• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Excellent interview. Phil's candidness is truly admirable. I skipped Xbox this gen, but with things like game pass, cross play and the studio acquisitions that will hopefully lead to better and more interesting first party games, I might very well get an Xbox Scarlett alongside the Playstation 5 next gen.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe you used to be looked at as an insider, rough times we were in smh
U7nc8Jr.gif

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Cross posting from the GB thread.

Watching the Phil Spencer interview.

Man .. Jeff is a freaking incredible interviewer. And Phil is an amazing guest.

These are the best part of GB's annual E3 events .. and I don't even own an Xbox.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
For months, hell an entire year, we've been inundated with this rhetoric that Anaconda would be more powerful than PS5.

Phil Spencer himself came on stage to proclaim Xbox would never again lose the power crown.

More over, we've had insiders on this forum echo this sentiment that Anaconda is more powerful than PS5.

The point is nothing is set in stone, things are fluid, and counting the PS5 out by quoting what Phil Spencer said one year ago is not accurate.

" He said that the team behind last year's launch of Xbox One X is "deep into architecting the next Xbox consoles, where we will once again deliver on our commitment to deliver the benchmark of console gaming." Please show me where he said that their next console will be more powerful?

It's your fault for believing insiders, spreading false information should not be a surprise or news to you right?

Neither Sony or MS knows the specs for each other, celebrating now is stupid.

Lastly, Glad you didn't change.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
That Halo: Infinite/Forward compatibility question at the end was amazing. I hope it comes to fruition if we xbone players that purchased Halo Infinite don't need to buy another copy for Xbox Scarlett.

Hotsuma

Oct 28, 2017
He also said he went to meet with Sega and asked to meet with the PSO team because of his love for the original. And then from there they decided to work together. In response to Jeff mentioning what happened the last time PSO2 was announced for the West, Phil said he made sure that they had a working demo - He probably meant for Xbox One - before moving forward. He thinks the series has potential to grow here in the West. Wouldn't give a real response regarding Europe though.

Thanks, fam.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
That Halo: Infinite/Forward compatibility question at the end was amazing. I hope it comes to fruition if we xbone players that purchased Halo Infinite don't need to buy another copy for Xbox Scarlett.

For the digital version they could just use the play anywhere label for that game. For physical they've been selling 360 games in Xbox One style boxes simply labeled Xbox.

Salty Hippo

Oct 25, 2017
Kept waiting for Jeff to ask something about the Banjo announcement, even if all he did was push for a new N&B. Shame he didn't, it would have been nice to get a glimpse on Spencer's mind about this. He left the subject in the air 2 times.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Great interview. In particular, the xCloud stuff really set me straight on their vision for it. It appears they want it to complement the more stable experience found with hardware. It's an option not a replacement. And as intrigued as I am by Stadia, this hybrid way of doing things is probably better since it'll ease people into the streaming option.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
He's so bad.
"I have top tier bay area internet, It works perfect!!"
"That's the magic of the experience!"

I think he is right about putting pressure on these companies though. If all of these services start coming out that require a ton of bandwidth, hopefully it causes the internet companies to rethink their strategy. Bandwidth caps are a joke.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Boy, the way Phil talked about splinter cell makes me wonder if that game is going to be a Scarlett launch title similar to how the original SC helped launch the Og Xbox.

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Fantastic interview as usual. This has become one of my favorite parts of E3 every year. I could listen to Phil talk about games and the business side of things all day...

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
GB Nite is one of the best parts of E3, with the now annual Phil interview being one of the best segments. Also loved the other segment were the talked mostly about shoes and weird horse sports.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I think he is right about putting pressure on these companies though. If all of these services start coming out that require a ton of bandwidth, hopefully it causes the internet companies to rethink their strategy. Bandwidth caps are a joke.
Maybe, but there has to be a high demand in order for that to happen. With local machines being available I don't see enough people getting into the ecosystem and pushing the data caps that would create pressure on internet providers. I see that taking a few more years at least.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Timestamp of Jack Buser hyping responsiveness of Stadia for fighting games, 16-bit era, etc.

Choicest quote:
Game experiences on Stadia will simply not be possible on a networked appliance in the living room like a PC or game console.

Context: he's talking once things are custom developed for Stadia. References Battle Royale games with, I shit you not, thousands of players on screen at once. Talks about how playing online is like a LAN party (under his breath qualifies it as 'same metropolitan area' in other words play with local people) because a millisecond or two between instances playing against each other in the same datacenter. And so on.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This was such a good interview. It gave me a lot of positive hope for the future of Xbox.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really like Phil and I don't even know what the cult of Phil means. I just genuinely enjoy him on interviews and I appreciate what he's doing for gaming.

Cross posting from the GB thread.

Watching the Phil Spencer interview.

Man .. Jeff is a freaking incredible interviewer. And Phil is an amazing guest.

These are the best part of GB's annual E3 events .. and I don't even own an Xbox.
I'd pay serious cash to replace Geoff with Jeff on that Youtube Live thing every year. Jeff is just fantastic as a whole and so is the GB crew.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In regards to PSO Phil says something about yes it'll eventually be out on all platforms. Its like around 41 min mark or so. Is this implying that ps4 and switch might be getting this? As in its Sega's move on that.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
And people wonder why he is so popular!? Dude seems an awesome guy and a real positive to Xbox.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Boy, the way Phil talked about splinter cell makes me wonder if that game is going to be a Scarlett launch title similar to how the original SC helped launch the Og Xbox.

I honestly think MS strategy for the scarlett launch is nostalgia with the heavy hitters. Imagine Fable, Halo, maybe Forza PGR and a Splinter Cell reboot. That would sell me on the machine immediately.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
In regards to PSO Phil says something about yes it'll eventually be out on all platforms. Its like around 41 min mark or so. Is this implying that ps4 and switch might be getting this? As in its Sega's move on that.
I think that too. It would be Sega's decision to launch the West version on the other platforms as it would require additional QA and support work that has nothing to do with the Xbox platform. The positive would be that the translation for Xbox and PC would be complete and the server stuff is already taken care of with Azure.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I always look forward to this. It feels like Phil lets his hair down a bit and relaxes from the E3 corporate hype.

I am about halfway through and so far it is a great interview.

Phil gets a lot of crap for his persona and character at times, particualry for the big E3 stage show, but I truly believe he is passionate about what he does and what he wants to do in gaming.

If you have any doubts, watch this interview.