• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
A man of culture.
While Microsoft won't dictate what developers will optimise for on the Xbox Series X, Xbox head Phil Spencer said he'd prefer to play games with higher frame rates over those with a larger resolution.

"As we were looking at the future, the feel of the games was definitely something that we wanted to have more focus on, not just throwing more pixels up on the screen."

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Despite the first line saying he won't tell developers what to prioritise watch the flames . I personally agree and would rather a smooth 60 every day but there is room for both

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
I agree but I think graphics options in the menus pretty much cover what everyone wants.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
didnt he just tweet out a picture implying xbox series x was 8K ready lmao
... And? That's still the case lol

He can't and won't dictate devs how they should use the additional power.

It's definitely a great sign fir their first-party though. Although many of their first-party games run at 60fps on Xbox One (X) already anyway

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phil is on the right side of history.

Gimme them frames

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Just give me the option. Pretty or framerate. It's already done with some games on the current consoles

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If it's up to the developers, I'm not really sure what this is supposed to mean. Is it just a personality quiz?

With all them horses under the hood, why can't we just get the option?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It easier to say that when you will have games on XB One... Of course those games will ended up being 60 FPS on Serie X...
But come back in 3 years Phil.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Our guy.

But seriously if this is the case why are we still chasing native 4K, it's a waste of resources.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
th

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda think we're going to see a lot of crossgen games that are 30fps on Xbox One, and 60fps+ on Xbox Series X.

I don't think it's a bad thing, I also prefer framerate.

I expect eventually when games are dropping last gen support, we might see 30fps games next gen too.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect. It will improve both the look and feel of the games and we won't need a remaster the generation after to make it run well (though we'll probably get one anyway).

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Phil is making the right choice then.
30 fps just looks straight jank.
Would anyone be interested in Ori and the Will of the Wisps in 120hz on Xbox?
:)
didnt he just tweet out a picture implying xbox series x was 8K ready lmao
and? how does that change what he is saying here?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you can tell that by looking at this gen. Halo, Forza and Gears all pushed framerate this gen and all released 60fps entries.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
4K is more than enough for everything on a 55"-65" TV.
Now just make everything 60fps on top. :)

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I wish next gen consoles would include mandatory simple graphic settings like many PS4 Pro games (and Xbox 1X?). Performance/high framerate and Quality/high resolution. Personally, I very rarely use quality mode.

Oct 27, 2017
Well to be fair, if they really do focus on making games run from OG XB1 to XBSX, then "running the same game but at a higher frame rate" was going to be an obvious outcome for the XBSX versions.