• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft must be laughing, how many subs can we push. They'll have to do something like axe Gold or make the all in one value so good that it basically does under the table. It starts to look a bit ridiculous when you have so many subs, crossing over, gold games, game pass etc. Don't get greedy.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft must be laughing, how many subs can we push. They'll have to do something like axe Gold or make the all in one value so good that it basically does under the table. It starts to look a bit ridiculous when you have so many subs, crossing over, gold games, game pass etc. Don't get greedy.
Oh boy. That would drive subs through the roof.

xMaximusx

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The title of this thread doesn't match what he says

I do think the idea of Xbox Game Pass and an xCloud-like subscription makes a ton of sense.

Sounds like xCloud will be a subscription, it doesn't say anything about bundling them although I imagine Ultimate would include everything. But title isn't accurate

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
if i were to guess, they will either have an xcloud sub or include it with gold, but have it included in game pass ultimate as well.
Yeah, I'm trying to go over the different ways it could be done.

Other article he did say free. So...maybe no new sub for xCloud but included in an existing sub.

What's interesting is what about connecting to your console to remote play.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$20 per month?

Ultimate is already $15 and no way they allow you to stream from their hardware for free - they pointed out you can use your own console for free which implies xCloud is a cost.

Bundled with doesn't mean 'included at no cost with'

Doesn't mean "will cost you more than you're already paying" either.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

Other article he did say free. So...maybe no new sub for xCloud but included in an existing sub.

Game streaming is free not xCloud.

Game streaming meaning from your own console hardware.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

No reason for remote play to have additional cost.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
You've been waiting for this moment. Take it in Zedox.
Bro... Looking at people saying shit I've been saying for like 2 years when people said shit like it wouldn't work because of "economies of scale" and a bunch of other bullshit. It's all the same shit. I called MS IPs being in GamePass, I called raytracing in consoles nextgen, I called tiers for GamePass... Months or years in advance and get shitted on. Every idea I've said is slowly but surely coming true. Maybe just maybe, I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Combining Xbox and PC in Xbox Game Pass makes sense too considering how they're merging the platforms, but that didn't happen.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'd be in. Upgraded to Game Pass Ultimate since it's the same cost as Gold plus Basic Game Pass. Now I have access to all these strategy games on PC that I want to play...which has me debating to upgrade my PC. If I can stream to a tablet, would make more sense. Especially for strategy games in which latency isn't going to be a major factor.

I think packaging Xcloud with a couple hundred Game Pass games would be a great compliment to local hardware.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Bro... Looking at people saying shit I've been saying for like 2 years when people said shit like it wouldn't work because of "economies of scale" and a bunch of other bullshit. It's all the same shit. I called MS IPs being in GamePass, I called raytracing in consoles nextgen, I called tiers for GamePass... Months or years in advance and get shitted on. Every idea I've said is slowly but surely coming true. Maybe just maybe, I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

To be clear, I've always agreed with you.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gold is $10 a month
Ultimate is $15 a month

Maybe Microsoft wants to convert those Gold users into Ultimate users.

Although if people aren't interested in game pass then they still get money out of you either way but imagine the cat amongst the pigeons if Microsoft made online play free next gen and just depended on Game Pass and X Cloud which could be the new replacement Ultimate.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i feel like us Game pass Ultimate Users are sitting pretty good. Iam sure they will include xCloud sub into Ultimate

#Believe

libregkd

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I think this would be a fairly obvious thing to do. Sony's model is already doing this (you can both stream and download games with a PSNow sub). So not just doing that would be real silly.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I guess MS will have research into the max someone will pay for a Sub and they'll price accordingly. Have each piecemeal sub expensive enough that the combo becomes a no brainier even though it might be more money than you want to spend

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wait. How does that work?

Explain this dollar deal to me please, sounds interesting.
Do this:
Get up to 36 months of xbox live gold as cheap as you can find ( i bought 3x12 XBL gold for 43€ a piece) and then go to the store and update your xbox account to ultimate for 1 dollar. You need to use paypal, debit, visa because it has to be set as renewable but it will only cost you 1 dollar until your sub ends.after that its 12,99 or something. but you can cancel when the time comes.

With Xbox Ultimate you will have xbox live gold, gamepass for console and gamepass for pc for only the price you paid for your XBL gold you bought.
if you still have some months of gold or gamepass left in your account you need to buy less gold/gamepass months because you can only have a total of 36 months in your account .

Last edited:

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Whatever Xbox live or game pass months you have. Ms combines them all to one. Let's say you already 12 months of live and 3 months of game pass. If you sign up for game of ultimate for just a dollar. Ms combines everything. You will now have 15 months of ultimate. If I'm wrong anyone correct me.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with Gamepass who looks at games like Halo 5 and says "I kinda want to try this, but fuck downloading 70 gigs to play the single player for 40 minutes and then never again", this would be a godsend. Something where you go to a gamepass game and it presents "start download" or "stream now" would be incredible.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I have a hard time believing this will just be part of Ultimate, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

Sounds to me like he's just saying the subscription model works, and they would apply it to xCloud as well.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Buying ultimate for $1 converts your xbox live gold sub, game pass subs up to 36 months into Ultimate so if you are going to do it, make sure you subscribe to Gold for however long you want before buying Ultimate for $1. Doesn't work the other way around.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As someone with Gamepass who looks at games like Halo 5 and says "I kinda want to try this, but fuck downloading 70 gigs to play the single player for 40 minutes and then never again", this would be a godsend. Something where you go to a gamepass game and it presents "start download" or "stream now" would be incredible.

Excellent point. That really is a game changer and needed. Yeah, they should totally include it, 100%.

Spindel

Jun 9, 2018
I would guess:

Xbox Live Gold = Stream your existing game library in 1080p.
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate = Stream your existing game library and Game Pass in 4K.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
It's hard to reach a tier beyond Ultimate...right? So would ultimate include 4K streaming? Ultimate+ would sound dumb as hell....but all that for $15 sounds a bit too good to be true.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
I have 36 months of xbox live gold, xbox game pass and xbox game pass for pc due to the one dollar deal. I'm set for the next 3 years. If they can add xcloud to the mix. It will be Xbox Voltron confirmed.
How's Microsoft making money off gamepass if people are taking advantage of gamepass discount and stacking for months for a cheap ass price. Instead of them getting revenue with originally price point they taking in far less with all this good ass discount.

For instance poster is set for 3 years he got a good ass discount according to him hard to see how they making money with people getting it for the low, except they only care about how many people is subscribed?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
To be clear, I've always agreed with you.
I know, no worries. I'm just looking at this thread and seeing people thinking that xCloud will only be apart of Ultimate...This ain't the model. I've said this last year, it will be apart of all gamepass tiers. It will just be certain things differentiating them.
GamePass: 1080p
GamePass Ultimate: 4k
People not realizing that it costs money to do these different bandwidth requirements, look at Stadia.

But you also look at things like what they did with office with their freemium version for mobile devices, but you have to pay for bigger devices. So you can see Microsoft doing something like (which I think is the most plausible thing):

And all of this backs up my reasoning that the multiplayer paywall for next gen is going to go away. I've been tooting the same horn for years since they introduced GamePass because gamepass is the next-gen of xbox's subscriptions. People here and on the other parts of the gaming net think so much about what they are used to and not what is coming. I've said it before but Microsoft is literally just making Xbox Game Pass a combination of the Office 365, and Netflix model (but perfected because they have "add-ons" like dlc/mtx).

When you look at what the MP paywall does, it literally negates a section of the population from playing a video game. They can't even get regular gamepass without ultimate, though they can, they can't take advantage of all the online games without ultimate. Once again making it less inviting. Right now, MS is just migrating everyone over with Ultimate...slowly but surely, that MP paywall will go away. What better way to get people into your ecosystem at E3 2020 than saying that you don't have to pay to play online...and their focus is gamepass. Well, now you have a streamlined approach to your offer that goes beyond just console gaming, you have an offer that is for PC gamers, Console gamers, Mobile-only gamers. It's about reaching out to as many people as possible.

But you know, I've been saying this shit for quite some time...

EDIT:
Also for those who doubt my pricing scheme...Google Stadia is free 1080p gaming with buying games. Stadia Pro is a sub that is 4K streaming with a sub that is trying to be gamepass. Microsoft has already stated that they will be competitive and this is what I figured a while ago. You need to have something that is competitive in the market...so people are going to compare what is the better value at $10...That's why you have streaming at $10 because that is what Google will be offering in the long run. MS just have more stuff than Google right now but they will try to upsell you to Ultimate, but they want to get as many people as possible at $10 because once you are in, it's easier to upsell.

Mark my words.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
How's Microsoft making money off gamepass if people are taking advantage of gamepass discount and stacking for months for a cheap ass price. Instead of them getting revenue with originally price point they taking in far less with all this good ass discount.

For instance poster is set for 3 years he got a good ass discount according to him hard to see how they making money with people getting it for the low, except they only care about how many people is subscribed?
Microsoft has thousands of acres of trees that grow money.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
If they do this, i dont know how anyone can compete, thats amazing value.

yup, and they moat definitely are going to do this. Thats what they did with Office 365, its hard for other companies to complete. They added 1TB of cloud storage, and other companies charge $100 just for cloud storage. Few years after they added Microsoft Team for no additional cost.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like they will bundle it with Ultimate. Gamepass alone is worth the sub but Ultimate having both console and pc gamepass alongside Gold and potentially Xcloud? Best subscription ever even if they increase the price to $20 and I would never unsubscribe.

KeyboardThug

Oct 27, 2017
Gold is $10 a month
Ultimate is $15 a month

Maybe Microsoft wants to convert those Gold users into Ultimate users.

Although if people aren't interested in game pass then they still get money out of you either way but imagine the cat amongst the pigeons if Microsoft made online play free next gen and just depended on Game Pass and X Cloud which could be the new replacement Ultimate.
They got me. Been on Xbox live for 12 years and now have three years of ultimate stacked. Also never paid more than $40 for gold.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
xCloud (out of home streaming from a cloud hosted Xbox One S to mobile devices and the like, playing Xbox One S titles) is not the same thing as xCloud v2 (Scarlett in the cloud - no console required on or off TV gaming). Don't read too much into the idea of xCloud not being included for non-Gold XBL users. It doesn't reflect long term strategy.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

This! Game changer for my kids. They hate, hate to wait on downloads. They lose interest and go back to their iPads.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
they combined Xbox live and gamepass.

I see no reason this won't be included in some bundle also.