• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I have Apollo Justice on Android, and given that was game 1 of the second trilogy, I started playing it so I have one game portably and can then play the trilogy at home on Xbox.

However, would I be missing out on something story wise by playing Apollo before I've finished the trilogy? I ask because:

*Warning: Potential spoilers ahead for both the AA Trilogy and Apollo Justice (case 1)*

In the first case of Apollo, Phoenix Wright appears... as a defendant. Am I missing out on backstory from the first trilogy by playing this before I finish the trilogy?

I also have Miles Edgeworth on Android, if playing that would be spoiler-free?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loving this so far. Just finished episode two or AA1
Though I'm concerned if there's going to be asspulls in the future using the spirit medium thing. Maya is awesome though
Do the soundtracks change between games? The trial music is thrilling and hype but it gets super repetitive. I still like it, but I just wish it was a longer loop or something

The best thing to do is just accept the existence of spirit channeling as fact in this universe. It's a system that has rules, and it's a recurring theme throughout the trilogy.

Oh, and one of the cool things about trial music: each game completely changes up all of the trial themes. Something to look forward to as you move throughout the series.

I have Apollo Justice on Android, and given that was game 1 of the second trilogy, I started playing it so I have one game portably and can then play the trilogy at home on Xbox.

However, would I be missing out on something story wise by playing Apollo before I've finished the trilogy? I ask because:

*Warning: Potential spoilers ahead for both the AA Trilogy and Apollo Justice*

In the first case of Apollo, Phoenix Wright appears... as a defendant. Am I missing out on backstory from the first trilogy by playing this before I finish the trilogy?

I would absolutely not play either of those before completing the trilogy. They generally tiptoe around direct spoilers (like, character fates and such), but both games are super enhanced by the character development you get from the original trilogy.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

*Warning: Potential spoilers ahead for both the AA Trilogy and Apollo Justice (case 1)*

You won't get major spoilers, especially in AA4, and you'll be able to follow the plot easily enough but you definitely want to play the original trilogy first.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I would absolutely not play either of those before completing the trilogy. They generally tiptoe around direct spoilers (like, character fates and such), but both games are super enhanced by the character development you get from the original trilogy.
You won't get major spoilers, especially in AA4, and you'll be able to follow the plot easily enough but you definitely want to play the original trilogy first.
Thanks - I'll hold off then until I've completed the original trilogy.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

In this case you're not missing anything, everyone playing the original trilogy was just as stumped as to what the hell happened and had to learn about the backstory for this in AA4. It was, of course, more fun if you played the original, because this case is supposed to really fuck with your expectations.

I love AA4, but there are some cases in there that really drag on, so I generally don't know if that's a good place to start the series, or whether it might sour you on the overall mechanics.

In general, to people buying the trilogy for the first time: Take your time. It's nice to have all 3 games at once, but if you want to play them all in direct succession, you'll quickly burn out. The games aren't necessarily the most interactive at times, so I've seen a loooot of people drop off the series in some of the more slow paced cases. Don't rush through it.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's a decent game, absolutely. I enjoyed my time with it, but it's also nice that Capcom listened to the issues fans had with it because AA6 was just beyond amazing. I'm amazed by how much they listened since the case 4 and 5 issue was even rectified, with case 5 of AA6 being incredibly long and plot twisty.

I think on balance I actually preferred 5 to 6. A lot of that might be to do with the fact that I really didn't care for the prosecutor in 6 at all.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I gotta say, never played Ace Attorney before, but been listening to Turnabout Jazz Soul (a band that makes an amazing cover of AA musics) since 2010, and it is great listening to those same songs but in game lol

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Currently halfway through the third game. I've played these games several times before, but I'm still having such a blast.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Got it on switch, meaning to replay the trilogy (played through them on DS eons ago) with my girlfriend.

As lovely as the sprites were, playing this with crisp picture on a 55inch tv and great speakers makes it the definitive edition for me. Plus will be great to play when we are away from home.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The main menu music is great, I wish they'd include an option for an arranged soundtrack like that throughout the entire game. But it's not a big deal, the GBA/DS chiptune soundtrack is still great and there's no greater moment than putting a suspect on the spot and having the Mortal Kombat Movie Theme start playing.

Mar 19, 2019
I must swim against the tide when it comes to AA games because I thought Dual Destinies was fantastic.

I thought DD was... fun. But also if you check my profile you'll see I'm just a nerd for whodunits, and can find some modicum of enjoyment from... generally any mystery-solving romp. I loved 5-2 just because of my soft-spot for using folklore in mysteries, but it's got some pretty EHH logic nearer the end of it. There's a comic that shows what I mean that I'll post later.

5-3 is a meme for a good reason, 5-4 is pretty good and 5-5 is... not so pretty good. So I mean, one really fun case and one actually good case is not a good spread for an AA game. The big-bad is also not great. The one saving grace is that Athena is better than the DD/SoJ incarnations of Phoenix and Apollo and I love her arc.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I thought DD was... fun. But also if you check my profile you'll see I'm just a nerd for whodunits, and can find some modicum of enjoyment from... generally any mystery-solving romp. I loved 5-2 just because of my soft-spot for using folklore in mysteries, but it's got some pretty EHH logic nearer the end of it. There's a comic that shows what I mean that I'll post later.

5-3 is a meme for a good reason, 5-4 is pretty good and 5-5 is... not so pretty good. So I mean, one really fun case and one actually good case is not a good spread for an AA game. The big-bad is also not great. The one saving grace is that Athena is better than the DD/SoJ incarnations of Phoenix and Apollo and I love her arc.

My enjoyment of DD was carried almost entirely by the DLC case and Blackquill. Conversely, my least favourite parts of SoJ were the DLC case and Nahyuta.

Mar 19, 2019
My enjoyment of DD was carried almost entirely by the DLC case and Blackquill. Conversely, my least favourite parts of SoJ were the DLC case and Nahyuta.

The DLC case is, yes, just hands-down DD's best case. I liked Nahyuta's arc, but hated him personally; didn't carry the same "I love to hate him" charm of Godot. My least favorite prosecutor from a narrative-perspective is actually Klavier, but only because his relationship with the big bad was wasted. Could've been a really interesting story arc, but no, we got the Franziska treatment where it's pretty much only touched upon for like 2 seconds at the home-stretch of the game. I only forgave Franziska because there wasn't the Godot-standard yet.

Mar 19, 2019
I don't carry my GBA anymore, so I woukld have loved for the Switch version to have the option. Thanks.

Fair, but the NDS remakes were the most faithful visually, and if you have a 3DS that's, like, every AA game in its original format right there for you. :)

In all seriousness, though, I'm pretty sure the remake only uses the new look. Which I don't like, honestly, but I don't have to play the remakes thankfully since a mystery game is never as fun as the second time around. I'm sure someone will release a mod for it sometime, though, so jailbreak your Switch ig.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks - I'll hold off then until I've completed the original trilogy.
I don't think Apollo Justice particularly spoils anything from the OG trilogy and it starts a completely new chapter that is totally separated from what came before plus it mostly establishes a whole new cast of characters with a whole lot of old characters never returning (or they do but only waaaaay down the line in the 5th or 6th game). I think you can play AJ before finishing the PW trilogy just fine.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
So, er, do most of the cases have pretty big leaps in logic or am I just an idiot? I got stuck on the very first case, the tutorial one lol.

how the hell does her changing her table clock to Paris time make any sense? Also I don't even know what region they are in how would I know they are 9 hours behind? Who changes the clocks in their home to the time zone of where they are vacationing??

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
So, er, do most of the cases have pretty big leaps in logic or am I just an idiot? I got stuck on the very first case, the tutorial one lol.

how the hell does her changing her table clock to Paris time make any sense? Also I don't even know what region they are in how would I know they are 9 hours behind? Who changes the clocks in their home to the time zone of where they are vacationing??
she took the clock with her to Paris, so it was on Paris time when she returned. She hadn't changed it since getting back, which was a short amount of time before her death.

The location ultimately doesn't matter. It's just the knowledge that there's a time different of 9 hours that matters.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Still debating on the platform choice on this. I never played it and want to. I almost always buy third party games on PC if I can, but the style of this game seems suited to the Switch (although I never take mine out of the house).

Do the graphics scale natively to any resolution, or is it something like Cuphead where it's rendered at 1080p and anything higher is just stretched?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't carry my GBA anymore, so I woukld have loved for the Switch version to have the option. Thanks.
Emulation is your only option.

Doing that right now on my tablet instead of buying this rerelease or replaying my DS games on my 3DS. Still looks great, even blown up on the much larger tablet screen.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
He's just so...nice. He cooperated too easily, even if I liked his character.

I need my prosecutors to be atleast somewhat shitty people.
That's one of the things I liked most about him. Made for a nice change of pace after Franziska and Godot turned the "Fuck you and fuck your case" levels to high.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
First time I've played these games, only done the first case and started the second but I love the personality so far.

Is there a way to make the screens automatically switch?

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing this series since the DS, so not buying the Steam version, but seeing it yesterday on top 10 sales warms my heart :)

moyad0

Apr 1, 2019
Listen to Turnabout Jazz Soul versions

The first song is incredible! Now I regret playing the series so late.

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZpwfcw4NkQ

Ace Attorney music can be played in lots of different styles. :)

I did triple dip BTW for this release, if Capcom is going to test the water for an Ace Attorney 7, I have to be part of the reason they decide to do so. :)

wow, thanks to you too! This channel seems pretty good, btw.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
First time I've played these games, only done the first case and started the second but I love the personality so far.

Is there a way to make the screens automatically switch?
Man, I'm so jealous that you're experiencing this game for the first time. Please keep us updated with your progress.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
she took the clock with her to Paris, so it was on Paris time when she returned. She hadn't changed it since getting back, which was a short amount of time before her death.

The location ultimately doesn't matter. It's just the knowledge that there's a time different of 9 hours that matters.
this reveal was the very moment I fell in love with this series.

The first song is incredible! Now I regret playing the series so late.
No regrets, friend. Just enjoy the ride. :)

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered from Japan with Chocobo. With shipping came out to about $81 USD total.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know that many people hated Klavier. He's one of my favorite prosecutors. That glimmerous fop.
I don't think people hate him; they don't care or forget him because he's a do-nothing character. I don't like him because he has no character arc and zero chemistry with any character in the series. He doesn't help Apollo change or improve and Apollo doesn't help him improve. They just...exist near each other.

His only character trait is "he's not a jerk" to which I can only say "so what?" The rival must be someone that helps the lead improve or is an opponent that is satisfying to beat or humiliate. Klavier is neither.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, what crazy person at CAPCOM came up with the HNBM control scheme for viewing evidence in 1-5?

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
He's just so...nice. He cooperated too easily, even if I liked his character.

I need my prosecutors to be atleast somewhat shitty people.
Following up Godot is tough but I think Klavier has some merit in that he's just a nice dude. AJ was probably way different in its early design stages and I really like the idea of a cooperative prosecutor, but he doesn't get to do much.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Klavier isn't exceptional or anything, but I liked him well enough. Strong visual design, and his theme is a banger.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I personally feel that Franziska is just bad as Nahyuta, if not worse. A fairly uninteresting and non-threatening prosecutor.

I hate her in 2. Her constant whipping interruptions and animations that take forever, ugh. And she's annoying as all hell in 2 and Interrogations. She's only ok-ish in 3.