• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Phil Spencer talking about delaying a launch title Halo on a talk show hosted by the writer of Rogue One via Animal Crossing is definitely the 2020 we wouldn't have expected a few years ago and yet here it is and it's somehow completely normal now.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I had Phil as a punk rock guy, but that's great haha

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I really wish I cared about GamePass to even consider Xbox. For how I play it's just absurd to market a console around a service. Heh.

I mean, it's only absurd because it's new and hasn't really been done before. Personally, I find it fascinating that someone can buy an Xbox console and then instantly subscribe to a service that gives you pretty much every Xbox first party exclusive in the last 20 years (still missing Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon damn it, but I digress) plus a pretty wide assortment of popular games from the last few years (Witcher 3, FF15, RDR2, Minecraft, Kingdom Hearts 3 etc) to the point where it's almost overwhelming.

However you play games personally, it's still an incredible achievement

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
It's becoming ncreasinly obvious Phil agreed to this show to talk with Lisa Loeb and be there for a live performance.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Phil into Fugazi

This concert is pretty cute.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I really like Phil. I hated Microsoft for the longest time as a PC gamer, and still kinda hold a grudge against them, but he's real highlight of their recent years.

Oh, and Phil did a podcast with Reggie a couple months back -- he talked about his love for punk rock there too.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Yep. It was a great interview. Gary as always on point with how he approaches his guests and Phil needs to be commended for the positive influence he is for the industry.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Really interesting to see him complimenting Nintendo so firmly, saying their first party teams are ready unmatched is a pretty bold statement for someone in his position. But I feel like between this and his podcast with Reggie a few months back, Phil really is just a guy that loves games and respects them as an art form, even if he also has to be big corporate Phil during the day.

Oct 27, 2017
I usually play every AAA I want D1 and between single player releases I play GaaS like Destiny or FFXIV.
GamePass releasing AAA on it after months/years for obvious reasons it's simply not for me.
I get that, but surely you can see the benefits of Game Pass for those of us who can't/don't do what you do? You said it's absurd to market a console around a service, but the service in question really is a game-changer for most people. Just the fact that their first-party titles are added at launch is huge, but adding third-party titles, especially AAA titles (albeit later, for obvious reasons) is just a plus for people who wait for sales. Not to mention the games you may traditionally never try. It's a fantastic service.

Oct 27, 2017
100% agree

I think I read that GB was working on something. Hope it comes to fruition.
I remember Jeff saying something a couple of weeks back that implied he'd be talking with Phil at some point.

My guess would be after the Series S announces. Jeff likes to ask Phil about strategy and it would be very difficult to do that when there are big pieces Phil can't talk about openly.

I look forward to watching Gary's interview soon. I listened to Gary being interviewed by Jeff Green recently and that was an excellent podcast.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I get that, but surely you can see the benefits of Game Pass for those of us who can't/don't do what you do? You said it's absurd to market a console around a service, but the service in question really is a game-changer for most people. Just the fact that their first-party titles are added at launch is huge, but adding third-party titles, especially AAA titles (albeit later, for obvious reasons) is just a plus for people who wait for sales. Not to mention the games you may traditionally never try. It's a fantastic service.
Oh absolutely, it why I said for me!
It seems that Game Pass is invaluable for anyone but there's also people like who who just wouldn't benefit from the service and are not interested.

Oct 27, 2017
How can you say this when only a small percentage of Xbox users are subbed to the service?
I don't know, most people are dummies?

Seriously, though, I'm sure the attachment rate will grow once next-gen begins and their first-party studios start releasing more games. Keep in mind that the service is still very new.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Really interesting to see him complimenting Nintendo so firmly, saying their first party teams are ready unmatched is a pretty bold statement for someone in his position. But I feel like between this and his podcast with Reggie a few months back, Phil really is just a guy that loves games and respects them as an art form, even if he also has to be big corporate Phil during the day.
Nintendo isn't really a direct competitor in the way PlayStation is. People, I feel like, either get an Xbox or PlayStation and then they get a Switch as their second console.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to watch this elsewhere? Cant stand twitch (cant find the full interview on there either).

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I have Spencer "friended" on Xbox (because of the way their asynchronous friend list works) so I can see when he's online and what he's playing. I originally added him to see if I could get some scoops on unreleased stuff he had, haha. That guy plays a LOT of videogames - especially late at night. And it's almost always either Destiny 2, or random indie games.

I'd never pretend that "Corporate Phil" just wants to give the industry a big hug, and doesn't have his company's business interests in mind first and foremost, but it's also pretty obvious that the guy genuinely likes playing games. He's not an Andrew House, where I'm pretty sure he's just an Executron robot that docks in his charging cradle between meetings.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
It says: "Tonight's Guests: Justin Roiland, Susan Orlean, The Elwins"
Huh, this is what I see:

6J5mutt.png