• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
Idk how Phil thought Redfall would get scores double digit higher in their mock reviews. No one could've played this game and honestly thought it would be an 8 or higher. The game is terrible on so many levels. They need to get some new mock reviewers if they thought this was going to be an 8 or higher

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Paris is a great interviewer, and he's making sure to cover all the things he wants to.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Phil is dying for Xbox sins, whomever believe in him shall not starve but have great games hopefully (through Gamepass).

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
All things considered the response regarding Redfall was better than I was expected. And Redfall not being abandoned sounds idk promising?

But actions speak louder than words however, lets see where we are at a year or two from now for other Xbox games and Redfall itself.

Moobabe

Nov 7, 2017
Idk how Phil thought Redfall would get scores double digit higher in their mock reviews. No one could've played this game and honestly thought it would be an 8 or higher. The game is terrible on so many levels. They need to get some new mock reviewers if they thought this was going to be an 8 or higher

I mean, it's on a 62. 72 is double digits higher.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This is unreal. Even owning up to 2022 being less than. You have so many here pretending it wasn't in that one thread. Horse's mouth, folks.

OP
OP
The_Iceman2288
Jun 20, 2021
This is a great interview. Phil's not happy at all. And kudos to vicious696 for calling out the games that were announced years ago and then just seemingly vanished (like Avowed, Contraband and Perfect Dark).

Ongoing recap by IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Full rundown so far:

First question was an update about the CMA stuff --
We've gotten 9 approvals and working on 14 more, we've been working with CMA all year long and we plan to still appeal to make it happen

Second question: Why didn't they delay Redfall?
TLDR was that when it comes to delaying stuff there's multiple questions that need to get answered before them agreeing on delaying games

Third question: What do you mean that you're *disappointed* in Redfall? And what extend do you hope that you can make Redfall better down the road? --
On the review scores, we do mock reviews and Redfall got double digits from our mock reviews so the reviews it actually got are much lower. We never thought it'd review in the low 60s. Redfall is much lower than our internal metrics. Arkane is taking the internal feedback and committing to getting the 60fps out along with working on the game in general. I acknowledge and take responsibility for needing to launching the game cause it needs to be great since its 70 dollars. I understand people calling for my firing since I get way overpaid, we're committed though to working on Redfall. We want to support the team, the creative ambitions of the team and committed to the players

Fourth question: What is the balance of you showing something that you know is going to be years down the road and providing updates of that, what are the lessons learned from the last Showcase?

We have to be transparent of what we're showing so people committed to our platform know what they're getting and it has to get better. I'm not pointing at anybody but myself. Transparency in what we're building, what it's gonna look like and what our future is gonna be, and it drives me crazy when our communication is sometimes confusing or misleading regarding what our products are gonna be. That being said, and this is when it comes to the showcases, I'm very enthusiastic about it. We're announcing things people haven't seen, we're giving updates on things people have seen and what gets me excited is that things are finally lining up after some of the slowdowns from COVID. I can now see games are coming every quarter that surprising and will delight our customers. We still have to deliver on the quality. We're not trying to deliver one game to rule them all, so not every game will be for everyone. The diversity of what we build will hopefully be a strength and we have to deliver on the quality by showing gameplay and putting great games in the hands of our players.

Fifth comment/response: We're tired of hearing "we have to wait for next year for Xbox to succeed"
Phil comments on this year starting well with Hi-Fi Rush, Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition and Minecraft Legends doing well in Japan. He specifically states though that he's happy with the builds he's been seeing for Starfield, Avowed, Hellblade 2 but he gets it and understands people's frustrations. Until we're smiling from playing their games, he totally gets that people won't be excited or happy when it comes to Xbox games

Sixth Question: What is the formal process of when something like Redfall doesn't land? What is the "what went wrong" post mortem process?
When we acquire studios, there's games that are in development and then there's things that are early in development and I think we need to approve on engaging on games that are midway through production when they become a part of Xbox. And I think there's different expectations when teams become First Party and there's a different perception when these teams become First Parties. We didn't a good job early on when it comes to really helping them understand what it means to become apart of Xbox, use some of our internal resources and kind of help them. We kind of left them to work on that game, they're a talented team and we love that team, I still do, and I'd totally bet on them to make another great game. I think we can engage earlier with our different studios. It's different when a creative is committed already on a game but thinking of our process regarding assistance, we can do a better job. We've done a better job with Starfield since it was earlier on in production, so that made it easier for us to make sure we're shipping a quality experience. We've should've been there earlier. It's an Unreal game and we have a bunch of teams who have worked on Unreal, and we were a little late on getting them to help. We didn't do that, it's not an excuse. So when the 60fps issue came up, we had people diving in such as The Coalition, but that was a plan that had to be in last Fall. I take that as learning as painful as that is.

Seventh Question: Do you think you've put too much focus on the PC side and not given the console side of things as much love as it deserves?
We're still focused on making the console focus better. I will say, we have a different vision, Parris talked about it. We want Xbox to be something that people who buy our consoles can feel like members of a full ecosystem. We're fully committed to that. We're not in the business of "out-consoling Sony or Nintendo", there's not a win or solution for us. I know that will upset people but that's the truth. When you're 3rd place and your competition is as strong as they are, our vision is that anybody who's on our console is invested in our platform and feels like a member of a massive ecosystem. It's not true that if we go up and build great games, that you'll see console shares go up massively. We lost the biggest console generation there is to lose so when we build on Xbox, we want it to feel awesome. So if we focused on great games, that doesn't mean we'll win the console race. When people walk into a store, they're already in 1 out of the 3 ecosystems, the continuity from generation to generation is so strong that there is no world where something like Starfield is a 11/10 and it'll lead people selling their consoles. People want to play with their friends regardless of where they are. We'll stay focused on making our console experience awesome. I know people want us to be a better green version of the blue guys, we have to do our thing with how we build our games, GamePass and XCloud.

Eighth Question: Tell us something positive!
I love games ahead of us and playing games on Gamepass. Ravenlok's coming, Benedict Fox is here, one of the things I'm excited is about is the ROG Ally. People are getting another device to play their games on! The gaming space has never been more diverse than it is now and it's an honor to be apart of it

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I do wish Greg Miller was on the panel, he is a great interviewer. But not being part of the xcast I get it.
He'd probably have made an unfunny joke about how Xbox players deserve it for several minutes, like he did with the TLoU Part 1 PC port.
The actual hosts are doing a much better job imo…
Edit: Well Parris is.
I don't think that's what he's saying at all
It's a valid interpretation of what he's saying, it's not hard to infer that, come on. Now, it doesn't mean it is 100% true but it certainly is not "not what he's saying AT ALL".

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Glad to hear the interview is pretty blunt. Looking forward to watching it later.

He is very good at interviews. Wish was so good at managing a video game company though.

Didn't Xbox just have their two best quarters of revenue ever? He seems to be doing something right, even with stuff like this.

Moobabe

Nov 7, 2017
I'm at 3 crashes already after roughly 3 hours of otherwise shitty gameplay. Unlike Phil, I don't deem that an acceptable average. Zero crashes would be acceptable.

I obviously can't speak to individuals -- I'm just trying to explain his comment, as it seems lots of people are misunderstanding it (not you specifically).

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
He made a good fucking point about Sea of Thieves, Grounded, and Hi Fi being games no one expects from those companies but were well done and loved so maybe the "Arkane can't make open world loot games" narrative isn't honest.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Parris absolutely killing it with his questions. And to be fair to Phil he is being brutally honest about the state of Xbox and himself as well, even though he looks like a person that has been through the ringer with the CMA and Redfall etc.

vicious696

Gamertag Radio/Kinda Funny XCast
Verified
Dec 3, 2020
I have a feeling this is going to be a hard one to listen to. I know we're hyping this up maybe a bit too much, but I think vicious696 and the crew got into some deep shit on this one from his posts.

not at all, if anything we were happy to see that Xbox and Phil specifically still wanted to do this scheduled interview despite the past few weeks of bad news

oty

Feb 28, 2023
what a great interview. still can't believe there are fans out there who want to see Phil out of Xbox. the question about the console race and digital library was beyond what you would usually think a leader would be honest about, and he was spot on. it's crazy how there are consumers out there who have 0 idea how the console market works

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
He made a good fucking point about Sea of Thieves, Grounded, and Hi Fi being games no one expects from those companies but were well done and loved so maybe the "Arkane can't make open world loot games" narrative isn't honest.

why would it stop? Era still thinks Sea of Thieves is bad and not Banjo, which is waht Rare "should" do, and Grounded is "lol multiplayer survival game" and not what Obisdian should do.

it's like you don't know where you are.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Parris is one of best in the business at interviews and this just demonstrates that. Also, he is clearly very passionate about Xbox and cares about the platform.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I think if this game passed the smell test wrt their internal review metrics they need to take a real good look at them and rebuild those metrics cause those mock reviewers were not anywhere near the public or the press

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Trolling
3-E75-E333-513-D-42-E9-9-D16-B62761-E93653.jpg

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
That isn't what he said though lol

He's not saying the bugs are acceptable, he's saying the crash rate is in line with what they expect...

Striving towards the status quo is not a great goal to have. If that's their mindset, it's not surprising so many Game Pass games are mediocre at best.

Yoga Flame

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2022
He literally said Starfield was engaged with their tech team early. Also said he wished his team was there for Harvey and the team before they got involved.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Parris actually hit Phil with "we're tired of hearing wait till next year". Dude did not hold back. I don't think there's any satisfactory answer he could've give and Phil knew that, and that his words won't matter until the games are in our hands.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think so. There are plenty of reasons why those games weren't as scrutinized as Redfall.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
what a great interview. still can't believe there are fans out there who want to see Phil out of Xbox. the question about the console race and digital library was beyond what you would usually think a leader would be honest about, and he was spot on. it's crazy how there are consumers out there who have 0 idea how the console market works

That was an interesting moment, yeah. I think it might be the first time I've seen him - or indeed any platform exec - endorse that analysis that some analysts had put out in advance of this gen, about console marketshares possibly stabilizing.

In that there seemed to be an appeal to Xbox fans not to expect Xbox to suddenly out-Sony Sony in the console business, that the focus is on different paths. I don't know if that will be heard though, I think the fans - in terms of their perceptions of 'success' etc. - are still more strongly tied to the console business he might like in that way.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Every time Whitta starts talking the interview takes a huge nosedive. Parris is so, so, so much better at handling this interview.