• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 4, 2018
Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Thanks Gamers For The Support on PC; "More Work to Do"
Microsoft's Xbox division head Phil Spencer has taken to Twitter to talk about the recent reception of PC games by Xbox Game Studios.
twinfinite.net

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Thanks Gamers For The Support on PC; "More Work to Do"

Microsoft's Xbox division head Phil Spencer has taken to Twitter to talk about the recent reception of PC games by Xbox Game Studios.

I wanted to thank the community for the support on PC. We made statements like this a few times over the years and the skeptical responses were earned. More work to do but the support we are seeing through @XboxGamePassPC and @Steam team right now is really great, thanks.

tesj.png

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Its crazy what can happen if you just listen to potential consumers, and don't do dumb shit

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It really is telling that I haven't seen that MS PC gaming "list" posted for a couple years now.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Kudos were it's due. I didn't trust phils PR before but they have really delivered recently

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Keep the crossplay coming Phil. It makes it easy to play with my friends if they prefer to play on a different platform. Game Pass is incredible.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope they plan to bring the Game Pass/Windows Store versions of their games up to feature parity with the Steam releases.

It sucks that I can't, say, download Halo 3 without also having to install the whole bloody MCC. I don't have that kind of spare SSD space.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Keep the improvements coming. The next step is making it super easy to add GP games to Steam as a non-steam game. I'm glad GP and Steam can coexist without many issues.

I cosign the forza requests. Bring Viva Pinata back from the dead as well.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
they still need to improve the windows store itself when it comes to downloading big games, sometimes it seems to buckle (and yeah I download through the gamepass app but that doesn't matter considering it's still using the windows store itself).

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Damn MS is on fire these past couple of days. Within a week they changed the narrative from "xbox doomed since halo looks like n64" to "Good guy Craigxbox"

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think they really need to step up the xbox app for pc.
It doesnt let me unistall my games ( they appear unistalled in the app, but they are still occupaying space on the ssd)

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
steam must be making them A LOT of money.

Some love to say "Minecraft is Minecraft", but Sea of Thieves selling 1m+ copies over a month-and--a-half despite being the poster child of both Game Pass and Play Anywhere all but confirms that, despite how large you presume your pre-existing audience to be, maybe, just maybe, there's net-positive business sense to putting your games where users are in addition to where you want them to be. After all, we do live in a world where EA -- the OG -- has realised that, and to great success.

Now that MS and Valve have ostensibly sorted out the issue of in-game paid mods, I'd put money on Minecraft being on Steam within the next 6-12 months.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some love to say "Minecraft is Minecraft", but Sea of Thieves selling 1m+ copies over a month-and--a-half despite being the poster child of both Game Pass and Play Anywhere all but confirms that, despite how large you presume your pre-existing audience to be, maybe, just maybe, there's net-positive business sense to putting your games where users are in addition to where you want them to be.

Now that MS and Valve have ostensibly sorted out the issue of in-game paid mods, I'd put money on Minecraft being on Steam within the next 6-12 months.
i was just thinking about this yesterday after the news about grounded. i totally think minecraft will sooner or later come to steam (and be ridiculously huge there).

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Probably gonna have to wait for the next Forza Horizon for it to be on Steam. Their license deals for these games probably only last so long. Don't want to put 4 on Steam to only take it down in a year or so.
Going by previous Forza Delistings, FH4 shouldn't get delisted until 2023. But I get it that it's probably not worth the effort at this point, the wait for the next one is just so long :(

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
they still need to improve the windows store itself when it comes to downloading big games, sometimes it seems to buckle (and yeah I download through the gamepass app but that doesn't matter considering it's still using the windows store itself).
Gonna be interesting how Flight Sim is gonna do download wise. As with the alpha and beta you only download 12 mb on the store and the rest with a ingame download.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
You're welcome Phil, now please bring the rest of the Gears games and Halo Wars 2 to Steam so I can buy them.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
MS games have been hugely popular on Steam. I honestly didn't expect it to be as big as they are. Kudos to Phil making the games accessible.

Edit: why isn't Forza on Steam? Has to be license issues with car brands and such, right?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Gonna be interesting how Flight Sim is gonna do download wise. Is an the alpha and beta you only download 12 mb on the store and the rest with a ingame download.

The beta is ~900MB and you're then asked to download almost 80GB upon launch (I verified this myself a couple of days ago), but, yeah, this does feel like Microsoft addressing its promise of "the power of the cloud" at the halfway point and actually delivering on those compromises. As DF notes in the recent tech preview video, it's decidedly unrealistic to store the detailed world data locally.

Last edited:

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017

Hopefully this is what he means by things to improve. It seems to me that Xbox needs to build their own backend infrastructure just for games since the Windows Store was never designed to handle massive game downloads. If they sort it out, I think a lot more PC players will subscribe to Gamepass.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

100%! It's telling that people would rather buy it on Steam then use Game pass via the store. It needs to be addressed ASAP.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I think they really need to step up the xbox app for pc.
It doesnt let me unistall my games ( they appear unistalled in the app, but they are still occupaying space on the ssd)

Have you tried clearing Delivery Optimization files using Disk Cleanup, or disabling Delivery Optimization entirely? That feature is meant to cache app files for a period of time, and use that to speed up reinstalls, or installs of the same app on peers on your network, etc. That cache should get cleared automatically after a period of time or when space is needed (unless a bug of some kind is preventing that), but that whole model isn't a great fit with users that are micromanaging their storage the way people do with very large game installs and want to see that space freed up immediately.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be shocked if Halo 5 didn't get a port at some point. All the rest are on there so it just makes sense. I'd imagine the only reason it never happened already was prioritising the fixes for MCC and the MCC port + getting Halo Infinite ready to ship.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
I'd be shocked if Halo 5 didn't get a port at some point. All the rest are on there so it just makes sense. I'd imagine the only reason it never happened already was prioritising the fixes for MCC and the MCC port + getting Halo Infinite ready to ship.

It'd be neat if they incorporated Halo 5 into the MCC so all the old Halos are contained within one launcher with Infinite being the launcher for new Halo content.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Neat bring Halo 5 and Xbox 1 originals to PC. I want Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2 PC so bad!!

I need the Xbox app itself to be better as well. Install n launch from it, more stuff working immediately, a simple login n go and not this weird shit where it makes me login multiple times because it doesn't connect the first couple times.

Maybe bring back Mech Warrior

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Great stuff. I really appreciate the work they've put into their PC games. Age of Empires, Sea of Thieves and now Grounded have been a joy to play. Game Pass for PC is a revelation for me. I've never tried so many different genres.

Meanwhile, their storefront is still shit. It's been 5 years and at this point I lost the hope that it will ever be completely decent. They should just start from the ground up with that.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I'm waiting on them to merge purchases from the awful Microsoft Store I have to the Game Pass app so I never have to deal with that shitty store again and then a number of major improvements needed on the Game Pass app. Phil made a pledge to turn around the Microsoft Store experience and I haven't seen much change from it.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
That would mean no third-party games.

?

EDIT: You mean a sub?
Yeah. Everyone is saying Sony should do it, but if Im playing on PC, Id rather use GamePass than buying Steam games.

Im just surprised no one is challenging MS on this front. I get Sony has exclusives and a closed PlayStation ecosystem, and that they sell a ton of units which Im sure is more profitable, but what's stopping Steam? Im guessing the 30% they make is just much more profitable?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Everyone is saying Sony should do it, but if Im playing on PC, Id rather use GamePass than buying Steam games.

Im just surprised no one is challenging MS on this front. I get Sony has exclusives and a closed PlayStation ecosystem, and that they sell a ton of units which Im sure is more profitable, but what's stopping Steam? Im guessing the 30% they make is just much more profitable?
Well EA are doing the same with Origin Access Premier and Basic (and to a much lesser extent, Ubisoft since they don't have any third party games).

Valve might just be content with what they have.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

They would have to pay for licensing for each game.