• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing that tumblr will most likely kick the bucket in less than a year after the latest news, anywhere else I should start taking a look at to host my portfolio with some basic social features? Highly appreciated if it doesn't censor adult content in case sometime down the road I decide to go that route (even for just a particular pic or two). I'm OK with paying a reasonable fee if necessary, but I really don't know where to start looking. Already tried Squarespace some time ago and I felt it was extremely limiting if you didn't pay out of the ass.

OP
OP
Cheddahz

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
Dtgm3fnX4AA5YUx.jpg

contempt

ello / flickr / instagram

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing that tumblr will most likely kick the bucket in less than a year after the latest news, anywhere else I should start taking a look at to host my portfolio with some basic social features? Highly appreciated if it doesn't censor adult content in case sometime down the road I decide to go that route (even for just a particular pic or two). I'm OK with paying a reasonable fee if necessary, but I really don't know where to start looking. Already tried Squarespace some time ago and I felt it was extremely limiting if you didn't pay out of the ass.

I did some searching and decided that Flickr was the best option for me overall. Most reasonable pricing considering the service, too.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I did some searching and decided that Flickr was the best option for me overall. Most reasonable pricing considering the service, too.

Is there a way to get a personalised URL on flickr to share out-of-site or get in a watermark to properly direct people outside Flickr to my work without using URL shorteners or long ass links? Last time I checked it was honestly a PITA, and that's what I like the most from tumblr. Just your username dot tumblr dot com and there you have it, already formatted and personalised as an actual web page.

Edit: I'm getting more and more fond of the idea of just setting up a personal hosting, domain and one-click wordpress installation for a fraction of squarespace/flickr cost and just roll with it. And guess what? The sooner I rip that band-aid out, the better and less painful it will be to migrate. I'm getting increasingly tired of third party services constantly changing their content TOS around, arbitrarily switching up the free tier privileges and pretty much feeling like "this might end up blowing up and dying or starting asking for an inordinate amount of money in less than xx months so I might as well not fully depend on it"

Last edited:

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can't believe people were still using using Tumblr in 2018. That site has been far off my radar for years, but sounds like maybe they had some unique services to offer.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't had a lot of time to edit photos cuz I've been riding my bike pretty much all day everyday with my friend across Guangxi Province. Also been flying the drone every chance I can haha. It's addictive as hell even not taking photos or videos, just flying around and seeing what's out there. When I finish the trip I'll see what's in the trusty 5D. Probably not much good stuff. The drone has been taking up all my extra time. Here's a couple shots I managed to edit quickly on the road.

Jinchengjiang City Sunset by Eric, on Flickr

Liuzhou Morning by Eric, on Flickr

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ha Vern I was just looking at those on Flickr, the Hasselblad drone seems to be fantastic. That Liuzhou shot is awesome.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ha Vern I was just looking at those on Flickr, the Hasselblad drone seems to be fantastic. That Liuzhou shot is awesome.

Yea it's actually a pretty good little camera. Seriously impressive machine all around. Wish I would have bought a drone years ago. I seriously put it up every chance I get. I think I have a problem.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stumbled into this video about the Tone Curve tool in LR, feeling like a dunce, never knew you could control RGB values independently on it. Pretty neat vid.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Stumbled into this video about the Tone Curve tool in LR, feeling like a dunce, never knew you could control RGB values independently on it. Pretty neat vid.

LR has some pretty nifty tricks that most people never mess with. For instance, under Calibration you can change the skew and saturation (it's more like purity, really) of the sensor color primaries. Through that you can emulate the color response of other cameras - for instance, to get the "Canon look".

Oct 25, 2017
LR has some pretty nifty tricks that most people never mess with. For instance, under Calibration you can change the skew and saturation (it's more like purity, really) of the sensor color primaries. Through that you can emulate the color response of other cameras - for instance, to get the "Canon look".
I mess around with tone curve and color saturation and luminence sliders.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
So this made it to Flickr Explore. It's my first. I am confused, but whatever.
44411449800_9955c5e549_b.jpg

I actually prefer the color version.
45504669014_3837347406_b.jpg

Some other recents:
32376234118_12104d175e_b.jpg

32376179638_e20c9f76c1_b.jpg

46248550341_a023c10b7b_b.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
The stuff Flickr puts on explore is random I swear. It's usually just landscape and animal shots. I got there once with a street photography shot.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you'll indulge me, and I'm admittedly no expert at portraiture, but this pic works for me and most of the others don't for a few reasons (this applies to the last few batches you've posted).

1) The ones that really work are when she's looking at the camera. If I'm looking at a portrait, I follow their eyes. If they are looking at me, I'm looking at them. If they are looking to the top corner of the frame, my eyes move there, and now the picture isn't so much about her.

2) This ties into 1, if she is looking elsewhere and there is no obvious subject of her gaze, I fall into studying the background, and in many of these, you have some HOT background, some made of mostly lightbulb bokeh balls. It's harsh and offputting and makes me wonder just what the point of the photo is.

3) Not sure if you're directing her poses, but if you are, I'd deepen your bag of poses to give them, as for lack of a better word, they have been "samey" across the last few sets...touch the side of the head, look up and to the right at 45 degrees, etc. This isn't to say they are bad, it's just I feel that more can be done with her, because there have been some really great shots where she seems engaged.

Overall, I think you're doing good stuff but some posing tweaks and a little more attention to the backgrounds (and ultimately what the true focus of the photo is) would help tremendously with not a lot of extra effort on your part.

Feel free to ignore all this since my main focus is taking pictures of dirt and rocks ;-)

Oct 25, 2017
If you'll indulge me, and I'm admittedly no expert at portraiture, but this pic works for me and most of the others don't for a few reasons (this applies to the last few batches you've posted).

1) The ones that really work are when she's looking at the camera. If I'm looking at a portrait, I follow their eyes. If they are looking at me, I'm looking at them. If they are looking to the top corner of the frame, my eyes move there, and now the picture isn't so much about her.

2) This ties into 1, if she is looking elsewhere and there is no obvious subject of her gaze, I fall into studying the background, and in many of these, you have some HOT background, some made of mostly lightbulb bokeh balls. It's harsh and offputting and makes me wonder just what the point of the photo is.

3) Not sure if you're directing her poses, but if you are, I'd deepen your bag of poses to give them, as for lack of a better word, they have been "samey" across the last few sets...touch the side of the head, look up and to the right at 45 degrees, etc. This isn't to say they are bad, it's just I feel that more can be done with her, because there have been some really great shots where she seems engaged.

Overall, I think you're doing good stuff but some posing tweaks and a little more attention to the backgrounds (and ultimately what the true focus of the photo is) would help tremendously with not a lot of extra effort on your part.

Feel free to ignore all this since my main focus is taking pictures of dirt and rocks ;-)
Sometimes she just seems to drift off a bit. I should probably do more to get her attention then. I'm a bit bad with pose directing. Though I'll admit I can't exactly win here because I remember comments about the model looking at the camera too much. I guess before we start shooting we should go over one of her fashion mags and see if there's something she would like to recreate.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes she just seems to drift off a bit. I should probably do more to get her attention then. I'm a bit bad with pose directing. Though I'll admit I can't exactly win here because I remember comments about the model looking at the camera too much. I guess before we start shooting we should go over one of her fashion mags and see if there's something she would like to recreate.
Well, I've seen time and time again on photo sharing forums, some models just don't take to posing, and some do it very naturally with little direction. She could easily fall into the camp of "stiff", and whether or not people prefer eye contact with the camera is probably very subjective. Just wanted to give my 2 cents cause I think you're putting in a lot of work and deserve some detailed feedback. Wish I could be as prolific with my photography.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I've seen time and time again on photo sharing forums, some models just don't take to posing, and some do it very naturally with little direction. She could easily fall into the camp of "stiff", and whether or not people prefer eye contact with the camera is probably very subjective. Just wanted to give my 2 cents cause I think you're putting in a lot of work and deserve some detailed feedback. Wish I could be as prolific with my photography.
She doesn't exactly take to direction and I did bring it up yesterday. I am probably catching her on some very bad days since she's dealing with med school finals.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She doesn't exactly take to direction and I did bring it up yesterday. I am probably catching her on some very bad days since she's dealing with med school finals.
Wow, I can't believe she's doing this during that, my wife is currently in week 2 of med school finals and I'm not seeing her till midnight every day!

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time this dude pops up on my Explore page, I have to shake my head. How do so many people like this blatant abuse of the HSL sliders? The trees are literally bleeding.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, the Geminid meteor shower is currently ongoing and is expected to peak between the 13th - 14th of December.

Having never attempted to shoot a meteor shower before, any advice/tips would be welcome, such as what focal length, ISO and shutter speeds to use etc.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, the Geminid meteor shower is currently ongoing and is expected to peak between the 13th - 14th of December.

Having never attempted to shoot a meteor shower before, any advice/tips would be welcome, such as what focal length, ISO and shutter speeds to use etc.
Also the comet Wirtanen is supposed to be quite visible this week as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Okay, I'm going to show something I had never done before.
A couple weeks ago or so I shot a football match my brother played on film, using a Praktica Super TL1000, a Super Takumar 135mm f2.5, a Zeiss 50mm f2.8, and Ilford HP5+ 400, pushed to ISO 1600.
My brother just brought back some prints, and I couldn't wait to share them, so I just took photos of them with the digital camera. (He's studyng fine arts and he's the one with access to a lab, unfortunately when the lab is full it's difficult to get the best materials and the prints are a bit dirty, and he's also new to this, so forget the dirt on the print)

Running to get the ball by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

The Face-off by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

Goal? by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

There will be more coming, I took 26 shots of which 12/13 were keepers, so there's up to ten more that I haven't got digitally yet.
I've also done a bit of nude portraiture, but that's obviously not allowed here or on Flickr because think of the children. Now that I'm a bit less busy I'm going to be taking more photos and uploading them more regularly.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
A couple weeks ago or so I shot a football match my brother played on film, using a Praktica Super TL1000, a Super Takumar 135mm f2.5, a Zeiss 50mm f2.8, and Ilford HP5+ 400, pushed to ISO 1600.
My brother just brought back some prints, and I couldn't wait to share them, so I just took photos of them with the digital camera. (He's studyng fine arts and he's the one with access to a lab, unfortunately when the lab is full it's difficult to get the best materials and the prints are a bit dirty, and he's also new to this, so forget the dirt on the print)

There will be more coming, I took 26 shots of which 12/13 were keepers, so there's up to ten more that I haven't got digitally yet.
I've also done a bit of nude portraiture, but that's obviously not allowed here or on Flickr because think of the children. Now that I'm a bit less busy I'm going to be taking more photos and uploading them more regularly.
All of it is beautiful.

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017

Love this!! I need to try Ilford film.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Fiesta Barroca 2015. 1 by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

Fiesta Barroca 2016. 1 by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

Fiesta Barroca 2016. 2 by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

Fiesta Barroca 2016. 3 by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

Fiesta Barroca 2016. 4 by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

Fiesta Barroca 2016. 5 by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

Fiesta Barroca 2016. 6 by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

Fiesta Barroca 2016. 7 by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

Fiesta Barroca 2016. 8 by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

Fiesta Barroca 2016. 9 by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

Oldies but goldies. Some of the shit we do in my hometown.

(Been spending the Saturday setting up an external hard drive library with Smart Previews in Lightroom to save on internal drive space, with the added benefit of being able to go down memory lane and dig up old photos)

Last edited:

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I had a night out.
44521169340_8c5fe165e4_b.jpg

46287837692_e8ab69fbe7_b.jpg

I often can't decide on color or b&w--so I don't. (EDIT: Actually, I'm leaning color on the MvC shot.)
45614899594_19c5143078_b.jpg

45614889584_effe1a20d8_b.jpg

45614853684_bd378b2895_b.jpg

46338246341_f17397d492_b.jpg

Fat cat bonus:
45614984724_9d617ea3f5_b.jpg

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Some recent shots of mine.
DSCF1346 by Dylan Holter on flickr.

DSCF1423 by Dylan Holter on flickr.

DSCF1470 by Dylan Holter on flickr.

DSCF1387 by Dylan Holter on flickr.

Man. I was so excited for the new moon sky and I was not happy at all with what I got that night. Not sure if I didn't get the infinity setting right. Maybe the tripod was too light? (MeFoto Backpacker). Althought the light pollution over the city kinda worked to create something I liked a little, next time I'm going out west instead of east.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You also had ISO 3200 on fuji working against you. Really need to use a 1.2/1.4 lens on Fuji so you can keep the ISO between 800 and 1600.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Cool, thanks for the tip! Have the Rokinon 12mm in my wishlist; but will have to wait til after the holidays. I don't exactly know how in focus stars should be either, but I feel like it wasn't correct that night.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Astrophotography is truly what seems most challenging and even overwhelming to me. It's like, the challenge of doing landscape photography, only most probably in freezing cold, and in complete darkness, trying to focus and compose with the reference of your own ass, and needing super wide aperture lenses.
I have to say, I admire it.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, thanks for the tip! Have the Rokinon 12mm in my wishlist; but will have to wait til after the holidays. I don't exactly know how in focus stars should be either, but I feel like it wasn't correct that night.
You should always be using manual focus for this, so on the XT-3 you can punch in to magnify the EVF while in manual focus mode and that will help you tremendously. The only time I would not focus to infinity is if I was trying to get a sharp silhouette of the landscape. Usually at 12mm everything is in focus anyways :-P

Oct 25, 2017
Was looking through this set on Flickr, I like it. How do you have AF set up? I noticed in more than one the pic seemed front focused (jacket in critical focus vs eyes). I'm finding Sony AF to be the steepest learning curve so far.
A mix between flexible spot M and eye AF. The AF for Sony is...yes, the learning curve is pretty steep. Also some are in AF-S because the camera would hunt needlessly at times. This thing not having a joystick does get quite annoying, which is why I just used Eye AF at times.

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I've settled on too at the moment. It's crazy how fast and quiet C-AF EyeAF is on the 24-105. The adapted Canon is a totally different story, lol.
Yeah might also be the Sigma not being native, who knows to be honest. I think it got a little better when I switched from flexible spot S to be honest. I wonder if there's an update for this lens?