• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Hi! I'm Julian Gollop, the creative director on Phoenix Point and the CEO of Snapshot Games.

I'm going to get straight to it - we're delaying the release of Phoenix Point by three months, to September 2019.

I realize this is going to be disappointing news for a lot of people, and I'm really sorry about it.

Even though the game is on track to be content complete much sooner, the extra time will give us the chance to test and polish the gameplay much more extensively, and I think that the end result will be well worth it.

We didn't take this decision lightly, but I think this investment of additional time and resources will help the game live up to your expectations.

Our next backer release will be out in March with a large amount of new content - details to follow shortly.

I realise we are asking for a little bit of more patience from you, but I am sure you won't be disappointed with the product of our intensive labours.

So once again, I would like to thank all our backers for their patience and support, and I look forward to getting your feedback to backer release 4 in March.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Second delay...I still trust the team, but im wondering if their trying to make something that's beyond their scope.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game seems incredibly ambitious so I'm cool with them taking their time to get it right.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Aw, this makes me sad. June would have been a perfect release date because the summer is usually barren. Still, this is one of my most anticipated games this year so if they need to polish it, a delay is better than it being broken.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Aw, this makes me sad. June would have been a perfect release date because the summer is usually barren. Still, this is one of my most anticipated games this year so if they need to polish it, a delay is better than it being broken.

Yeah, that original launch date was perfect. Oh well.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Second delay...I still trust the team, but im wondering if their trying to make something that's beyond their scope.
Like Battletech I suspect that will be somewhat apparent and it will take another 6-to-12 months for the game to fully take shape.

Par for the course for these type of games. Hopefully it will have some form of mod support, which will help greatly.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to the next backer build.

I wish that games didn't take so much time to make, but I understand that it's needed to refine certain aspects, especially X-COM like games.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I get fans might get impatient but I feel with this type of game you should just take all the time you need.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunate, but through the years Gollop's earned my trust several times over, so I'm willing to wait.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Oh well.

Shall we all hold hands and recite the delay mantra?

"All is well. We'd rather they take the time to polish it properly. All is well. We'd rather they take the time..."

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
From PC Gamer:

The X-Com-like alien invasion strategy game Phoenix Point has been delayed, from its expected launch in June to the almost-autumn September. Creative director Julian Gollop said the game will be "content complete" before then, but "the extra time will give us the chance to test and polish the gameplay much more extensively."

"I realize this is going to be disappointing news for a lot of people, and I'm really sorry about it," Gollop said in a brief video message. "We didn't take this decision lightly, but I think this investment of additional time and resources will help the game live up to your expectations."

A new version of Phoenix Point for backers of the Fig crowdfunding campaign will be released in March, "with a large amount of new content" that will be revealed soon. Phoenix Point was originally targeting a 2018 release, but has grown in scope since then.

Gollop is the creator of the original X-Com: UFO Defense, or UFO: Enemy Unknown, as it was called outside North America, and Phoenix Point is being developed as a spiritual successor to that game. Our 2018 preview dives into the ways it differs from the 2012 reboot XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and if you don't have time for all that you can just check out some weird-ass aliens.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/phoenix-...piritual-successor-to-x-com-has-been-delayed/

At least the extra wait isn't too bad.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
A wise man once said a bad xcom game will always be bad and a good xcom game will always be good... no wait, that's not right.

Anyway, if they need more time they need more time. It's still day one for me and hopefully the extra time will mean a better game in the end.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, damn. Guess more time to get around to properly finishing Rabbids and checking out Into The Breach!

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
No problem, I'll wait. If it's not ready to release, it's better not to release it. I think it's very simple.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering they were still working on things like the destruction physics like a month ago the delay isn't all that surprising.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The search on this site is dire. Searching pheonix point brought up zero results.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Well, another delay, let's see if it's going to be the last one, still a lot of work to do for the team. Though I think that the Backer Build isn't really the actual internal status of the game or it might take a lot longer to finish ;)

Still, we got some new stuff with the latest build and are supposed to get the next big update in March, so that helps. The strategy layer was still really basic and dull at the current build. But the basic gameplay worked already (tactical missions), so that's good. They should take whatever time they need to finish it in a proper way. Guess we won't see a surprise XCOM 3 announcement and/or release this year, but if so, that might turn out to be a problem for Phoenix Point then.

Still missing more games in the way of Phoenix Point / XCOM, yeah I know there are a lot of strategy or turn basic combat games out there, but they didn't click for me (for example Phantom Doctrine).