• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Xbox streaming stick

"I think you're going to see lower priced hardware as part of our ecosystem when you think about streaming sticks and other things that somebody might want to just go plug into their TV and go play via xCloud," says Spencer. "You could imagine us even having something that we just included in the Game Pass subscription that gave you an ability to stream xCloud games to your television and buying the controller."

A new Xbox Game Pass tier

Spencer also teases the potential for an "Xbox Game Pass Platinum" with guaranteed access to new Xbox hardware. Microsoft has been bundling Xbox subscriptions and hardware together in something called Xbox All Access, which includes access to Xbox Game Pass and the latest Xbox Series X and Series X consoles. It's a bundle that Spencer is obviously keen to experiment with in the future.

On iOS :
"We have a good solution on iOS that I think it'll be coming kind of early next year, I feel good about the solution that we have," says Spencer.
www.theverge.com

Xbox chief hints at TV streaming sticks for xCloud

Additional tiers of xCloud game streaming could be on the way

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
The original interview that the Verge is sourcing is behind a paywall. Lame.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to have some ETA on iOS streaming, now give us some info about PC support.

The stick also sounds interesting. Wish my Fire TV 4k stick would support xCloud well enough but the sideloading seems to be quite stuttery.
Maybe MS could release a native app that runs better as well.

Hendog1981

Oct 28, 2017
So does having a TV streaming stick mean they are can take advantage of 6 billion devices instead of 3 billion šŸ˜‚.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
The Bethesda news makes me seriously consider a jump back into the Xbox ecosystem, would a streaming stick be the best option i wonder lol

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Streaming Stick please. I'm waiting for ANYBODY to do a solution for Fire Stick 4K. At this stage, Amazon's effort will come to my area first.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I've got to give Phil some credit. I didn't agree with MS plan about completely abandoning Kinect 2.0 or VR in some fashion, but this direction that MS has chosen is something that has not only been in conversation since the Keighley Bonus Round days, but is also an incredibly powerful move that could change the gaming landscape. Like...forever.

I don't think that's hyperbole.

MS has quadrupled down on scaling the affordability of gaming. They're removing the barriers of entry all round. The Gamepass/Gamestop/Console-on-Credit/Studio Ownership on Multiplatform/revenue based on MAU is the looooong chess game that, if effective, is pretty damn hard to beat.

I keep remembering when MS started releasing games on iOS years ago and began the early conversations about reinforcing their software side again. I knew something was happening, but I didn't predict this whole picture coming into focus.

Bravo.

Amnixia

ā–² Legend ā–²
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Yeah the workaround was known for iOS. They are copying Amazon.

Hopefully this won't lead to Apple locking down Safari.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Mainly because having a higher tier for subscription for access to new hardware seems a bit redundant if the refresh isn't going to be fairly frequent.

We know this is a strategy MS want to pursue, it's no secret they want to be doing incremental upgrades, so 2 years seems pretty much the ideal timeframe, especially given that's already the duration of All Access.

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
Mainly because having a higher tier for subscription for access to new hardware seems a bit redundant if the refresh isn't going to be fairly frequent.

We know this is a strategy MS want to pursue, it's no secret they want to be doing incremental upgrades, so 2 years seems pretty much the ideal timeframe, especially given that's already the duration of All Access.
Fair points. Maybe I will wait for it then

Level 7 Boss

Jun 19, 2018
They need to make Xcloud more accessible to the mainstream so a steaming stick makes sense.

Amazon already have this in place so Microsoft needs to make this play.

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
I'm curious if Phil Spencer being so open
with their plans and time frames helps Microsoft rivals. Does Google, Amazon and Sony constantly give out such information on a regular basis?

Deleted member 13077

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fair points. Maybe I will wait for it then

Yeah, it's the main reason I just don't see the value in the Series X right now. Most of Microsoft's big first party hitters are 2 or 3 years away, and right now I'm convinced by the time they drop there will be an Xbox better equipped to make the most of them than the Series X.

Perseus

Sep 5, 2019
Apple will just block them, Microsoft as usual wants everything by giving nothing. And I am against streaming services and Microsoft's view of the future. Handing them so much control over pricing by destroying retail is bad in my book. And no, the GameStop deal just serves Microsoft's goal to promote their digital ecosystem, once they get what they want MS will hang GameStop out to dry.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Still waiting for that 1080p upgrade. He always promises a lot but it is always TBA.
Just release an app for android TV and smart tvs. It can't be that difficult.

Deleted member 13077

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More so screams a disc-less series x first

Seems crazy they didn't offer that as a $399 option in the first place, although launching with 3 skus would maybe be overkill.

I actually have no problem with faster iterations. Every 24 months would mean I would jump in every 2nd iteration (4 years - which is about the point I feel hardware starts getting long in the tooth).

Yeah, on an all access type plan I'd be happy with that too, so long as the software made the upgrade worthwhile.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Apple will just block them, Microsoft as usual wants everything by giving nothing. And I am against streaming services and Microsoft's view of the future. Handing them so much control over pricing by destroying retail is bad in my book. And no, the GameStop deal just serves Microsoft's goal to promote their digital ecosystem, once they get what they want MS will hang GameStop out to dry.
Nah this is a game changer I'd buy it in a heartbeat as I dont need to buy expensive hardware to play Xbox games. No PC purchase or Xbox required. Sign me up.

Sep 7, 2020
They just keep expanding the options that you have to play in their ecosystem. I think its a stretch but it may give some credence to the fact that expanding their ecosystem will come with additional requirements for content, which makes my brain just think about possibly an additional studio acquisition within the next 365 days. Definitely don't think anything can top Bethesda so a smaller studio would make some sense.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Streaming stick would be ace and also great if you could stream to another TV as well as xcloud.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
The streaming stick will launch once they have upgraded the servers to Series X blades and the performance will be much better. Hopefully it continues to be part of the GPU bundle and the price doesn't change.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Apple will just block them

Apple can't block them using a web app, like Amazon is doing with Luna.

Microsoft as usual wants everything by giving nothing.

I'm perfectly happy with them not giving in to Apple and making an app per xCloud game. No sane person wants this.

And I am against streaming services and Microsoft's view of the future.

Microsoft view of the future? That's a view shared by Microsoft, Sony, amazon, Facebook and Google.

How can you be 'against streaming' when it's an option? That's a weird as me being against puzzle games since I don't play them.

Handing them so much control over pricing by destroying retail is bad in my book.

Gamepass and xCloud aren't 'destroying retail'.

How exactly does xCloud on xbox destroy retail sales for PS5 and Nintendo switch games ?

And no, the GameStop deal just serves Microsoft's goal to promote their digital ecosystem, once they get what they want MS will hang GameStop out to dry.

GameStop is a pretty sizable customer for Windows, office and azure. Additionally, they still need console sales.

There no logic in an assumption that MS will 'hang GameStop out to fry.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I mean MS is doing more for Gamestop than what Google, Amazon, Nintendo, Apple and Sony are doing.

Sep 7, 2020
This is system wars mentality. How does being in the dark benefit you as a consumer? If the competition knows sooner, they can compete sooner. Better for you.
Yeah, its interesting to see differing opinions on when companies should and should not give you information lol. I always thought more transparency is good for the consumer as long as its truthful. Others may see it from a perspective of not giving information to their competition but even so, your competition would still need to find innovative ways to make what you have in mind to become fruitful (not to say that transparency has always been helpful to those giving out the information).

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
"This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games."