• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017

Phil reiterates that they want more first-party power in the "E for everyone" sector, as well as geographically more diverse studios. He says they'll keep growing first-party just as Xbox and Game Pass grows. He also makes a good comment on the whole "acquisitions are bad!" kind of thing.

He also says very boldly the Xbox brand today is in the best position ever with hardware, first-party, service etc. -- still says it's early in this whole journey.

Massive opportunity in the PC gaming sector.

Congratulates Sony on their new studios.

Phil knows they need to get better at localization etc. on their own games they ship.

Remembers Robert A. Altman; he would've been proud of the teams and the showcase.

Excited about Avowed. "We want to give Obsidian the budget and time to build the best game they can build."

Ryan kind of wanted Phil to push into a "Halo Infinite is the franchise do or die" moment, and Phil doesn't agree. He believes in the team and the game and does not like the idea of putting that pressure on the team. Halo will be here in 10 years. Halo Infinite aims to be a fantastic Halo game first and foremost, team is fully focused on getting that right, really happy with the reception on multiplayer.

xCloud gives the opportunity to not leave Xbox One players behind. Native hardware will be the best experience, but it's a great bridge opportunity.

Chip shortages will stay a problem for quite some time. Apologizes. "The demand for Xbox hardware never was higher than it is today."

Xbox team is a crucial part of Microsoft with influence on other areas and teams. Broad impact on Windows etc., proud about that, Xbox never was in that position before, Satya embraces that opportunity.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Thought this was a great interview. Phil always gives great interviews and in this one in particular he comes off as very authentic, though he usually always is anyway.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Just finished it up. Great interview. Phil always seem like a genuine person.

I like the quick edit to avoid the ES question tho haha.

Sucks about the chip shortage i hope i can find a series x soon :(

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
Ryan kind of wanted Phil to push into a "Halo Infinite is the franchise do or die" moment, and Phil doesn't agree. He believes in the team and the game and does not like the idea of putting that pressure on the team. Halo will be here in 10 years. Halo Infinite aims to be a fantastic Halo game first and foremost, team is fully focused on getting that right, really happy with the reception on multiplayer.

He needs to stop with this crap, just like when he peddles "This E3 is the most important ever for Xbox" every year like they are going bankrupt or something

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Ok team given Phil's call out of family content

when do we hear about viva piñata and banjo remakes

pls Phil pls

but also who can make them? Rare is content on new IP, the rpg powerhouses are tapped with multiple projects. Double fine? Dlala? External?

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Noticed Phil is using the lucidsound headset, which is arguably the best overall Xbox headset. Way better than the 100 dollar one and not overpriced like the beoplays.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for posting OP.
Phil reiterates that they want more first-party power in the "E for everyone" sector, as well as geographically more diverse studios. He says they'll keep growing first-party just as Xbox and Game Pass grows. He also makes a good comment on the whole "acquisitions are bad!" kind of thing.
This probably means they'll be looking into getting more devs from Japan and Europe.
He also says very boldly the Xbox brand today is in the best position ever with hardware, first-party, service etc. -- still says it's early in this whole story

Excited about Avowed. "We want to give Obsidian the budget and time to build the best game they can build."
some very interesting stuff.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Phil mentions Xbox and Bethesda were in talks years before the acquisition was announced. It was a long process they were working on.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Phil mentions Xbox and Bethesda were in talks years before the acquisition was announced. It was a long process they were working on.

Yeah, I had heard that talks first started in 2018, but things didn't start to become serious until last year. I mean if Housemarque could have taken a year to close, then an entire publisher is obviously going to take even longer.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Phil is pretty based

When I sit here today, I feel very incredibly fortunate and privileged, and I use that word specifically cause there's some things about who I am and what I look like and my gender and stuff that have helped get into this position and others haven't had that same opportunity so it's one of the things I think about in this position of how do I allow more people and enable more people that don't just look like an old white guy in the tech industry of the faces of what we do.

He goes a bit more on that.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I like these interviews and Spencer is good in them. Some neat details, although nothing groundbreaking. But that's to be expected. Still nice to hear from higher ups every now and then.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.gameinformer.com

Microsoft’s Phil Spencer Says Studio Acquisitions Are A Good Thing

Spencer talked to IGN candidly about his feelings on the recent upsurge in acquisitions.
"It doesn't mean every team has to end up selling their studio but I think it a natural and healthy part of our industry that certain teams will start a studio—many of them will fail, we know most small businesses fail, whether it's video games or anything else—but those that make it through and at such a kind of risk-filled journey for them, to get to the point to create real value, I'm always going to congratulate when teams get to the point where they realize that value through acquisition or just massive independent success if that's the path they also start to on."

Vic2003

Dec 8, 2017
Interesting how the video cuts away from his response regarding TES 6 exclusivity. I'm sure it will be exclusive but don't understand why they don't just say it.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Interesting how the video cuts away from his response regarding TES 6 exclusivity. I'm sure it will be exclusive but don't understand why they don't just say it.
Theyre probably saving it for a bic mic drop moment at a future e3, like with the huge screen shouting that starfield is XBOX EXCLUSIVE at this e3

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Phil is a likeable guy. Some very candid responses here... I like that it wasn't a pre-approved questions type of discussion. It shows! Even though I rolled my eyes at some of the questions (Phil immediately laughing at the inevitable "economics of game pass" question was perfect).

Interesting that he was talking with the late Robert Altman about the Bethesda acquisition for years before it happened, and that the whole thing would've never gone through if Todd was not personally on board.