• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like there is so much going on that I wonder what shape it's all going to take. Is it basically just going to be more Xbox games on Win Store, with some also going to Steam and their being Crossplay? Will Win Store adopt a usable Xbox interface for PC (perhaps with a living room / big picture mode)? Will Steam be able to interface in some way with the Win Store / Xbox?
I am hoping we find out at GDC next month and not at E3 lol

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely excited for Microsoft at e3. Just wish the moonlight app could be downloaded onto the Xbox one x

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
If announcing games, shipping insider builds and working together with Valve on including cross play API's in Steam is only talk.. then I don't know anymore.

Yeah, fair enough.

But until they are client facing it is still only promises.

I have been down this road with MS countless times with many different CEOs , so i have reached the point of I'll believe it when i see it.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Feels like the same old lip service they dish out every year. I'll care when they start actually doing it.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Feels like the same old lip service they dish out every year. I'll care when they start actually doing it.

What would you like them to do? Because I think Spencer saying they are committed doesn't mean everything will be fixed immediately, while some of us may expect that.

He should stop saying it, but it's not as if they haven't done anything the last couple of years.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what everyone in this thread is after.
Sure, I too have my gripes with the Windows Store, it's possibly my least favourite store/installation interface to deal with of all.

However, you can't deny that committing to bringing all first party Xbox titles to PC on day one as well as GamePass to the PC isn't a sign of MS "investing in the platform".

Compare what they are doing today with the likes of Crackdown 3, Gears 4/5, Forza Horizon 3/4 and GamePass etc to the GFWL days. It's night and day.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
How many more times will he say this before it actually comes true? 2013 was supposed to be the start of improving their PC portfolio and it's been nothing but questionable at best since.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
User banned (1 day): system wars
We can do without your "special attention" M$. GFWL, Windows Store, Windows 10... Thanks but no thanks guys.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
How many more times will he say this before it actually comes true? 2013 was supposed to be the start of improving their PC portfolio and it's been nothing but questionable at best since.
I mean since then we've got Gears, Forza, SoT and a few others on the PC. Yeah it's not steam but you can't say they didn't do /anything/

Still though, LOTS of room for improvement in the area

Deleted member 19213

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phil is a cool guy, but he's said a lot of promising things this gen and there's been a lot of disappointment under his leadership. I think Backwards compatibility and game pass are the highlights of his tenure with Xbox.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Yes. Don't get me wrong, if I had a lot of money I'd have an xbox one for sure and I've used Windows XP, 7 and 8.1 for my home OS.

Just had enough of their attempts to "improve" pc gaming. GFWL still mucks me up to this day, as I have to search for fixes for old games and find ways to get DLC I paid for back in the day, neither thing is worth the effort and I consider those games to be dead, even if I haven't finished them.

I don't trust them in the PC gaming space.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. The Windows Store experience might not be perfect but I've enjoyed hundreds of hours of playing PC games via the store since MS started releasing all of their software there. It's worked well enough for me. I'm happy if it can keep getting better.

Me too and I've been having a blast with Crackdown 3. Even with it's limited run of games through Game Pass it's still good value.

Phil is a cool guy, but he's said a lot of promising things this gen and there's been a lot of disappointment under his leadership. I think Backwards compatibility and game pass are the highlights of his tenure with Xbox.

Sure, if we also ignore the advancements in hardware revisions, the recent acquisitions, and the pure fact that we actually have day of date releases of 1st party games on the PC.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
No, I said I'd skip those games.

You said: ''I'd rather they left PC Gaming alone.''

The last time Microsoft got PC gaming right is with Direct X.

PC gaming is an open platform and Microsoft has been busy for the past ten years creating walled gardens.

PC gaming can still be an open platform with one of the storefronts on it not being open. And if that gives me Age of Empires and Sea of Thieves, I'm a happy man.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

PC gaming can still be an open platform with one of the storefronts on it not being open. And if that gives me Age of Empires and Sea of Thieves, I'm a happy man.

I'm happy with not using the walled garden that MS loves in the PC space. We have options and I've been burned and locked out too many times. I have plans to move onto Linux by 2020, already dual boot atm.

If you're happy with Window 10 and MS's current PC gaming initiatives, have at it.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yes, I'd rather not have a repeat of GFWL, Windows Store and Windows 10.

But, that's just me.

Skipping something and wishing it didn't exist are two different things. I'm really happy that they are making a new Age of Empires. I'm really happy they made Sea of Thieves, which has given me and my friends one of the best gaming experiences in years. But I also understand why some people don't want to use their storefront. With PC gaming being an open platform, it's a choice you have and a choice we should embrace. But wishing something didn't get made seems.. odd. To me at least.

I'm happy with not using the walled garden that MS loves in the PC space. We have options and I've been burned and locked out too many times.

Isn't it great that Windows gives you the option to not use certain storefronts because you don't like 'm?

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I'd rather not have a repeat of GFWL, Windows Store and Windows 10.

But, that's just me.

Competition is always good.
Even if it is inferior. I wouldn't be surprised if Windows also properly partners up with Steam. I see big changes.

Even though you might not like, having options is always a positive in the marketplace.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Skipping something and wishing it didn't exist are two different things. I'm really happy that they are making a new Age of Empires. I'm really happy they made Sea of Thieves, which has given me and my friends one of the best gaming experiences in years. But I also understand why some people don't want to use their storefront. With PC gaming being an open platform, it's a choice you have and a choice we should embrace. But wishing something didn't get made seems.. odd. To me at least.
How does saying I'd rather they didn't do something mean I wish it didn't exist?

We get this lip service off them year after year, and year after year they do something shitty like GWFL, or UWP and the Windows 10 store, which is the worst storefront on PC.

And PC is an open platform, something Microsoft forgets.

Even if it is inferior. I wouldn't be surprised if Windows also properly partners up with Steam. I see big changes.

Even though you might not like, having options is always a positive in the marketplace.
This again, huh?

Poor competition is not competition.

Oct 25, 2017
Now imagine if these words end up replaced with games. Wow-ee!

Games being exclusive to storefronts means LESS options for consumers, not more. There is literally nothing positive about it for players. That said, in most of these cases; Microsoft actually funded the development and ports of these games, making it somewhat less shitty than the Epic Store IMO.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
How does saying I'd rather they didn't do something mean I wish it didn't exist?

We get this lip service off them year after year, and year after year they do something shitty like GWFL, or UWP and the Windows 10 store, which is the worst storefront on PC.

And PC is an open platform, something Microsoft forgets.
really? with how much they are supporting other platforms like linux, making more windows components open source

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Why? You don't like Age of Empires, Halo, Pillars of Eternity or Forza?

Everyone wins if they get this right.

Depends on what you call getting this right.
if it means shoving their UWP plans and releasing their games on every services on PC, then yes, we have a deal.
Otherwise, no, not everybody wins.

How's that different than wishing they didn't do pc gaming?

I can see their point. Sometimes a passive attitude is better than one that actively ruins a platform.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Isn't it great that Windows gives you the option to not use certain storefronts because you don't like 'm?

Yes and I don't use certain storefronts. Windows Store, Epic and Amazon being a few off the top of my head.

What isn't great is locking direct X to certain editions of your operating system and all of the features removed from Windows 10 compared to earlier versions. Windows itself is more of a walled garden than ever before, there's a reason I haven't moved on from Win 8.1.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh good, it's been a while since we've gotten Phil Spencer promising changes to their PC store. I was beginning to think he had forgotten about it.
Yup more promises of a good window store that will probably never happen.

At this rate Valve is going to finish Half-Life 3 and fill Steam with their great games again before Microsoft is done fixing the store. It has been a mess since Quantum Break launched and nothing has been done.
It's been terrible since way before that, it was terrible when it was called games for windows and than that was shutdown and the windows store was brought out with windows 10 and still hasn't got any better.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's properly vague. Guess we're getting actual details starting at E3.

The two main changes I'd like to see is untying PC(Play Anywhere) prices from Xbox prices and removing the restrictions of UWP.
This makes Microsoft games worse in a way that's detrimental to PC gaming, worth less and more expensive. As long as that remains the case I kind of don't care about whatever else they might do.

Microsoft has made decisions that are very out of touch with what PC gamers are looking for. They've stumbled and fumbled and tried to screw us, for like over a decade. I have no faith that they'll make notable improvements. Please surprise me.

UWP is such shit from a user perspective. Because of that, third parties/games available elsewhere don't exist on the Microsoft Store as far as I'm concerned.
And that you can't buy the version of a Microsoft game you want without paying extra for a version you don't want, is just such baffling nonsense. So those only exist on Game Pass to me.

Game Pass is one thing they're doing right. And they've said they plan to make all games on Game Pass also available on PC.
Through its price, Game Pass is an acceptable compromise, but I'd rather it wasn't one. I don't want to compromise.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yes and I don't use certain storefronts. Windows Store, Epic and Amazon being a few off the top of my head.

What isn't great is locking direct X to certain editions of your operating system and all of the features removed from Windows 10 compared to earlier versions. Windows itself is more of a walled garden than ever before, there's a reason I haven't moved on from Win 8.1.

Agree.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
beg.png

They are trying. A few people naively want MS to just put their games on Steam and fill Valve's pockets with money.

They are pushing for their own store, and will leverage their own IP for their own benefits.

They do need to do a better job of that though.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
really? with how much they are supporting other platforms like linux, making more windows components open source

Sadly, that's not happening with their PC gaming efforts. On the contrary: for some reason Microsoft seems to be keen on storing game files into locked and encrypted containers. The State of Decay game that insiders were testing was win32, but locked into the same encrypted container that the Xbox One is using. I hope that's not the path they are taking for all future 1st party and Game Pass games.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you call getting this right.
if it means shoving their UWP plans and releasing their games on every services on PC, then yes, we have a deal.
Otherwise, no, not everybody wins.

I'd rather they get a higher-quality dedicated launcher and storefront for their games and we get benefits like GamePass rather than "hey put it on Steam and uPlay and the Blizzard Launcher and Origin and GoG, etc"

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I hope something great happens, but given MS and Phil's track record in the PC space, I'm not going to hold my breath.

You can't convince me that they've really been committed for the last few years with the store in the condition it's in today. You're lying to yourself and everyone else. Maybe they'll finally start giving a shit, I don't know. I'm not going to take their word for it. I want results.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather they get a higher-quality dedicated launcher and storefront for their games and we get benefits like GamePass rather than "hey put it on Steam and uPlay and the Blizzard Launcher and Origin and GoG, etc"

No thanks. After GFWL, it should never happen and they should never be entrusted with a backend and library management on PC.
Heck, they can do both you know ? Allow people to choose and have their launcher if people want "Gamepass".

They are trying. A few people naively want MS to just put their games on Steam and fill Valve's pockets with money.

They are pushing for their own store, and will leverage their own IP for their own benefits.

They do need to do a better job of that though.

A few people naively don't want to get screwed a 2nd time.