• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I hope he's talking to Squeeenix about funding a Vagrant Story Remake.

Some extra incentive to Sega about those Persona ports would be nice, too.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019

Great to see their continued commitment to bring content from Japan to the Xbox platform.

As a reminder, at X019 they announced

• Yakuza 0
  • Yakuza Kiwami
  • Yakuza Kiwami 2
and
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
  • Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2
  • Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  • Final Fantasy XV
coming to Xbox / Game Pass.

Also we have

• Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 Remix
    • Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
    • Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
    • Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days (HD Remastered Cinematics)
    • Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix
    • Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix
    • Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (HD Remastered Cinematics)
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue

will come to Xbox One in 2020.

And of course, at E3 2019, they announced Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to Xbox in 2020.

Some good first results from Phil's regular trips to Japan.

EJf20rMXUAAmZIU

Yakuza_HERO-1.jpg

I would add that they managed to grab Nier Automata and Tales of Vesperia, and the world premiere trailer of Dragon Ball Fighter Z and Jump Force. So X019 wasn't their first success with getting back Japanese games.

The next on the list seems to obviously be Persona 5.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think MS might be in a better position then they have ever been due to gamepass, especially on PC. Japanese developers have proven to be far more open about PC support than the Xbox console itself and gamepass seems like great gateway into that.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I don't know, but this idea that if they weren't owned by another company, they would be too much for MS is laughable.

Your not getting what I'm laying down. Majong buy was immediate in making them money for their return on the buy. Minecraft sells millions, and they opened it up to more devices.

From software is limited to right now consoles with a few PC releases, and is not a wide mainstream software that would be installed to an OS. Which minecraft is.

Minecraft is basically the new Windows Solitaire. It's on every machine that has windows now. And is available on iOs,Android I believe you can use it in a browser in CHrome OS as well.

That is something that would be taken into consideration.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your not getting what I'm laying down. Majong buy was immediate in making them money for their return on the buy. Minecraft sells millions, and they opened it up to more devices.

From software is limited to right now consoles, and is not a wide mainstream software that would be installed to an OS. Which minecraft is.

Minecraft is basically the new Windows Solitaire. It's on every machine that has windows now. And is available on iOs,Android I believe you can use it in a browser in CHrome OS as well.

That is something that would be taken into consideration.
From Software is a full video game development studio that has been on a current streak of successful titles for a while. MS buying them would be investing in their first party as well as show confidence that future games will continue their success as well as widen their appeal to fans of From to get into the MS ecosystem.

This is obviously something that would be taken into consideration

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
We know that Game Pass has seen many players discover new genres and franchises have made new fans. I think those Square-Enix and SEGA titles entering Game Pass might open up some possibilities to see more ports on Xbox. I'm positive but there is still work to do.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just spent two minutes giggling at this - great stuff!

IMHO the Yakuza and Final Fantasy gamepass anouncements were big news....as I game primarily on Xbox I'm excited to get into these japaneese franchises and try them out, and gamepasss is a really risk free way of doing it.

Never played an FF or Yakuza game and excited to try.

Hope they can do some more wheeling and dealing :-)

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I would add that they managed to grab Nier Automata and Tales of Vesperia, and the world premiere trailer of Dragon Ball Fighter Z and Jump Force. So X019 wasn't their first success with getting back Japanese games.

The next on the list seems to obviously be Persona 5.

It would have really sucked to not get Vesperia DE, given the original game's history.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Regarding studio acquisitions...
For MS it may make sense but I don't think it make sense for a japanese developer to be bought by MS. The sales would decrease a lot since Xbox is barely sold at all in Japan. It would be better for the devs if MS just went out to hunt for exclusive publishing deals for specific titles that don't sell much in Japan but would sell in the west. No idea what that would be though.

Unless they're a PC focused Japanese dev? No idea how many, if any, Japanese devs fit that description, though.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Direct quote from a Japanese developer (Yoshida from SE)

"When the Xbox One launched in Japan there were no TV commercials or advertisements, so I thought they were just giving us a pass this time," Yoshida said of the brand. Under the leadership of Phil Spencer, Xbox's attitude towards Japanese games has changed dramatically, with the upcoming arrival of not only Final Fantasy 14, but also Phantasy Star Online 2. "Phil Spencer had made such an effort to make this possible, and now it's cool to see it becoming a reality."

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
While it is great to finally be getter Yakuza, FF, KH etc, would like to see MS push Game Pass in Japan and get those more obscure titles on there and test the waters.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
While it is great to finally be getter Yakuza, FF, KH etc, would like to see MS push Game Pass in Japan and get those more obscure titles on there and test the waters.
Absolutely, get all those niche japanese titles on board and maybe I'll think about extending my subscription.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, imagine next gen Xbox getting Japanese games day-and-date with their PS counterparts BUT VIA GAMEPASS. That's the world I want to live in. Phil is laying the groundwork, and I could totally understand why any Japanese studio skipped out on Xbox One, but hopefully next gen will be a new start for Xbox and Japanese developer/publisher relations.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Might as well update the thread with Phil's follow up tweet:

Pretty happy to see the Japan connection strengthened. I also posted this in the other Xbox Studios thread but I feel like it fits more here, what do you guys think about maybe Hajime Tabata & Hideo Baba as potential talent poaches for an Xbox studio in Japan? Tabata started a new studio called JP Games, Inc. that could benefit from being acquired. Hideo Baba's quitting from SE and Studio Istolia being disbanded was disappointing but I think recruiting him could work as well, the Project Prelude Rune trailer looked pretty cool and Xbox could use that guy's talent to make RPG's for them.

Would be nice to have that magic that Lost Odyssey 2 and Blue Dragon had as good Microsoft produced JRPG's, would even be neat if they got a team to work on the Blue Dragon IP again as well.