• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
GP has surpassed two years of life, and if still going strong right into next gen. MS seems to be all in on this thing and Phil keeps reiterating that there's nothing to be concerned about.

Just enjoy your games.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
The title implies that Phil himself is concerned about it being sustainable, which is not true. nvm I have the reading comprehension of a rock

Anyway, I continue to dislike subscriptions. I will always purchase the individual games I want.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
This reads like he thinks it's a problem, and what he's saying is others are worried it will be but he personally doesn't see that as the service has been immensely successful for both MS and Developers.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This reads like he thinks it's a problem, and what he's saying is others are worried it will be but he personally doesn't see that as the service has been immensely successful for both MS and Developers.

I definitely could have worded it better but there's only so much to fit in a title lol

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My concern is that many games will shove in microtransactions to keep players engaged and earn more money.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
GP makes money and is very sustainable. Companies love subscriptions. All the concern trolling around GP is so transparent lol, just enjoy your games.

Oct 25, 2017
God bless you, I've played quite a few great games on Game Pass already. Not worried about their numbers at all. I hope it's sustainable for my own benefit, but yeah, more interested in enjoying it.

Currently playing Darksiders 3, and it'll probably end up being my new GOTY 2018. It's fantastic, definitely recommend it.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Inflammatory drive-by posting.
Too bad that PlayStation fanboy from last night got banned, I was hoping to see him here 😂

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
At these prices, no its not.

I feel like this with Ps plus in the PS3 days. Remember that on gaf?
PS Plus was different, because it immediately went to shit as soon as Sony forced it on everyone. Xbox can't do that with game pass, the entire point of the service is the games.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
For how many games are on the service, I can't even begin to fathom how it is doing well for both MS and devs. It's so cheap someone has to be losing a ton of money, whether it be MS or the devs. The payouts to the devs must be great for so many third-party games to straight up launch on it, or be added to it sometimes only a few months after release.

Unless for MS "doing very well" simply means they have a ton more active users since the service launched.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
My concern is that many games will shove in microtransactions to keep players engaged and earn more money.

Games aren't exclusive to Gamepass. They're also sold at retail, and most are multiplatform releases on PlayStation consoles too.

Doesn't make sense to think games will be designed around a fraction of their player base.

Oct 26, 2017
I love how the average user here spends more time searching for numbers and demanding for data instead of playing games, they are not even shareholders or data analyst but they need their god damn numbers for "reasons".

May 17, 2018
I mean...that doesn't really answer the question? Like, I get that *right now* everyone loves it, but, that doesn't mean it's permanently sustainable.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017

How about wait and see if that happens and then vote with your wallet?

At the moment, MS, developers, and gamers are all doing well with it and it hasn't become a microtransaction pit.

I mean...that doesn't really answer the question? Like, I get that *right now* everyone loves it, but, that doesn't mean it's permanently sustainable.

I'm sure they have financial analysts who have built models to determine how it all works out for MS. If Spencer isn't worried I don't see why you or anyone else here should be.

Oct 25, 2017
That only works for their own games, though. Since they're there from day one. Most other games enter Game Pass long past their significant sales windows.

If Darksiders 4 comes out full of microtransactions thinking about their Game Pass debut a year after release, they're not gonna find that much success.

I'd also be interested in knowing people's experiences with this, buying DLC for games they don't really own. Do people really do this? To me, it discourages me from buying any DLC at all, actually.

I was sure I'd get Darksiders 3 with the season pass once it was cheap enough, but then it came out on Game Pass, I had my 1 dollar subscription, and suddenly I don't give a shit anymore. I'm just gonna play the main game and have fun. I'm not spending any money on a game I paid $1.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Why do you need numbers?

Because the numbers would make the conversation more interesting to discuss.

It's alright boosting numbers when you sell your product for 1$ for 3 months. I have zero interest in staying subscribed for full price. Many will be the same.

Real numbers when it isn't on offer will be the pudding. Because right now it must be losing money considering how badly gears 5 sold since most plays it on game pass.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
I don't care as long as i get to play more games at a low price but i do think microsoft is eating a loss here not the developers

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Sigh...the fact that people are still using words like "unsustainable" and "subsidized/loss leader" means that they have zero clue on how a major business works. GamePass by every measure has been highly successful and people here are trying to tell Phil Spencer "no it's not" based on some idea they got in pre-school on how to run a lemonade stand.

It's been explained many times why so many companies are moving to subscription services and why they are highly profitable...but hey, it can't be true because Microsoft isn't creating some MAU metric for you to consume...that you wouldn't understand anyway...

Why won't they release numbers then?

Because if you don't understand how it is profitable and successful now, there is no "number" that will be of any difference to your opinion. You are just going to use it to further your argument that it isn't successful, because there is no way to equate subscription revenue vs. physical sales revenue in a way that would make sense to people that really that Microsoft is taking a loss somewhere.

For how many games are on the service, I can't even begin to fathom how it is doing well for both MS and devs. It's so cheap someone has to be losing a ton of money, whether it be MS or the devs. The payouts to the devs must be great for so many third-party games to straight up launch on it, or be added to it sometimes only a few months after release.

Unless for MS "doing very well" simply means they have a ton more active users since the service launched.
See, it's post like this. It's literally been explained hundreds of times...subscription services all operate the same. But hey, it can't be doing well because reasons.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like most "AAA" games are already doing this. Hardly any of the games I play on Game Pass do.

Sony and Nintendo don't seem to have these elements in their games.

Halo 5, Forza Horizon 4 & Gears 5 all have microtransactions though.

Games aren't exclusive to Gamepass. They're also sold at retail, and most are multiplatform releases on PlayStation consoles too.

Doesn't make sense to think games will be designed around a fraction of their player base.

I'm talking about exclusives, the microtransactions in Gears 5 feel a little greedy considering the game cost 60 to begin with, it's like they're treating the paid content as if it were a free game.

A reasonable concern, but one that has nothing to do with Gamepass.

Well Game Pass supposedly pays by how long people play a game right? So it makes sense if devs focus on battle passes or microtransactions, it just wouldn't be what i'd want.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EGS + Game Pass PC is literal heaven for Europoors like me. I pay virtually zero money and get a shitload of good games.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I love how the average user here spends more time searching for numbers and demanding for data instead of playing games, they are not even shareholders or data analyst but they need their god damn numbers for "reasons".
That's not what the average user does....lol.

And yes of you aren't transparent about the numbers people gonna have question. If Nintendo comes out today and pronounces that they are the No. 1 console manufacturers without backing the data up people will wonder how they got to that statements.

Oct 26, 2017

It's alright boosting numbers when you sell your product for 1$ for 3 months. I have zero interest in staying subscribed for full price. Many will be the same.

Real numbers when it isn't on offer will be the pudding. Because right now it must be losing money considering how badly gears 5 sold since most plays it on game pass.

The ones that should care about numbers are Microsoft, developers and investors, the consumer should give 0 fucks about how a service is being paid and if it's sustainable.

Demanding numbers to make "conversation more interesting" will always result in console warring and you already know that.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep I'm loving it and it is apparently doing well so I've got no problem with it.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea

Why not just talk about the games in the service and how awesome it is to see recent and new titles show up on the service? We ain't business folks here... Probably lol

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't own an Xbox or Windows PC but GamePass is legit. I'm really hoping that Sony offers something just as incredible for the PlaysStation 5.