• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's a perfect spokesperson for a console manufacturer. He seems to enjoy what he does and generally seems pro-consumer (or at least as pro-consumer as somebody in a massive company can be).

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Never had a problem with Phil. Though back when he was just head of studios and wasn't as well known as he is today, I wasn't sure what to think of him considering that was when MS were on a Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable/Kinect cycle. But ever since he became Head of Xbox and we got to see more of what he's like and his vision for Xbox, I've always liked him. *shrug*

This confuses me because Reggie was a marketer and not included in the actual decision making process at Nintendo.

When Reggie joined in 2003, he was initially a marketing executive, but he was promoted to president of NOA in 2006 and held that position up until his departure.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never had a problem with Phil. Though back when he was just head of studios and wasn't as well known as he is today, I wasn't sure what to think of him considering that was when MS were on a Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable/Kinect cycle. But ever since he became Head of Xbox and we got to see more of what he's like and his vision for Xbox, I've always liked him. *shrug*

When Reggie joined in 2003, he was initially a marketing executive, but he was promoted to president of NOA in 2006 and held that position up until his departure.
NOA have no input in the direction of Nintendo as a company. Their role is to market the product and at best decide which games are to be brought west. therefore Regge was a marketing guy more than anything.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
For how long Spencer has been a "good, nice guy who cares about great games", we should have already seen drastic differences in first party output

You say that like he wasn't tasked with rebuilding the brand and the first party like nobody ever has after Mattrick and Myerson ran it into the ground sideways. This wasn't just some "oh okay we'll just move this here and tighten this screw here" kind of minor recalibration. This was damn near a from-scratch Xbox division sequel in a company that looked very different last-gen. That takes a lot of time, and we've seen the groundwork being laid over a period of several years. Games don't grow on trees, let alone the healthy first party that can produce them.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
NOA have no input in the direction of Nintendo as a company. Their role is to market the product and at best decide which games are to be brought west. therefore Regge was a marketing guy more than anything.

That may be the case, but if Reggie was in charge of NOA, then that means he should've been responsible for anything to do with Nintendo's American/western operations, so he wasn't JUST a marketing guy. This also probably includes dealing with Nintendo's western first and second party studios.

Obviously NCL calls the shots at the end of the day, but at least in the 80's and 90's, NOA seemingly had plenty of its own autonomy in regards to working with third parties and searching for collaborations with western partners. Nintendo seemed to become less western focused under Iwata, so maybe things changed by the time Reggie was in charge and he didn't have that same level of autonomy, so you might be right. But ideally Reggie should've probably had more power than that based on his job title.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
One thing that stands out on Spencer is that he puts gaming forefront, not Microsoft or Xbox, but the entire industry and community of players.

Creating cheaper ways to play with Game Pass and xCloud, letting us play our games on console and PC keeping our progress, building the Xbox Adaptive Controller so more people are able to play, defending cross-play so we can all play together, and so much more.

That's not attitudes of someone who just wants Xbox to succeed, but who believes he can change this industry for the better, make an impact, unite us even more.
Sorry but you are wrong and this really reads like fan fiction, xCloud is the corporate strategy, not a service for you to make your hobby better, hosting video games is a huge goal for Microsoft.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
He seems like a genuinely nice guy, so I can see why people have taken a liking to him. He tries to actually answer tough questions instead of dodging them the way other execs do. In the end though, yeah, he is just trying to sell things to us, but it's refreshing to see someone in that position who feels earnest in the things he says.

Gronnd

Oct 27, 2017
I do like him. Seems pretty genuine. Hero worship from xbox fans can get a bit much though.

Talks A LOT. Probably a little too much.

Has been very innovative, which has been great for the industry, and me personally. Of course he was forced to be innovative since they were getting annihilated by Sony.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
You say that like he wasn't tasked with rebuilding the brand and the first party like nobody ever has after Mattrick and Myerson ran it into the ground sideways. This wasn't just some "oh okay we'll just move this here and tighten this screw here" kind of minor recalibration. This was damn near a from-scratch Xbox division sequel in a company that looked very different last-gen. That takes a lot of time, and we've seen the groundwork being laid over a period of several years. Games don't grow on trees, let alone the healthy first party that can produce them.
This right here. Though Phil IMO talked up first party a bit too much during their '15-late '17 period when the division was being constricted. He did make great strides in HW and platform features during that time, but it was at the same time Sony's massive first party games started to dominate the conversation, followed up by Switch's launch and it incredible first year of software.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I think Phil Spencer is a great leader (though it is funny that people here are idolizing him after years of lecturing others on not doing that for a multi-billion dollar company's excutive who is only after your money), but at the same time I don't think the situation for the Xbox brand improved to the same degree you think it did.
I think it depends on how you look at it. The games are still heavily lacking but as a platform, there's a lot of greatness. Back compat for all Xbox gens (select games of course), Game Pass, getting Xbox Live ON Nintendo and PlayStation platforms is crazy, Xbox on PC, etc etc

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Don't play Xbox anymore but he helped get Banjo in Smash so he's alright by me.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
His GiantBomb interviews are great and he is pretty straight forward on most things. I really think the transparency he brings to the Xbox Division is refreshing as hell as well. Good guy to have at the top for sure.

Feb 23, 2019
I think he's okay, but he's not really the guy that has really been all that successful on the content side of things. It seems like he wants to turn that around so I'll at least credit him for that, but it's going to take a long time to build up a credible collection of studios with a proven track record. Some of the acquisitions may be a bust, and none of them have me particularly excited

I was pretty disappointed when Microsoft just relied on the same franchises, and cancelled a new IP in favor of more Gears

I don't mind sequels, but MS just got complacent with all of their franchises instead of embarking on something bold and new, and I feel like Phil cares more about catering to the base than trying to expand it

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
"Our guy"? Gross. I really like him, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day he's an exec trying to sell us products. He's seems very likeable with some initiatives that benefits consumers, but let's not pretend wants anything more.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This reminds me of the 'I Believe in Harvey Dent' in Dark Knight.

Never. Idolize. Anyone. Ever.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Never taken to him he say everything the best ever every time he on stage "this is the best ever line up ever" "this is the best ever mix of games""best ever year for ....... fill in space"

XSX i can tell he will say "the best ever line up for xbox launch we ever had, And the best ever games Xbox ever had"

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I think he's okay, but he's not really the guy that has really been all that successful on the content side of things. It seems like he wants to turn that around so I'll at least credit him for that, but it's going to take a long time to build up a credible collection of studios with a proven track record. Some of the acquisitions may be a bust, and none of them have me particularly excited

I was pretty disappointed when Microsoft just relied on the same franchises, and cancelled a new IP in favor of more Gears

I don't mind sequels, but MS just got complacent with all of their franchises instead of embarking on something bold and new, and I feel like Phil cares more about catering to the base than trying to expand it

Given their announcements in the past 6 months alone, there are signs that is changing. Yes, the 'new IP' was cancelled for the Coalition, but what about Rare's activity now, or the purchasing/founding of multiple studios?

This shit takes time and is already showing signs of bearing fruit. No, there's no guarantee any of these games will be galaxy-crushing works of revelation, but I'm fairly confident that a lot of people will enjoy them, which is actually the main reason we are here, talking about this stuff. Contrast MS of 3 years ago with them now: 4 new games, 3 being new IP, announced at the last two public events they've had a presence at, and that's without E3 and excluding unreleased-but-already-announced games, like Flight Sim and AoEIV. You don't have to go far back to find it a much quieter scene: E3 + Gamescom sometimes for a year in which there might be that many games announced total. You don't have to like anything they do, it doesn't change that they are doing it.

Also (to the thread at large), the reductiveness about Xbox 'content' is interesting. Because it hasn't been as widely loved as Sony's, it's treated as near worthless by some (this is endlessly regurgitated, and endlessly tiresome). Newsflash: there's a reason there are still millions of Xbox owners, despite MS's worst efforts late-last/early-this gen: lots of people enjoy these games because they are actually fun (radical, I know!), most of the time.

I can type all this without thinking much of anything about Phil Spencer.

We do it to ourselves, as ever.

Last edited:

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Never taken to him he say everything the best ever every time he on stage "this is the best ever line up ever" "this is the best ever mix of games""best ever year for ....... fill in space"

XSX i can tell he will say "the best ever line up for xbox launch we ever had, And the best ever games Xbox ever had"
Haha buzz words/phrases will never go away.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm indifferent

He like any other company is a business guy, he's not my friend. I have no allegiance to the Microsoft brand or any brand for that matter.

people need to stop thinking of these corporate executives doing decisions based on good intent.....the only "good" intent they have is the one that affects the money they make. They are not your buddy

He's definitely the best person they have had though since the gaming trio from the 360 launch days though for decisions.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

The PR blabber is dire, absolutely.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Marketing is getting to you when you think any "Head of" a major company is your guy. It's all marketing, it's all planned and it's all produced. Just judge by the games you want to play.

sirronoh

Oct 25, 2017
Idolizing executives from any corporation is cringeworthy. There has to be more meaning to life than this, but hey, more power to you.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
ilZ6O2K.png

Haha, amazing!