• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wajaa12

Apr 17, 2018

Hey, thanks for the inspiration. Was wondering on how i should edit this pic

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii6k3j.jpg
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit1j85.jpg

Herne

Dec 10, 2017

This is beautiful, well done.

chameleonic_by_rihani-ddba7b3.jpg

Never tried selective colour before. I initially edited this to be all monochrome but then I decided to give selective a go - it was one or the other as the background is a distractingly fake green. I know some don't like selective colour but i think it works alright on this one... not happy with the crop so I might remove some of that distance on the right, and I can see a spot or two that needs more work but Lightroom is being a pill at the moment so I am done for the day.

Any critique would be very welcome as always.

Last edited:

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Never tried selective colour before. I initially edited this to be all monochrome but then I decided to give selective a go - it was one or the other as the background is a distractingly fake green. I know some don't like selective colour but i think it works alright on this one... not happy with the crop so I might remove some of that distance on the right, and I can see a spot or two that needs more work but Lightroom is being a pill at the moment so I am done for the day.

I wouldn't lose any space at the right, if anything I would add some at the bottom so the tail isn't cut off. Other than that I like the colour separation. Would you mind explaining how you did that in Lightroom/how long it took you)?

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I wouldn't lose any space at the right, if anything I would add some at the bottom so the tail isn't cut off. Other than that I like the colour separation. Would you mind explaining how you did that in Lightroom/how long it took you)?

I don't think I have anything left on the bottom sadly, but thanks for letting me know what you think about the crop.

As it turns out, it's a very simple process, I spent maybe half an hour to an hour on it. There are apparently different ways of doing it, but I followed a guide on YouTube that said to go to the HSL window, select saturation and turn down all the colours but for the object you wish to keep in colour. Then it's a matter of using the brush tool with saturation all the way down to get to all the areas that still have colour. There was a large green plasticky background thing in my image so there was a lot of green to get rid of. The only real time-consuming work was in using smaller brushes to get more of the green out around the chameleon.

Just look up a guide on YouTube and follow along, it's extremely simple. This is the one I watched earlier and I had no problems at all in doing it.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
This is beautiful, well done.

chameleonic_by_rihani-ddba7b3.jpg

Any critique would be very welcome as always.
First of all, thanks :)

I'm perfectly OK with selective coloring. I do it myself to tone down distracting fliers/posters in the background or something, specifically if I can do it in one step with a slider. Or I turn portraits into B/W. I will keep only the reds in, etc. If it involves layering and all that complex stuff, that's just not my thing and that goes beyond photography for me, that could be more photographic design. I think you're fine here. I would not crop it tighter, as you'd lose breathing room...but that's just me though. The lizard is staring off into the distance (at least that's what we think), and that's fine. You could tone down the highlights but otherwise I think it's good.

Oct 28, 2017
I got the Sigma 30mm 1.4f lens for my Sony a6500 and I love it. Went on a trip to Calgary/Banff/Kanaskas and used it quite a bit.

OpkhHE-8LcrvKrzM7lsZNt28nVZtvnGxor1bvdAFwYN5g-eb40UZv4qrws2i7qPQlIORFY6204Sn8Ltkw_2fnk2THFoJwIXC6ptujAv2FaJQZcg38TPcYleV1MyJqxgBkN9hsZKKvg=w2095-h1397-no

96IvJulR47M9dQuEi2TuX-41BfIWIg_AMMUPNoHKojDfCLfH231i4_XZR_OdBD6d_pjRfoCZohZYYixAH8YCiyZ9E3knwqN6nRRvh5FVYx2t15UUr2qi5Tbl9W4ed_o9v6YAePmKAj-N5E3nOesx6vTIhblXK1J96Qk-XsDVc6Tac48SI_XgNS-1a0bHwYmskDHS5Io3ljoVq3SOJ_Z6ROG0yKah8y56lo6oViVHB_-EGi1oHk6YDowP0gBIcgABZHdhT3BgkyEeJzZj4Qbl2dKp-6WEIK3_BzW_FakkYccpMQSr495dXoZ_aivXHisffZpwsvPPse2Qe5UUvvQz4wo8hiRkqzSS1w1Ak5LxyX3amKnBaiWXukekvqD85cYsPHaBGOuVtNpYrXfzVURLufWSeypYNAB7_D33yMxvmCHOhsBq-CSCBJH0OPxmw2UqfadNU2gykAKyHgOaVnbb1GkxrvnwSBvwXlNWQ0oyw1vavixOfrQuAFnKPqAR7ihErAtJ46LR8WTM_y04ZFraLHzDvMB-7TvCvLfdi1qw4GGNRh-m6fr_sr4C3v8v6o2Ld9JbeBjmM-N2Ul-yZDTpp1Odk1Shbq57jEsB4i7b_7ywVpCycm6DVLQ2ayCjbyrQsZw69L1riQ_r5zfv4j_INmXBXDG5ZAGKOx2Sv_LpuWgevA6K1vWlX9V_hQu0MS3pE9zBHt_zkNewAhfI0s_l5oQT=w2095-h1397-no

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
First of all, thanks :)

I'm perfectly OK with selective coloring. I do it myself to tone down distracting fliers/posters in the background or something, specifically if I can do it in one step with a slider. Or I turn portraits into B/W. I will keep only the reds in, etc. If it involves layering and all that complex stuff, that's just not my thing and that goes beyond photography for me, that could be more photographic design. I think you're fine here. I would not crop it tighter, as you'd lose breathing room...but that's just me though. The lizard is staring off into the distance (at least that's what we think), and that's fine. You could tone down the highlights but otherwise I think it's good.

I think I was needlessly worrying about the crop because the chameleon is twisted and it looks awkward as a result, but you're right, there's no need to touch it. Good advice on the highlights, you're absolutely right. Thanks!

I got the Sigma 30mm 1.4f lens for my Sony a6500 and I love it. Went on a trip to Calgary/Banff/Kanaskas and used it quite a bit.

A friend and I bought that recently for our Nikons (3300 and 5600) mostly for astrophotography, as we got a good deal on it. It's not the most suitable, being not particularly wide, but we still expect to get good results out of it. I've given it a very quick go with snaps of the family and I actually think the 18-55mm kit lens gets better results for your every day snapping of people. Really excited to try some astrophotography though, when we get a chance to head down to a dark sky area.

Oct 28, 2017
I've been considering moving up to a full-frame camera. I've got some money to burn on the hobby and I'm getting excited to see what the Sony a7s iii turns out like. I've already invested into a few lenses into my a6500. Is going up to full-frame going to give me quality you just can't get on a crop sensor?

I think I was needlessly worrying about the crop because the chameleon is twisted and it looks awkward as a result, but you're right, there's no need to touch it. Good advice on the highlights, you're absolutely right. Thanks!

A friend and I bought that recently for our Nikons (3300 and 5600) mostly for astrophotography, as we got a good deal on it. It's not the most suitable, being not particularly wide, but we still expect to get good results out of it. I've given it a very quick go with snaps of the family and I actually think the 18-55mm kit lens gets better results for your every day snapping of people. Really excited to try some astrophotography though, when we get a chance to head down to a dark sky area.
I'm using it as my "Nifty Fifty" prime lens, since it is equivalent to 45mm on a full frame. It's my first lens that has a massive aperture and it has made getting fast shots really easy.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been considering moving up to a full-frame camera. I've got some money to burn on the hobby and I'm getting excited to see what the Sony a7s iii turns out like. I've already invested into a few lenses into my a6500. Is going up to full-frame going to give me quality you just can't get on a crop sensor?

I'm using it as my "Nifty Fifty" prime lens, since it is equivalent to 45mm on a full frame. It's my first lens that has a massive aperture and it has made getting fast shots really easy.
What is your budget also what do you have on the A6500? I honestly just lump crop sensor Sony as a waste of money depending on what you're doing. The A7SIII whenever that comes out will be probably what the A7RIII originally came out for so it'll be a $3000 plus camera. There are supposed to be some announcements on the 17th and if it's the A7SIII and it's not what you need IE you don't care about the video features then get the A7RIII or the A7III, if you want to save some cash get the A7RII, I have that, it's still more camera than what a lot of people need. Regarding the benefits the high iso on the Sony cameras is pretty good

Oct 28, 2017
What is your budget also what do you have on the A6500? I honestly just lump crop sensor Sony as a waste of money depending on what you're doing. The A7SIII whenever that comes out will be probably what the A7RIII originally came out for so it'll be a $3000 plus camera. There are supposed to be some announcements on the 17th and if it's the A7SIII and it's not what you need IE you don't care about the video features then get the A7RIII or the A7III, if you want to save some cash get the A7RII, I have that, it's still more camera than what a lot of people need. Regarding the benefits the high iso on the Sony cameras is pretty good
I could talk myself into dropping $3k. It's not something I'd immediately buy. I'd also sell my 6500 + lenses to offset the cost.

On the a6500, I have the 16-50 kit lens, 55-210 telephoto, and the Sigma 30mm 1.4 prime lens. I really do like this camera. I got it because the compact size is pretty important to me. I am more encouraged to take my camera with me on those trips where I feel I may not even use it. I was actually tempted to swap out my lenses on my a6500 and get the SELP18-200 lens. But it's $1200 and I'm considering if I should invest in full-frame before investing in expensive glass.

Oct 25, 2017
I could talk myself into dropping $3k. It's not something I'd immediately buy. I'd also sell my 6500 + lenses to offset the cost.

On the a6500, I have the 16-50 kit lens, 55-210 telephoto, and the Sigma 30mm 1.4 prime lens. I really do like this camera. I got it because the compact size is pretty important to me. I am more encouraged to take my camera with me on those trips where I feel I may not even use it. I was actually tempted to swap out my lenses on my a6500 and get the SELP18-200 lens. But it's $1200 and I'm considering if I should invest in full-frame before investing in expensive glass.
The only lens from that set that I'd even say is worth anything is the Sigma and you can't even put that on what full frame Sony you'd get, I really don't even like all in one zooms so I'd even be against the 18-200. If you want small but still good get a Fuji or keep the A6500, drop the kit lenses and see if you can find an affordable A7 or just trade all of it and get something and the 24-105F4. I just really can't go to bat for crop sensor Sony for my personal needs since the glass doesn't exist on that system.

Oct 28, 2017
The only lens from that set that I'd even say is worth anything is the Sigma and you can't even put that on what full frame Sony you'd get, I really don't even like all in one zooms so I'd even be against the 18-200. If you want small but still good get a Fuji or keep the A6500, drop the kit lenses and see if you can find an affordable A7 or just trade all of it and get something and the 24-105F4. I just really can't go to bat for crop sensor Sony for my personal needs since the glass doesn't exist on that system.
Well I'm not doing this for professional work or anything. I've just been getting into the hobby. I am trying to learn more. I essentially made my current set as something to dive into. That's why I really wanted the a6500 because its size really helps motivate me early on to use it more often. I've been transitioning to using the camera more and more manual over time. I plan to stick with the a6500 for a while. My thinking is that I should switch to a full frame before it loses too much value though.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm not doing this for professional work or anything. I've just been getting into the hobby. I am trying to learn more. I essentially made my current set as something to dive into. That's why I really wanted the a6500 because its size really helps motivate me early on to use it more often. I've been transitioning to using the camera more and more manual over time. I plan to stick with the a6500 for a while. My thinking is that I should switch to a full frame before it loses too much value though.
Why do you want to switch to full frame? I go back and forth depending on my moods and what I'll be shooting. If you're not doing portrait work or low light event work you might not even benefit from it. At the very least you get access to a lot more lens choices.

Oct 28, 2017
Why do you want to switch to full frame? I go back and forth depending on my moods and what I'll be shooting. If you're not doing portrait work or low light event work you might not even benefit from it. At the very least you get access to a lot more lens choices.
Well the choice is to either invest into this camera for more high quality lenses or wait to invest in lenses on a full frame. From what I've been reading and watching, full frame sensors allow for better quality, especially in low-light.

And honestly, I'm open to it because I'm willing to burn money on it. I was thinking of renting a full frame camera to see if I like it a lot more too when I'm considering switching.

Oct 25, 2017
Well the choice is to either invest into this camera for more high quality lenses or wait to invest in lenses on a full frame. From what I've been reading and watching, full frame sensors allow for better quality, especially in low-light.

And honestly, I'm open to it because I'm willing to burn money on it. I was thinking of renting a full frame camera to see if I like it a lot more too when I'm considering switching.
I like the A7 bodies a lot more than the A6xxx bodies since that body was one of the reasons why I bought an X-T2 over whatever A6xxx camera was out two years ago. Fuji stomps the Sony A6xxx series when you look at lens ecosystem. You get a much better image in low light on full frame, I don't even think any of the A6xxx cameras is as good as my Nikon D4 from 2012. If you're going to go into full frame research the lenses, costs and what you'd actually need. I love my A7RII, minus the buffer, FPS and the occasional scatter shot AF, but it really did take over as one of my main event cameras. But yeah give one a rent with a good lens and that should answer your questions.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
The AF is why that thing is not a sports or events camera. If it's worse than the A7RII in that area then yikes.

I don't think it will have many problems in events. The problems I had was just when the sun was right there behind the model. In most other cases the focus was accurate and fast.

By the way, I was also trying out putting the speedlite off-camera on an umbrella.

This one was with natural light only:
2A1A7913-Editar by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

For these two I used the speedlite and went for some more dramatic:
2A1A7921-Editar by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

2A1A7918-Editar by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will have many problems in events. The problems I had was just when the sun was right there behind the model. In most other cases the focus was accurate and fast.

By the way, I was also trying out putting the speedlite off-camera on an umbrella.

This one was with natural light only:
2A1A7913-Editar by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

For these two I used the speedlite and went for some more dramatic:
2A1A7921-Editar by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

2A1A7918-Editar by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr
The harsh backlighting was completely washing her skin tone out. Regarding the umbrella usage it's not bad at all for a first try. Just need her I guess facing the sun more or to use the sun as either a key our fill light to help fill in her other side better. Worst comes to worst double up on the lighting and use the sun as a hair light and you should be good to go.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
The harsh backlighting was completely washing her skin tone out. Regarding the umbrella usage it's not bad at all for a first try. Just need her I guess facing the sun more or to use the sun as either a key our fill light to help fill in her other side better. Worst comes to worst double up on the lighting and use the sun as a hair light and you should be good to go.

Yeah, I've read a lot of articles and watched a lot of youtube videos about this, but when I was there I forgot everything and I didn't pay attention about the position of the sun related to the model and the umbrella lol. What I wanted before the shoot was indeed the sun as a hair light. Either way I really liked it and had a nice wow factor when looking at the back of the camera there. I'm looking forward to trying it again soon and fixing my mistakes.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've read a lot of articles and watched a lot of youtube videos about this, but when I was there I forgot everything and I didn't pay attention about the position of the sun related to the model and the umbrella lol. What I wanted before the shoot was indeed the sun as a hair light. Either way I really liked it and had a nice wow factor when looking at the back of the camera there. I'm looking forward to trying it again soon and fixing my mistakes.
The more you do it the better you'll get at it. You can watch all the vids you want, but none of it seems to stick till you put it to practice yourself.

ConceptX612

Dec 27, 2017
Hello, I just bought a mzuiko 7-14mm because I'm traveling to europe soon. I want to buy a filter but can't decide between a cpl or a ND 10 stop filter. I've never used a ND filter so I'm curious to try it out. It is worth a try?. Since the filters for this lens are very expensive, and I still have to buy the adapter. What do you people suggest? Should I get something else?. Thank you!

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Hello, I just bought a mzuiko 7-14mm because I'm traveling to europe soon. I want to buy a filter but can't decide between a cpl or a ND 10 stop filter. I've never used a ND filter so I'm curious to try it out. It is worth a try?. Since the filters for this lens are very expensive, and I still have to buy the adapter. What do you people suggest? Should I get something else?. Thank you!
ND filters are good for daytime long exposures, or wide open portraits. Since that's a wide angle lens, it won't make sense for the portrait scenario. Do you see yourself taking daytime long exposures with that lens in Europe? For reference here are a few of my daytime long exposures:

DSCF7470_1 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF7427_2 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF5106_1 by TIKI, on Flickr

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Also for most other types of filters, you can simulate them using software. Is there any specific reason you want to try/use a filter?

ConceptX612

Dec 27, 2017
Also for most other types of filters, you can simulate them using software. Is there any specific reason you want to try/use a filter?

Those are some really nice photos!. I'm only going to two cities (still deciding) for two weeks so I think I'll have time to take this kind of pictures.

I do enjoy taking long exposure photos in night time. For some reason ND filters flew over my head and I learned about them until recently.

About a specific reason I think I just enjoy using my gear more than editing photos in my PC and I want to experiment with something new. I still do some editing in my pc but I rather spend my time doing something else. I'll look for some used filters on ebay your photos really make me want to try them out!. Thank you for yor reply!.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Don't post often, but I've been playing around with my new macro lens. (will probably go back and edit it to try and remove some of the noise).

BeesKnees.jpg

Would also like to say I really enjoy watching this thread and everyone's work. /back to lurking. :)