• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone used the gaming side of the new Entertainment app yet? I'll be trying it out this weekend when I am home.

I'm thinking you should be able to get it to sync with PS4 by just doing remote play to PC and running the Hue app on PC. Remote Play over my wired router to my PC (locally) has had very little lag, so I would think it wouldn't add too much extra lag to the lights? Very eager to check it out. The lag shown on their official demonstrations looks very very small.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I jumped on this train yesterday.

It's pretty nifty. Only 4 bulbs so far but definitely going to do an LED strip for my media room.

I see how people get so into it. I'm not going to do any voice stuff besides Siri button though, the always on speakers freak me out.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the Sync thing is sorta neat but limited. i was fiddling with it this aft on Mac / High Sierra.

It only works on desktop, and you need to have created an entertainment zone on the mobile app first (sheesh). Once installed It has to route video and audio through system extensions so Safari Netflix gets mad when you Airplay. Likewise trying to just throw audio to an Apple TV 4K while syncing lights hijacks the sound output to Hue Sync. You can brute force it by doing a mirror Airplay, display and all, which is a bit dumb. Chrome won't complain about anything so you can use that to get your freak on but I advise looking up extensions to fix Netflix 720p limit and/or .. what is it. ctrl alt shift s or something, you can override the bitrate limit.

that said Daft Punk's Lose Yourself to Dance looks pretty dope splashed all over the wall. i'm using a Lightstrip Plus w/2 extensions and 2 side lamp colour bulbs.

I really doubt I'll use the sync thing all that much, maybe for "event" viewings or w/e, but what I'd like are some of the slow colour cycling presets from the Labs and other (sea of!) Hue iOS apps out there.

Feel like I jumped in at the right time, lots of changes recently to the whole Hue system.

Barls

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any issues with the Hue Sync app on PC not changing colors at all when changing color palettes on music PC? No matter which palette I choose, I have a pink, a yellow and white and a red. Maybe a reinstall?

Veritigo

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping they bring the Hue Sync app to Android TV or PS4 so I can actually get some use out of it. That Last Jedi video above looks really cool.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping they bring the Hue Sync app to Android TV or PS4 so I can actually get some use out of it. That Last Jedi video above looks really cool.

I don't think they can. It's a fair amount of processing (i.e. would melt your phone battery) and would only work for video content played from the phone via something like AirPlay, which also introduces lag.

There's a Camera app that lets you use the phone to send a picture signal but it's supposedly very laggy (and costs $5! wtf) and then of course you can't use your phone while watching something else.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Is there any news on the "turn on with last used mode" option? I only really use my lights on dimmed settings in some rooms so it's a pain in the arse changing them every time I turn them on.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Is there any news on the "turn on with last used mode" option? I only really use my lights on dimmed settings in some rooms so it's a pain in the arse changing them every time I turn them on.
What are you using to control them? I'm using Alexa, and dimmer switches configured with iConnectHue.

"Alexa, turn on the lights" always gives me the last used settings. I set the dimmer switches to default to a low light, and I do a long press if I want max brightness.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On iOS you can set this as a lock screen widget per room.

Although when I use the app to just turn a room on/off it usually does this anyway...?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
This is manually switching the light on and off with the light switches. I'll never be able to have the missus use the app etc to turn them off with.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
What are you using to control them? I'm using Alexa, and dimmer switches configured with iConnectHue.

"Alexa, turn on the lights" always gives me the last used settings. I set the dimmer switches to default to a low light, and I do a long press if I want max brightness.
HomeKit does this as well. Just turning on a light will use the last brightness and color settings.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I would, but I can't get past how fucking ugly they are. I'm astonished no-one has designed something better yet.

Or at least designed the thing to fit in the space of a normal decora switch plate.

I'm also one of those people that likes proper light control and wall color when I'm watching films for reasons of presentation accuracy, so while I can see the appeal of these backlight sync applications it's certainly nothing to which I'd subject my eyes. I guess I'm an old fuddy duddy.

Still need to get recessed lighting installation quotes from my electrician, but I keep missing the hue sales and the freaking gen2 BR30 white and color ambience bulbs are expensive and I'd be looking at buying about 6 to 9 of them.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All i want is integration into Netflix/plex/my smart tv without having to rig up some bullshit from my pc.

Oh and the ability to set color rotations without having to do labs

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would, but I can't get past how fucking ugly they are. I'm astonished no-one has designed something better yet.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I haven't installed any yet, and I have gang style house switches anyways so it's not great for me. Mostly I have just stuck to putting the bulbs in the lamps without switches so far.

You'd think they could design a dimmer touch switch that was a simple flat panel, with tap and slide. Like the top of an Apple TV remote.

Veritigo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they can. It's a fair amount of processing (i.e. would melt your phone battery) and would only work for video content played from the phone via something like AirPlay, which also introduces lag.

There's a Camera app that lets you use the phone to send a picture signal but it's supposedly very laggy (and costs $5! wtf) and then of course you can't use your phone while watching something else.
I was thinking using it on something like a Shield TV instead of a phone.

Ideally this software would be installed on a TV so it would work no matter what input you use, though I imagine that would drive the price of the TV up a fair bit.

Realiatically, I guess I should just build a media PC for my living room (something I've been thinking about anyway).

OP
OP
GAMEPROFF

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
All i want is integration into Netflix/plex/my smart tv without having to rig up some bullshit from my pc.

Oh and the ability to set color rotations without having to do labs
They killed all my excitement for the system with the lack of Netflix support...

Does a SHIELD TV support XMBC? There is a plug in for that.

Ideally this software would be installed on a TV so it would work no matter what input you use, though I imagine that would drive the price of the TV up a fair bit.
Philips sells still a few TVs with build in Hue Support in europe... And yeah, that comes with additional costs.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Realiatically, I guess I should just build a media PC for my living room (something I've been thinking about anyway).
Yeah it would be cool if you could install it in a Pi or something and run HDMI through it but I'm not sure if the standard allows for that. It needs to intercept colour info and process it, then pass it to the Bridge many times per second.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried the outdoor lights yet? I'm curious if anyone has tried the Lily spot lights in particular.

I wanted to use some strip light on the back of some furniture I have against a wall, but now I'm thinking that the spotlights could do a decent job of spreading light up the wall. Has anyone tried it? It wouldn't really work for me if they were narrow beams. This is for my patio.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My whole office lights up in sync with my browsing using Vivaldi, this is pretty nice.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What's the cheapest hue compatible colour bulb or light strip? Daughter wants one for her room so I want to keep the cost down. We already have hue lights elsewhere in the house so only need the bulb

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Here it is in action. I modified a couple of IKEA proprietary lights to make blooms

Very nice!

I've been looking for nice lamps that could work well with the colour bulbs. Did you modify the lamps themselves at all, or is that just how well they show the colours of the bulbs by default?

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very nice!

I've been looking for nice lamps that could work well with the colour bulbs. Did you modify the lamps themselves at all, or is that just how well they show the colours of the bulbs by default?

I bought the big polygonal lights for the shade - the internal lamp is some ikea proprietary halogen nonsense, not compatible with Hue at all I don't think. but inside it's a flat base more or less, so I cut off the cord, then bought a pair of single $8 black stem lamps that are part of another mix-and-match Ikea system, and stuck those inside, running the cord out the bottom (which is easy, the shade is open at top and bottom).

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the big polygonal lights for the shade - the internal lamp is some ikea proprietary halogen nonsense, not compatible with Hue at all I don't think. but inside it's a flat base more or less, so I cut off the cord, then bought a pair of single $8 black stem lamps that are part of another mix-and-match Ikea system, and stuck those inside, running the cord out the bottom (which is easy, the shade is open at top and bottom).

Very cool. Thanks for detailing! When I have some more time (and a bit of change) I might give it a shot.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up, Target has a Cartwheel coupon for 15% off Hue bulbs right now. Just thought I'd pass that along. :)

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Finally, some non shit switches. How the hell they thought the old lot were acceptable is beyond me.

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
So is it possible/what would be my best option to getting hue sync to work with my physical 4k movies that I use a 4k bluray player for displaying on my TV?

Last edited:

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
So is it possible/what would be my best option to getting hue sync to work with my physical 4k movies that I use a 4k bluray player for displaying on my TV?
Are we talking a dedicated blu ray player?

Afaik, unfortunately the only way to do something like that would be to use a webcam and point it at your screen with a camera app running, then have hue sync capture that. Which isn't ideal.

A Blu Ray drive built into your PC I'm not too sure about, got the feeling DRM would stop Hue Sync doing it's job.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Love the light sync. Got a HTPC to play 4k/HDR/Atmos, and I've got the light strip all around the back of the TV and a Hue Go on each side hitting the wall. Kinda sucks sync doesn't really work with anything else but eh, my HTPC can basically play anything and everything. The light sync really improves the home cinema experience by soooo much.

Last edited:

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
Are we talking a dedicated blu ray player?

Afaik, unfortunately the only way to do something like that would be to use a webcam and point it at your screen with a camera app running, then have hue sync capture that. Which isn't ideal.

A Blu Ray drive built into your PC I'm not too sure about, got the feeling DRM would stop Hue Sync doing it's job.
Yeah a dedicated player, so that's too bad, would have been cool to use it.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Philips releases some sort of inline Hue Sync adapter/processor. Would also not be surprised if it has limited compatibility considering the clusterfuck that is HDCP.

Most of my Syncing is via Netflix on Chrome w/1080p extension, or straight MP4/MKV files. So I would recommend going the other direction and just rip whatever BDs you want to watch using Sync and play them through VLC or Kodi.

It's not the kind of thing you want on for every movie. Certain very dark movies can give the thing a hard time since the lights don't seem to be able to dim totally smoothly between 10% and off. So you get flickering. But for big tent pole /spectacle type films it really is fun.

I wish I could use it with PS4. Sony should add support.

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
Just a thought, is it possible to make the content on my TV display on my laptop? I know the reverse can work.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Finally picked up a starter pack of these things. The wifi reliability sucks real donkey dick, huh. Failed software updates for an hour straight, finally got the hub to update, and after fifteen minutes of sitting there watching progress, the 3 lights all went unreachable.

They looked cool for the three minutes I could use them. Now I'm sitting here continuing to waste my evening while stewing over three normally lit rooms with needlessly expensive light bulbs.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally picked up a starter pack of these things. The wifi reliability sucks real donkey dick, huh. Failed software updates for an hour straight, finally got the hub to update, and after fifteen minutes of sitting there watching progress, the 3 lights all went unreachable.

They looked cool for the three minutes I could use them. Now I'm sitting here continuing to waste my evening while stewing over three normally lit rooms with needlessly expensive light bulbs.

The bulbs make their own network. Are the bulbs all fairly close to each other and the hub?

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've got.. Like 8 of the color bulbs and the light strip behind my tv .. But I haven't really done much with them. I set a couple color profiles for watching a movie or whatever but that's about it. I need to find a better way to integrate them.