• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the yearly entreat to PC gamers saying they're going to improve their performance and offerings to better suit the PC ecosystem.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, the store is terrible in all ways and I think it should be their number 1 priority. I still to this day can't understand how it is that bad.

I just can't seem to understand how there can be two commonly held beliefs of 'why should I own an Xbox when I have a PC' and 'MS failing to deliver on promises for PC'. The views are slightly contradictory.
It's completely contradictory.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is weird how the narrative for some is still that Microsoft hasn't delivered with regards to PC gaming recently.

Yes the store is terrible however in recent years they have started releasing all first party IPs on PC and launched play anywhere. Age of Empires is back and it looks like there might be Xbox BC on PC in the future.

What more do people want to stop this rubbish that Microsoft isn't starting to deliver on PC.
PlayAnywhere is a neat thing, but it's LITERALLY nothing for PC Gamers.

Can I play Age4 right now?
Is the Wstore NOT a complete piece of garbage?
Is there a new Halo on PC?

No? Then no, they didn't deliver. As always , all I see are a bunch of promises.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I still think there's a good possibility of a Steam relationship. Maybe they keep Game Pass separate to keep all those profits but leverage the mindshare increase to make physical sales on Steam. I think Google is going to force Microsoft into desperation mode.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Ah yes, the yearly entreat to PC gamers saying they're going to improve their performance and offerings to better suit the PC ecosystem.

Bit different. They rebooted the division late 2017. Got a lot of money to spend. Google is on their heels so there's a massive sense of urgency. They need to gain as much mindshare as fast as possible and that means throwing out old hangups due to Windows and fixing PC. Already plenty of things out in the wild that are a sign things are happening soon.

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Jan 21, 2019

No? Then no, they didn't deliver. As always , all I see are a bunch of promises.

You can play Age of Empires 2 HD along with 1 DE and Age of Mythology EE. There hasn't been a new Halo since they committed to releasing all first party on PC. I never thought we would see the day that Forza was on PC.

As I've said the store is terrible but hopefully that changes in the future.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like MS has been cooking some interesting things up lately. Very curious to see how the next few years play out for them.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Bit different. They rebooted the division late 2017. Got a lot of money to spend. Google is on their heels so there's a massive sense of urgency. They need to gain as much mindshare as fast as possible and that means throwing out old hangups due to Windows and fixing PC. Already plenty of things out in the wild that are a sign things are happening soon.
if you changed the year and the google this could be a post about the exciting new windows 10 store in a post gfwl world

really exciting stuff soon you guys! wont fuck it up this time! probably... maybe... hopefully...

Yeah. The store won't install any games that I own ATM. So what good is that to me?
yeah but what else could you possibly want

Nov 12, 2017

Halo Is coming 100% and the store is being fixed (they tried something already in the insider preview.
Is just a year that windows division is listening what Spencer (Xbox division) is asking for the store ...and this is the first time that windows division is following some decision from the gaming division. Ms isn't anymore the old one..and Spencer delivered basically on Evey promise till now

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
one of these days im going to waste my time finding all the posts of people saying "don't worry they're fixing the windows 10 store, they just did stuff for insider!" followed by the same thing months later because, shockingly, they didn't fix the windows 10 store

i know ill find some

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed, the store is terrible in all ways and I think it should be their number 1 priority. I still to this day can't understand how it is that bad.

I just can't seem to understand how there can be two commonly held beliefs of 'why should I own an Xbox when I have a PC' and 'MS failing to deliver on promises for PC'. The views are slightly contradictory.
eh, I assume it's mostly two separate groups of people saying those things. Like, I'm in the, 'why own an Xbox camp', and I'm basically okay with the Microsoft Store? It ain't great, and if, say, Obsidian games started releasing there exclusively - with the limitations on mod support and price premium (here in the UK, at least) that'd entail - I'd be bummed... Buuuuut it still worked better than my actual Xbox for playing Forza Horizon, for instance, so eh.

Come to think of it, that might explain how someone could hold both positions simultaneously: the Microsoft Store provides about as good of an 'Xbox' experience as an actual Xbox, but it's very limited compared to what people generally expect from PC gaming. So, it's an adequate replacement for an actual Xbox, but a pretty poor competitor for other PC storefronts. (Tho, I mean, unlike Steam, the Microsoft Store's never tried to get me to 'follow' the curation page of a gamergator fuckhead, sooooo...)

If Halo: Infinite releases as a Microsoft Store exclusive on PC, I'll be happy to finally have the chance to play Halo on a system that isn't my garbage launch Xbox One - and even happier that I won't have to buy Microsoft's next console - but I can't deny that I'd prefer it if it got wider release. (Or, at the very least, if they actually made substantial improvements to the Microsoft Store.)

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
At least once or twice a year ever since becoming the head of Xbox, in 2014.

2015: Here and here.
2016: Here and here.
2017: Here.
2018: Here.

Basically, every time they tried to launch a major game in the MS Store and it crashed and burned, with no improvements for subsequent releases.

I'll believe it when we start seeing some actual changes, instead of more annual empty promises.
Yeap, at this point I am in the "Show me receipts" camp. Until they decouple their Store from the OS, I am out.

Edit: Just to add to above. Any time the answer to the question of "Why can't I download or play my games" is to reinstall the Operating System on your PC or roll back to previous release, MS is doing it wrong.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'll remain cautiously optimistic, but secretly expect their new big commitment to PC will be Age of Empires, Super HD. Windows Store exclusive.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still cannot comprehend how much over-engineering had to happen to fuck up something like a store. I still don't know how they determine when they update my "apps" from the store. The system is sitting their, idling, and after a random amount of time the apps update themselves. With random internet speed, too.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Less words more results.

Don't tell me that you're going to improve the store. Actually do it, then inform me it's done.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I know we've talked quite a bit over time about what we want to deliver for the player on PC, but at E3 this year, and throughout 2019, you'll begin to see where we've been investing to deliver across Store, services, in Windows and in great games. It's just the beginning."
E3 will be amazing. I expect to see and hear more about Project Xcloud, Scarlett, new Xbox live features and services, Gamepass 2.0, BC announcements, Acquisitions, Partnerships, and new games. Bring it on.

Last edited:

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
If MS was smart and truly wanted to focus on PC gaming. They wouldn't be doing these announcement of announcement about a properly working store. They would just make it work without fanfare.

Do you know how stupid it is to see a company like MS making an announcement to announce that they are going to finally make their PC store work properly? We shouldn't be waiting for a big E3 annoucment for "HEY WE WILL FINALLY MAKE THE STORE WORK CORRECTLY"

Last edited:

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
We've heard this sort of thing before, but to be honest I have a feeling there might actually be some big things coming this time.

I can't wait to see what happens at this years E3.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I don't think people understand that the Windows Division has faded away and up until last year, Xbox only existed to supplement Windows.

That being said I don't blame people for being skeptical after years of hearing the same thing over and over, however it is factual that there has been a lot of restructuring in favor of gaming and the Xbox

Personally if they made an Xbox store/ Gamepass app with Discord integration, most people would stop complaining about the Windows Store

I haven't had too much issue but it is cumbersome to have to use Windows Store and the XB App.

I sunk $2300 in a new PC and 1440p 144hz monitor and I've had pleasant experiences with Steam, Origin, Blizzard and hell even the UPlay launcher.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phil sure like to talk.

Removed Kinect, Xbox 360 backwards compatibility, Xbox Original Backwards Compatibility, renewed gaming focus, addressed hardware issues with Xbox One S and X, renewed PC gaming focus, implementing cross-play, ect.

But sure, he's all talk apparently /s.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
If MS was smart and truly wanted to focus on PC gaming. They wouldn't be doing these announcement of announcement about a properly working store. They would just make it work without fanfare.

Do you know how stupid it is to see a company like MS making an announcement to announce that they are going to finally make their PC store work properly? We shouldn't be waiting for a big E3 annoucment for "HEY WE WILL FINALLY MAKE THE STORE WORK CORRECTLY"
I mean sure, but this is a weird bar to set. Everyone here who's like, "they should shut up about PC blah rah rah rah". Like.. ok. They could say nothing and refuse the interview from PC Gamer. And then what? This isn't Phil going on stage, releasing news, and announcing anything. This is literally just someone asking him a question about PC. This is on the level of one of you guys tweeting Phil and expecting him to lay out the entire roadmap with carefully curated dates and milestones. What the heck do you all expect?

(That said, yes, I don't see any reason to be overly hyped until it happens. I do expect better results and some interesting surprises, but I will wait for when they actually come through.)

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I only recently got a new pc, pc gaming. Was relieved after hearing horror stories as FH 4, Crackdown 3 downloaded and played without a hitch.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I mean, they're bringing Halo: Infinite to PC. I know they've said it 100 times before, but they are slowly making changes. Let's just see if it works.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Basically, every time they tried to launch a major game in the MS Store and it crashed and burned, with no improvements for subsequent releases.

I'll believe it when we start seeing some actual changes, instead of more annual empty promises.
I was gonna say something along these lines but thanks for the receipts. I'll believe it when I see it indeed.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

Thank you for linking these.