• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Out with the wife, snapping friends + a couple random things.
46030222895_995e048a7f_z.jpg

46964703231_e521495661_z.jpg

46240309664_6f97c30b47_z.jpg

33147308288_9afc515b8f_z.jpg

46970646122_c654fc5772_z.jpg

47035710871_28256621b8_z.jpg

46981012492_84ef7be611_z.jpg

Still figuring out post, but it's per-picture for me.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Shared these on that One Photo A Day thread, so might as well post them here as well:

Lake Moonmaw, VA (1)

32094516767_4ec0c482d1_o.jpg

Lake Moonmaw, VA (2)

45679378665_51ebc90c45_o.jpg

Smoky Mountain State Park

39841242695_e180e86dee_o.jpg

Oct 25, 2017

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I see. There's white fringeing on her outline (shoulders mainly) which lead me to think you'd masked the background.

Some of it is actually a bit edge light from the hair light. But the effect is also exaggerated when you isolate colors to saturate or desaturate in the RAW file. In this case, it was caused by making the background an even deeper blue.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Some of it is actually a bit edge light from the hair light. But the effect is also exaggerated when you isolate colors to saturate or desaturate in the RAW file. In this case, it was caused by making the background an even deeper blue.
I thought as much. Cracking shot though. I wish I had skin like that. :/

Nov 13, 2017

Grand Rapids Light Trails
by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

Composite of one second exposures sitting on a guard rail. Turned out alright. Definitely gaps between exposures though which was unfortunate.

Winter Trees

Really liked this next spot, but I can't decide which composition is better:

Joliet Bridge

Joliet Bridge
I feel the second is stronger and feeling very strongly it would look great as bnw

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
You need to work on getting rid of the gate.
I disagree on this I think the gate adds to the mood and look
This is one of those subjective critiques since I care more about the bridge and the fog than I do about the gate since it distracts me.

I actually have an alternate shot where I moved such that the gate isn't visible anymore, but I felt like that didn't do the foreground much of a favor. I thought that the gate added to the look.

I feel the second is stronger and feeling very strongly it would look great as bnw

I took the photo with the second in mind, but I took a horizontal as backup in case it didn't turn out like I wanted. So I think I agree with you, but I just keep going back and forth. I like the extra pillars leading towards the focal point in the horizontal composition.

I'm not confident enough in my black and white editing to make something not just seem gimmicky. I just don't have a good feel there. :/

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth I did a square crop without the gate and I think it works pretty well too. Totally subjective on this one.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to hike to the top of Bear Peak near Boulder Colorado this weekend. It was slippery as fuck so I had to put my camera in my back pack while I slid down the mountain on my ass. Don't forget to bring your spikes!

Bear Peak 2019-1 by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Bear Peak 2019-10 by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Bear Peak 2019-6 by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Bear Peak 2019-29 by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Bear Peak 2019-4 by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Beautiful country. Love the dog pic! Just went on a snow day walk the other day with my own little doggy. She had a great time.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
A few bits and pieces from some regular photo practice over the last couple of months.

DSC_5265 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Ornithocheirus display at a local museum.

DSC_5397 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Wilted hydrangea blossom in the morning light.

Starling Skull Merged 002 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Starling skull macro, stacked focus.

DSC_5693 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

DSC_5737 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

DSC_5787 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Off-camera flash practice with a willing model. Some filter/reflector use.

DSC_4809 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

DSC_4284 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Catching visiting Swiss aircraft at a local RAF base.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
That last one with the engine heat is pretty awesome

I always enjoy catching 'burner shots - the heat distortion looks fantastic if you catch it just right. Overcast days and poor light sometimes makes the effect better, but the noise and smell is something you just can't quite get across in photos. I've not got loads of my aviation shots up on Flickr, but here are a couple more:

DSC_4330 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

DSC_3931 by Trilobite Photography, on Flickr

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love how painterly the heat distortion is, looking through your Flickr, you've got some great stuff. What shutter speed do you typically use for in flight photos?

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Love how painterly the heat distortion is, looking through your Flickr, you've got some great stuff. What shutter speed do you typically use for in flight photos?

Cheers - kind of you to say!

Yeah, the heat distortion gives a fantastic effect - I've seen it pushed hard with clarity etc. sliders in Lightroom which I think makes it look rather artificial, so I like to leave shots like that with a simple post-processing pass (level tweaks and a little vibrance push + a bit of a sharpen).

In-flight photos depends on the type of aircraft I'm shooting. Prop aircraft I shoot as low as I can hand-hold, as prop aircraft and helicopters look odd with the propeller blades frozen - typically 1/100 to 1/250, though if it's not too breezy and I'm feeling steady and don't mind only a couple of keepers, I'll shoot a bit lower. The photo of the Portugese Hercules in front of the lighthouse was shot at 1/160 handheld to get prop blur and a sense of movement, and while I could have tried a lower shutter speed I had one chance to get it as it's a very rare visitor.

For jet aircraft, I'll go higher. I'd start at least around 1/500, going higher for aircraft doing fast passes or displays. I'd typically try and shoot as fast as possible without raising the ISO too high, though that will often depend on the weather conditions as well. I like to stop down a bit too - something like f7.1-ish - as my 70-300 performs best around there, so it's always a balance between the three. If the jets are predictable - on take-off and landing, or moving into the circuit for approaches to the airfield - I might shoot a bit slower because I know what they're going to be doing and can follow them comfortably, but I certainly wouldn't risk that for air shows or other displays.

Occasionally, it's fun to shoot jets on a lower shutter speed and a smaller aperture to get the aircraft sharp with good DOF against a motion-blurred background - it's like photographing fast cars, but with slightly larger, faster targets :-)

Oct 25, 2017
It's better than my older stuff where I would throw a -25 vignette on it and call it done!
I'm probably too lazy to do that much work on one photo, but I should try at some point I guess since turning 8 pictures into one seems to be all the rage these days.
Replaced it! I'd say it's a subtle improvement.

Much better. The pattern on the feathers stands out a lot more in black and white.