• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Correct decision?

• Yes, waste of time and resources

Votes: 1,684 56.8%
  • No, it's a growing market and should see support

Votes: 1,283 43.2%

• Total voters

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

"I have some issues with VR — it's isolating and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience. We're responding to what our customers are asking for and…nobody's asking for VR," Spencer said. "The vast majority of our customers know if they want a VR experience, there's places to go get those. We see the volumes of those on PC and other places."

Spencer admitted that some of the decision was based on cold hard cash, as "nobody's selling millions and millions" of VR units.

"I think we might get there [eventually]," Spencer concluded. "But yeah, that's not where our focus is."
I'm okay with that actually?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see it being a major factor for games consoles, at least not until the tech gets cheap enough that they can bundle a headset on day one.

Nov 8, 2017
It would be nice if they did at least add support for other headsets, even if they had no interest in developing their own hardware or games for it.

Get SteamVR in there or something lol.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm a little disapointed after it seemed like an Oculus partnership was a done deal (would've loved if I could just plug a Quest into a console and have it work) - but I'd prefer if Microsoft didn't bother if they didn't see demand for it. Plus I don't know if I really want a second headset to deal with - with Sony continuing to invest in PSVR.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
If i really wanted VR id grab one on my PC, PSVR just seems like a cheaper version to me even though it may be good for what its trying to do with the limited power of a PS4

Only a few games that really interest me on VR anyways so id prolly never really buy one :p

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
It just seems too niche to be a major focus. It'd be a nice option especially with the more powerful, next-gen console, but as an Xbox gamer, I have to say that he's right in that I'm not asking for it. It'd be cool if, instead of requiring a proprietary headset like the PSVR, Scarlett were compatible with existing headsets. But again, I don't think they need to focus on something that a very small percentage of people will use.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't say i am shock. The VR consumers have bunch of alternatives easily available elsewhere.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the one thing where Microsoft seems to be missing the ball. A lot more customers will start to ask for it, and this could really be an area where Sony has an advantage if they go all-in with PSVR2.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The other issue is VR does no mesh well with their current biz strategy of making the most content possible available with the widest reach possible. VR's reach is inherently self limiting.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think this is a totally suitable position for Xbox right now. They can get in the VR game when they're ready.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that they aren't at least working on a compatibility deal with Oculus or Valve. They don't have to start developing VR games with 1st party studios, but you should at least be able to plug a headset in to the console and play 3rd party VR titles.

The biggest downside of PSVR is that the headset doesn't even work with PC VR games. If Microsoft could introduce a headset that works on Xbox and PC, they would have a pretty massive advantage.

All that said, I don't think this will hurt them that much. The technology isn't really there for wide mainstream acceptance.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
At least he's not promoting the new console on VR and then never mentioning it again until after launch. Smarter move this time around.

PSVR's great, so it would've been cool to see Xbox be able to get in on the amazing kinds of experiences it enables.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine. They never really needed to put out a handheld either. Just focus on your strengths.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're not going to make the Kinect mistake again.

They could either partner with an existing hardware manufacturer, or implement SteamVR into Scarlet.

Nah they'll be fine. VR isn't some big thing. They have plenty of time.

The lack of VR modes in Ace Combat and RE7 probably lost them some sales on XB1, though. It's small now, but it's a frontier of gaming that is going to be making the headlines in the next six months. We'll see!

Squarealex

Nov 11, 2017
because our customers aren't asking for it.

I9CUb9P.jpg

lLSTrgI.jpg

big opportunity

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
While I do understand this point of view, I think PSVR2 is potentially the most exciting thing about PS5. It'd also be nice to see Microsoft enter the space because it would mean greater incentive for devs, which is a good thing for the medium.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, don't make it a focus but also don't rule it out.

Think about just supporting or allowing third party devices to work with the next Xbox. If people can hook up their existing PC headsets, they'll be set.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I agree for MS they dont need to worry about it. They need to by focused on their next console launch.

Meanwhile, other platforms that have VR arent too disappointed. Yeah it could be more popular, but price can help fix that.

I have some issues with VR — it's isolating and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience

So....does that mean no single player games from MS, Phil.....?

He says nobody is selling millions of headsets, hasn't Sony sold like 5 million ?

Oh, see those are different. He wasnt talking those millions. He's talking those other millions.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I was thinking about last night how around launch it was said that the Xbox One was supposed to get VR support.

I hope Scarlett will still allow for it to be possible but I definitely don't think it needs to be a focus right now.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine. I'll get my vr fix from Sony when needed. I don't need a headset for each next gen console.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Microsoft pretty much make it a rule to never chase after an unproven market. I think in their mind, VR would have taken off by now if it would have.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I would rather consoles focus on the hardware and games and maybe reach out to HTC or Oculus or everyone and just allow VR support for those. PSVR was less than a mediocre piece of VR hardware.

Partner with already established companies.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
It makes sense. But they may add VR support later. Not exactly difficult I just think if they make their own headset later on they will be lagging behind Sony in all their advancements in VR software development. If Sony gets Half Life: Alyx ported to ps5 it will be a huge differentiator between them.

Anyway I love VR and hope they aren't dumb and don't stay too far away from it when it gets more and more mainstream.

^though I would prefer if they just supported SteamVR and didn't bother with their own headset. Just support the PC ones.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That's fine. It's not like it won't be created with the ability for them to add VR down the line should the market move aggressively in that direction.

All it needs is a USB 3 and an hdmi output on the back and they can do whatever they want mid-gen.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine to not support it, of course, but I don't like to think of games as solely being communal experiences. I largely play single-player stuff and don't really have to talk about it with others or anything to get the most out of it.

Can't they just make it compatible with WMR headsets? I mean, it's their standard anyway.

This, too. "It's not our focus" is much different from "We're not supporting it at all," and right now it's the latter.