• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't fit the whole quote in the thread title, but it was "We're committed to bringing Game Pass to all mobile phones out there, including Apple phones. We'll continue the conversations and I'm sure we'll be able to get to some resolution".

Video here (quote is at 1:19):

To me, that sounds like a pretty confident statement on the future of xCloud on iPhone.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. What's he gonna say? "No we're done with Apple."
He could say a lot of things. "We'd love to have Game Pass on all devices, but we have nothing to share at this time.". "Fortunately you can play Game Pass on a wide variety of Android devices, and our Windows platforms in the near future.". etc.. etc.. etc..

Instead, he said that he's sure they'll reach a resolution.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Apple's position on this makes no sense. It is no different than Netflix. Just make sure people cant sign up in app and there is no reason for Apple to block this.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
I hope that they can come to some kind of agreement. Having access to XCloud would pretty much lock me into Microsoft's ecosystem until the end of time. I'm just not going to switch to Android to make that happen.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
I mentioned this in another thread but if Nadella is willing to give 7.5B to Xbox for Zenimax, I imagine maybe he is willing to hold Office back from going native ARM when the ARM macbooks launch later this year? Office and Adobe are the apps Apple need for that transition to work

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
ShortBareGibbon-max-1mb.gif

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I could see them offering Apple a one time fee to make an exception, or a cut of subs (based on app store usage) to make it happen

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned this in another thread but if Nadella is willing to give 7.5B to Xbox for Zenimax, I imagine maybe he is willing to hold Office back from going native ARM when the ARM macbooks launch later this year? Office and Adobe are the apps Apple need for that transition to work
No way. Office is way more important to Microsoft than Xbox.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Apple's position on this makes no sense. It is no different than Netflix. Just make sure people cant sign up in app and there is no reason for Apple to block this.
apple's position makes sense, even if their reasoning doesn't. they clearly see game pass streaming as a competitor to apple arcade, even if they don't want to admit it outright. they don't want to have to compete with other services on their platform and they're doing what they can to choke out others, but at some point it just starts looking bad on them.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal

There's a cloud version of Office 365 though. That can always be an alternative unless you mean for them to support legacy Office products on ARM

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
apple's position makes sense, even if their reasoning doesn't. they clearly see game pass streaming as a competitor to apple arcade, even if they don't want to admit it outright. they don't want to have to compete with other services on their platform and they're doing what they can to choke out others, but at some point it just starts looking bad on them.
But again, they allow Netflix which is a competitor to Apple TV+.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I'm guessing they'll back a dump truck of money into Cupertino. Maybe agree on some cash percentage dependent on hours streamed on iOS

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
But again, they allow Netflix which is a competitor to Apple TV+.
netflix had the advantage of existing prior to TV+, game pass is coming onto the platform after arcade. their play is pretty transparent

that said, i'm sure with the pressure from all sides apple will eventually make a closed door deal to allow select services on in exchange for some other benefit

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't understand how this is fundamentally different than netflix or hulu or whatever. just because they came first?

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
Hopefully they work things out soon-ish. I'm willing to buy a series s for game pass if I have to, but really I'd prefer to just use my iPad that I already have.

May 25, 2019
London

You could just emulate the old version of Office then with their Roestta 2 layer. Microsoft needs to be on Apple devices more than Apple needs Microsoft to port their stuff

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
You could just emulate the old version of Office then with their Roestta 2 layer. Microsoft needs to be on Apple devices more than Apple needs Microsoft to port their stuff

This is not really true. I have a company issued Macbook and trust me, the only reason the company allows me to have a Macbook is because Office is on it. Otherwise, I have to use a Dell or whatever else.

The Office lockin in enterprises dictates everything from OS updates to hardware purchases.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
This is not really true. I have a company issued Macbook and trust me, the only reason the company allows me to have a Macbook is because Office is on it. Otherwise, I have to use a Dell or whatever else.

The Office lockin in enterprises dictates everything from OS updates to hardware purchases.

Also I agree that Rosetta 2 would still make these things work. It is just removing Apple's ability to market native Office support for ARM.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I found it amusing that he kept going back to that and kept avoiding the 30% cut aspect of the question.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No way. Office is way more important to Microsoft than Xbox.

Definitely, though these days they have subscriptions that Microsoft seem happy to offer (Office 365, GamePass)

It isn't different at all. Apple's stance here is ludicrous, to be frank.

I thought the sticking point was similar to when EA left Steam due to a disagreement (to put it lightly) on how the DLC/microtransaction cut went

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i don't understand how this is fundamentally different than netflix or hulu or whatever. just because they came first?

Apple loses control of the apps that MS puts on their store. Games are much more involved, technically, than a TV show or movie.

If Apple allows MS to put any game it wants on the iOS store through Game Pass, what's to stop the big App Store publishers from making the same type of application to bypass the game approval system?

This isn't even getting into how would Apple possibly control the DLC / MTX situation on these streaming services.

Note that I'm completely for xcloud getting on iOS and think it should happen but I can see why Apple hesitates as it could open all sorts of floodgates.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

Apple's stance is that games are interactive and they are concerned that interactive apps they had no approval process over will do bad things on their platform, such as show a iCloud password prompt rendered server-side that looks exactly like a native prompt, or bypass parental controls, etc.

Of course the more important reason that they don't talk about is that they can't easily lock down in game purchases for which they get a cut of the money.

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020

Apple can run them in an emulator. And if you know the history of Office you know they can never not release MAC versions.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apple will only let it happen if they were able to get a % of every game purchased. Which means its never going to happen.