• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about Instagram and I don't even see anyone pimping their profile. As always, I'm on there @crossingchina. I know I follow Jaded and a few others here.

Finished my trip to Myanmar and I guess I'll be posting in batches everyday. Took way too many pictures overall, and way too many portraits specifically. Didn't really focus on much else. Me and a photog friend were there together and that's pretty much all he shoots, so I kind of just went along for the ride in that sense. I also made a little travel vlog I'm editing still and will share when it's done if anyone is interested.

Bagan Shadows BW by Eric, on Flickr

Bagan Farm by Eric, on Flickr

Bagan Street Portrait Series by Eric, on Flickr

Toungoo Street Portrait Series by Eric, on Flickr

Bagan by Eric, on Flickr

Finished the video, here it is if anyone is interested. All filmed on Iphone 6S and X. Some of it we used a stabilizer but I gotta figure out a better system for carrying my 5D and shooting video. Hard to juggle the camera and the gimbal. Need to get some straps or something. Open to suggestions if anyone has faced this issue before.

Edit: Video blocked by UMG on copyright grounds lol. Will change some music and reupload.

Edit 3: Hope that one works.

You might want to get a smaller mirrorless and a gimbal for vlogging stuff, just due to how weight sensitive a 5D3 would be on a stabilizer.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what you're focusing on but it's soft as fuck.

I'm not accustom to such a long lens, I shot most of this at a pretty slow shutter speed for such a long lens. Most of the people that view my photos are on Instagram, so I'm not bothered by it. I think they both look fine if you're not pixel peeping.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah there are moments that I don't care if the picture conveys the right mood but I'm just used to doing it for work and client stuff.

I actually edit on a 4k monitor, so I'm usually editing photos at 100% or a little under, but the size of the screen gives you some natural antialiasing that makes things look fine. I'm just a hobbyist so I don't care. If I was carrying around glass that cost $2k and was trying to sell my photos I might, but that's not my life.

Edit: Sharpening, not antialiasing. D'oh.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I actually edit on a 4k monitor, so I'm usually editing photos at 100% or a little under, but the size of the screen gives you some natural antialiasing that makes things look fine. I'm just a hobbyist so I don't care. If I was carrying around glass that cost $2k and was trying to sell my photos I might, but that's not my life.
Yeah I get it. I do it for a mix of fun and extra income/work so I think the way I just go about it is just different.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I know I don't post here a lot, but with it coming up on Saturday, I thought I'd drop a link to Scott Kelby's annual photowalk here. Basically, it's a coordinated worldwide free photowalk. It's been several years since I've done one, and I can't even do a full one this year, but I signed up anyway because I should be able to get an hour to 90 minutes of it in. The walk leaders are kind of hit or miss in my experience, but I've enjoyed the photowalk anyway each time I've done it.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Hey guys, I know I don't post here a lot, but with it coming up on Saturday, I thought I'd drop a link to Scott Kelby's annual photowalk here. Basically, it's a coordinated worldwide free photowalk. It's been several years since I've done one, and I can't even do a full one this year, but I signed up anyway because I should be able to get an hour to 90 minutes of it in. The walk leaders are kind of hit or miss in my experience, but I've enjoyed the photowalk anyway each time I've done it.

Thanks for posting this. I am going to be in Chicago this Saturday for a concert and I was planning on going early to play around. The weather is supposed to be nasty but if not I might join a Chicago group.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The one walk in Bangkok is currently "full" so I guess I won't go, but thanks for the link. Seems fun.

More from Myanmar (Burma)

Mandalay Streets by Eric, on Flickr

Gecko Light and Dark by Eric, on Flickr

Mandalay by Eric, on Flickr

Girl Monks in Mandalay by Eric, on Flickr

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to follow up and say: man this lens is trash. It's soft as fuck constantly. It has the narrowest sweet spot of like any lens I've ever used.

Tamron 18-200 e-mount is a big avoid.
Most super zooms like these are not sharp. I have a Sigma 18-250mm, and I like the lens for it's versitility and casual shooting, but it is indeed soft. I have to stop down to like 7.1/8 for it to get good sharpness, but that only works well if you're doing like an outdoor shoot lest your ISO goes too high.

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to follow up and say: man this lens is trash. It's soft as fuck constantly. It has the narrowest sweet spot of like any lens I've ever used.

Tamron 18-200 e-mount is a big avoid.
Most super zooms like these are not sharp. I have a Sigma 18-250mm, and I like the lens for it's versitility and casual shooting, but it is indeed soft. I have to stop down to like 7.1/8 for it to get good sharpness, but that only works well if you're doing like an outdoor shoot lest your ISO goes too high.
This is why I don't own a single super zoom I do event and portrait work. Stuff like this is pretty much just a waste of money.

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
A warmer tone that I'm used to from you. That's not a bad thing though, because I favor warm tones myself. Nice set.

I also wonder if the D810 is old tech then my T5i must be ancient lol.

Oct 25, 2017
A warmer tone that I'm used to from you. That's not a bad thing though, because I favor warm tones myself. Nice set.

I also wonder if the D810 is old tech then my T5i must be ancient lol.
The day was overcast so I honestly just left it warm to give some life to it. That and she's Indian, cooling it down would've messed with her skin tone too much. Also by old tech I'm just using it as a general term for dslr's these days. It's like they're almost frowned up based on YouTubers. I actually did a test and they look good cooled down as well, guess I just didn't want to edit the same way that I usually do.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jaded, I see why you do so much photography in your free time. I've been in New York City for the last few days (first time) and this place is infinitely photographable. So many great opportunities to get cool shots. I wish I had more time to just explore, but alas, I am here for work primarily.

Oct 25, 2017
Jaded, I see why you do so much photography in your free time. I've been in New York City for the last few days (first time) and this place is infinitely photographable. So many great opportunities to get cool shots. I wish I had more time to just explore, but alas, I am here for work primarily.
Yeah there are a lot of great places to explore around here. You should have hit me up. I also do it because it's fun and to just keep the craft honed. Nothing worse to me than too much down time.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
45154636991_a104e38a68_c.jpg

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Took some shots with the Fujinon 56mm 1.2 this weekend - these are SOOC with the Classic Chrome film preset, with Grain Simulation to WEAK.

I was going for that Kodachrome/film look but I think the grain is too strong even though it's on weak - agree/disagree?

gsIRCE4.jpg

18F4IIp.jpg

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The grain just looks weird, especially in the greens. Would be far better to add the grain in post instead of in camera anyways.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
The grain just looks weird, especially in the greens. Would be far better to add the grain in post instead of in camera anyways.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I only use these settings so I can quickly share via IG or whatever SOOC. For any real "keepers" or ones I'm gonna print, I'll actually post-process from scratch.

In this case even for the quick OOC IG share I feel like I'll stick with the film simulations but just remove the grain, it's just too much

Oct 25, 2017
Took some shots with the Fujinon 56mm 1.2 this weekend - these are SOOC with the Classic Chrome film preset, with Grain Simulation to WEAK.

I was going for that Kodachrome/film look but I think the grain is too strong even though it's on weak - agree/disagree?

gsIRCE4.jpg

18F4IIp.jpg
I want to take that lens out for a real portrait session, but I do like that lens. Yeah it's a bit to grainy in the skin areas, I usually just go with whatever grain the iso gives me at this point.

Deleted member 6562

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to the pumpkin patch and took some pictures. The light was crap for most of them, but it did get bright enough for a bit to get this picture. In hindsight I wish I would have "fixed" the pumpkin in the lower right (replaced it with one without a broken stem)...maybe even use a smaller fstop too to get more in focus?

ello-optimized-321c9af3.jpg

Last edited:

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I only use these settings so I can quickly share via IG or whatever SOOC. For any real "keepers" or ones I'm gonna print, I'll actually post-process from scratch.

In this case even for the quick OOC IG share I feel like I'll stick with the film simulations but just remove the grain, it's just too much
In general, I never shoot with a setting on that I can't remove later, like baked in JPEG grain. Every app known to man can add grain, but you can't take bad grain away.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
In general, I never shoot with a setting on that I can't remove later, like baked in JPEG grain. Every app known to man can add grain, but you can't take bad grain away.
Same reason I never shoot anything in Black and White or with a color filter on it. There's no reason to do so in digital photography besides novelty factor.

Oct 25, 2017
Same reason I never shoot anything in Black and White or with a color filter on it. There's no reason to do so in digital photography besides novelty factor.
Not true; using in camera settings that apply to your jpegs is useful even when you plan on processing RAW files, though not for any "technical" reasons.

It's really useful if you have a certain aspects ratio in mind, or are deliberately shooting in, for example, black and white. If your intent is to take a black and white photo, and not as an afterthought, it helps tremendously to see right there in the moment what a good approximation of your final intended image would look like. I know I do a much better job of composing black and white images when I'm shooting them with film simulations applied.

Additionally, some photos would look like crap in color, and some like crap in BW. Having the appropriate one set will help you evaluate on the fly what will work.

Hell I wish I could in camera crop to 21:9 or 3:1.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Not true; using in camera settings that apply to your jpegs is useful even when you plan on processing RAW files, though not for any "technical" reasons.

It's really useful if you have a certain aspects ratio in mind, or are deliberately shooting in, for example, black and white. If your intent is to take a black and white photo, and not as an afterthought, it helps tremendously to see right there in the moment what a good approximation of your final intended image would look like. I know I do a much better job of composing black and white images when I'm shooting them with film simulations applied.

Additionally, some photos would look like crap in color, and some like crap in BW. Having the appropriate one set will help you evaluate on the fly what will work.

Hell I wish I could in camera crop to 21:9 or 3:1.

Yeah I shoot RAW+JPEG. In this case I use the Film Simulation modes for a quick OOC share via Wifi to post on IG or whatever. Then my keepers I process in RAW (and in some cases I might apply that same film simulation in Lightroom if I like it enough and then refine from there)

B&W is a big reason. I love shooting in Acros film mode and then later seeing if I also like the color version, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I shoot RAW+JPEG. In this case I use the Film Simulation modes for a quick OOC share via Wifi to post on IG or whatever. Then my keepers I process in RAW (and in some cases I might apply that same film simulation in Lightroom if I like it enough and then refine from there)

B&W is a big reason. I love shooting in Acros film mode and then later seeing if I also like the color version, etc.
Since getting the XT2 I've pretty much just gone with the JPGs, but since LR has what seems to be pretty darn accurate copies of the Fuji films, I'm open to using it to "tweak" the contrast and saturation etc.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Since getting the XT2 I've pretty much just gone with the JPGs, but since LR has what seems to be pretty darn accurate copies of the Fuji films, I'm open to using it to "tweak" the contrast and saturation etc.

Yeah totally - I just like in RAW being able to recover detail, or applying graduated/radial/brush filters, etc.

But the film simulations are so damn fun - in general I find myself doing heavy post-processing less and less and just shooting.

If it's architecture or the light isn't great or it's street or whatever I'll shoot B&W. For landscape I'll use Provia or Velvia, and I'll use Classic Chrome when it feels right

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah totally - I just like in RAW being able to recover detail, or applying graduated/radial/brush filters, etc.

But the film simulations are so damn fun - in general I find myself doing heavy post-processing less and less and just shooting.

If it's architecture or the light isn't great or it's street or whatever I'll shoot B&W. For landscape I'll use Provia or Velvia, and I'll use Classic Chrome when it feels right
I find myself in Acros a LOT. I think the only reason that I didn't do BW on the Sony is because the shading SOOC vs Lightroom were *wildly* different. If it's something colorful I'll do Velvia, and I've been trying to find uses for Chrome.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly have very little use for any preset besides Acros, but I have a few black and white presets that I've tweaked over the years that I tend to enjoy a little more across the board. Presets like Velvia are just so nonrealistic that I have a hard time using them.

Nov 13, 2017
I usually shoot in Acros a lot because black and white seems to give a good idea of the lighting you are getting. Even if the final edit may be in color.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Some images from MET. It was my first time visiting and I must say, it was quite an incredible museum. I really wished I had more time to explore it!

DSC09541
by zefah85, on Flickr

DSC09565
by zefah85, on Flickr

DSC09602
by zefah85, on Flickr

DSC09605
by zefah85, on Flickr

DSC09612
by zefah85, on Flickr

DSC09701
by zefah85, on Flickr

DSC09710
by zefah85, on Flickr

DSC09722
by zefah85, on Flickr

DSC09751
by zefah85, on Flickr

DSC09787
by zefah85, on Flickr

DSC09816
by zefah85, on Flickr
It's been ages since I photographed inside of a museum, glad you enjoyed it.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017

This is why I don't own a single super zoom I do event and portrait work. Stuff like this is pretty much just a waste of money.

I expected it to be in the ballpark of the 16-55 e-mount kit lens performance wise, but it fell way short of that even. I'm starting to see the use of carrying multiple bodies with multiple primes. I was hiking around a lot and wanted to be able to have a ND filter permanently attached to my Sigma 16mm 1.4 and leave the Tamron to do all my non-long exposure shooting, but it just wasn't up to my expectations really. So I spent a lot of time taking the ND filter on and off and on and off and it was just a pain in the ass. I think I need one body with the 16mm on it, and a second with a medium range 35-50mm prime on it.