• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
https://www.pcgamer.com/phil-spence...dios-and-its-commitment-to-pc-gaming-in-2019/

Highlights:
"We want to empower game creators… to extend the reach of their games to the broadest global player base possible. That said, we…[understand] that there are certain types of games that may be best experienced within a specific context, or with a specific input method (keyboard and mouse, controller, etc)

Spencer adds that company's "first priority is delivering a new Store experience for games that factors in all of our learnings from past challenges on the PC."

Obsidian and inXile deals were in part an attempt to "create depth across platforms and genres of expertise," specifically RPGs. I ask whether he thinks the studios will adjust their focus away from PC gaming to a broader platform base, and he says he doesn't expect so. It will be up to the studios to decide what platforms to make games for, he says.

I ask him whether we can expect future Xbox Games Studios games to release on Steam as well as the Microsoft Store, to which he's non-committal. "It's a good question and something we've spent a lot of time thinking through. I expect us to share more details on our plans here soon."

"Delivering great gaming experience to PC players is critically important to the future of Xbox and gaming at Microsoft," he says, adding that the company has, as the creator of Windows, a "responsibility to invest in new ways we can benefit the PC player to help ensure they stay at the center of the experience."

"I know we've talked quite a bit over time about what we want to deliver for the player on PC, but at E3 this year, and throughout 2019, you'll begin to see where we've been investing to deliver across Store, services, in Windows and in great games. It's just the beginning."

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
I really like what he is saying but man I hope this is all true. I'd really like to own an Xbox again but fuck man. Nothing appealing hopefully their new first party games in the making are great.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I really want it to be true. Xbox has the potential to start next gen strong and with my personal focus on PC lately I would really like some of their cross play stuff to actually work

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The store is so fucking awful and broken that I'm not even paying the 2€ for 2 months of gamepass to play Crackdown 3. And I loved Crackdown 1.

Nov 13, 2017
I traded in my OG for an X recently and my partner and I are totally happy to live on Gamepass and EA Access for a good long time. I think this kind of model, even on PC is pretty appealing.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
My interest in a new Windows Store layout is minimal. UWP smells funny and they've done nothing to convince me that it is the future of Windows "apps" that I want.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
BptO4PKCYAA37rs.png

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh good, it's been a while since we've gotten Phil Spencer promising changes to their PC store. I was beginning to think he had forgotten about it.

Oct 30, 2017
I want to believe but I've been burned by MS promises about pc gaming too many times. Will believe it when I see it at this point.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
How many times have he said something along these lines?

A least this time he gave a timeframe, E3, to see something, so that's something.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Considering he gave a timeframe, and that time has to come eventually anyway, then ok I'll check it out.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
"At Microsoft, we are pleased to announce our new partnership with Epic Games & in so, bringing the Master Chief Collection to the Epic Games Store exclusively."

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gimme dat separate games store on PC and we can talk. Windows Store is irredeemable.

Just make an x86 launcher with an Xbox logo, MS. Shit.

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
Well it will be an interesting pivot if they can pull it off. I've avoided the windows store since Gears 4, which just kept downloading data to no end. It was fucking crazy. Hopefully they make it worth engaging with or just go full platform agnostic in regards to pc.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I need that classic compilation of every MS head honchos promise of a better store after their latest failed attempt.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I feel like he had been regurgitating his plans for microsoft on pc for years now with hardly anything to show for it.

I need that classic compilation of every MS head honchos promise of a better store after their latest failed attempt.
Stumpkapow compiled a list but i cant seem to find it :x

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
How many times have he said something along these lines?

At least once or twice a year ever since becoming the head of Xbox, in 2014.

2015: Here and here.
2016: Here and here.
2017: Here.
2018: Here.

Basically, every time they tried to launch a major game in the MS Store and it crashed and burned, with no improvements for subsequent releases.

I'll believe it when we start seeing some actual changes, instead of more annual empty promises.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
That's a concrete time, not just general promises. I'm very excited for E3.
Great point.

For the first time ever, Microsoft gave us a date to watch for true PC news.
Are we 3+ months away from seeing Microsoft's new vision for PC gaming? New Store, more GamePass, new games, new...interest?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Reading through it: Yup, it's a Microsoft press statement about PC. All talk while conveniently leaving out how anything is planning to be accomplished.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
At least once or twice a year ever since becoming the head of Xbox, in 2014.

2015: Here and here.
2016: Here and here.
2017: Here.
2018: Here.

Basically, every time they tried to launch a major game in the MS Store and it crashed and burned, with no improvements for subsequent releases.

I'll believe it when we start seeing some actual changes, instead of more annual empty promises.
no see a bunch of different people are at microsoft now

and that changes things because reasons

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phil is really done a lot of great work and made a ton of great decisions for the brand. Unfortunately for me it boils down to the games and the exclusives have just not been enough to pull me over. I'd love to see the first party games get back to that place where they are those can't miss titles.

Jan 21, 2019
It is weird how the narrative for some is still that Microsoft hasn't delivered with regards to PC gaming recently.

Yes the store is terrible however in recent years they have started releasing all first party IPs on PC and launched play anywhere. Age of Empires is back and it looks like there might be Xbox BC on PC in the future.

What more do people want to stop this rubbish that Microsoft isn't starting to deliver on PC.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
It is weird how the narrative for some is still that Microsoft hasn't delivered with regards to PC gaming recently.

Yes the store is terrible however in recent years they have started releasing all first party IPs on PC and launched play anywhere. Age of Empires is back and it looks like there might be Xbox BC on PC in the future.

What more do people want to stop this rubbish that Microsoft isn't starting to deliver on PC.
Putting games on a store that can barely deliver them while the games themselves are UWP and mostly unable to be moded and tinkered with the way PC users want to is not delivering, it's the bare minimum.

People want a competent store with features that befit the open nature of PC gaming.

They've not done enough and they've not delivered in any meaningful way.

Jan 21, 2019
Putting games on a store that can barely deliver them while the games themselves are UWP and mostly unable to be moded and tinkered with the way PC users want to is not delivering, it's the bare minimum.

People want a competent store with features that befit the open nature of PC gaming.

They've not done enough and they've not delivered in any meaningful way.

Agreed, the store is terrible in all ways and I think it should be their number 1 priority. I still to this day can't understand how it is that bad.

I just can't seem to understand how there can be two commonly held beliefs of 'why should I own an Xbox when I have a PC' and 'MS failing to deliver on promises for PC'. The views are slightly contradictory.

Oct 25, 2017
At this rate Valve is going to finish Half-Life 3 and fill Steam with their great games again before Microsoft is done fixing the store. It has been a mess since Quantum Break launched and nothing has been done.