• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018
Thing is, those correlations with game pass and the increase of sales data doesn't hold up when you look at NPD.

We don't know one way or another what gamepass did to increase sales on games like Sea of thieves, because they launched on the service the same time they released digitally and physically. If they came later to gamepass and we had sales data for the opening month or so and could compare it to lets say a month down the line when gamepass launched that game it would be a different story.

The real story is how would have state of decay 2 and sea of thieves done without gamepass? And seeing the NPD numbers they seem to fall off a cliff after the honeymoon period. We kind of need some sort of data break down because as it is it's weird. So if phil and NPD analysts are using the number of newly added subs and seeing those people buy the said game they download through gamepass. What's the data look like after launch? ANd also what were they expecting pre-gamepass? I don't think they expected those games to do well at all, so I think they made the decision to put them on gamepass. Which to me muddies the data in how a game is doing sales wise.

Hopefully Mat will do a follow-up on the matter. He's the one with all the NPD data afterall. Of course he couldn't speak about MS's internal projections (pre/post Game Pass), but his input is still the best we can have.

I kind of want straight up digital and physical numbers for actual sales of those games. I honestly think Gamepass is another smart way for MS to hide the fact that their games are not strong on their own to sell. And the way they have incorporated the whole xbox division into windows for their sales metrics also doesn't help either.

At lest with Nintendo and Sony we get somewhat hard numbers at least for physical. With MS it's, "we have 2 million concurrent players on sea of thieves" or something like that.

I would like if someone could get a hold of Mat and ask what the numbers are for actual hard copies sold for Sea of thieves, State of Decay 2.

It's no secret that a lot of MS games this gen didn't sell that well, or at least underperformed compared to previous entries. You won't be getting sales anymore though, even for games that are successful such as the recent Forza Horizon 4. All they talk about are milestones in player count and if the sales are really that good, they add something to their PR (such as «FH4 is the best selling racing games so far on Xbox», etc...). MS might not release numbers anymore to the general public (and I understand it can cause some concerns to some), but there's still some analysts that get the data. Here we have Mat and Benji for exemple, so we can get some informations from them (such as Mat saying Game Pass can actually help sales). Their insights are the best we get.

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I have to wonder how front loaded this GP based awareness he speaks of might be, and whether the initial larger up front sales from added GP coverage, compensate for any potential long term revenue loss (one month GP sub vs full price). It'll be interesting to see, though we'll likely never know in detail due to how tight Microsoft are with numbers.

I'm wondering the same thing, just in terms of where growth will start to settle out. My guess is they have a sense of where that is with just the XB1 for its platform, which is why expanding to an official PC offering matters strategically.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Hopefully Mat will do a follow-up on the matter. He's the one with all the NPD data afterall. Of course he couldn't speak about MS's internal projections (pre/post Game Pass), but his input is still the best we can have.

It's no secret that a lot of MS games this gen didn't sell that well, or at least underperformed compared to previous entries. You won't be getting sales anymore though, even for games that are successful such as the recent Forza Horizon 4. All they talk about are milestones in player count and if the sales are really that good, they add something to their PR (such as «FH4 is the best selling racing games so far on Xbox», etc...). MS might not release numbers anymore to the general public (and I understand it can cause some concerns to some), but there's still some analysts that get the data. Here we have Mat and Benji for exemple, so we can get some informations from them (such as Mat saying Game Pass can actually help sales). Their insights are the best we get.

Well the reason I think they don't give out that kind of sales data anymore is it hurt their stock for xbox. It does not look good on a investors report. I think being beaten by a lot by their competitor and seeing franchise sales less than what they had seen in the past from previous entry's didn't do them any favors with investors and the higher ups on the windows side.

I think them incorporating it into windows was a way to mask how xbox was really doing. Especially compared to xbox 360. Sony still has seperte sectors with playstation being the leading sector for the entire company, with maybe minus their mobile software which has been huge.
I just find it weird that in a way they have been able to mask how bad the division has done this entire gen with having almost all games be on a service to in a way mask numbers of physical sales with growth of subs that show an uptick in interest in games that are also bought.

In a way they make it look like they are in a better position than their competitors on paper when in reality they are not. Xbox as Matt the poster put it to me has been showing huge growth within the past year, but I would attribute that more to xbox one X, and continued discounted bundles that helps increase sales for xbox live subs. And also having people who access xbox live wither a mobiel device or PC also counts for activity and active users.
It all just adds up to them trying to make the hard numbers of actual people buying physical and digital games muddy in what is actually being shown and how well games are doing.
It's like here are the sales of these games, but then MS makes a response on how many people are active playing a game that has a demo and a free game pass trial to access it. NPD shows it charting, then within a month it falls off a cliff.

It's mitigating drastic stock changes that are attributed usually with sales, reception, and growth numbers.

Deleted member 41104

Banned
Mar 15, 2018
Not what I said at all, but you're welcome to have another crack at it.

In fact, he said it when Sea of Thieves released - one game, one point of data, which is laughable.

..is what you said. You totally imply that what Mat said is laughable, because he relied on one game, one point of data. No need to take another crack at it, it was clear as day the first time. You're totally welcomed to defend your point, but what you said was pretty straightforward and implied exactly what I just explained.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
If he was already a subscriber, why would he buy the game? If he kept his sub up for 6 months, he could have played and beaten GOW, Detroit and Spiderman, all for $60.

People get gifts or trials for stuff all the time. My friend doesn't even consider games he gets from PS+ to be his. He's basically the average Era user when it comes to "owning" games, so he doesn't really subscribe with his own money to these things unless gifted or if he's using the service like a trial (which is what he'd have done if God of War had been in a Game Pass service. He'd have dropped a few bucks for a month of the service just to see if he liked it and then bought it to own later.

I'm actually surprised (not that surprised :P) at the general vibe around here about this kind of data since everyone here usually beats the "I like to own my games" drum. It's not that surprising to me that there is a large chunk of people who would simply never use Game Pass on principle to participate in the hobby, and therefore the people that will use Game Pass are just helping market games to the former group (and paying $10 a month to do it!).

I'll take my own situation with Forza Horizon 4. We heard that it sold very well. In my case, I have a rule that I won't buy any game at launch (ever) and I won't buy any game for its asking price (no matter what it is). It's how I save money, and keep a more manageable backlog. But I did snag over a year of Game Pass around E3, and will probably continue to do so with my MS Rewards credits (can get a month of GP in less than a month so basically the service is free to me). I've been streaming it, talking about it, etc... since it came out. I got 2 friends to buy it (who don't use Game Pass since they're all "I like to own my games" ). And at no point did this cannibalize a sale since I wasn't going to buy it anyway at launch. And then later when they eventually take it off the service (as I'm sure they'll have to eventually, I assume?), I'll buy it because I like Forza games and will want to have it around.

MS made more money off of my situation than they would have without GP. And apparently according to literally every person with data including independent data people like Mat, my situation isn't a rare one. Are there people using GP to replace purchasing full games they would've bought otherwise? Sure. I have no doubt about that at all. But all signs seems to show that people like that are rare, and are offset by people who wouldn't have purchased games actually going out and purchasing games because of GP (either their own sub, or more likely a friend's).

talkTOmyHAND

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
It's pswii60

And please do let us know of other 69 Metacritic games that have remained in the top 20 for almost two months.

Also Mat has repeated his Game Pass comments on here multiple times since that tweet.

Sorry for your nick. And for the bolded part - The Order 1886 ( 63 ). Surprised? Btw. IIRC last time when Mat mentioned how Gamepass is boosting sales was when SOD 2 was launched ( NPD thread?? ). Well, that game fell of the charts too pretty quickly too.

Yeah, except the member's nick typo, didn't said anything wrong.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I think we can agree Game Pass is great for MS and its 1st party projects.

However,as some people said already,i don't see how the numbers work for big 3rd party publishers and their new AAA titles.

What will most likely happen is that others will follow EA and launch their own subscription services.

Game Pass content will be limited to MS 1st party games,old AAA games from smaller publishers that can not afford their own subscription service,some AA titles and indie games.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
In fact, he said it when Sea of Thieves released - one game, one point of data, which is laughable.

..is what you said. You totally imply that what Mat said is laughable, because he relied on one game, one point of data. No need to take another crack at it, it was clear as day the first time. You're totally welcomed to defend your point, but what you said was pretty straightforward and implied exactly what I just explained.

And you've missed the point again. I know you want it to be one way, but it's the other way - and what you said there isn't even what you said in your first post.

Deleted member 41104

Banned
Mar 15, 2018
Sorry for your nick. And for the bolded part - The Order 1886 ( 63 ). Surprised? Btw. IIRC last time when Mat mentioned how Gamepass is boosting sales was when SOD 2 was launched ( NPD thread?? ). Well, that game fell of the charts too pretty quickly too.

An update on the subject by Mat would definitely be appreciated. But since SOD2 (which isn't a AAA game), hasn't MS only released Forza Horizon 4 ? You expect a different take for the game ?

Given your history in Xbox threads, I think you want what Mat said about Game Pass to be irrelevant. Saying it is doesn't make it so. It just needs a follow-up, but it isn't that old to make it irrelevant.

And you've missed the point again. I know you want it to be one way, but it's the other way - and what you said there isn't even what you said in your first post.

So what's the point ? How am I wrong ? You never explained what you meant. How can we interpret «in fact, he said it when Sea of Thieves released - one game, one point of data, which is laughable.» ?

What I said initially was :
«But of course, for you, the laughable thing in all of this is Mat and MS with actual data.»

What I said next was :
«You totally imply that what Mat said is laughable, because he relied on one game, one point of data.»

It's totally the same thing in regards to Mat !! The only differentiator is that I left out MS in the second post.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I think we can agree Game Pass is great for MS and its 1st party projects.

However,as some people said already,i don't see how the numbers work for big 3rd party publishers and their new AAA titles.

What will most likely happen is that others will follow EA and launch their own subscription services.

Game Pass content will be limited to MS 1st party games,old AAA games from smaller publishers that can not afford their own subscription service,some AA titles and indie games.

Gamepass is great for xbox yes. Is it great for First party games? Well we won't know 100% until we see a big game like Halo or gears release on it. Forza could give us some good data depending on what we see for NPD on where it is later this week hopefully.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
That game released over 3 years ago.

Irrelevant.

Anyway, you sound like a big fan of Game Pass. What are your favourite games on the service?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm wondering the same thing, just in terms of where growth will start to settle out. My guess is they have a sense of where that is with just the XB1 for its platform, which is why expanding to an official PC offering matters strategically.

Tbh, I think a PC offering could overall be more viable since not only are PC games already cheaper (thus less of a difference between the cost of a game vs a sub) but there's far more piracy too. I'd imagine a Game Pass type service would prevent some lazier or less committed piraters to just opt for such a service instead, especially given the value proposition.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

One outlier does not disprove a point that super badly reviewed games often don't sell.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, he said this at E3 too (in the interview with Gerstmann, I think). No number to confirm it, of course, when Spencer says these games did better than they anticipated. But taking him at his word, it shows that Game Pass is a healthy business model and I'm happy for that. It's a great service. As long as I also can buy the games on disc. (I must be their dream customer, paying for Game Pass as well as buying Forza Horizon 4 at retail.)

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps we could say that the game pass is almost like a definitive way to showcase a game and ultimately gain the trust of the consumer to have them buy a game they enjoy playing. We know how so many times that certain games may come out that either don't meet expectations or worse, feel like the biggest cash grab imaginable. With the game pass though, it is almost like you get to sample each game and you can play it for as long as it is available at no additional cost. And should you like it, get it for yourself and enjoy.

Of course, who knows how the pass will play out in the long run, but at least as far as the short term is concerned, I'm glad the game pass has been a success thus far. Honestly if we think about it, it is as close to "game rentals" as we are going to get in this day and age where Redbox is the only other option and blockbuster is sadly dead and buried.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
It's not going to work out better for every game that goes into Game Pass. Game Pass increases pre-release hype and post release marketing. Pre-release hype and post release marketing doesn't automatically equate to sales. It helps. If it didn't matter at all, companies wouldn't use marketing.

I'm not sure that it would greatly benefit a game like Spider-Man. A single player game that has extremely high consumer awareness.

Any decent multiplayer game will benefit. AA games and Indies in general are more likely to get discovered. Never heard of Mutant Year Zero until it was announced for Game Pass and now it's my most anticipated game left this year.

• Pre-release hype by the community when they know they'll get an upcoming game at no additional cost
  • Spotlight since millions will be tuning in to see the next wave of Game Pass games
  • Mixer/Twitch and word of mouth by a greater number of people after release since more people will try the game
People had fun with Sea of Thieves and State of Decay initially despite the poor ratings. By the time they figured out about all the bugs in SOD or lack of depth on SOT, they already got their friends to buy it.

Initial impressions will be very important for anything that goes into Game Pass. Developers won't be able to save their best for last.

It's not hard to believe the data. It's hard to believe the data will hold up in all scenarios. I'm curious if developers who leverage Game Pass will change their development plans to maximize the short window of extra exposure.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if mandatory demos for all games were put up on their respective stores, if that would have any impact on a business model like this.

talkTOmyHAND

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I linked to it in my post but you edited it out.

I didn't edited it out much to be vastly different from original post. I don't see a hypocrisy there. You asked me which 69 metacritic game was in top 20. I gave you a simple answer. Doesn't matter how old the game is or it is something Gamepass related. Let's not be friends.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Game pass is designed to upgrade or buy ultimate games, Forza Horizon 4 is a prime example having done the vast majority of content within 30-40 hours unless you want 3 Star everything . It's quite clever by Microsoft.

Throw in a few good AA games every month to sweeten the deal, therefore it not a bad deal for people who buy and play slot of games. World of mouth and streaming is what sells games. Most people don't go with the annual fee route.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
It's surprising news but in hindsight, makes sense. A lot of people are probably using it to try before they buy and the increased player base leads to increased word of mouth and as a result those games get a lot of free marketing. But while that may be what's happening at the moment, I feel like it's way too early to draw any real conclusions of the long term effect Game Pass and other subscription services will have. It's not like DVD/BD sales started dropping the minute Netflix popped up, it takes a while for consumer habits to change and I think the same thing will happen here. Eventually people will get used to just paying a sub if they want to play a game and it will start impacting sales. Whether that's a good or bad thing will depend entirely on whether they have enough subscribers to support that business model.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
When someone edits a quote to remove a direct link questioning an inconsistency in their argument, then feigns ignorance to asks what the other person was talking about about, that's when they end up on the ignore list. Woof.

More on topic, is there a planned rollout date for official PC support for Game Pass? I recall it being talked about for a next step, but I can't remember if that was like a mid-2019 thing, or later.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
When someone edits a quote to remove a direct link questioning an inconsistency in their argument, then feigns ignorance to asks what the other person was talking about about, that's when they end up on the ignore list. Woof.

More on topic, is there a planned rollout date for official PC support for Game Pass? I recall it being talked about for a next step, but I can't remember if that was like a mid-2019 thing, or later.

No not yet. Which was something I think might co-release with a revamp to xbox on PC. Which sounds like it's still a ways off, sometime next year probably. And more than likely they will announce it at E3 and show off a bunch of PC stuff including more supported games for Mouse/Keyboard support on xbox with cross play.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017

You keep talking about a game falling off the chart quickly (after topping it in its debut) as a counterpoint to Gamepass helping sales... but there's not really anything to suggest the following month(s) weren't just the game's normalised sales, after having received a significant bump due to Gamepass originally.

For all we know State of Decay 2 simply wouldn't have charted highly (or at all) in its launch month in the absence of Gamepass. Games like Recore and Sunset Overdrive failed to debut within even the top 10, and Quantum Break only reach number 7 despite having a lot more initial hype (and being received better critically) than State of Decay 2. That initial month of sales for games like Sea of Thieves and State of Decay are quite possibly the result of Gamepass boosting their awareness in comparison to the debuts of other lesser known Xbox exclusives that had been charting far lower and then falling off the charts (or not making it onto the charts in the first place).

There's currently a lot less to suggest Gamepass is having a negative impact on sales, than the reverse.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Putting AAA games in Game Pass will have the same impact on retail sales like putting movies on Netflix. The only one who profits from this is the one who ownes the platform.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
How NPD charting is an argument? MANY games fell off NPD charts next month and many more don't even chart. If this is the proof that games are not selling because next month they are not on NPD 10 list, then large number of games are commercial failures.

talkTOmyHAND

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
You keep talking about a game falling off the chart quickly (after topping it in its debut) as a counterpoint to Gamepass helping sales... but there's not really anything to suggest the following month(s) weren't just the game's normalised sales, after having received a significant bump due to Gamepass originally.

For all we know State of Decay 2 simply wouldn't have charted highly (or at all) in its launch month in the absence of Gamepass. Games like Recore and Sunset Overdrive failed to debut within even the top 10, and Quantum Break only reach number 7 despite having a lot more initial hype (and being received better critically) than State of Decay 2. That initial month of sales for games like Sea of Thieves and State of Decay are quite possibly the result of Gamepass boosting their awareness in comparison to the debuts of other lesser known Xbox exclusives that had been charting far lower and then falling off the charts (or not making it onto the charts in the first place).

There's currently a lot less to suggest Gamepass is having a negative impact on sales, than the reverse.

Dunno are you talked about UK charts or NPD charts, but i will talk about UK. Quantum Break was No.1 in UK during launch week. But sales numbers weren't good. Sunset Overdrive also was at 1st place in launch week. Recore reached 5th place during launch week. So, those 3 games were launched when Gamepass didn't exist. SOD 2 and SOT should remained much longer in top 20 because Gamepass, they didn't. So, i don't see boost in sales in any way. So, you will continue to claim that Gamepass boosted sales, i won't. And we will go in circle. So, it's better to stay out of discussion.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Dunno are you talked about UK charts or NPD charts, but i will talk about UK. Quantum Break was No.1 in UK during launch week. But sales numbers weren't good. Sunset Overdrive also was at 1st place in launch week. Recore reached 5th place during launch week. So, those 3 games were launched when Gamepass didn't exist. SOD 2 and SOT should remained much longer in top 20 because Gamepass, they didn't. So, i don't see boost in sales in any way. So, you will continue to claim that Gamepass boosted sales, i won't. And we will go in circle. So, it's better to stay out of discussion.
All those games you mentioned likely failed to even reach 1 million, or only did after significant discounts.

The playerbase along with the max of subscribers, plus the fact that SoT and SoD2 also charted on top of the month NPD chart suggests they all crossed 2 million sales easily.

Also, another argument I just though. They do have other AAA games on gamepass from 3rd parties, not on day one, sure, but perhaps even those are seeing sales spikes when launching on gamepass, and even they are it's even more incredible.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Even if we were to consider the alternative narrative that game sales are actually staying the same and not increasing because of Game Pass, they certainly don't seem to be decreasing.

As such Game Pass is clearly generating sales elsewhere, to replace the lost sales of those playing via subscription that would have otherwise bought the game.

It's the best of both worlds: they get the subscription revenue and still get (at least) the same game revenue.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017

I was referring to NPD.

You can't just say "these games didn't stay longer in the top 20 because of Gamepass". How long did Recore stay in the top 20 on the UK chart without it?

I'm not saying definitively that Gamepass is increasing sales. I'm saying your logic for it negatively impacting sales simply doesn't hold up. Games have dropped off faster and harder than SoT and SoD2 in the Xbox's largest market prior to Gamepass' existence, just without the initial success those games saw.

We're only going around in circles because you're continuing to pretend smaller scale Xbox releases were faring better without Gamepass when that wasn't the case. Most performed worse than SoT and SoD2 whilst big hitters like Foza Horizon 4 still beat out the debut success FH3 saw without Gamepass, and hasn't rapidly fallen off either.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Really cool that this is happening. Hopefully this just makes Gamepass even more of a success.

Man the Sony fanboys in this thread getting worked up about Gamepass is hilarious to me.

Also thinking you know more about how the game industry is doing rather then people who actually work in the industry. LOL common now...please stop trying to be arm chair analysts because it's quite embarrassing.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whether it's on your shelf or in your digital library, people love to own what they consume.

If I'm playing Ashen on Game Pass and I love it, there's absolutely a chance I might want to cop it at its discounted price.

tryDEATH

Banned
Jun 6, 2018
GamePass is ideal for MS since they have built their console on multiplayer games that are meant to be enjoyed and played with your friends. This service just wouldn't work with PS exclusives as all their games are single player games that don't have the replayabitly, which you can come back to constantly with new content to play and explore.

The service is about playing together with your friends be it co-op or multiplayer PvP just as long as you play with your friends. If they keep making those sort of games GamePass will continue to be a huge success.

When it comes to 3rd party games A Way Out would have been perfect for GamePass. Another game I would go out on a limb and say is Monster Hunter World would have also sold much better on Xbox if is was on GamePass. A good game with a lower profile in a relative new market can take advantage of GamePass even if it is just for a couple of months as it would serve both parties good, which I believe will be the case in the future especially for Japanese/Asian developers whom always had trouble reaching a audience on Xbox not due to lack of quality, but just lack of brand recognition.

GamePass is in a position to bridge a lot of gaps for Xbox in the future.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
GamePass is ideal for MS since they have built their console on multiplayer games that are meant to be enjoyed and played with your friends. This service just wouldn't work with PS exclusives as all their games are single player games that don't have the replayabitly, which you can come back to constantly with new content to play and explore.

The service is about playing together with your friends be it co-op or multiplayer PvP just as long as you play with your friends. If they keep making those sort of games GamePass will continue to be a huge success.

When it comes to 3rd party games A Way Out would have been perfect for GamePass. Another game I would go out on a limb and say is Monster Hunter World would have also sold much better on Xbox if is was on GamePass. A good game with a lower profile in a relative new market can take advantage of GamePass even if it is just for a couple of months as it would serve both parties good, which I believe will be the case in the future especially for Japanese/Asian developers whom always had trouble reaching a audience on Xbox not due to lack of quality, but just lack of brand recognition.

GamePass is in a position to bridge a lot of gaps for Xbox in the future.

Then explain why MS just bought a ton of studios that do Single Player experiences exclusively with the intent of using them to boost GamePass?

What about Netflix, Crunchyroll, and Hulu? Why do people subscribe to those services that are only watch once videos?

People really need to get more educated regarding the Financials of the game industry.

As an example, most console owners buy less than 2 games on average per year. If MS gets enough of these people to subscribe to GamePass, they make significantly more money off them and likely lock them into their platform for a long time.

Even for Sony, a game Like the new God of War has only hit about a 10% attach rate. If it was on a service like GamePass it might draw in millions more subscribers who only bought that 1 game this year and lead to significantly more profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.