• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Just nabbed this on EGS. We'll see how it is; I haven't played a game like this since, well, XCom 2 I guess, and to make matters worse I suck at these kind of games, but I think they're neat!

No one sucks at these kind of games, it's all RNG fault, you can repeat to yourself while rocking back and forth in fetal position.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I bought this ages ago in the Epic sale, I wouldn't have bothered if I knew it were on Gamepass. I think it was only like £15 though so whatever. Pretty annoying we can't preload, though.

Feb 12, 2019
So, uh, guess I can just wait for it to show up on GamePass. What a weird, last second delay.
No one sucks at these kind of games, it's all RNG fault, you can repeat to yourself while rocking back and forth in fetal position.
I was under the impression that this game's ballistics modeling system meant taking shots was way less RNG dependent than XCOM. :P

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

What am I paying for? Game pass, Phoenix Point, chop chop.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Really disappointed about the PC Game Pass delay. Guess there's nothing to be done now, but I was definitely looking forward to playing this tonight.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I can only live vicariously through y'alls impressions.

So impress away.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I backed this years ago and have basically ignored all updates. Excited to try it out -- although I haven't decided yet whether I'll be downloading EGS or, more likely, waiting for an alternative platform.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
8SXCRlP.png

I dunno if it's a bug, but bottom left shows 1 AP, whereas it shows when looks to be nearly 2AP on the units frame. I also hate the little damaged man graphic, it looks like a placeholder.

So far though, it actually seems pretty damn good, I went in not expecting much with all the delays, but it's giving me that XCOM2 feeling which is a good thing. I really like the targeted limb system as well. They need to tweak the visual presets though, on medium it looks like an N64 game, all the lighting and shadows are fucked, plus the frame rate is LOWER. It seems very high is the sweet spot, any lower and it starts to look bad, and ultra looks no different to my eye for a 15fps hit.

5Ltuu5u.png

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of looking like a placeholder, I really dislike how the epic store looks.
Otoh, download seems faster than on steam, which is good because download already you goddamn game.

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of looking like a placeholder, I really dislike how the epic store looks.
Otoh, download seems faster than on steam, which is good because download already you goddamn game.

Honestly, ever since Steam updated I've felt myself more and more appreciating the simplicity of the EGS. Like, feature-wise, it's awful, but Steam is starting to look like a bit of a mess and it definitely has acquired an identity problem as parts of it have moved forward while other parts have stagnated. I suspect the same thing will eventually happen to the EGS, though; it's easy to look and feel simple when you're new and have no baggage (of a design variety).

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a backer, but I'll probably hold off on jumping in for a bit to let any bugs get worked out. I have no PC at the moment anyway.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit I forgot about this. I wonder how the unit customization is.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Really looking forward to this. Shame about the Game Pass launch date, but I'm willing to wait a little while longer to jump in. It looks like they really did an amazing job with this. Even with the talent I wasn't entirely convinced they'd pull it off. Bravo!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Well if y'all need something to play while waiting for the GPPC launch, Imperator: Rome is having a free week right now.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Oh shit I forgot about this. I wonder how the unit customization is.

It's decent, you can change gender, face, hair, facial hair, voice, name, eye/hair color and armor color.

So far I haven't run into any bugs and I'm actually really happy so far, it's much better than I was expecting.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just tried it out. Ultrawide support is good. The UI feel a bit, er, chunkier than I expected but it works OK. I like the game system throwbacks to the original XCOM, like the open-ended movement system. Oh, and the way it actually simulates your bullet paths makes for some fun, unexpected moments. I really like being able to free aim too.

As a Fig backer, I'm still annoyed about the switch to EGS but Snapshot handled it better than anyone else. The extra Epic cash means that the uncompleted stretch goals will now be released (as DLC) and I'll still get that Steam key + DLC in the end. I doubt I'll back their next crowdfunding project though.

Here's hoping the game's actually good.

Last edited:

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Man, the thread title was a missed opportunity to put something Terror from the Deep related...

Fig backer here, playing on EGS, liking it so far (the original UFO: Enemy Unknown is my personal GOAT game, and I absolutely loved the 2012 XCOM reboot though wasn't a huge fan of the direction XCOM2 took). Gotta get used to the diplomacy and factions stuff, but otherwise pretty solid (yay for base building).

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Just had my first casualty, pro tip: pay attention to the mission difficulty, I had no business being there lol.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Liking this so far but it's pretty info overload on some aspects, and in some it's like "fuck you, figure it out"

I do like that early on I've already fought a pretty decent variety of enemies (both type and faction).

I admit I wasn't paying super close attention to the game, just knew it was from Gollop and that I'd get it, even if just eventually, so getting suprised by some of the little details or tweaks to the formula I wasn't expecting.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
So umm...okay. 7th or 8th mission defend a Haven and there are enemies (sirens) that can mind control 2 soldiers at once (there are two so can decimate your troops in a few moves). Barely started the campaign. Threat lvl is medium. Attack power is 10 Defense 16 so I guess I can let the Haven defend itself, because I get utterly fucked if I get involved. This is on easy too.

Oct 25, 2017
Game on EGS just downloads like 27 MB of content. Clicking "Launch" just pulls up the folder. What?

edit: Oh, I think I downloaded the OST or something. NM.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sounds like fun. Whish they had it on game pass.

I picked it up for like £18 in that 50% off Epic Sale ages ago, and at that price I'm very happy. It's definitely worth of a month of Game Pass when it's ready.

Yeah, sadly its cheap XCOM 2 :(

I feel that's very harsh, it doesn't feel like a cheap rip off at all IMO, it's actually well made and reminds me a lot of XCOM 2. X2 is the king, but this isn't bad at all.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, sadly its cheap XCOM 2 :(

Nah, that's not true at all.
From gear, to movement, to factions, to base(s) management, everything is a bit more than XCOM 2, which is both a pro and a con, depending on how you feel about micromanaging.

Adding all that creates a very different game in the same genre. It's like saying Cities: Skylines is something something Sim City.

Where XCOM 2 blows this out of the water is general presentation, tho I prefer these designs to the kind of bland XCOM 2 flavors of soldiers.
XCOM 2 character customization, alongside with WotC posters, just spoiled us. That's bananas level of making your soldiers look exactly the kind of weird fantasy you have. This is acceptable, but it doesn't come close.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Well just had my first bug with the Siren, she just kept trying to MC me over and over and the turn never ended, had to ALT F4.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Am I crazy or are the Siren mobs absolutely overtuned to ridiculous levels? They can MC multiple party members and they have so much HP. They don't feel right to me at all.