 5 a return to form when it deviates from it? I'm serious I just keep seeing this said all over.
Gears 4 > Gears 5 camp here I'm sorry everyone

They mean a 'return to form' as in back to be being good again, not that it has the exact same structure.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly getting people on gamepass might be better for them than a regular sale, because you've probably got those people on the hook for next-gen as well. Why do you think they're pushing gamepass to begin with.

They mean a 'return to form' as in back to be being good again, not that it has the exact same structure.
I agree, locking folks in is a main goal for these companies.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

What's that line that Detective Pikachu says...

giphy.gif

Krov87

Oct 31, 2017
Wrong. Unless the two games shipped on the same day, against the same games, those two numbers are irrelevant for deciding how well they did against each other.
Well, they not represent 100% of the data, but irrelevant?
If the game charts a lot lower everywhere including digital now, its nearly impossible that its the better seller.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
And there it is.

And a good reminder that it's not console warring to want a little more detail than a passing sentence from a corporate head about a game's sales. The defensiveness and anger on this forum against those who dare to dive a bit more deeply into these kind of things is completely excessive.

Yeah.

But sometimes people are selective when they show concern...

That is a battleground in the Neverending console conflict.