• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkain

Oct 27, 2017
I just saved during a trial before I got a penalty, because I thought I had to present evidence and I only had 1 hp left. Now my whole save is ruined... I guess I have to replay the whole case?

While that's a bad situation to be in, you can skip through text very quickly by holding B (on an Xbox controller). If you remember all the steps you took to get that far, it shouldn't take too terribly long to get back to where you were.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Can't you just lose and restart from the last checkpoint?

No, you can't. I brought this up earlier when someone else had the same experience.

When you get a game over, you're sent back to the title screen. The problem is that mid-chapter saves in the original games when you wanted to load them, you would give you the prompt of "From save point" or "From Chapter Start" which would prevent situations like this. Here you just get sent back to your doomed save and you can't select which chapter to start from like you can in the newer Ace Attorney games.

This is a huge deal and massive oversight by Capcom. I'm really surprised people aren't making more noise at Capcom about this.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Basically lol.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
No, you can't. I brought this up earlier when someone else had the same experience.

When you get a game over, you're sent back to the title screen. The problem is that mid-chapter saves in the original games when you wanted to load them, you would give you the prompt of "From save point" or "From Chapter Start" which would prevent situations like this. Here you just get sent back to your doomed save and you can't select which chapter to start from like you can in the newer Ace Attorney games.

This is a huge deal and massive oversight by Capcom. I'm really surprised people aren't making more noise at Capcom about this.

You have multiple save slots. Use them people, especially if you get the feeling you're in a tight spot.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's been said time and time again, but I'm so jealous of all of you playing this for the first time.

I'm also so happy that these games are more wildly available for everyone to enjoy. Oh, and If you all are loving these games, make sure to give Ghost Trick a shot. As much as I love AA , I think that game is Shu Takumi's magnum opus.
Great would be an understatement. There is a very strong argument for the final case of AA2 being the best of them all.
while going through that case, I never could understand this sentiment... That was until I saw that final scene. Then I was "oh absolutely!" 😢

OP
OP
Papercuts

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's been said time and time again, but I'm so jealous of all of you playing this for the first time.

I'm also so happy that these games are more wildly available for everyone to enjoy. Oh, and If you all are loving these games, make sure to give Ghost Trick a shot. As much as I love AA , I think that game is Shu Takumi's magnum opus.
while going through that case, I never could understand this sentiment... That was until I saw that final scene. Then I was "oh absolutely!" 😢

I feel like AA is full of big standout single moments, and that case has THE moment for me.

The reveal when Matt Engarde pushes his hair back and shows the scar. G O D D A M N.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing this game on Xbox One and absolutely loving it. The game is extraordinary!!!

I really hope more games like this get ported over to Xbox... I was always sad that the Zero Escape series skipped the console. Hopefully Capcom ports Miles Edgeworth and some later Ace Attorney games.

I used to LOVE these games when I played on DS, so I have a question about Ace Attorney Case #3 (i.e. the third case in the first game).

Why did I keep expecting that in the third case of game #1, I'd have to inspect the incinerator near Studio #2? Was that present in the original DS game and then it got cut in this Xbox version? Or am I misremembering my past experience with the DS game? I kept expecting that I'd find and interact with some kind of cloth hanging outside the incinerator, and that never happened on Xbox.

I have a suspicion that maybe Justice For All or Trials & Tribulations revisits this same location, but I'd rather not spoil myself and look that up...

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I'm playing this game on Xbox One and absolutely loving it. The game is extraordinary!!!

I really hope more games like this get ported over to Xbox... I was always sad that the Zero Escape series skipped the console. Hopefully Capcom ports Miles Edgeworth and some later Ace Attorney games.

I used to LOVE these games when I played on DS, so I have a question about Ace Attorney Case #3 (i.e. the third case in the first game).

Why did I keep expecting that in the third case of game #1, I'd have to inspect the incinerator near Studio #2? Was that present in the original DS game and then it got cut in this Xbox version? Or am I misremembering my past experience with the DS game? I kept expecting that I'd find and interact with some kind of cloth hanging outside the incinerator, and that never happened on Xbox.

I have a suspicion that maybe Justice For All or Trials & Tribulations revisits this same location, but I'd rather not spoil myself and look that up...

You're thinking of a different case in a different location. You'll know it when you see it.

Oct 25, 2017
Never played these games, but grabbed the PC release a couple days ago. Just finished the first game (I think).

Having such a good time with it. Honestly, haven't had this much fun with a VN style game since Zero Escape.

Oct 25, 2017
Never played these games, but grabbed the PC release a couple days ago. Just finished the first game (I think).

Having such a good time with it. Honestly, haven't had this much fun with a VN style game since Zero Escape.
Third game might be my favorite VN ever but it doesn't really land unless you've played the first two.

You're in for a treat

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
I am really re-enjoying these a lot. I really hope this gives way to a professor Layton remake like PW playing these on the small screen now hurts my eyes darn old age.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
While that's a bad situation to be in, you can skip through text very quickly by holding B (on an Xbox controller). If you remember all the steps you took to get that far, it shouldn't take too terribly long to get back to where you were.

Yeah, I just put a spoiler-free guide on the side and got back to where I was rather quickly.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
How does the auto save works exactly? I left the game after examining the office and talking to the police detective in Ep2 but I had to close the app on my Switch so when I loaded my save I was back at the beginning of Episode 2...

I just noticed that there's a manual save in the options...

Also is there any ways to make the cursor move quicker around the screen?

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got to admit I'm struggling to get through this. I've only just made it through the Samurai case of the first game, and hopefully that is one of the weaker ones as I found it so dull and constantly retreading locations got old quick. I think these games might not be for me.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished AA1. I can't remember how much of these games I played. I definitely Played 1, but I have memories of the prosecutors from the other two games as well. It might be a cultural osmosis thing though.

Either way, I hope they port more of the series to Switch. Somehow I never played Apollo Justice and I completely missed that they had released more games on the 3DS

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm hoping we see a compilation of the latter three games on HD platforms soon. I'd rather not have to make some room on my 3DS to download them.

OP
OP
Papercuts

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Got to admit I'm struggling to get through this. I've only just made it through the Samurai case of the first game, and hopefully that is one of the weaker ones as I found it so dull and constantly retreading locations got old quick. I think these games might not be for me.

I'd atleast try case 4. If the stuff that happens in the second day don't appeal to you, the series probably won't really hit for you at any point.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Okay. Started JFA today and just wrapped up with 2-2. Wow. All right. When the pieces started falling together, I said "no way" and then it totally happened. Freaking great episode! Although, having looked through the thread it looks like the next case is one of the weaker ones? Turnabout Big Top eh. That's okay, that last case was such a huge high.

And surprised at how long these games actually take to read and play through. I was at 15+ played for Ace Attorney, and JFA so far has bumped me over the 20+ mark. I'm so hooked!

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd atleast try case 4. If the stuff that happens in the second day don't appeal to you, the series probably won't really hit for you at any point.

Yeah, due to a completely plan-free bank holiday, I stuck with it and case 4 is a massive improvement. I do like the game mechanics and if you accept that sometimes you have to randomly visit locations, to advance the plot, it makes it less annoying. I think I have to also accept that the cases will vary in terms of overall quality.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, due to a completely plan-free bank holiday, I stuck with it and case 4 is a massive improvement. I do like the game mechanics and if you accept that sometimes you have to randomly visit locations, to advance the plot, it makes it less annoying. I think I have to also accept that the cases will vary in terms of overall quality.
It's generally not really random, the game is pretty good at telling you where to go most of the time ("I should go talk to our client about this." etc...) or you encounter new developments because you can only move along the map routes and events ambush you on the way.

And yes, quality varies. For example the 2-2 2-3 2-4 sequence is a bit of a rollercoaster.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing thru this trilogy on Switch and it is as fun as ever. The charm and absurdity are just turned up to 11 for every single interaction.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want as many newcomers' thoughts on 2-4 as possible if anyone doesn't mind, which I consider to be the best of this trilogy. In fact I'd be up for making a thread in a couple of weeks to see what y'all think is the best case here. Maybe on the month anniversary (I know that doesn't make any sense lol). I suspect that 3-5 will still reign supreme but I might be surprised.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's generally not really random, the game is pretty good at telling you where to go most of the time ("I should go talk to our client about this." etc...) or you encounter new developments because you can only move along the map routes and events ambush you on the way.

Yeah, chapter 3 felt a lot more try and error to me though, even when it came to the trial. I certainly had to reload a few times and I hadn't needed to in other chapters. It definitely felt like a low point to me, but as I say, 4 is damn good.

Unknown837

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm doing a complete replay of all games except DGS, have played all of them upto Dual Destinies. Was wondering on when to play AA4 in relation to AA Investigations 1-2.

I know release order is AA4 first but maybe Investigations would flow better going before the second trilogy and the timeskip that follows in AA4. Anyone have any thoughts.?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
2-4 Now this is the kind of case I've been waiting for. Hell yes. This is exactly what I've wanted

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Finished 1-4. Karma continues the streak of memorably animated characters, and his objection sound effect was great. Nice to hear good things about 1-5. I was honestly confused at how 1-4 wasn't the end of the game until I learned 1-5 was added in a re-release.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Case 1-5 is so long. It feels like I'm near the end. And I feel like I'm just about to finish a lengthy open-world game with how long 1-5 has taken. Wow!

Stoked. Will be starting 2-1 later tonight!

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
As someone who has this game on the 3ds. Are the upgrades worth it to go ahead and upgrade?. Or maybe just wait for a sale.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
2-4 was good but based on the reactions I thought it would have been 10 times more interesting than it was. Again it was good but compared to what I played before there was nothing crazy or better written honestly.

The narrative differences didn't end up having any effect on the normal mechanics.

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
2-4 was good but based on the reactions I thought it would have been 10 times more interesting than it was. Again it was good but compared to what I played before there was nothing crazy or better written honestly.

The narrative differences didn't end up having any effect on the normal mechanics.

Although it seems like one of the best cases objectively speaking (story, twist, etc. ) 3.4 paired with 3.5 were so much more immersive imho.
So maybe those will be more to your liking. :)

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
To be clear I really enjoyed it but I was expecting some sort of real craziness lol. 2-2 still had the craziest twist so far with the Metal Gear Solid style
surgery
twist

Oct 27, 2017
It's been so long that it's new again. This game and Ouendan made me go from being not too interested in a DS to wanting one desperately.

I finished AA1 about a week ago - 1-5 is such a good case. The additions to the site investigations and the addition of so much evidence makes the investigation phases feel a lot more fun. Other than my frustration at repeatedly failing to
rotate the vase to match the blue badger silhouette so that the game would accept it,
I love how involved that case is.

I'm taking a breather for a while before starting JFA. It's great to see people in here enjoying the series for the first time.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's somethings wrong with me, cause I don't really see anything special in 2-4, and I absolutely loathe 1-5.

Also I don't think 2-3 is that bad at all.

On the other hand, 1-4 and 3-5 are my absolute favorites, they're fantastic.

Oct 25, 2017
I love 1-4, 1-5, and 2-4 but the 3rd game is just in another dimension.

3-1, 3-4, and 3-5 are the BEST, and also 3-2 is the best "filler" case.

xGeneral Ice

Nov 1, 2017
God damn did the last case in the third game fucking eat at me.

It hurt my soul slowly figuring out what happened. I don't want to live on this planet where

Diego Bromando isn't in my life

Oct 25, 2017
its still a bummer they can't release a perfect version of this game. It's a solid version, but it makes the minor issues stand out more, like some sound effects not happening.