• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
unknown.png

In reply to Tim Sweeney trying to hard-sell Phil on dropping F2P Gold paywall to align with the 1984 "fireworks" show lmao
image0.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 44122

interesting quote: "F2P outside of Gold (we will get there and I want to partner with you)"

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...what else is he gonna say ? We knows that MS would love to have xCloud/GP on every device.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Tim was trying really hard to have Xbox fully in Epic's corner and in lockstep when they did everything on August 13th.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I mean...ya.

I don't think it's been a giant secret that MS wants xCloud on any device that is capable of running it. Smart TVs, streaming sticks, playstation, nintendo, and probably even smart fridges

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, then of course MS would support Epic on this. Precedent of Epic winning would mean MS has easier to put XCloud / Game Pass on other platforms without having to pay the platform holders, right?

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
This was kind of a given. But I'm sure there are tons of roadblocks before this will ever happen

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It's inevitable IMO. Assuming Xcloud takes off, MS is gonna want to position it as a competitor to Netflix, Disney+, etc. and put game pass everywhere.

Even if it takes 5-10 years, future of xbox is Game Pass, not consoles.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Trying to imagine what line of reasoning a court could use to force Nintendo to allow xcloud on Switch, without them making any percentage or having any input on the games made available.

Since this is fairly close to what Epic want from Apple.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would they ever give up? Ofc MS wants this.

It doesn't mean Sony or Nintendo are even slightly more motivated than before.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...ya.

I don't think it's been a giant secret that MS wants xCloud on any device that is capable of running it. Smart TVs, streaming sticks, playstation, nintendo, and probably even smart fridges

Exactly, they will put Game Pass/xCloud anywhere they are able to. Not a surprise at all.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Port the games instead. I'd prefer to play the games natively than through streaming.

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think maybe Phil would have done aligned with Fortnite had Halo Infinite not been going F2P. Obviously the delay ruined that.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...ya.

You only need to listen to Satya and when he said that Microsoft's philosophy is to go to where the customer is, rather than getting the customer to come to you.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
xCloud on other consoles would be a paradigm shift in the industry. I hope it happens... I wish for one day to play Halo with all my different platform buddies :D

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
If they were planning f2p w/o gold then how on earth did they think doubling gold price in January was a good idea ?
Maybe they hoped people would switch to game pass super quickly and then they would kill gold not long after.

Whatever it was it was one of the more baffling decisions MS has made, but glad they saw the light quickly.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doing what is realistic and already been happening is port begging ?!...but hoping for a whole separate software ecosystem to come to the system is realistic when not even Netflix or Disney+ are on Switch ? lol
Please list the games where this has already been happening. It's hardly a trend or normality. So yeah, asking for games to be ported is literally port begging.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that will happen it is easier just build the games for Xbox and PC and have them on cloud for other devices. If someone asks them for a native experience they would probably just tell you to buy an Xbox or PC.
There's not really much in the way of benefit of running xcloud on a PlayStation than just running it on the smart TV that the vast majority of PlayStations will be connected to. If xcloud was a perfect substitute for playing games on a local console, there wouldn't be an Xbox Series S/X. I think they'd want to do both.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Why would they ever give up? Ofc MS wants this.

It doesn't mean Sony or Nintendo are even slightly more motivated than before.

Agreed, but I've seen the argument now and then that MS wouldn't be bothered with wanting to put services on other consoles, because generic device support would reach far bigger numbers anyway. Not a common argument, but this email should bury the notion. Of course MS would love to put their services on other consoles - the audience on dedicated gaming consoles would, in the short/mid term at least, be far more primed to sign up to services like Xbox's than generic device audiences.