• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
The Philips Momentum 436M6VBPAB is a 43-inch 4K monitor that is the first to obtain VESA's DisplayHDR 1000 certification, a spec designed to standardize HDR performance in PC monitors.

More here: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...monitor-that-reaches-1000-nits-of-brightness/

StHcAH3.jpg

From Press Release: http://media.maxborgesagency.com/pr...or-the-first-to-achieve-hdr1000-certification

The new Philips Momentum 43" 4K HDR Quantum Dot Monitor (436M6VBPAB) is the world's first HDR1000 monitor with the new Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) DisplayHDR 1000 Certification. The Momentum also features Ambiglow technology. The Philips Momentum 436M6's combination of HDR 1000 with Ambiglow leads to an incredibly immersive entertainment viewing experience.

The Momentum 436M6 features Quantum Dot Color and DisplayHDR 1000 for a wider range of more accurate colors – especially dark reds and greens – that stay crisp and clear even in bright light. DisplayHDR 1000 delivers a dramatically different visual experience. With a peak brightness of up to 1,000 cd/m2, incomparable contrast and captivating color, images come to life with much greater brightness while also featuring much deeper, more nuanced darks. It renders a fuller palette of rich new colors seen on the display.

DisplayHDR is the display industry's first fully open standard specifying HDR quality. This standard spans across three performance tiers: DisplayHDR 400 (baseline), 600 (mid-range) and 1000 (high-end). These specifications are established using eight specific parameter requirements and associated test including: three peak luminance tests, two contrast measurement tests, color testing of the BT.709 and DCI-P3 color gamuts, bi-depth requirement test and a HDR response performance test.

"As with any new technology there can be confusion out there regarding HDR specs and benefits. VESA's new DisplayHDR standard will make monitor shopping easier by offering consumers a comparable standard to judge HDR picture performance between monitors," stated Chris Brown, Philips Monitors Global Marketing Manager, TPV. "We are very excited to launch the world's first DisplayHDR 1000 monitor, the Philips Momentum 43-inch 4K Display. DisplayHDR 1000 level of picture performance will offer a more intense gaming and entertainment experience. The contrast and color really bring action scenes alive, like we've never seen before."

From Rock Paper Shotgun: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/25/philips-436m6vbpab-release-date-price-specs/

Since this is a monitor rather than a TV, you also get lots of monitor-type ports, including a DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 2.0, USB-C and a built-in USB3 hub. The downside to that, naturally, is its speakers, which are only 7W. They come with DTS Sound, truth be told, but when most TVs have at least 20W speakers, you're probably still going to be better off using a headset or external speaker system.

The 436M6VBPAB also has FreeSync 2 support (which sadly is tied up with the VESA DisplayHDR 1000 certification, I've since found out, so Nvidia graphics card peeps won't be able to do HDR from either this or the AOC AG322CQ4 after all – my bad, I apologise), and a Low Input Lag mode like the Samsung CHG90 for faster response times and stutter-free gaming. For more info on FreeSync and FreeSync 2, check out our recently-updated Best monitor list and buying guide.

$999 / £699 for 43 inch HDR1000 4K monitor with Ambiglow, FreeSync 2 support and low input lag? I'm sweating! The future is bright! (No puns intended).

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
From that RPS article:

The 436M6VBPAB also has FreeSync 2 support (which sadly is tied up with the VESA DisplayHDR 1000 certification, I've since found out, so Nvidia graphics card peeps won't be able to do HDR from either this or the AOC AG322CQ4 after all – my bad, I apologise)

Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
After owning their 40-inch 4k monitor, I'm skeptical of the panel quality. That had horrendous ghosting issues. Will wait for TFTCentral and thorough impressions.

(But might not get at all because no G-Sync: will wait for a Korean brand to use the Acer Predator X27 panel)

It's an 8bit (FRC) panel. So it's bright, but not really proper HDR.

Nevermind. This completely disqualifies it.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manufacturers need to sod off with this 8 bit + FRC nonsense.

I am sick of the market being confused with all the BS.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that was what I meant. I always mix those things up. Stupid marketing terms.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
From that RPS article:
Yeah normally Nvidia users wouldn't give a Freesync monitor the time of day but HDR and that price would've put it firmly in the discussion for anyone looking for a new panel. No HDR for Nvidia kills it for most I would think. it's knocked it on the head for my mate anyway. Hohum. We're getting there...

Sounds like a great monitor for the Xbox One X.
Really does. Goes up to 80hz. Do any games on 1X have unlocked and go over 60? Edit 1080 for clarity.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
8bit panel, really? Gonna sit on my 278q till there's a preferably ultrawide high hz 10b 1440p+ panel available

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
A 32" would've been nice. Also Nvidia graphics card owners won't be able to do HDR! AFAIK the HDR support on PC is a mess to begin with

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
What's with PC monitors being so damn overpriced compared to TV's at the moment, this aint even 10bit, 120hz or G-sync

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's frustrating that these large format monitors are always targeting 40–43".
Windows is designed around 96 DPI, not the 100 or 110 DPI that monitors often use, so it should really be 46". It seems like 46" displays fell out of favor when we moved beyond 1080p for some reason.
Windows doesn't change SDR/HDR automatically.
They do need to work on that, but switching between HDR and SDR is a workaround for the current state of HDR displays because there are two limitations right now:
  1. There isn't enough bandwidth for full resolution HDR yet. HDMI 2.1 should enable HDR with full 4:4:4 chroma resolution, so there should no longer be a quality difference between HDR and SDR.
  2. LCDs have reduced contrast when displaying SDR content in HDR mode because HDR mode sets the backlight to maximum brightness, rather than only being set to 100 nits. This does not affect self-emissive displays like OLED.
Once those two problems are fixed, you won't want to be switching between HDR and SDR modes. The PC will be in control of the display gamut and brightness and there won't be any more mode switching.

Of course that's potentially "bad" if you wish to view SDR content massively out of spec, like pushing the brightness to 500 nits and running SDR content in the display's wide gamut mode.
When will we see the first eye damage court case?
Do you live underground?

maped

Mar 7, 2018
Meh, I'm still quite happy with my 43" Sony X800D with actual 10-bit panel and BFI, though Freesync would be nice. I also wonder how the local dimming is done, I feel in monitor use any flaws produced by bad implementation would be even more noticeable than in TVs. Ah well, at least the monitor side seems to be getting some love and European msrp isn't too bad compared, just 800€.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
That is a huge ass monitor.

Kind of eliminates the need for two monitors if your one monitor is that big.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
An absolutely gorgeous screen. If they can knock it down to about 30/32" at some point and knock $300 off the price when doing so, then all the better.

Honestly, I wish FreeSync 2 was just as good as G-Sync. However, G-Sync would make this monitor about $300/$400 (at least) more expensive.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming this would be completely fine used as a 43" TV for consoles (without the tuner obviously)?

I currently use a 42" 1080p plasma and have never watched a second of tuner TV on it. A big ass 4K monitor like this would do me ok?

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
I have a question regarding nits. Does more nits means more brightness? And if it's so then is it just me who can't bear very bright screens? I just hate really bright screens coz it hurts my eye.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Do you live underground?

Hee hee, I'm afraid not. My post wasn't really about the monitor, but more about compensation culture and how people will get upset about anything.

I know that won't come across in a one liner, and I should have written a proper post, but I was being bad and lazy.

I'm not suggesting that people should sue in anyway. It seems like a cool piece of tech.

But I'm willing to bet real money that someone uses this in a pitch black room, for several hours a day, and then sues when their eyes break.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
But I'm willing to bet real money that someone uses this in a pitch black room, for several hours a day, and then sues when their eyes break.
Here are some images overlaid with real-world brightness values for you to consider:
023017-hdr-image-with6okje.jpg

real_world_luminance_hckhz.jpg

Both images are from Dolby.
1000 nits in HDR is nothing to be concerned about.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, interesting, thanks! I had read somewhere else that 1000 nits was like direct sunlight and generally overkill for any display.

Had no idea that real life already goes to 300k!