KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
All of you, drop the inane arguments about who is and who isn't allowed to have feelings about this story. Any further posts that try to dismiss and discredit fellow users like that will be actioned accordingly.

During XO18, Phil Spencer said
I think we've got a ton of work to do on Windows. And Windows is something that I'm very committed to and I've heard all the feedback about our store. I'm going to take a bigger leadership role with what's going on with the Windows Store, making it really tailored towards the gamers that we know want to see the best from what we have to offer. It's going to be a fun journey.

https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject...spencer-taking-bigger-role-windows-store/amp/

Last edited by a moderator:

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
As with all things Microsoft and pc gaming. ..

Stop talking about it just do it. Until then it's meaningless. Now about 15 years behind just do it already.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Lose UWP, fix stability, make good offers, broad your library, make a functional ui, disconnect it from OS, stop building a walled garden and we 're game.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Does this mean the Xbox team will be responsible for their own gaming store? Or will it still be 2 divisions fighting for one bone?

Guess we'll have to see. We've seen promises of improvements (To be fair, we've seen incremental improvements) since 2015. It's time to show the new pc strategy. How are you going to cater to a pc centric crowd? How are you going to solve issues with UWP and the Store? Will games continue to be on Steam? Etc.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
He's always commited .They're always commited. It's like a parody how often they use that term.

I will be pleasantly surprised when they actually have a platform on PC that the audience is comfortable with, but until they prove themselves, this is just more of the same talk we've heard before.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Add it to the list.

I hope it's true!

Edit: Obviously first party games came, but there's still a lot of work needed to improve their offering for PC gamers.

Oct 26, 2017
Does this mean the Xbox team will be responsible for their own gaming store? Or will it still be 2 divisions fighting for one bone?

Guess we'll have to see. We've seen promises of improvements (To be fair, we've seen incremental improvements) since 2015. It's time to show the new pc strategy. How are you going to cater to a pc centric crowd? How are you going to solve issues with UWP and the Store? Will games continue to be on Steam? Etc.

Windows division needs it to popularize the Windows Store.

Exclusive content will drive the adoption, they want their walled garden to be accepted and the easier way to get this into people's mind is with content you can only find there. And game is an easier proposition than... idk, making MS Office exclusive to UWP lmao

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
Didn't he say something similar during E3? What division or team is responsible for the Windows Store? Can he really do what he says he's going to do if he's not the VP in charge of the division that develops the Windows store?

If the Windows Store team reports to Rajesh Jha how much influence does Phil Spencer really have?

Last edited:

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same old song and dance when it comes to MS and PC gamers. At this point we're begging you to just stop and put the games on Steam. Any more involvement than that results in bad things happening.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
It'll have more meaning when changes are actually implemented. Until then it's more PR spinning of wheels.

Their reputation in this area greatly precedes them.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Would be nice if they actually got their shit together here. It's sad how the store is still having issues after all this time.

As with all things Microsoft and pc gaming. ..

Stop talking about it just do it. Until then it's meaningless. Now about 15 years behind just do it already.

He was asked a question. Do you expect him to just not say anything and walk away?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Windows division needs it to popularize the Windows Store.

Exclusive content will drive the adoption, they want their walled garden to be accepted and the easier way to get this into people's mind is with content you can only find there. And game is an easier proposition than... idk, making MS Office exclusive to UWP lmao

They are missing millions of dollars because of the store. If they keep fighting over it at Microsoft they won't get anywhere with it. Pushing exclusivity without improving the service is a nice way to make customers mad and unhappy.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
idontbelieveyou.gif

The windows store is so bad, I see no way of saving it. Especially since this is MS who talks big and then fucks everything up.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even just the store interface itself, something's messed up at a base level with UWP games and Windows 10. Like just let the Horizon games launch on my machines. I literally can't play them. (Yes, I've tried all of the supposed solutions)

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same old song and dance when it comes to MS and PC gamers. At this point we're begging you to just stop and put the games on Steam. Any more involvement than that results in bad things happening.
You think Satya signed those studio acquisitions cheques so that their products would skip their Store?
Lol.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, but the store on Xbox is also shit. (But to a lesser degree). On a One X it is a dreadful thing to use.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I'm with others on here, please make Xbox store separate than windows store. I think doing that would do wonders for everyone. Let me manage and purchase XBOX games from within the same setup as Xbox fonscon. Not fight through the bullshit, and office apps to get gears or Halo.

I'll believe it when I see it Philly.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
If only they had a conference with which to announce sweeping changes to their PC gaming plan. Too bad they have no such avenue so Phil doesn't have an opportunity to show what exciting things they have in store so he can just give us vague promises.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

I gave them a chance when many didn't (mostly to play KI), but this is where I am now.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what that's supposed to mean.
They will have their hands full if they're really commited. More user friendly game downloads and patches, better UI, less compatibility problems, less bullshit like forced Windows 10 updates, better pricing and sales, bigger library, better search engine...

Removing UWP is very unlikely imo but it would be a huge step forward.

Nov 11, 2017
Typically I'd call bs coming from Ms but this is Phil Spencer he has more than kept up majority of his promises. So I will wait and see

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twelvefold, shame on me!

Nothing more than empty talk.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
But as we know from past, this is just PR BS. They've sung same song for years now, no reason to believe them anymore.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Great, wake me up when you actually do something and when W10 stops having critical bugs every 2 weeks.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
And boy that KB+M announcement yesterday was a whole bunch of nothing. Teasing a Razer keyboard reveal, then actually only teasing it again for next year.

No PC games ported over to Xbox One to take advantage of KB+M, no Age of Empires, no Rise of Nations.

And for pc gamers there was nothing too. If you are going to talk about Xbox as a platform (Xbox, pc and streaming) you should pay attention to ALL your customers. Where is Gamepass for PC? Where was Age of Empires 4 or even the 2 & 3 remakes? Where was Gears Tactics…

Only thing we got was another mention from Phil that the store sucks. We know.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
What are the main problems with the Windows store?

I have never noticed any issues when using

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Well, considering how much cred you guys here give Phil for what have changed since Don Mattrick. Wouldn't you see this as a good thing?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
It seems fairly ignorant to hold new regimes responsible for the failures of the past ones. What has Phil Spencer, Nadella and Panos Panay done to disappoint since they've taken the reigns of Xbox?

I said it in another thread but:

Microsoft is bringing most, if not all, of its internally developed games to PC. Nadella is on record saying that Game Pass is coming to PC. Microsoft just purchased two extremely PC centric developers, and has games like Age of Empires and Gears Tactics in development. They just brought Mouse and Keyboard support to Xbox, which suggests they'll have a reason to need those peripherals for consoles.

And Phil Spencer has acknowledged that there are problems with the Microsoft Store, and has said that he has taken on a personal role in working with that team to improve things - especially when it comes to gamers. Their actions seem to indicate that they're legitimately serious about improving their place PC.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

You could divide the problems into two categories
- The philosophy/vision behind it
- The actual bugs, UI and userfriendlyness of it all

It's built as a store for everything on Windows 10. So you can get your Netflix app, your Candy Crush, your progressive web apps and your 100GB games in one place. So it's cluttered, has no focus and it will never be able to tailor to all these different kind of markets.
The programs on the store are UWP's, which are inherently different than what gamers are used to. Normal games are win32's that can often times be tweaked. UWP's are much more closed off.

And this would all be 'alright' for most mainstream consumers.. but the store is filled with problems. Games not being able to download, games downloading all over again, games not starting, Windows updates destroying things, etc.

.. to top it off games are more expensive on the Microsoft Store than they are on any other pc gaming platform because of Play Anywhere.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They will have their hands full if they're really commited. More user friendly game downloads and patches, better UI, less compatibility problems, less bullshit like forced Windows 10 updates, better pricing and sales, bigger library, better search engine...

Removing UWP is very unlikely imo but it would be a huge step forward.

UWP isn't really the main problem, and frankly from a developers point of view has a lot of benefits. Yeah, the enthusiasts which this place is home to get their modding lives made more difficult, which is certainly an issue but not mainstream.

The real problem is the seemingly stupidly fragile delivery system. Heck, if the delivery system just worked like it was meant to (you press download, game downloads and installs, great. Updates happen automatically, correct drivers are pulled a for you - the basic shit), I think most people would at least suffer using it.

Clearly it's UI isn't as geared towards gaming as Steam, but that wasn't a concern for the Windows team in charge of it.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

I never used to have an issue with it initially despite it being clunky, inelegant, and full of junk to sift through, but after some update, I lost the ability for Horizon 3 (and now 4) to even run anymore and no solution fixes it. I literally can't play the game I bought at all anymore.