• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Wheat fields, Wilmington, East Sussex.

29573949397_31e7fc2dc4_o_d.jpg

29824258057_2a1092fe00_o_d.jpg
Excellent colors.

LePertti

Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I really need new glass, the kit lens just isn't cutting it now that Paris is dark most of the time, so most of my photos now are blurry ISO messes.XD But been looking around and just a 50mm f1.8 used isn't that much, so when I actually have some money I think I need to get it.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Few more. Toying with the denoise modules in Darktable. Sometimes. I see also that Darktable changed up the Tone Curve. The "high contrast" is like the old medium. Dammit, I will have my ridiculouse contrast (already saved settings from older photos).

I need to get out more.

46439914471_dfcffc3814_b.jpg

46368269722_d46125379d_b.jpg

46368277732_934c5999f5_b.jpg

46403275312_13300700e1_b.jpg

46453999381_5ccd207d06_b.jpg

So, for this next, I shot a whole bunch. I like this one, as I had set the 12s timer and was going to join them, but I got a horrible butt cramp, hence, the laughter.

45541097725_82144f8369_b.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I really need new glass, the kit lens just isn't cutting it now that Paris is dark most of the time, so most of my photos now are blurry ISO messes.XD But been looking around and just a 50mm f1.8 used isn't that much, so when I actually have some money I think I need to get it.
What are you shooting on? It's best to never stay on the kit lens forever if you have the budget to advance a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Sony A7 with a 28-70mm f3.5-5.6. I had Nikon gear before but I sold of most of it since I wanted to switch to Sony. I didn't intend to use the kit lens that long, but life got in the way of managing to upgrade.
Original A7? What do you intend to shoot? I heard the AF performance with that camera and the 50 1.8 isn't a match made in heaven. I haven't used that on my RII since I got my Sigma Art 35 and the 85 1.8.

LePertti

Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Original A7? What do you intend to shoot? I heard the AF performance with that camera and the 50 1.8 isn't a match made in heaven. I haven't used that on my RII since I got my Sigma Art 35 and the 85 1.8.
I mean the camera is just fine pretty much for most situations, sure can be hard but doable. (had worse cameras for more demanding jobs) The lens I really want is the Zeiss 35mm f2 but whoa expensive, but I really need better lens. I come from fashion but will go more into own projects but will be mainly both art photos with people to more documentary about people, so a good low light people lens is what I need.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the camera is just fine pretty much for most situations, sure can be hard but doable. (had worse cameras for more demanding jobs) The lens I really want is the Zeiss 35mm f2 but whoa expensive, but I really need better lens. I come from fashion but will go more into own projects but will be mainly both art photos with people to more documentary about people, so a good low light people lens is what I need.
Yeah research how the 50 1.8 behaves on the first set of bodies before you commit to buying it. I heard it's not great with the contrast AF bodies, it's barely good on my A7RII. Lens selection for Sony is tricky to say the least if you're on a tight budget. I'd look for a used Zeiss 35 2.8 personally, but that's not enough aperture for low light though.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for linking this, that was an enjoyable watch.

It is a little strange that photography is one of the only art mediums where truth is implied implicitly by virtue of the medium.

I will freely admit that I edit my photos, including things like landscapes. One of my most popular shots had about 8 cars visible in the background. I didn't notice the cars while taking the shot because that wasn't what grabbed my attention, and I edit my photos to show off exactly what I found captivating about the scene, and thus, the cars were cloned out. I don't see that as doing the viewer a disservice, but I also never make claims that my photos are SOOC.

I think a lot about what David Fincher does in movies, and how invisibly he makes use of modern tools to achieve his vision. I don't see any difference between the two of us in that way.

LePertti

Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Yeah research how the 50 1.8 behaves on the first set of bodies before you commit to buying it. I heard it's not great with the contrast AF bodies, it's barely good on my A7RII. Lens selection for Sony is tricky to say the least if you're on a tight budget. I'd look for a used Zeiss 35 2.8 personally, but that's not enough aperture for low light though.
Yeah I've started to do a lot window shopping on a street here filled with photography stores, they have so much nice stuff! I did find the 50mm for 180€, like half what it's new, so it's not that much and even if it doesn't perform that well, it might be worth it to just have until I can get something better.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've started to do a lot window shopping on a street here filled with photography stores, they have so much nice stuff! I did find the 50mm for 180€, like half what it's new, so it's not that much and even if it doesn't perform that well, it might be worth it to just have until I can get something better.
I have the 50 and it's not even worth trading in. I used it for like two scenarios to just get used to the camera and traded up promptly. If you like 50mm then get it, if you don't then get something else. 50mm isn't exactly a focal length that I'm in love with, it's just too in between to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
It is a little strange that photography is one of the only art mediums where truth is implied implicitly by virtue of the medium.

I think it has a lot to do with how accessible the medium is and most people's relationship with that medium. Photography, unlike any other form of art, is everywhere and requires virtually no skill or thought. Pick up a phone, point at something and shoot; voi là, you captured "reality". Contrast that to painting, where the process itself requires setup, requires thought, requires you stop and think about colors and paints and positioning, etc.

The process of painting is interpretative in a way that's much more overt, much more deliberate than the process for photography, where the interpretation inherent to framing is subtle yet self-apparent. Of course you have to frame the subject, one thinks, without ever questioning what "framing the subject" actually means. I say framing, but the same applies to the whole process pre- and post-shutter.

Almost everyone has had some first-hand contact with photography, yet most people don't ever think critically about the photographic process. I think that contributes a lot to the misconceptions, these misplaced expectations around the medium.

LePertti

Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
So I've been trying to figure out what the best way to sort ones photos would be. I mean I have Lightroom for my serious photography and Photos on my Mac for "life" stuff, but wondering maybe combine the two and see if I could synch everything across all my devices, meaning my Mac, Android Photo and Windows Tablet. Google Photos seems to be the best option but wondering if there is an alternative that I'm not thinking of? Flickr Pro could be an option.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I think I might need to look into getting a high level APS-C camera with good 3rd party lens support (specifically one that could work with the Tamron I've been using, whether I have to sell and buy a different mount or not). The pixel density and the crop factor would just give me that extra bit of reach that it seems like I'm missing. At the same time I don't want to let go of full frame...so...two bodies...some day :)

That said, a couple from today's visit to the dam...

45605236585_23e5e76263_h.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43656904@N06/45605236585/in/dateposted/

45605235655_7dbe702ac7_h.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43656904@N06/45605235655/in/dateposted/

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Taking pictures of watches is really hard. Just got this new Rolex Explorer and a cheap set of macro extension tubes for my Fuji. Used natural window light and held up a white card to eliminate the glare on the sapphire crystal.

0OU1Fmu.jpg

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone picked up the "new" Tamron 28-75 on E-mount? A lot of reviews say that it's good, but I'm worried about the vignetting and distortion on the wide end...

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone picked up the "new" Tamron 28-75 on E-mount? A lot of reviews say that it's good, but I'm worried about the vignetting and distortion on the wide end...
This is a lens I kind of sort of want, but at the same time it's not wide enough for emergency cases. Do a group shot on two opposite ends of a hallway and you'll have PTSD of there's no such thing as too wide. You can find a few at occasional smaller shops but at the bigger retailers they're always out of stock if you aren't paying attention, not to mention the Ebay price gouging.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Taking pictures of watches is really hard. Just got this new Rolex Explorer and a cheap set of macro extension tubes for my Fuji. Used natural window light and held up a white card to eliminate the glare on the sapphire crystal.

0OU1Fmu.jpg

With watches (and other reflective and/or refractive stuff, like jewelry or glassware) you usually want to have a soft light source or two and a bunch of white and black cards to create contrasty reflected shapes on the surfaces. For watches, in specific, I find that having some soft reflection on the crystal/window helps giving it shape and creating some visual interest.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
This is a lens I kind of sort of want, but at the same time it's not wide enough for emergency cases. Do a group shot on two opposite ends of a hallway and you'll have PTSD of there's no such thing as too wide. You can find a few at occasional smaller shops but at the bigger retailers they're always out of stock if you aren't paying attention, not to mention the Ebay price gouging.

Yeah, that's very true. I guess it's back to waiting for a cheap used SEL20F28 to land somewhere.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's very true. I guess it's back to waiting for a cheap used SEL20F28 to land somewhere.
It is not too hard to find the 28 F2 below $400. How cheap are you trying to find it at. I think if you don't do random corporate events where your bosses ask you to do some really weird random shots and don't do a lot of landscape work than the 28-75 should be more than enough lens for you. I'm honestly waiting for Tamron to announce their FE 70-200 lens so I can see if it's a possibility. If I can get the Sony 24-70GM and get the Tamron 70-200 that's a good compromise. I'd rather get a bit shafted on the wide end on the 70-200 than the wide end on a 24-70 equivalent.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
It is not too hard to find the 28 F2 below $400. How cheap are you trying to find it at. I think if you don't do random corporate events where your bosses ask you to do some really weird random shots and don't do a lot of landscape work than the 28-75 should be more than enough lens for you. I'm honestly waiting for Tamron to announce their FE 70-200 lens so I can see if it's a possibility. If I can get the Sony 24-70GM and get the Tamron 70-200 that's a good compromise. I'd rather get a bit shafted on the wide end on the 70-200 than the wide end on a 24-70 equivalent.

I like to do landscape work, but I'm only on APS-C and stitching photos in a pain. I have my 18-200 as my all-purpose lens at the moment, but it's not quite as sharp as I would like it to be.

And I'm looking for cheap because I'm a cheapskate, haha. I can definitely afford the retail price of it.

Oct 25, 2017
I like to do landscape work, but I'm only on APS-C and stitching photos in a pain. I have my 18-200 as my all-purpose lens at the moment, but it's not quite as sharp as I would like it to be.

And I'm looking for cheap because I'm a cheapskate, haha. I can definitely afford the retail price of it.
APSC Sony mirrorless is yikes mode, but that's just my opinion. I think Sigma has a good 16mm prime for Sony. Also I do not like those all purpose zooms. There's an optimal sweet spot in those things and then just softens up the further you get from it. See what you shoot at the most in those ranges and see if there's a prime for each, granted that's not convenient since I rarely shoot primes with my events...granted I double body. The 28 on crop sensor honestly isn't even that wide.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lucky enough to snap this complete double rainbow pano just before the rain came and I had to bring the drone home.

WA Panorama by Eric, on Flickr

Wish I had a bit more time to plan the shot but I just barely had time to get her up and select pano before the rain started to fall.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I haven't done any photography since i started my new job. I think when i get a chance, i want shoot when its raining or light rain. Theres so much lights at night in NYV, I'm just thinking getting some nice reflection shots.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
so one of my goals this year is to get into a new hobby and i've thought about doing photography, anyone have any recommendations on beginner camera? anything I should know?

Oct 25, 2017
so one of my goals this year is to get into a new hobby and i've thought about doing photography, anyone have any recommendations on beginner camera? anything I should know?
What is your budget? Also what camera format are you looking at? DSLR or Mirrorless? It's easier to go cheap on a DSLR, but mirrorless has some very beginner friendly conveniences.

Last edited:

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Good stuff. Like the wilderness pics.

As someone who is trying to improve in photography, I recommend looking up some youtube videos. I do that from time to time.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
What is your budget? Also what camera format are you looking at? DSLR or Mirrorless? It's easier to go cheap on a DSLR, but mirrorless has some very beginner friendly conveniences.

I haven't even got a budget set yet, it's something I need to talk to my wife about. I'm not even sure the difference between DSLR or Mirrorless so maybe I'll do some research on that.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even got a budget set yet, it's something I need to talk to my wife about. I'm not even sure the difference between DSLR or Mirrorless so maybe I'll do some research on that.
Do some research first. Main difference is the EVF and OVF differences. Electronic Viewfinder gives you a better idea of what your image is going to turn into before you take the picture. Optical Viewfinder is kind of sort of more of a guessing game until you get a much better sense of what the light meter in the viewfinder is telling you. See if you have a good camera shop in your area because I for the most part don't recommend a Best Buy because a lot of them have very narrow selections. Also see if you can go used. I'd much rather get a used prosumer level camera over a new beginner level camera.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Do some research first. Main difference is the EVF and OVF differences. Electronic Viewfinder gives you a better idea of what your image is going to turn into before you take the picture. Optical Viewfinder is kind of sort of more of a guessing game until you get a much better sense of what the light meter in the viewfinder is telling you. See if you have a good camera shop in your area because I for the most part don't recommend a Best Buy because a lot of them have very narrow selections. Also see if you can go used. I'd much rather get a used prosumer level camera over a new beginner level camera.

I'm in NYC, I am curious if B+H is a good store to visit for this. I believe so, they seem to be based off their website.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in NYC, I am curious if B+H is a good store to visit for this. I believe so, they seem to be based off their website.
You're in the perfect place then. I was worried you were in the midwest or something. There are people in B&H that know me by face, which is...sad...for me...and my bank account. Ask some questions, the staff is quite knowledgable and they have dedicated areas for most of the camera brands...even dying Pentax.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
You're in the perfect place then. I was worried you were in the midwest or something. There are people in B&H that know me by face, which is...sad...for me...and my bank account. Ask some questions, the staff is quite knowledgable and they have dedicated areas for most of the camera brands...even dying Pentax.

Great, thanks for the advice! Maybe I'll stop in there some time next week!