• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Some more stuff with the A7R3/Sony 100-400 combo...check out that flower one full size for a secret bug, lol

The B-17 flyover was just a lucky happenstance while at the lake shooting the other stuff!

Nine O Nine B-17 by Scott Tucker, on Flickr
Great capture. It may be just me, but I'd love it if you showed motion by having the propeller blades blur. So basically as slow as possible while being able to stop the plane itself.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great capture. It may be just me, but I'd love it if you showed motion by having the propeller blades blur. So basically as slow as possible while being able to stop the plane itself.
No I fully agree. The problem was I was set to 1/2000 for birding and didn't occur to me to drop that down in the heat of the moment...I was more preoccupied with getting a shot that would let me see the name/cockpit art.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Vern continues to put us all to shame. Great stuff.

I appreciate that but it's not the case! A lot of great stuff in this thread. And a lot of stuff I wish I had the ability to do or artistic vision to do.

All credit to the mavic and to nature.

Yeah this is where a longer reach would've been better for me, as I wasn't too comfortable walking up to other people's kids, but yeah the a 135mm eq would've been perfect to frame it tighter from where I was. Though I do think the 24 to 35mm lengths are also great for portraits if you can get closer.

Wonderful shots by the way.

Thanks. And yea a bit weird to get up in a kids face with your camera.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
The impressive entrance lounge of Cliveden House, Berkshire. D850 & 16-35VR.

WTmBAP.jpg

Nov 13, 2017
Some earthy tones:

by Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr

Some street in monochrome:

Casual portraits with smoke:

url]
by
Álvaro Sánchez Leache, en Flickr
I really could go for some Lubina right about now..
also great username

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
seconded. i love geometric framing using light and shadow, basically my thing.

So these are from Bushwick...Marcus and I were shooting together. Highly recommended if you like this sort of thing, I'll also post some from last October when I was in Berlin, shooting street art.

DSCF2821E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2905 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2840 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2815 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2806 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2923E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2902E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2862E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2851E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2849E by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF2811E by TIKI, on Flickr

non street art related:

such a handsome doggo!
DSCF2871E2 by TIKI, on Flickr
DSCF2833E by TIKI, on Flickr
DSCF2907E by TIKI, on Flickr
DSCF2861 by TIKI, on Flickr
DSCF2814E by TIKI, on Flickr

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be really active in the GAF photography community a number of years ago, but since having kids I don't do nearly as much photography as I used to. So, I wanted to share some of my favourite photos from the past several years that I've never posted here on ERA.

v2

Canon EOS 5D
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro HSM
300mm
ƒ/9
1/3200s
ISO 200

View on 500px

v2

Canon EOS 350D/Digital Rebel XT/Kiss Digital N
18mm
ƒ/8
1/60s
ISO 200

View on 500px

v2

Canon EOS 5D
Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
35mm
ƒ/20
20s
ISO 400

View on 500px

v2

Canon EOS 5D
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
98mm
ƒ/4
1/250s
ISO 100

View on 500px

v2

Canon EOS 5D
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro HSM
300mm
ƒ/5.6
1/250s
ISO 400

View on 500px

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I used to be really active in the GAF photography community a number of years ago, but since having kids I don't do nearly as much photography as I used to. So, I wanted to share some of my favourite photos from the past several years that I've never posted here on ERA.
v2

Canon EOS 5D
Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
35mm
ƒ/20
20s
ISO 400

View on 500px
Yep I remember you, I think we used to participate in the monthly contests we had back in the days, just like the creative story writing contests. I have been away from it for a while as well, I mean, I've always taken photos (was using MFT heavily during my travels for the past 10 years or so), just haven't done it creatively in a long, long time. Recently got back into it with the Fuji ecosystem which to me has been an absolute pleasure.

Really like the long exposure.

Really nice.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
EDIT: Issue for the most part solved so I removed the sample images to save space.

Can someone help me with a colour issue I am having? Whenever I upload to instagram / flickr I have been noticing strange colour shifts. The problem is that I know I am exporting in sRGB. After some experimenting I have discovered that if I export and image straight from lightroom the issue is more pronounced then if I export through photoshop.

Here is the export from lightroom (note the clouds in the middle):

And here is the export from photoshop:

And a screenshot of them side by side on my monitor:

I have verified that both are in sRGB, they both have the same bit depth, there is minor colour changes locally, but drastic colour changes when uploaded and I am at a loss as to why this is the case. Exporting through photoshop is a lot closer to what I see on my monitor but having to load up photoshop for every photo I want to export for web use is a huge pain in the ass.

Last edited:

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone help me with a colour issue I am having? Whenever I upload to instagram / flickr I have been noticing strange colour shifts. The problem is that I know I am exporting in sRGB. After some experimenting I have discovered that if I export and image straight from lightroom the issue is more pronounced then if I export through photoshop.

20170611-DSC_0197-151 by Daniel Kelly, on Flickr

LvP by Daniel Kelly, on Flickr

I have verified that both are in sRGB, they both have the same bit depth, there is minor colour changes locally, but drastic colour changes when uploaded and I am at a loss as to why this is the case. Exporting through photoshop is a lot closer to what I see on my monitor but having to load up photoshop for every photo I want to export for web use is a huge pain in the ass.

I might be crazy but these look damn near identical on my phone. And I have good color sense.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello photography-Era,

I'm looking to make my first foray into photography and have been looking at which DSLRs would be best for a beginner, but advanced enough that I can see myself using it professionally down the line until I can afford a better one.

Everything I've read has pointed me toward the Nikon D5600, so I'll most likely go with that one; however I am confused as to whether I should buy the camera with the lenses for $649 and $699, or just go for the body only for $599 that doesn't include the lenses.

The little research I've done shows that the lenses that come with the $649 and $699 packages can cost about $300, so intuitively I feel inclined to buy the camera with lenses included, but are the lenses actually cheap and have I not been researching properly?

Also since I'll be asked, I am looking to get into photography with my girlfriend. We've always loved it but never had the means to actually start doing it. We stare at photos all day and share them with each other and now we want to be the ones creating them. We'd like to have our own blog/website going as well where we can host them and maybe down the line turn it into a business, depending on what we shoot. I do not have any delusions as I am not expecting to make money off of photography work as a beginner, but I do like to plan ahead with what-ifs.

Any advice is appreciated!

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Hello photography-Era,

I'm looking to make my first foray into photography and have been looking at which DSLRs would be best for a beginner, but advanced enough that I can see myself using it professionally down the line until I can afford a better one.

Everything I've read has pointed me toward the Nikon D5600, so I'll most likely go with that one; however I am confused as to whether I should buy the camera with the lenses for $649 and $699, or just go for the body only for $599 that doesn't include the lenses.

The little research I've done shows that the lenses that come with the $649 and $699 packages can cost about $300, so intuitively I feel inclined to buy the camera with lenses included, but are the lenses actually cheap and have I not been researching properly?

Also since I'll be asked, I am looking to get into photography with my girlfriend. We've always loved it but never had the means to actually start doing it. We stare at photos all day and share them with each other and now we want to be the ones creating them. We'd like to have our own blog/website going as well where we can host them and maybe down the line turn it into a business, depending on what we shoot. I do not have any delusions as I am not expecting to make money off of photography work as a beginner, but I do like to plan ahead with what-ifs.

Any advice is appreciated!

This other thread is what you need:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/camera-equipment-ot-photon-capturing-comparison-club.1451/

Usually those kit lens aren't good for professional work, but they are great while learning. I'd buy the camera with the kit right now and only buy other lenses later on when you feel the need.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I might be crazy but these look damn near identical on my phone. And I have good color sense.
Same, the difference is negligible on all monitors I looked at.

Was driving through the Texas countryside yesterday when this field full of cows and wildflowers appeared...had to bust a u-turn and backtrack for 10 min to get back there, and felt a bit like a doofus city slicker for pulling over to take a picture of a cow, but goddamn it was a pretty scene.

Spring wildflowers on the ranch by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Was driving through the Texas countryside yesterday when this field full of cows and wildflowers appeared...had to bust a u-turn and backtrack for 10 min to get back there, and felt a bit like a doofus city slicker for pulling over to take a picture of a cow, but goddamn it was a pretty scene.

Spring wildflowers on the ranch by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Great shot!

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While taking the picture of the cow, a swarm/flock/murder/whatever you call it of black vultures came whooshing out of the treeline right at me. I was bewildered in the moment by the sheer number of them, but managed to get a snap of them once they moved on...in this pic, I counted 42 vultures...imagine that flying right over your head! This pic isn't much to look at, but just had to share such a weird experience.

42 black vultures by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017

Can I ask what devices you viewed them on?

On my phone and 3 of my monitors the lightroom export looks like it has a green colour cast and is dulled a little. On the mac retina display I have the difference is indeed negligible. One of my displays is a BenQ calibrated display in sRGB mode and the lightroom image is fine viewed locally but as soon as its uploaded it changes where as the photoshop export is fine in both cases. Its super frustrating, I don't see why there would even be negligible changes between both exports at all, both are using the same raw data with the same export settings.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

On my phone and 3 of my monitors the lightroom export looks like it has a green colour cast and is dulled a little. On the mac retina display I have the difference is indeed negligible. One of my displays is a BenQ calibrated display in sRGB mode and the lightroom image is fine viewed locally but as soon as its uploaded it changes where as the photoshop export is fine in both cases. Its super frustrating, I don't see why there would even be negligible changes between both exports at all, both are using the same raw data with the same export settings.
Multiple Dell ultrasharp models including a 4K, and my iphone.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Love these!! Can't wait to be there again this September.

Thanks! And feel free to DM me, for a beer and photographing some stuff together. Your BW shots came out really nice.

by Scott Tucker, on Flickr
And yep, that's gorgeous.

All I noted was the Photoshop versions are a bit more saturated...but nothing too drastic.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I used a manually calibrated Dell as well as an iPhone 8. Nothing fancy.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017

LvP by Daniel Kelly, on Flickr

The blacks appear crushed in your Photoshop export, and some of the highlights seem slightly cooler? I've had this problem in the past, and all I can say is that you probably have a color profile management disconnect somewhere in your editing chain. I noticed that my images appeared identical in locations that recognized color profiles, but wildly different in non-controlled spaces.

I cannot remember exactly where my issue was. It seems like you're on the right path, but check your export settings in Lightroom, check your color space while editing IN Lightroom, and do the same with Photoshop. I spent a lot of money banging my head against this issue trying to calibrate my monitors and all sorts of shit, but my issue was making sure a few dialog boxes said the right things.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
All I noted was the Photoshop versions are a bit more saturated...but nothing too drastic.
I used a manually calibrated Dell as well as an iPhone 8. Nothing fancy.

Cheers, this info really helps. Getting closer to solving the issue.

The blacks appear crushed in your Photoshop export, and some of the highlights seem slightly cooler? I've had this problem in the past, and all I can say is that you probably have a color profile management disconnect somewhere in your editing chain. I noticed that my images appeared identical in locations that recognized color profiles, but wildly different in non-controlled spaces.

I cannot remember exactly where my issue was. It seems like you're on the right path, but check your export settings in Lightroom, check your color space while editing IN Lightroom, and do the same with Photoshop. I spent a lot of money banging my head against this issue trying to calibrate my monitors and all sorts of shit, but my issue was making sure a few dialog boxes said the right things.

This is encouraging. Did a fresh hardware calibration and photoshop crushing the blacks is definitely more noticeable now. The Flickr photos look a lot closer now but instagram is still showing the strange colour shift. Which I am now suspecting has something to do with the way instagram compresses images.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Frigid day, but a few worthwhile shots:
DSCF3514_1 by TIKI, on Flickr

Sometimes you notice something and plan to capture it quick because there's literally no time, and it does work out:
DSCF3577_1 by TIKI, on Flickr

Pretty damn good for ISO 5000. I'm really beginning to love this $30 lens:
DSCF3584_1 by TIKI, on Flickr

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Is this a good deal?

Canon 6D (mark 1) wi-fi/GPS version
with EF 24-70mm F 2.8 L II USM Lens
$2300 NZD (about $1560 USD)
shutter count 16k
2 batteries
condition looks good