• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Dont worry, you won't be able to whine about this much longer.
First of all, this post is needlessly antagonistic. Some of you Xbox guys have a serious chip on your shoulder for no reason.

Also, we know absolutely nothing about what MS is gonna do. I'm fairly certain that their vision for the PC space is gonna differ from what your average PC player wants.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, this post is needlessly antagonistic. Some of you Xbox guys have a serous chip on your shoulder for no reason.

Also, we know absolutely nothing about what MS is gonna do. I'm fairly certain that their vision for the PC space is gonna differ from what your average PC player wants.
They have a chip on their shoulder because they wanna blame everyone else but microsoft. I love my xbox and play on it constantly but it doesn't mean I am going to give them a pass on things.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Releasing their games shows the bare minimum of commitment. It's not enough. They're forcing us to use a store that in many cases is literally broken and won't let us play those games. They're removing the control and freedom we have to do what we want with the games we download.

If this is all the commitment they can muster, they can keep it. I'd rather they did nothing. Just like GFWL, this type of commitment is harmful to my experience.

You're arguing that literally anything above 0 commitment is something we should celebrate.

They've been committed to release every Xbox title on PC, where you get both versions for the same price with crossplay and cross-saves, with pretty good PC-versions to boot. It's pretty clear they want to expand Game Pass onto PC as well.

You don't have to like it but let's not pretend releasing on Steam is more commitment than they've already put out.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Because I disagree with people that say they have a no commitment on PC gaming. You don't do the things MS has done if you have no commitment. Shitting on that ill excuse of a store is all justified and should be happening a lot more. But I'm getting Age of Empires 4. And I'm not sure that would've ever happened without their current Windows 10 gaming strategy. That's commitment.
Microsoff hasn't listened to anyone. People have complained about how unusable the store is, and they might finally be fixing that only now. Microsoft, and Epic, and a bunch of other companies seem to think they can move in on PC gaming, trying to strong-arm their way to success, and I'm frankly fucking sick of it. You don't get to try and force people into your half-assed ecosystem and refuse to acknowledge that it's busted, or limit where people can buy games they want and piss people off with shady deals, act like you own the damned place, and go your own backwards way when you're on a platform where the market leader got where they are by listening to what people want, delivering it, and furthering the platform as a whole in ways nobody could have expected.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Being apprehensive towards Microsoft's promises for PC gaming is the only logical stance, for two reasons:

a) The company has a vast history of promising various things about PC gaming and very rarely, if ever, delivering on those promises.
b) Even if Microsoft truly intends to focus on PC gaming, it remains to be seen whether the company's idea of PC gaming will be something that PC gamers should embrace and support. If Microsoft's vision for PC gaming is an Xbox-style walled garden then they will face severe opposition.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
First of all, this post is needlessly antagonistic. Some of you Xbox guys have a serious chip on your shoulder for no reason.

Lol exactly.

No PC gamer wants MS to fail, here. We want a genuinely good effort from them. We want them to have a store that's worth using, and not just because their games are exclusive to that store.

I would absolutely love it if MS walked the walk. I'd love it if I didn't have to "complain" that their efforts are piss poor.

Some of y'all need to stop taking our disappointment with MS personally. They've earned it.

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Microsoff hasn't listened to anyone. People have complained about how unusable the store is, and they might finally be fixing that only now. Microsoft, and Epic, and a bunch of other companies seem to think they can move in on PC gaming, trying to strong-arm their way to success, and I'm frankly fucking sick of it. You don't get to try and force people into your half-assed ecosystem and refuse to acknowledge that it's busted, or limit where people can buy games they want and piss people off with shady deals, act like you own the damned place, when you're on a platform where the market leader got where they are by listening to what people want, delivering it, and furthering the platform as a whole in ways nobody could have expected.

Don't use their store. As far as I know, Microsoft hasn't paid for a third party exclusive in 4 years. So don't really see the comparison with Epic.

You can be fucking sick of it but it doesn't change that they are committed. It's the only thing I've been discussing in this topic. I've acknowledges (well duh) that their store is shit and an embarrassment for a company like Microsoft. Phil Spencer has acknowledged it. And it seems they are finally changing things.

Spencer isn't just talk. He has proven that when he talks about something he will try to get it fixed. Look at Xbox hardware, look at Microsoft's studio and IP portfolio, etc. Next on his 'To fix list'? Microsoft's PC gaming efforts. Commitment is not enough, he needs more than that.

Before 2018, Spencer reported directly to the Windows division lead by Terry Myerson. For Myerson, Xbox wasn't a priority. He was fighting a platform war with Apple and Google and didn't really seem to care about gaming. Now, Spencer and the gaming division reports directly to the CEO. If changes aren't made now, there is only one person we can blame.

The day Microsoft starts moneyhatting third party games I'll be right with you. But a company like Microsoft should have their own store. And they should put their own content and services on their own store.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Spencer commenting and giving a definitive time table after a surge of rumors about PC gaming.
Era: lol it doesn't mean anything

This is how it always works. This whole ordeal which really started in November when Spencer talked about him taking a leadership role within the Windows Store team has reminded me of when he talked about investing in first party, and then 7 months later announced a bunch of acquisitions.

The comments have been almost identical with "All talk".

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
lol well they haven't proven anything yet and I am not whining but you sure are blindly defending them,.

Please do. If they actually follow through with their promises than great but this has been over a decade of promises that they keep failing with especially on the pc.
Past comparisons are meaningless, because their focus has switched.
They don't release all their games on pc now, because they suddenly found their love for "pc gaming".
They didn't buy a shitload of studios, because of "pc gaming".
Whatever they will announce at E3 won't be because of "pc gaming".
It's all done to become THE distribution/subscription/streaming service.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft, and Epic, and a bunch of other companies seem to think they can move in on PC gaming, trying to strong-arm their way to success, and I'm frankly fucking sick of it.

To play devil's advocate, neither MS or Epic need to 'move in on PC gaming'. One of them owns Minecraft and one of them owns Fortnite. They're firmly in PC gaming. Your average PC gamer is absolutely using both the MS store and the Epic launcher whether you're 'fucking sick of it' or not.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Reading this thread and realising people will never be happy with progress and will always find something to complain about....

...its how progress is made, so crack on (cwl)

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
Being apprehensive towards Microsoft's promises for PC gaming is the only logical stance, for two reasons:

a) The company has a vast history of promising various things about PC gaming and very rarely, if ever, delivering on those promises.
b) Even if Microsoft truly intends to focus on PC gaming, it remains to be seen whether the company's idea of PC gaming will be something that PC gamers should embrace and support. If Microsoft's vision for PC gaming is an Xbox-style walled garden then they will face severe opposition.

I think that's the crux of the issue : how does Microsoft see Windows as an operating system and a software platform from 10 on. For example, some aspects of UWP are things I want no part of.

I just wish they would make legitimate steps forward with Windows without trying to ape Apple or Android in the process. Computers are not kitchen appliances.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least once or twice a year ever since becoming the head of Xbox, in 2014.

2015: Here and here.
2016: Here and here.
2017: Here.
2018: Here.

Basically, every time they tried to launch a major game in the MS Store and it crashed and burned, with no improvements for subsequent releases.

I'll believe it when we start seeing some actual changes, instead of more annual empty promises.

I get people don't like Phil saying this over and over but nothing happening - but you guys do realize that this kind of development takes a long time right

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't use their store. As far as I know, Microsoft hasn't paid for a third party exclusive in 4 years. So don't really see the comparison with Epic.

You can be fucking sick of it but it doesn't change that they are committed. It's the only thing I've been discussing in this topic. I've acknowledges (well duh) that their store is shit and an embarrassment for a company like Microsoft. Phil Spencer has acknowledged it. And it seems they are finally changing things.

Spencer isn't just talk. He has proven that when he talks about something he will try to get it fixed. Look at Xbox hardware, look at Microsoft's studio and IP portfolio, etc. Next on his 'To fix list'? Microsoft's PC gaming efforts. Commitment is not enough, he needs more than that.

Before 2018, Spencer reported directly to the Windows division lead by Terry Myerson. For Myerson, Xbox wasn't a priority. He was fighting a platform war with Apple and Google and didn't really seem to care about gaming. Now, Spencer and the gaming division reports directly to the CEO. If changes aren't made now, there is only one person we can blame.

The day Microsoft starts moneyhatting third party games I'll be right with you. But a company like Microsoft should have their own store. And they should put their own content and services on their own store.
The comparison is that Microsoft and Epic act like they can do their own thing, regardless of what customers want, and still succeed. They want to burn the bridges and make their own city. And for me, and a lot of other people, that's why Microsoft's commitment over the past few years hasn't mattered, and why I'm still skeptical of what they're doing now. Because up until now, Microsoft's seemingly failed to understand why nobody's wanted to play ball in their court, and I have trouble believing they're suddenly going to do an about-face on the stance they've had for so long.

To be fair, I do understand that the store was always so bad was because of Microsoft wanting to push their new windows ecosystem, which included wrapping the gaming division into a bunch of counter-productive shit. And with Microsoft recently going back on a lot of things they were trying to push when Windows 10 launched, like Cortana, UWP, and their ecosystem being so closed off, I will admit that I am cautiously optimistic that maybe, after over a decade, they might finally get it. Like I said, though, I'm not holding my breath until they actually put up.

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
"Obsidian and inXile deals were in part an attempt to "create depth across platforms and genres of expertise," specifically RPGs. "

Boy I hope the RPG part comes about. Especially with Bioware and Besthesda in some form of distress right now. Obsidian and inXile could become the powerhouse for that genre.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I'll give them credit for releasing their exclusives on pc day and date with console. I would like to see more gamepass games available though. I doubt much changes anytime soon, would be nice though.

Oct 27, 2017

Yup, we've already had this song and dance with MS regarding PC gaming. Every year or two they say something like 'we love PC gaming, for real this time!' and then proceed to fuck it up or do fuckall.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Lol exactly.

No PC gamer wants MS to fail, here. We want a genuinely good effort from them. We want them to have a store that's worth using, and not just because their games are exclusive to that store.

I would absolutely love it if MS walked the walk. I'd love it if I didn't have to "complain" that their efforts are piss poor.

Some of y'all need to stop taking our disappointment with MS personally. They've earned it.
This, precisely. They've dug this hole, and I'd love if they actually got themselves out of it.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
No matter how much progress they have made, the store as the first point of contact still sucks ass. As long as that remains true, nothing that comes after matters. No matter how many games they release there, it doesn't matter since the store literally doesn't work for me.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At least once or twice a year ever since becoming the head of Xbox, in 2014.

2015: Here and here.
2016: Here and here.
2017: Here.
2018: Here.

Basically, every time they tried to launch a major game in the MS Store and it crashed and burned, with no improvements for subsequent releases.

I'll believe it when we start seeing some actual changes, instead of more annual empty promises.

So par for the course then. Will wait for actual results.

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
I get people don't like Phil saying this over and over but nothing happening - but you guys do realize that this kind of development takes a long time right

Sorry but I don't. Some time. Sure. But this is a company that does backend system. This is a company that has significant research in user interfaces. They sell server software. So I don't get why it has taken this long to get it right. Along with the Xbox UI. It is really weird. I spend a lot more money on PSN simply because they have a store that is so easy to use. I can't be the only one. They must be leaving money on the table.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I love so much about what they are saying and doing. A ton of pro consumer good value things coming out of them. But hell... I need something to play on it. I own a OG Xbone and an OG PS4...games just run better on the PS4 right now and outside of shooters...I am playing more crossplatform games on my PS4 as I can actually find used copies.

I want Microsoft to take all my money....they just need to give me games.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
To play devil's advocate, neither MS or Epic need to 'move in on PC gaming'. One of them owns Minecraft and one of them owns Fortnite. They're firmly in PC gaming. Your average PC gamer is absolutely using both the MS store and the Epic launcher whether you're 'fucking sick of it' or not.

You can still play minecraft on pc without using the store. I currently have the java edition installed, at the same version as the store version.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry but I don't. Some time. Sure. But this is a company that does backend system. This is a company that has significant research in user interfaces. They sell server software. So I don't get why it has taken this long to get it right. Along with the Xbox UI. It is really weird. I spend a lot more money on PSN simply because they have a store that is so easy to use. I can't be the only one. They must be leaving money on the table.
I find both stores to be pretty underwhelming at best. Not the easiest to navigate or find things and both run slow as shit. Trying to find info about the games on there is also rough.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that's the crux of the issue : how does Microsoft see Windows as an operating system and a software platform from 10 on. For example, some aspects of UWP are things I want no part of.

I just wish they would make legitimate steps forward with Windows without trying to ape Apple or Android in the process. Computers are not kitchen appliances.

I don't know if they'll end up being related, but Microsoft is taking a very open approach with Hololens and not trying to lock it down. Hopefully that's a sign of how they'll approach their PC efforts going forward for things such as games.

"Obsidian and inXile deals were in part an attempt to "create depth across platforms and genres of expertise," specifically RPGs. "

Boy I hope the RPG part comes about. Especially with Bioware and Besthesda in some form of distress right now. Obsidian and inXile could become the powerhouse for that genre.

Yup. I'm especially excited to see InXile with a budget since they've had to rely on crowfunding up until this point. I want to see them with more time, money and people. Obsidian has looked their best when that's the conditions they had.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

Here is the thing. Everyone here is skeptical because we have heard same shit before. Yes, it's good that they restructured the way they did and Phil seems to be genuinely interested in promoting gaming within MS. However, we want to see the receipts and that 's not just releasing Forza or Crackdown on the same old store.

That said, I certainly welcome MS efforts. I would love to play Game Pass games like Forza or Crackdown on PC without worrying about extraneous shit. Also, as you mention, MS haven't tried to moneyhat 3rd party games ala Epic although they certainly could have as they have the money. So I'll give them benefit of a doubt (for the nth time really) but still want to see movement on fixing Store issues and UWP.

Also, yes, Phil Spencer has been a much better head of gaming services vs anyone else they have had previously since early Xbox 360 days.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Reading this thread and realising people will never be happy with progress and will always find something to complain about....

Ridiculous.

Of course people are happy with progress. We're just absolutely tired about hearing about "Microsoft's new focus on PC gaming", every year, ad infinitum, while, in reality, actually delivering hot garbage like UWP and the Windows 10 Store.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS is miles better than Epic simply because they don't moneyhat publishersers and devs and locking third party games out of other stores.

Yes, I don't like what the UWP ecosystem, but moneyhatting third party games and selling them on a single store is worse imo.

I just saved this post for E3 reference.

04497630efe597465bf3894b3248d1e2.gif

That's the context of this gif in this thread?

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ridiculous.

Of course people are happy with progress. We're just absolutely tired about hearing about "Microsoft's new focus on PC gaming", every year, ad infinitum, while, in reality, actually delivering hot garbage like UWP and the Windows 10 Store.

If Microsoft including Phil Spencer didnt public call out their own store as troubling then id agree. The fact they are acknowledging every mistake instead of trying to blame something else is what keeps the optimism going

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i keep thinking about this scene from the netflix movie war machine where brad pitts character (a replacement for a different general) is talking to an afghan about how he is just trying to help, yes the stuff from before didn't work but it will get better we promise, itll be better for everyone

the man just tells him to shut up and leave youve done enough damage, you're not helping anyone you're making everything worse

he gets replaced by a different general at the end of the movie who will definitely get it right this time

gfwl into windows 10 store like just stop you've done enough we have what works either get with it or leave us alone, you're just making it worse

it's a good movie btw

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if they'll end up being related, but Microsoft is taking a very open approach with Hololens and not trying to lock it down. Hopefully that's a sign of how they'll approach their PC efforts going forward for things such as games.

I have no personal experience of what the Hololens software environment looks like but between what you just told me and what Krejlooc said earlier in the thread, it's really uplifting for me to hear this mindset is to be found at MS. Hololens 2 is looking very cool, that's for sure.

One thing I'm certain of, if Microsoft walks back on the closed aspects of UWP/W10 and focuses on just making a great platform for everyone, including their own cross-platform first party titles, they could be a positive force in PC gaming again for the first time in almost two decades.

Wouldn't that be a cool thing to see.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft including Phil Spencer didnt public call out their own store as troubling then id agree. The fact they are acknowledging every mistake instead of trying to blame something else is what keeps the optimism going
They can call out their store all they want, it hasn't been fixed, and it's not like theyve only called it out once. They been saying since win10 released they would be making these changes, and while theyve made small steps behind the scenes, I've yet, as a pc gamer seen anything substantial that isn't a few ports. I'm still waiting on them to make good on years of promises.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm certain of, if Microsoft walks back on the closed aspects of UWP/W10 and focuses on just making a great platform for everyone, including their own cross-platform first party titles, they could be a positive force in PC gaming again for the first time in almost two decades.

Wouldn't that be a cool thing to see.
I agree and I hope they take that approach. It would be incredible.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
honestly just stop, every time microsoft does anything on PC it's a bunch of shit i don't want that makes things worse. i'm fine with more empty promises if it means they're just leaving us alone like they have been since UWP failed so spectacularly.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Phil Spencer keeps going on about the importance of a store yet the Windows Store has been a broken piece of garbage for as long as it has existed.
I have like 3 games there and never had a smooth experience with any of them. Performance issues due to how the games are implemented. Game files getting corrupted after a patch and no way to actually "repair the game" like in Steam or Origins, instead I had to download 120GB game all over again. Never mind how awful navigating the store itself actually is. It's just shit.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Considering sales or lack thereof for anything not named Minecraft in the Windows store, I wouldn't be so sure.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering sales or lack thereof for anything not named Minecraft in the Windows store, I wouldn't be so sure.
the windows store version of minecraft is also a small part of that game. you still get the java version by default if you go to the official site, and even finding the store version there is kinda difficult.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

People should be content with the fact that overall the Windows Store is not functional?

Having a functional store is progress? And not a bare bare minimum?

Even the Epic store has that working.

Jan 16, 2019
User Banned (1 Day): System Wars and Trolling
I don't understand why Xbox fans have such a large persecution complex. This is like the millionth time that Microsoft and Phil Spencer have called out their shitty store, nothing has been fixed or changed and Xbox fans still defend them and say w-w-w-wait for Phil-senpai

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

Can't agree more. I hope this time they really listen to what pc gamers actually want.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
one of these days im going to waste my time finding all the posts of people saying "don't worry they're fixing the windows 10 store, they just did stuff for insider!" followed by the same thing months later because, shockingly, they didn't fix the windows 10 store

i know ill find some

I feel like I'm in that movie groundhogs day when it comes to him and the PC store. Plays out the same each time.

As always, I'll just wait and see.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
People should be content with the fact that overall the Windows Store is not functional?

Having a functional store is progress? And not a bare bare minimum?

Even the Epic store has that working.
Yeap. Just think about it, if the damn Epic store is beating you in base functionality, what the hell are you doing? :)

If MS fixes this shit show I would only be happy. Forza 4 on my ultrawidescreen would look amazing!

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is that the bolded has been said so many times now for various matters that it's meaningless. I like Phil Spencer in general (Loved that talk he did on diversity too), but I'm not sure why anyone should put stock in him acknowledging something or working on it on this matter. At some point, you've got to put up or shut up and their PC efforts have been poor thus far. When they actually improve them, then we can give Phil all the credit he deserves. Gamers can't play good intentions.

I don't understand why Xbox fans have such a large persecution complex. This is like the millionth time that Microsoft and Phil Spencer have called out their shitty store, nothing has been fixed or changed and Xbox fans still defend them and say w-w-w-wait for Phil-senpai

How I feel. It seems like we hear this yearly when it comes to that store.