• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Correct decision?

• Yes, waste of time and resources

Votes: 1,684 56.8%
  • No, it's a growing market and should see support

Votes: 1,283 43.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
On top of all their other achievements this gen, Sony successfully launched and supported a high-end VR headset.

If Phil can't be bothered to even try to do likewise, that's his choice, but it's another pretty big bullet point in PS5's favour.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
New consoles should be more than a power upgrade, They should be about innovation.

So not only did they remove the 1 decent thing in the Snap feature from the X1, But now Phil is saying VR isnt a focus.

Gonna need more than gamepass mate for me to even consider an Xbox next gen. Wheras VR will go from strength to strength with gen2 iterations.

Imagine not experiencing Resident Evil 7 in VR. And then Half Life Alyx in VR.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
No. You did not do your research. Anyone that says "Fuck VR" is clearly uneducated on the subject.

Please do tell what research you've done, because I can tell it's not enough.

The isolation aspect can be mitigated by playing asymmetrical games/party games/casting. You didn't research into these. In the near future, you'll be able to reconstruct the surrounding environment as well, and in the meantime toggable passthrough cameras are a thing, as are speakers built into the sides to let real world sound in.

Again, you did not do your research because a bunch of headsets do not block your hearing.

Do your research.
Hold the god damn phone one second.

So you're saying because I don't agree with your opinion on VR that suddenly I didn't do my research on the tech and I'm uninformed? Its precisely by doing research that I came to my own conclusion. WTF are you even saying right now?

I can't even respect your opinion at this point. I see why you're a fan of VR. Your view on opposing opinions reflect the individual in spades. Great job, champ!

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Hold the god damn phone one second.

So you're saying because I don't agree with your opinion on VR that suddenly I didn't do my research on the tech and I'm uninformed? Its precisely by doing research that I came to my own conclusion. WTF are you even saying right now?

I can't even respect your opinion at this point. I see why you're a fan of VR. Your view on opposing opinions reflect the individual in spades. Great job, champ!
I just proved you didn't properly do your research because you already said that VR always has to isolate you (which is not true) and that VR always has to cover your hearing (which is not true), and many pages ago, you went as far as to say "Fuck VR"

If you actually did your research, you'd first of all know about the two points I mentioned, and secondly would see where the value lies in VR enough to not just say "Fuck VR" even if it's not necessarily an interest for you at the moment.

I don't exactly go around saying "Fuck Xbox" just because Xbox One isn't my console of choice. It's just shallow and weak.

So please get off your high horse, don't consider yourself knowledgeable on the subject, and do some research.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Phil's point is that it's a very small market so far.

I still think he's making a mistake, though. Even if it's a niche market, it's best to use all avenues to make your new console more appealing when you're coming from last place.
LoL @ last place. Are we forgetting that Nintendo started this gen with the disastrous Wii U and had to consolidate two of their best markets (handheld, console) into one (Switch) in order to rebound?

MS is more than just a console and their Windows OS on PC gets plenty of use for VR and they're paying attention to the market.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New consoles should be more than a power upgrade, They should be about innovation.

So not only did they remove the 1 decent thing in the Snap feature from the X1, But now Phil is saying VR isnt a focus.

Gonna need more than gamepass mate for me to even consider an Xbox next gen. Wheras VR will go from strength to strength with gen2 iterations.

Maybe? But I feel like a takeaway from this gen was really to focus on the core of your business. PS4 got off to a commanding lead this gen and it had almost nothing to do with innovation. Really the thing it did so well was just that it didn't shit the bed by focusing on features nobody asked for. It was the most powerful system at a good price and that was all it took to dominate this gen. Like, they aren't winning now because of PSVR.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
LoL @ last place. Are we forgetting that Nintendo started this gen with the disastrous Wii U and had to consolidate two of their best markets (handheld, console) into one (Switch) in order to rebound?

MS is more than just a console and their Windows OS on PC gets plenty of use for VR and they're paying attention to the market.

They are barely making any PC VR software, their partner headsets are sold at deep discounts and are used as a cheap alternative to the Oculus or Vive status quo.

they aren't making any significant revenue off PC VR.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
While doing both is possible as Sony has demonstrated, the flat screen line up will always be better when all the devs are making flat screen games.

Likewise, they could improve their VR lineup by throwing all of their developers onto VR games.

Isn't it best to allow game creators to make the types of games they want, rather than forcing them to conform by using (or avoid using) a particular piece of technology?

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
VR is not good enough today, but I do think it has its place somewhere in the future. I'm glad some companies invest in VR today for a better experience tomorrow.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Somehow Sony was able to focus on VR while still putting together a console that would go on to sell well over 100-million units.

Microsoft chose not to focus on VR and still wasn't able to sell close to half as much.

Sony has shown it's possible to walk and chew gum at the same time. It appears it's asking a lot of Xbox to do the same.

Feb 10, 2018
Likewise, they could improve their VR lineup by throwing all of their developers onto VR games.

Isn't it best to allow game creators to make the types of games they want, rather than forcing them to conform by using (or avoid using) a particular piece of technology?

I don't think there's a "best" approach, there's pros and cons in both approaches.
And not having a VR is not forcing a dev to create flat screen games.
The devs are limited to there canvas and they will always be limited to there canvas even with VR available them.
Devs being "forced" is just some false spin. Going by that logic you could say devs are forced to make games on 5gb or ram, 8 jaguars and 1.84 GCN gpu.

Feb 10, 2018
Somehow Sony was able to focus on VR while still putting together a console that would go on to sell well over 100-million units.

Microsoft chose not to focus on VR and still wasn't able to sell close to half as much.

Sony has shown it's possible to walk and chew gum at the same time. It appears it's asking a lot of Xbox to do the same.

No they just rather focus on where like 99% of console gamers play 😉

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is a highly disingenuous, myopic take. VR has barely made a mark, whereas what MS have focused on is Gamepass, which has been successful for them, they're both trying different things to add value to thier consoles, MS have no problem varying thier offering if they feel it's what their audience wants. Looking ahead, MS are sitting good moving into next gen because of it.

There's also Elite pad, Accessibility controller, xCloud, BC etc, MS are dabbling in multiple areas to enhance thier game offering.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Florida

You have been promoted to the rank of General in the great console war. Ready your bayonet and steel your resolve. Sony will be counting on you in the epic battles to come.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And how's that working out for them?

I honestly find these takes kind of bizarre. The story of this gen isn't that Sony innovated and MS didn't. Like at the start of this gen the PS was the most straightforward of the three machines. And it took off because it served the primary function of playing video games better than the more expensive Xbox that went in on multimedia gimmicks nobody cared about and the Kinect functionality people had apparently grown bored with despite its earlier 360 success.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
This is a highly disingenuous, myopic take. VR has barely made a mark, whereas what MS have focused on is Gamepass, which has been successful for them, they're both trying different things to add value to thier consoles, MS have no problem varying thier offering if they feel it's what their audience wants. Looking ahead, MS are sitting good moving into next gen because of it.

Game Pass is hardly what I'd say Microsoft focused on this gen, seeing that it didn't come about until two and a half years ago and the system has been out since 2013. PlayStation Now came out literally two months after the PS4 launched, and involved streaming technology. I'd say Sony had a lot more on their table with PSNow in terms of focus if you're going to use GP as an example.

Probably better then it would be if they did VR to.

Now that I can't argue with.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

As if VR is all there is. What a terrible argument. Microsoft chose to focus on BC, Game Pass, PC, first party, and XCloud.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
It should be clear to anyone that this is the correct business move for Microsoft.

I'd argue that his reasoning is just an excuse though. If they were the market leader they'd probably be working on VR, but they aren't. They need to focus on catching up first.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It should be clear to anyone that this is the correct business move for Microsoft.

I'd argue that his reasoning is just an excuse though. If they were the market leader they'd probably be working on VR, but they aren't. They need to focus on catching up first.
MS is not just consoles. Please stop with the console warring.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019

Luckily you can still game on PS5 and PC and still get VR. Why are you so upset that Sony and MS aren't going to have fucking identical boxes?

And lol @ "imagine not experiencing VR". It's much better to me to play RE7 on a nice big OLED screen with HDR on than some cheap LCDs strapped to my head. Not everyone gives a shit about innovation, most just want to play good games.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

Lmao, that's the weirdest 'Apples vs Oranges' comparison I've seen in a while.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

As it stands, you won't experience Half Life Alyx in VR without buying a gaming PC and getting a PC VR headset.

neither can you experience Resident Evil 7 in VR without PSVR.

So...your ideal gamer has to have BOTH a PS4 and a powerful gaming PC? And then purchase TWO VR headsets.
Wow.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm actually fine with them taking this approach until the technology gets to the point where it can be for more than hardcore fans (wireless, better screens, cheaper, etc) and then enter the market.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pleasantly surprised by my Oculus Quest - and that surprise was compounded when they announced I could effectively use it as a Rift with a gaming PC. That and other third party options could make a reasonable case for functioning as a hardware accessory for folks who want those experiences. Obviously Oculus is built around its own ecosystem and unlikely to volunteer itself as an accessory, but a Scarlett is more than capable of working in the same fashion as that pairing.

I'm perfectly content to use Quest as a standalone device however. The experiences I enjoy aren't necessarily about fidelity - and secretly my favorite app is the Amazon Prime "theater" - at first I was like, "this is dumb, why would I want to pretend to be in a theater with screen real estate sacrificed?" Then the lights went down and suddenly I was all, "whoa."

Coming out of a whole movie is exactly like emerging from a theater in daylight and being surprised it's still sunny outside.

One day I'd like to see an expanded version of our Halo VR touring experience, maybe with sniping or sandbox/dual wielding exploitation instead of physical movement as the key gameplay drivers. The plasma pistol was picked so that it would feel more welcoming to families for that type of social experience, but it would work wonderfully for dual pistols of any kind, and two armed rifles etc little like that Gun Range simulator on Quest and similar titles.

We're NOT doing anything currently but interesting to think about.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
As it stands, you won't experience Half Life Alyx in VR without buying a gaming PC and getting a PC VR headset.

neither can you experience Resident Evil 7 in VR without PSVR.

So...your ideal gamer has to have BOTH a PS4 and a powerful gaming PC? And then purchase TWO VR headsets.
Wow.

Valve has confirmed that a PSVR edition of Alyx isn't in active development right now, but didn't rule out anything. That's what we know. What we can assume on the other hand is Alyx on PSVR(2) wouldn't exactly hurt sales of that device, now would it? And then let's see which customers want which accessoire.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pleasantly surprised by my Oculus Quest - and that surprise was compounded when they announced I could effectively use it as a Rift with a gaming PC. That and other third party options could make a reasonable case for functioning as a hardware accessory for folks who want those experiences. Obviously Oculus is built around its own ecosystem and unlikely to volunteer itself as an accessory, but a Scarlett is more than capable of working in the same fashion as that pairing.

I'm perfectly content to use Quest as a standalone device however. The experiences I enjoy aren't necessarily about fidelity - and secretly my favorite app is the Amazon Prime "theater" - at first I was like, "this is dumb, why would I want to pretend to be in a theater with screen real estate sacrificed?" Then the lights went down and suddenly I was all, "whoa."

Coming out of a whole movie is exactly like emerging from a theater in daylight and being surprised it's still sunny outside.

One day I'd like to see an expanded version of our Halo VR touring experience, maybe with sniping or sandbox/dual wielding exploitation instead of physical movement as the key gameplay drivers. The plasma pistol was picked so that it would feel more welcoming to families for that type of social experience, but it would work wonderfully for dual pistols of any kind, and two armed rifles etc little like that Gun Range simulator on Quest and similar titles.

We're NOT doing anything currently but interesting to think about.
Listen, do it!

But yeah the Quest is now my go to headset and the second they updated it with Link I've been using it sooooooooooooo much more often it's crazy. Also trust me man when you use it on a flight as a personal theater you will never want it to leave your side lol