• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Many other things from this interview (which already have threads), but I felt this one deserves its own topic as well:

Where does that leave the prospect of more Xbox games coming to non-Xbox consoles? Spencer told me that "it doesn't feel sustainable" to consider Xbox games on a case by case basis for Switch and said, "In order to really support it, I would want a full Xbox ecosystem somewhere. And that probably means things like Live and Game Pass and stuff."

He said something similar in July during an interview with GameStar, though the answer has changed slightly. Back then he said that "the other competitive platforms aren't really that interested in having a full Xbox experience on their hardware." I cited that answer to him and asked if it was still the case with Sony and Nintendo. "I don't want to speak for them," he said. "I think they should probably answer."

https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-phil-spencer-on-series-x-launch-halo-infinit-1845392984

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A similar answer was given by an Xbox exec months before Ori and the Will of the Wisps came to Switch. I absolutely expect more Xbox-published games on Switch (or its successor) in the future.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Just like in the other thread basically give us gamepass on your platform or you will get no games

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
With next-gen arrving there are going to be fewer games that can be reasonably ported to the Switch. However, I would not be surprised to see Game Pass on Switch in the next couple of years once Xcloud starts getting everywhere.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
External partnerships? Maybe. Ori were two games, Cuphead was another example. These ports were very much partner-led.

Internal games? Haven't been on Switch outside of Minecraft and will not be there either, IMO.

Xbox gives you plenty of accessibility options, and don't forget that they want to push xCloud hard, which is quite close to a Switch experience with that Razer Kishi already.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
A similar answer was given by an Xbox exec months before Ori and the Will of the Wisps came to Switch. I absolutely expect more Xbox-published games on Switch (or its successor) in the future.
That was about first part studios tho. Or there is another quote? Also that was said in september so a the plan for Ori 2 on Switch was for sure decided long before that.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was about first part studios tho. Or there is another quote? Also that was said in september so a the plan for Ori 2 on Switch was for sure decided long before that.
It was said shortly after Ori 2 launched. So, March or April.

Edit - Aaron Greenberg did say in September of last year there were no plans to release Ori 2 on Switch. So, like I said, I wouldn't read too much into this new quote.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
So basically Bethesda is being used as the bargaining chip for getting Game Pass and xCloud on to competitor platforms. I doubt anyone makes that trade.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Live was meant to be getting support on Switch(and Minecraft uses it) so this seems much more about getting Gamepass on there. I doubt Nintendo will bite but hey maybe Epic will take down walled gardens and they will able to do it anyway.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
TL;DR:
30060.jpg

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
No need to ask such question to Spencer, even if something in the works he won't even drop a hint about it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean what else is he gonna say shortly before a console launch. Everything else would be weird.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
idk I feel Nintendo really don't need MS that much that they would allow Live or GamePass on their system. They're in their own bubble.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That's actually a super illuminating quote in terms of what MS really wants, in terms of their relationship with other consoles.

Strengthening their content portfolio is strengthening their negotiating hand in terms of getting the full schilling - gamepass - onto other platforms. That's what they want, individual ports was probably just an attempt at some early bridge building in negotiations. They probably feel now, though, that they're in an increasingly strong position to hold out for the full deal, or nothing.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to know what happened with Ori 1 having Xbox achievements on Switch but not Ori 2.

Oct 24, 2019
I keep saying it:

Sony and Nintendo should just let Microsoft put a modified version of Game Pass on their systems that's just Xbox first party content, no third party games. They get some cut of the Game Pass subs for allowing the service on their consoles and sales of third party games through their stores are not threaten, and in turn Microsoft gets access to players that they wouldn't have otherwise.

It's a win-win-win

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
If MS gives them a cut i don't really see a downside for Nintendo
Nintendo is extremely strategically invested in NOT commoditizing their hardware. That is, never allowing themselves to be a drop in replacement for anything else you can buy, but something fundamentally different. This has been true since the Wii/DS, and has no signs of changing. There is a real strategic risk in allowing yourself to just be an gaming portal to another platform equivalent to a smart phone or tablet or PC. Obviously it could still be worth it in their estimation, but that is the strategic framework in which they will be operating.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
"This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that".

No, Phil, that's exactly what that deal was

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I keep saying it:

Sony and Nintendo should just let Microsoft put a modified version of Game Pass on their systems that's just Xbox first party content, no third party games. They get some cut of the Game Pass subs for allowing the service on their consoles and sales of third party games through their stores are not threaten, and in turn Microsoft gets access to players that they wouldn't have otherwise.

It's a win-win-win
Who says Microsoft is interested in that though? Sounds to me like Microsoft is going for an all or nothing here.

Jul 10, 2020
"Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don't sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?" I asked.

"Yes," Spencer quickly replied.

Then he paused.

"I don't want to be flip about that," he added. "This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I'll also say in the model—I'm just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don't have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means."

Pretty much most Bethseda titles will be skipping the PS Ecosystem.

Prepare thyself.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking Nintendo just let them takeover your online infrastructure since it completely sucks anyways.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was Phil Spencer that said it before, I would really look at Ori as the exception to the rule. Moon studios really wanted to do it and they had set a precedent with the last game in the series being on Switch.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
That's actually a super illuminating quote in terms of what MS really wants, in terms of their relationship with other consoles.

Strengthening their content portfolio is strengthening their negotiating hand in terms of getting the full schilling - gamepass - onto other platforms. That's what they want, individual ports was probably just an attempt at some early bridge building in negotiations.

+ MS treats their devs well. Maybe Moon Studios wanted it to happen (like Alan Wake getting Steam port/listed again on X360) so they greenlighted it.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
"Is it possible to recoup a $7.5 billion investment if you don't sell Elder Scrolls VI on the PlayStation?" I asked.

Then he paused.

"I don't want to be flip about that," he added. "This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games. But I'll also say in the model—I'm just answering directly the question that you had—when I think about where people are going to be playing and the number of devices that we had, and we have xCloud and PC and Game Pass and our console base, I don't have to go ship those games on any other platform other than the platforms that we support in order to kind of make the deal work for us. Whatever that means."

Prepare thyself.

I'm not sure, to me the "deal was not done to take games away" leaves it open to interpretation. I don't think they will do it, but I think Phil was just saying they don't need to in order for the deal to be successful

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Then he paused.

Prepare thyself.

They can play the altruistic card forever

They plan on competing for people to be on their ecosystem. I personally feel the market is large enough for them to not bother competing but if they want to move their hardware into homes this has to be part of the equation especially if Sony isn't planning to budge

Its sucks from the consumer angle

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
I'm guessing we won't see any games that need connectivity on switch. Xbox users are tilted enough that pc uses the same Xbox live service at no charge, imagine doing the same thing on switch.
Unless Msoft wants to remove the charge altogether...hint hint nudge nudge...

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I mean stranger things have happened, but I really don't see Sony or Nintendo allowing Game Pass into their walled gardens.

Ask me again after that Epic v Apple lawsuit over walled garden app/content stores is over with...

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
All I really want is MCC on Switch. (And Chief in Smash would be a nice bonus, but I'll take what I can get.)

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
I mean, with Game Pass cloud gaming, it effectively increases the availability of many games to millions of users who wouldn't otherwise have access.

But it was made to take away the games from Playstation/Nintendo playerbase. If it wasn't he would have no trouble saying "The next Elder Scrolls/Fallout/etc will be on PS5" instead of saying "it will be decided on a case by case basis".

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
What a shock. He wants Gamepass on everything, this has been known for a long time.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess Phil decided it was time he got something out of this arrangement.

Good luck getting Nintendo to play ball on that one.