• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
We haven't talked about the business model yet. We're here with the public preview to let people try it out, which is cool. It's the first time we've had a hands-on for people who don't work at Microsoft, so we're learning a lot and listening a lot. We announced a date for when it's coming, and we will be talking about a business model before it comes so people know what to do to sign up. As you think about a subscription like Xbox Game Pass, I do think the idea of Xbox Game Pass and an xCloud-like subscription makes a ton of sense. Think about what the convergence of those two things looks like. I think it's smart to think about. We haven't announced anything there, but I'd say that idea makes a ton of sense. How do I build my library? Xbox Game Pass is a great way for you to secure a bunch of content. Then, how do I get access to that library wherever I go? Do I use hardware that's Microsoft's or hardware that's my own in my home?

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I have 36 months of xbox live gold, xbox game pass and xbox game pass for pc due to the one dollar deal. I'm set for the next 3 years. If they can add xcloud to the mix. It will be Xbox Voltron confirmed.

Oct 25, 2017

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
If they see mobile as the first market they're tapping, then I imagine we will see them develop a controller at some point.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always doubted it would be a separate subscription. There's just too many options at that point.

I did assume that XBL Gold would be the ideal home for it, but I'm assuming their plan is to sunset that eventually so this makes sense.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they do this, i dont know how anyone can compete, thats amazing value.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
if i were to guess, they will either have an xcloud sub or include it with gold, but have it included in game pass ultimate as well.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I'll be pissed if they do this and I missed out on getting it cheap.
I've been looking forward to xcloud because I have to use Windows 7 so I can't play any modern Microsoft games.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
It only makes sense for it to be bundled with Game Pass Ultimate.

Currently, you have separate subscriptions for:
Xbox Live
Game Pass
Game Pass PC

You just created an Ultimate bundle that groups all that together. Why would you make your audience subscribe to something else outside of that?

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Gamepass ( and xcloud soon ) just keeps on giving. Set for 3 years so bring it.

So strange...
The marketing is almost none existing in Europe that should be turned up a few notches....

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think xCloud will require Live Gold to play online multiplayer?

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be pissed if they do this and I missed out on getting it cheap.
I've been looking forward to xcloud because I have to use Windows 7 so I can't play any modern Microsoft games.
Pretty sure you didn't miss out. Just buy however many months of gold then pay one dollar for Ultimate and boom

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
Pretty sure you didn't miss out. Just buy however many months of gold then pay one dollar for Ultimate and boom

This is unconfirmed and doesn't have a release date. I'd be paying $60 for something I can't use which is not confirmed I can.
I would not get a refund if they chose to implement it another way.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I fucking love this because it forces Sony's hand. We know they're toying with the idea of a more "premium" service, but this effectively will push them into "we have to wrap PS+ and PSNow together for $15, and dramatically improve the PS+ Library". I really hope that MS goes this route and continues to kill it with Services, because Sony desperately needs that wakeup call.

Competition is gooooood.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fully expected if I'm being honest.

Charge people to play and then still have to buy games?

Bundling it lets people have a ton of games to stream right away.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
$20 per month?

Ultimate is already $15 and no way they allow you to stream from their hardware for free - they pointed out you can use your own console for free which implies xCloud is a cost.

Bundled with doesn't mean 'included at no cost with'

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimately, Xcloud's secret sauce is that they've already got the Xbox One back catalogue to tap into, plus continued support from developers (since I suspect that all Xbox One games moving forward and all Scarlett games will be "Xcloud ready"). Stadia, in comparison, is basically starting from scratch and reliant on developers making Linux ports.

The one advantage Stadia has is that they're going to be offering a free tier, which means that anyone (in a supported country) can buy a Stadia game without any further financial commitment (to Google). It doesn't appear that Microsoft is planning on matching that, but as Phil said, the precise business model is TBA.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Wait. How does that work?
"As an Insider benefit, when you join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate to give feedback, we will apply any prepaid time you have on Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass or both toward Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, up to a maximum of 36-months.

For example, if you have 3-months of Xbox Live Gold and 3-months of Xbox Game Pass already in your account and join Ultimate as an Insider, you will be charged $1 for your first month. For subsequent months, we will apply 6 months toward your Xbox Game Pass Ultimate (up to a maximum of 36-months).

You can cancel your Ultimate membership at any time, and you will continue to have access to your Ultimate benefits until your prepaid time ends, at which point you will not be charged again. The upgrade of any prepaid time cannot be reverted back to Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass."

m23

Oct 25, 2017
If this is included in Gamepass Ultimate for $15, then that is phenomenal value, but I think the price may go up to include XCloud.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Also makes no sense to bundle in with gamepass if you just want to stream your own purchases. So surely they have to have a separate cost option? Unless they let you stream purchases for free like stadia (you'd still need xbl for online)

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
We agree on that one, Phil.

Cloud adoption was always going to be the big thing. And having such good value already existing with Game Pass, which also brings a pretty big base audience to boot, XCloud's got a good head start.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
If this is included in Gamepass Ultimate for $15, then that is phenomenal value, but I think the price may go up to include XCloud.
That's possible. May be called Xbox Platinum, Xbox Diamond? I think they are working on the details. And watching what happens with Stadia. Trials are in october I think.