• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
Hey ResetERA, first post here! Awesome to finally make the transition :) New nickname here since someone beat me to using the old one I had since 2004 (pringles). But change isn't so bad eh? Wasn't so active in the photography threads the last few years, going to try and post most regularly here, starting off with some recent shots:

Most of my stuff is going to be cropped for instagram purposes since that's the main channel I use for my photography.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Hey ResetERA, first post here! Awesome to finally make the transition :) New nickname here since someone beat me to using the old one I had since 2004 (pringles). But change isn't so bad eh? Wasn't so active in the photography threads the last few years, going to try and post most regularly here, starting off with some recent shots.

Beatiful stuff.
The different light sources really bring it to another level.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Great shots so far.

I hope Im not derailing this thread, and if there actually is a separate thread for what Im asking then please link me to it.
But are there any good resources to learning how to take good professional photos?
I think nothing beats trial and error, the first thing you need to do is master your camera with manual settings and shoot everything and shoot often, you'll eventually lean towards something specifically. I started shooting an iguana and spiders in my back yard 5 years ago with an old ass canon and a really crappy lens. I now shoot weddings and commercial stuff for a living, must of what i know is from practice and watching youtube. I buy a bunch of courses on creative live every year that i never watch.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think nothing beats trial and error, the first thing you need to do is master your camera with manual settings and shoot everything and shoot often, you'll eventually lean towards something specifically. I started shooting an iguana and spiders in my back yard 5 years ago with an old ass canon and a really crappy lens. I now shoot weddings and commercial stuff for a living, must of what i know is from practice and watching youtube. I buy a bunch of courses on creative live every year that i never watch.
Boy do I know that feeling lol.
Thanks for the advice.
Just need to get a camera now lol

Mooksoup

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Great to see the photography thread has moved over!

i'm messing about with a cheap filter messily smeared with vaseline, wanting indistinct blurriness fun. Think i need to go wander through the city at night for the full bleary drunken walk home vibe.

Actually wondering if i could use something more transparent, and really slick it on, and get less smear and more messy refraction?

37973681086_b57afb1fb0_z.jpg

38027384511_c08e237e0b_z.jpg

Wzrd

Oct 26, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Great to see the photography thread has moved over!

i'm messing about with a cheap filter messily smeared with vaseline, wanting indistinct blurriness fun. Think i need to go wander through the city at night for the full bleary drunken walk home vibe.

Actually wondering if i could use something more transparent, and really slick it on, and get less smear and more messy refraction?

37973681086_b57afb1fb0_z.jpg

38027384511_c08e237e0b_z.jpg
Really interesting looking. I really like the bottom photo. Almost like a hazy dream.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing can touch going out there shooting a bunch of shit, fucking up and learning why you fucked up. Those are the lessons that I think actually stick with you. I went from photographing a bunch of random nonsense to being a pretty darn good street and event photographer. I suck at posed pictures though.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Posing people is really hard,
Some people are good models naturally and some just aren't good at it, being a wedding photographer i've learned to make people relax and look good for me but i always use the enviroment for those. Posing a someone on a blank canvas now that is hard.

Oct 25, 2017
Posing people is really hard,
Some people are good models naturally and some just aren't good at it, being a wedding photographer i've learned to make people relax and look good for me but i always use the enviroment for those. Posing a someone on a blank canvas now that is hard.
Yeah it's a bit not fun at times. Sometimes I try and then they don't want to listen and stay stiff soulless bricks. At that point I just do my best to shoot around them. You don't like your pics then well stop being stiff.

Oct 28, 2017
I flipped through the first page but my work bandwidth cap will quickly get exceeded if I go through all of the pages thanks to all the images. I definitely will when I get home. But lately I've been considering taking up photography as a hobby. I'm sure I could Google something up, but honestly I kind of trust you all more. Are there any good resources for starting photography from scratch? I don't even have a camera (other than my iPhone) and I wouldn't want to just jump into it blind, but I definitely am interested in it.

Oct 25, 2017
I flipped through the first page but my work bandwidth cap will quickly get exceeded if I go through all of the pages thanks to all the images. I definitely will when I get home. But lately I've been considering taking up photography as a hobby. I'm sure I could Google something up, but honestly I kind of trust you all more. Are there any good resources for starting photography from scratch? I don't even have a camera (other than my iPhone) and I wouldn't want to just jump into it blind, but I definitely am interested in it.
Youtube is your friend.

BumbleBee

Oct 29, 2017
Beautiful pictures ya posted. I don't do photography, but I like to check out the pictures people post, so I might hang out here from time to time.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Watch some videos from KelbyOne, FroKnowsPhoto, The Art of Photography, PeterMcKinnon, Matt Granger, Jason Lanier, Eric Kim, Thomas Heaton, and MangoStreet on Youtube.

Learn how pros/semi-pros "see" (ie: composition and lighting) first, especially if you're just shooting with an iPhone for now. Once/if you get a camera, learn aperture, ISO, and shutter speed and how they work together.

frostburg

Oct 30, 2017
yemuxj.jpg

(Contax G2, Zeiss Planar 45/2, Adox CMS 20 II Pro in Adotech III, Plustek 8100)

lvezra.jpg

(Contax G2, Zeiss Biogon 28/2.8, Ilford PanF+ 50 in Neofin Blue, Plustek 8100)

Last edited:

PeetFeet

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not great with landscapes (I'm never happy with the sharpness, or sure how to crop), but here's one from a trip to Scotland a couple of months ago.

37997907546_c2021e7ddf_o.jpg

Argyle Coast

And a photo when experimenting with light painting.

37997907736_f56b6f4a39_o.jpg

Light Paint (Self Portrait)

Last edited:

fengshuifever

Oct 25, 2017
Throwing my horseshoe in here as well.

Started up again after not having picked up a camera for like....6-7 years and a friend gave me his A6000.
Been getting into again and really wanna start going out more to find some good spots around Brisbane/meet up with some other photographers around to do some night shots.
Here's a couple of shots:

38022292592_20e7ff0c4b_c.jpg

38053337061_239563e2d1_b.jpg

38022296362_daabd0a1f2_b.jpg

38053333021_a62c30e6d8_b.jpg

37343903074_5a46f7d2ec_b.jpg

frostburg

Oct 30, 2017
zcmmmt.jpg

(Contax AX, Zeiss Sonnar 135/2.8, Agfa Scala 200X black and white slide film, Plustek 8100)

szyceh.jpg

(Contax AX, Zeiss Sonnar 135/2.8, Agfa Scala 200X black and white slide film, Plustek 8100)

nqohip.jpg

(Contax AX, Zeiss Planar 50/1.7, Agfa Scala 200X black and white slide film, Plustek 8100)

Also, since film might yet be too mainstream, foveon sensors:
wmjmnk.jpg

(Sigma DP3 Merrill)

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got my first off camera flash (Godox XT-1 S transmitter and Godox V860 II S flash) and am planning to give it a spin tonight while out trick or treating with the kids. Total flash newbie, so I'm worried if I can even get any good shots.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Got my first off camera flash (Godox XT-1 S transmitter and Godox V860 II S flash) and am planning to give it a spin tonight while out trick or treating with the kids. Total flash newbie, so I'm worried I'll get any good shots.
I got the 685, the recycle time is slow in my opinion, but other than that it's pretty good. The transmitter really helps with portraits. I didn't realize how much I'd like being able to dial the flash down without having to walk over to the flash and lowering it. It will come in handy if I ever get one of those softbox umbrellas.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
JadedWriter

I've found I'm typically too scared to take photos of people in public. I've read a few tips/articles, and strategies, but what are yours? Do you figure that in such a public place with that many people, it doesn't matter to most?

Oct 25, 2017
JadedWriter

I've found I'm typically too scared to take photos of people in public. I've read a few tips/articles, and strategies, but what are yours? Do you figure that in such a public place with that many people, it doesn't matter to most?
The more you do it the more comfortable you get and use some common sense. I've gotten decent at keeping a respectful distance...for the most part and being sneaky. It's mostly a trial and error thing. Luckily I haven't been swung on yet.

SigEpTendo

Oct 27, 2017
The Shadows
Amazing shots in this thread so far! My wife and I do some photography as a side-hustle, we dabble with just about everything (portraiture, events, sports, etc.) except for weddings, but our passion lies in wildlife photography. Excited to share with you all.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm on mobile and took and Edited on mobile so apologies if this actually looks shit on normal screens

38189144556_0253fa232a_b.jpg

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
PeetFeet those are fabulous

A pic from my hiking trip today

Just returned from a quick trip. First share in the new Era.

I'm on mobile and took and Edited on mobile so apologies if this actually looks shit on normal screens

These are all really great! Nice work.

Finally took some photos the other night. Which it was a little less foggy though.

Light trails on a rainy evening in the fall
by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

Light trails on a rainy evening in the fall
by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
Yay photography thread! Haven't done much photography lately, and it feels I've gotten worse at it, but I did go crazy acquiring 35mm Nikon bodies. Bought a Nikon FE/FA/F4/N80. Manual focusing be scary and my eyes are bad as well! Haha.

Basically, I'm new to film. Where does one send film to be developed? Or do you guys prefer a CD with high resolution images? Nashville kind of sucks for this.

Fuji Pro 400H - Nikon FE - 50mm f/1.8 by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr

candide

Oct 30, 2017
Back when I was still shooting (slide) film I was sending it to http://northcoastphoto.com/
While I still don't think I can get as nice colors in photoshop as I did with velvias or ektachromes, everything else is so much easier in digital.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Wow. I came in to this thread expecting to see a couple good photographers. Boy, was I wrong. I'm blown away by the images here. Most excellent.

Here are a few of mine from the past couple of years.

renmin sides by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

straight through by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

peeled by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

best colour (1 of 1) by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

no make up by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

up high 6 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

huaihai sil 4 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

overpower 2 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

Oct 25, 2017
This stuff is incredible. Very striking. You almost always post people shots, so this took me by surprise.
Thank you. I do and can photograph other things. I just don't always post them. Another photographer I know always breaks my balls whenever I post a non street portrait on my instagram so I sort of just keep them non shared. I have posted landscapes on here though and people tend to not say anything about them.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Thank you. I do and can photograph other things. I just don't always post them. Another photographer I know always breaks my balls whenever I post a non street portrait on my instagram so I sort of just keep them non shared. I have posted landscapes on here though and people tend to not say anything about them.
I think the latest set is a real strength of yours so I hope you share them more often