• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 13, 2017

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Broadway Tower, The Cotswolds. D850, 28-300VR.

32294962727_4ec01ab1aa_o.jpg

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
I'm assuming you image stack these things? Your landscape stuff is always sharp and punchy.
I expose for different aspects of the image if possible when I've got a tripod handy, otherwise I'll create separate exposures on layers from a single image and apply masks to process different parts of the image.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! For some reason I thought you were high up off the ground looking downwards and couldn't think of a spot where that would be easily possible at that angle.

Nov 11, 2017
You really need more depth of field in a lot of these shots. Giant out of focus hand at front of frame is just crazy, you also have a shoe growing out of her head in the first one. The colour one with the bridge in the background would be far more interesting if the bridge was also in focus.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You really need more depth of field in a lot of these shots. Giant out of focus hand at front of frame is just crazy, you also have a shoe growing out of her head in the first one. The colour one with the bridge in the background would be far more interesting if the bridge was also in focus.
I tend to agree, you clearly tried some new stuff here in terms of posing which is good, but in the majority of the shots in the album, something is slicing through her or growing out of her.

Oct 25, 2017
I have actually seen shit like this before more than once and figured I'd try it, had no idea it was that frowned upon photography circles and I could've even blurred it out in an even uglier fashion since I was only shooting at F2.5. Next time I'll shoot at F8 so people can complain about the people being in focus on the left hand side.
I tend to agree, you clearly tried some new stuff here in terms of posing which is good, but in the majority of the shots in the album, something is slicing through her or growing out of her.
I tried, my client and I both like the images, I can't make everybody happy. Clearly I failed at producing good images.

OP
OP
Cheddahz

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
Critiquing is good and an essential tool, but if the photographer and the client are both happy with the product, that's what matters!

Oct 25, 2017
Critiquing is good and an essential tool, but if the photographer and the client are both happy with the product, that's what matters!
I do try and take the stuff that people say into consideration, but I can't exactly shoot with 10 contrasting opinions in my head. That would just lead to a deadlocked situation where I just end up shooting nothing at all.
Yep! Any criticism I offer is only my opinion, I'm not the one out there getting paid for my work so I'm an armchair quarterback at best.
I actually don't disregard your opinion. I'm just getting to a point where I feel like I'm never going to produce "the perfect image" because it doesn't really exist. I can try to produce a "good" image and maybe the off chance a pretty good image, I just think that there's something imperfect about everything I shoot. The whole something is sticking out of the model is an annoying "rule" or criticism because this happens with a lot of outdoor work to the point where I'm starting to just disregard it. Bridge is like 10 miles long I can't get rid of it and I'm trying to incorporate that into the picture. Regarding some of the fence shots I don't want that more in focus because I like the bokeh like quality the diamonds are adding.

Last edited:

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that 100-400GM is amazing.

Time to never enter this thread again, so I never have to worry about my skills sucking, haha.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I've been taking very few photos lately. I just bought a bunch of film that I'm fucking around with, but who knows if that will even develop.

Framed in Iron
by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

Framed in Iron
by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

I again, couldn't decide which composition I liked more. The girl is actually from a third photo (in that spot). She was with a group, but I thought it looked better with just the one.

Nov 11, 2017
I have actually seen shit like this before more than once and figured I'd try it, had no idea it was that frowned upon photography circles and I could've even blurred it out in an even uglier fashion since I was only shooting at F2.5. Next time I'll shoot at F8 so people can complain about the people being in focus on the left hand side.
Why have the people on the left as part of the composition at all? That is more the point, instead of just trying to blur out things you don't want in the background, don't have those elements there in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
Why have the people on the left as part of the composition at all? That is more the point, instead of just trying to blur out things you don't want in the background, don't have those elements there in the first place.
Because I can only go but so far over and keep active PDAF points, I don't have edge to edge AF like that so I have to work around my camera. I could use the contrast AF points but I hate those and I have to put the camera into AF-S to keep the AF from pulsating and annoying me in the process.

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't usually do much of portrait photography because I honestly feel awkward doing, but I love what you guys are doing here and I do get some inspiration from you guys.

Also yes, concert photography is fun!

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Still getting a hang of the new system...

This is a funny lens. It won't focus at infinity, it wont be sharp stopped down, everything seems to glow, and there's some nifty lensflare that JJ would love. I could see taking some amazing portraits with it though. People will literally glow:

Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.4:

DSCF1909E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1980E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1985E by TIKI, on Flickr

Probably the best of the bunch as far as focusing goes, surprised by how sharp this came out for a 50 year old lens:

DSCF1911E by TIKI, on Flickr

However, considering all that, I could see myself having tremendous fun with the Fuji 56mm f/1.2.

These are with the Fuji 23mm f/2:

DSCF1793E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1843E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1874E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1798E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1950E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1969E by TIKI, on Flickr

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
My uni's gala party uploaded all the pics from both the room photographer as well as the photobooth photographer. The room photos are

tenor.gif

but the photobooth pics are

tenor.gif
I can't understand how he was able to fuck up that much, pics taken from below, lighting all over the places, faces waay overexposed and the rest of the body underexposed, severe lens distortions, and bad focal distances. If they gave me a camera I could even do better. The room guy has plenty of creative and very good shots, in focus what's needed to be in focus, all while moving along and taking pics of dancing people with only a portable flash. The photobooth guy had plenty of time to set up things well and yet they turned out shite. Ugh.

Oct 25, 2017
My uni's gala party uploaded all the pics from both the room photographer as well as the photobooth photographer. The room photos are

tenor.gif

but the photobooth pics are

tenor.gif
I can't understand how he was able to fuck up that much, pics taken from below, lighting all over the places, faces waay overexposed and the rest of the body underexposed, severe lens distortions, and bad focal distances. If they gave me a camera I could even do better. The room guy has plenty of creative and very good shots, in focus what's needed to be in focus, all while moving along and taking pics of dancing people with only a portable flash. The photobooth guy had plenty of time to set up things well and yet they turned out shite. Ugh.
Photobooth guy didn't know how to light a subject. I think there's a level of creativity and adaptability that people forget to realize goes into being the guy on the ground taking pics of people doing random shit, it ain't easy. In the studio I can take a great headshot, in a lunch room I can take a great headshot, you honestly just have to know your shit, photobooth guy knew nothing.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
Photobooth guy didn't know how to light a subject. I think there's a level of creativity and adaptability that people forget to realize goes into being the guy on the ground taking pics of people doing random shit, it ain't easy. In the studio I can take a great headshot, in a lunch room I can take a great headshot, you honestly just have to know your shit, photobooth guy knew nothing.

Yeah he obiously didn't know a thing about taking proper pictures I feel. Felt like he was just a guy with a camera snapping pics of his family. I can PM you the link to the pictures if you want a good laugh/rage? :P

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he obiously didn't know a thing about taking proper pictures I feel. Felt like he was just a guy with a camera snapping pics of his family. I can PM you the link to the pictures if you want a good laugh/rage? :P
Please do. I like to see if I can learn by seeing what went wrong and compare it to what my stuff looks like. Even Menelaus can vouch for my corporate headshot skills. I can probably dropbox you a few if you like.