• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 3, 2018
Really pleased with the inroads MS has made with getting Japanese games released on the system.

Just need Dragon Quest, Ni No Kuni to finally cross over. I still think Tokyo RPG Factory games would be perfect for GamePass.

Really exciting times.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Can't wait
Next gen will be amazing bro :)

I swear we get this tweet every year
Giving Xbox fans updates via tweets shouldn't bother you.
Yes and it is great to see his visits yielding some better results. Can't wait to see what they have planned this time and I hope we keep getting these little updates.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Japanese games and Xbox have always been in a conundrum. Xbox doesn't have the audience that buys Japanese devs so the devs dont support the platform. Since devs dont support the platform, Xbox doesn't get many gamers who prefer Japanese devloped content. Game Pass could be the thing that gets them out of this rut. Due to Game Pass, they can expose more Western leaning gamers to Japanese content at little to no risk. Might be the only way to grow the demand.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft's attempts at funding japanese games at every xbox launch since the very first one has resulted in good games. Those times also had some convoluted releases after the fact, like Metal Wolf and Tales of Vesperia getting sucked into some weird limbo that took way too long to correct.
I just hope we are past those localization nightmares and and lack of PC support and there really is no excuse for that in this time and age.
Hopefully good marketing will follow, not that i think it will make the next Xbox console a success in japan but that is not their goal anymore.
It's to make the Microsoft eco-system more attractive to everyone.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just last November they announced basically all Final Fantasy games coming to Game Pass, the Yakuza games coming to Xbox One and the Kingdom Hearts collection doing the same. Other than that we had a lot more anime or anime-style games than before (Sword Art Online, Code:Vein, Valkyrie, etc.) so I think things are improving on the Japanese side.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Getting ports out to people is for one an immediate way to improve the reach of japanese games, never would have expected PSO2 coming out in america at least unless someone was willing to burn some money for it to occur. Microsoft got deep enough pockets for that, it should help japanese companies to try getting a little bit more ambitious for next gen if they get additional funding without the pressure to get x amount of sales.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
From my understanding, it's been suggested Sony gives these third parties "incentives" to keep these games exclusive or at least console exclusive.

Your quote marks make this sound very sinister.

51% of Sega... Do it Phil!

Yes please, announced onstage with a remake of Jet Set Radio Future, with a team of lawyers having worked around the clock for the last 5 years securing the rights to the original soundtrack.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
I hope he continues to work to fill the more egregious gaps in the Xbox's game library, especially the franchises that ditched Xbox having previously been on 360.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phil keeps stating they want more diversity in GP and JP is key to that. And that acquisitions are still part of their strategy ;)

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Phil has really done a good job with bringing the Xbox One a lot closer to the PS4's in terms of Japanese games. Early this gen, it felt like even most big Japanese games were skipping Xbox but now it's very few. Xbox is becoming a great place to play Japanese games. Looking forward to replaying Yakuza 0 and some Final Fantasies on Game Pass.
At the start of the 360 it even had japanese exclusive games. Xbox lost a lot of ground in Japan during the One era.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Drive-by trolling; history of similar infractions
The Great Philgrimage will yield results very soon.

thank you phil, you are truly one of us
GAMERS RISE UP!

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Microsoft doesn't "need" Japanese studios for their portfolio but it would definitely help them in acquiring the JRPG/JARPG market for Xbox systems.

If I was them, I would be acquiring AA Japanese studios that license their development talents to the big Japanese publishers. Acquiring a library of dormant Japanese games would also work in Microsoft's favour for nostalgia and cross-platforming with the Nintendo Switch.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft doesn't "need" Japanese studios for their portfolio but it would definitely help them in acquiring the JRPG/JARPG market for Xbox systems.

If I was them, I would be acquiring AA Japanese studios that license their development talents to the big Japanese publishers. Acquiring a library of dormant Japanese games would also work in Microsoft's favour for nostalgia and cross-platforming with the Nintendo Switch.
Which AA Japanese studios in particular?

EXXo

Nov 12, 2019
Manchester
To be honest making great moves recently, every FF from 7 being released on GP and the Yakuza games which tbh I thought we wouldn't ever see outside of Playstation.

Will be interesting to see if they can pull more big JRPG franchises that have been PS4 or Switch only so far, Dragon Quest would be huge and the fact they got PSO2 to be released in the west (even if only NA) is massive.

Excited to see.

I'm hoping they reopen Scalebound and make it a Series X exclusive, that game looked like it was pushing the Xbox.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
At the start of the 360 it even had japanese exclusive games. Xbox lost a lot of ground in Japan during the One era.
I was talking about early this gen. Xbox was missing out on borderline all Japanese games that weren't targeting the west specifically. We didn't get Tales of games, now we are. We didn't get Final Fantasy remakes, now we are. We didn't get Yakuza, now we are. We didn't get Kingdom Hearts remakes, now we are. We didn't get Nier, now we are. We also missed out on a ton of anime games but now we are getting most.

Not going to argue that Xbox didn't have its peak in terms of Japanese games early Xbox 360 but they lost that when Mattrick completely ignored Japan. The early Xbox One years were absolutely abysmal for fans of Japanese games. Under Phil's reign he has steadily been improving the situation.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Fans of Japanese games that prefer Xbox should know better by now than to make news out of this bullshit.

He has been doing this for years, and Xbox is still exclusively left out of multiplatform games. It's a second class, "better late than never" platform for us.

It's trending up. There's been progress especially for users of Game Pass. They'll never get the same traditional Japanese support as the other platforms for obvious reasons. I think the Xbox sell to fans of Japanese games is that enough of them come to Game Pass...which could be a unique value proposition not currently on other platforms. I don't think the goals of these meetings are the same as they used to be. Less about getting exclusives and more about bolstering the value of their service and making it more well rounded in terms of diversity of content...which is certainly happening.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding studio acquisitions...
For MS it may make sense but I don't think it make sense for a japanese developer to be bought by MS. The sales would decrease a lot since Xbox is barely sold at all in Japan. It would be better for the devs if MS just went out to hunt for exclusive publishing deals for specific titles that don't sell much in Japan but would sell in the west. No idea what that would be though.