• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
www.theguardian.com

Phil Spencer on the future of Xbox: we still want to take risks with games

While developing traditional narrative games is harder than it has ever been, Microsoft’s Xbox chief sees an opportunity in using modern platforms and tech to tell new stories

Over the last decade, the concept of "games as a service" has revolutionised the way the interactive entertainment industry works. From the subscriptions introduced by massively multiplayer online adventures such as World of Warcraft to the seasonal battle passes of current online shooters, we're seeing a huge amount of focus on games that can sustain a lucrative community of players over several years.

But where does that leave more offbeat ideas and concepts that couldn't support years' worth of play? Where does it leave the single-player narrative adventure – the blockbusting genre that brought us titles such as Metal Gear Solid, Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect? It's a genre Sony has supported through funding the studios that make games such as The Last of Us, Spider-Man and God of War. But Microsoft has focused its efforts on cross-platform, connected games, as symbolised by the mammoth Minecraft industry. Is there still room for traditional forms of narrative games on the Xbox Series X?

"I think we're probably building more of those now than we've been in the history of Xbox," says Xbox chief Phil Spencer. "Platform holders, whether that platform is subscription or a hardware device or a store, are actively investing in new and probably more risky things, because, if it works, we get value out of bringing players into the ecosystem."

Both Spencer and Booty are also very clear that if video games are going to expand their audience into new demographics and territories, they will need to tell new stories – and that will require new types of studios, in new places. Does this mean Microsoft might purchase a studio in India, Africa or South America? "It would actually surprise me if that doesn't happen," says Spencer. "Just knowing the talent that's available, and the tools [such as game engines Unity and Unreal] that are so much more accessible … I would be surprised if in the next three to five years, you don't see numerous studios in places that aren't the traditional hubs of video game development."

Much more in the link.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
"Matt Booty, head of Microsoft Studios, agrees "

tenor.gif

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Both Spencer and Booty

lol, Booty.

------------

In all seriousness, though it makes sense. On one hand, you'd think "they'll just make service games that they can continue to get MTX/DLC off of" and while that's going to be true to some extent (Who doesn't want continual revenue off one product?). But on the other hand you need those risks to keep interest in the platform/service and to potentially grow more franchises. Some of our favorite IPs were likely a risk at one point or another after all.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Overall not a very intresting article or new stuff. Its all logical. They will make games of every genre as that is what drives gamepass.

overtoncanon

Mar 14, 2021
Not really anything new to come out of this article. Just a reiteration of old points with quotes that don't really add much.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Spencer talks a big game, but he's been saying stuff like this for at least 3 years and little has changed in terms of Xbox's output. Actions, not words.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't finish reading the article, got stuck on this:
At last month's E3 trade show, Microsoft revealed that it was planning to combine Game Pass with its streaming technology xCloud, allowing users to try demos of titles before downloading and playing them.
did the author write this in 2020, they even linked to a old article.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's always annoying when the headline of an article is a quote (Phil Spencer: "we still want to take risks with games") and then that quote is nowhere in the actual interview.

Like, what's the quote in reference to? The leading question is literally "Is there still room for traditional forms of narrative games on the Xbox Series X?" which doesn't sound like 'taking risks'.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Spencer talks a big game, but he's been saying stuff like this for at least 3 years and little has changed in terms of Xbox's output. Actions, not words.

this line with never stop being hilarious.
We can directly see a clear path to a plethora of game releases, starting later this month. There's also no logic behind the assumption that the studios now purchased by MS will suddenly and spontaneously stop making games.

'Little has changed' indeed

overtoncanon

Mar 14, 2021

Agreed I am getting sick of the repeated pr cycle with no payoff. It's kind of ridiculous tbh neither sony or nintendo are this long on the tooth with pr.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't finish reading the article, got stuck on this:
did the author write this in 2020, they even linked to a old article.
It's always annoying when the headline of an article is a quote (Phil Spencer: "we still want to take risks with games") and then that quote is nowhere in the actual interview.

Like, what's the quote in reference to? The leading question is literally "Is there still room for traditional forms of narrative games on the Xbox Series X?" which doesn't sound like 'taking risks'.
The whole article is weird in general.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
They literally just announced 27 games which will all release on Game Pass @ D1, spread in a little over 1 year (therefore winning E3).

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean Microsoft might purchase a studio in India, Africa or South America?
It would be interesting if this ever happened. I would really like more games with stories from these cultures and backgrounds. there is still a lot to do in that space. also it is nice to hear that they are building more single player narrative adventure games, if gamepass is to become very successful worldwide they will definitely need to invest in 1st party and create games in various genres that cater to the different/diverse//unique interests of gamers...

so far Xbox seems to have done a great job in terms of 1st party studios and genres covered. but IMO they still need
- a JRPG studio , fighting game studio and one or two more studios to cater to Kid friendly content and third person sp narrative adventure games.

Last edited:

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Them not rushing delivery dates and prematurely shoving a bunch of games out from studios they bought makes me more confident, not less.

Do your thing, Phil.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. Something their competitors already do.

I will only believe Phil if he lets 343 Industries create a game other than Halo.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Platform holders, whether that platform is subscription or a hardware device or a store, are actively investing in new and probably more risky things, because, if it works, we get value out of bringing players into the ecosystem.
I am ready to be convinced, for the first time. Bring the games Phil.

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco
It's nice to see that Xbox is thinking about regions like Africa.
I hope they'll have support for the continent soon. (Outside of South Africa, since it's the only country supported there)

Jan 4, 2018

I will only believe Phil if he lets 343 Industries create a game other than Halo.
What if, I know it sounds crazy, but what if, he already lets them but they want to do more Halo?
Since you know, it's a studio created to make games in that franchise and people postulate there to work in Halo

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017

343i was set-up to make Halo, their staff have all been hired to make Halo, that is the studio's modus operandi. You can still take risks whilst making Halo; the latest game includes the biggest change to formula of any Halo game ever, has taken five years to develop, has been given a 12 month delay and runs on a brand-new proprietary engine. Halo Infinite is built on a foundation of fairly big risks.

As for the article it basically reiterates what we already know. Xbox will be hands-off with their studios and won't mandate that they must make service games, annualised content or games which dovetail perfectly with the Game Pass model.

May 19, 2020
too early to say if he's talking bullshit or not but this guy typically blows a lot of smoke (even though i enjoy my gamepass stuff)

Last edited:

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Has 343i been asking to make something other than Halo?

Because sure, I'll support their request, but I don't know if that's what they've been asking for, so pretending that they are being denied is some real bullshit as far as I can tell.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
343 should actually make a good halo campaign first before branching out into its own IP lol

MS did something actually really cool and let a studio they bought buy themselves back out. Respected their wishes.

But apparently MS screwed over the people who stayed to make more Halo games?

If so I just hope that 343i wants to make something that is a lot cooler than Luke Smith's tedious shit.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Overall not a very intresting article or new stuff. Its all logical. They will make games of every genre as that is what drives gamepass.

True, but they did tangentially confirm more acquisitions are on the way. Not that any further confirmation was really needed. Spencer saying that he'd be surprised if in a couple of years, MS haven't acquired studios in as yet unrepresented places. They are definitely speaking to people.

Doub

Nov 11, 2020
Not sure about the "still" part of "still wanna take risks", so far they haven't taken many and that's why people were not as enthusiastic for their offerings (besides maybe sea of thieves that was part of the gaas push but was still risky in a way to put Rare on something like this)
But with so many studios and the gamepass format, there's never been a better time to start taking risks and let creativity loose.
I'm very curious to see the projects that will be announced from 2022 and beyond.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about the "still" part of "still wanna take risks", so far they haven't taken many and that's why people were not as enthusiastic for their offerings (besides maybe sea of thieves that was part of the gaas push but was still risky in a way to put Rare on something like this)
But with so many studios and the gamepass format, there's never been a better time to start taking risks and let creativity loose.
I'm very curious to see the projects that will be announced from 2022 and beyond.
I mean in the last year they released Tell me Why, Gears Tactics, Flight Simulator, Minecraft Dungeons, Battletoads and more.
Those are not broad games/ genre in general. But for them risk is different then a indie dev or something. But this whole risk thing is abit weird overall as it doesnt really appear in the article.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft didn't force Rare to make Sea of Thieves though, did they? That's the game Rare wanted to make and the point of this article is that they are letting studios make what creatively inspires them.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I mean in the last year they released Tell me Why, Gears Tactics, Flight Simulator, Minecraft Dungeons, Battletoads and more.
Those are not broad games/ genre in general.

Hell, they released Gears Pop into the world. If that's not a risk I don't know what is. But yes, you are right. The narrative of Xbox only producing a small range of games has not been true for a while already. There's much more risk taking going on at MS towers than anywhere in Jim Ryan's head.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
People will only stop saying this kind of stuff once the games are out, and of a high quality.

Until then I think it's fair to have some scepticism, as Phil Spencer really has been making these kinds of promises for years and years.

Platform warring is an extremely resilient endeavor. They'll move to something else.

The usual process for insider vetting is by PMing a mod and giving them your credentials. ghostcrew can confirm.

If you have hard, insider evidence that 343i wants to make a non-Halo game and are being denied by Xbox leadership, you should disclose this.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
People will only stop saying this kind of stuff once the games are out, and of a high quality.

Until then I think it's fair to have some scepticism, as Phil Spencer really has been making these kinds of promises for years and years.
They have released Gears Tactics this year on console and to this they are going to add Psychonauts 2, Flight Simulator, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5 and Deathloop on PlayStation 5.

People that stick with this mindset are running out of runway.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
It's tough, how many games manage to please everyone for both campaign and multiplayer?
They have been taking risks, which is not a bad thing. They nailed campaign in Halo 4 but some of the changes and maps they brought onto Halo 4 were not great.

They followed this by nailing Halo 5's multiplayer; that was the best multiplayer ever in a Halo title. They floundered with the campaign with Locke and the story was not great.

Halo Wars 2 set them up extremely well with Atriox. I think this might be the game where they nail both aspects.