• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Guys.

I have a baby owl in my yard.

I'm not sure I've even ever seen an owl in person in the wild.

Guys.

A BABY OWL.

40623241203_ec987fe03c_b.jpg
If you have rabbits you'll probably stop having rabbits soon.

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn that film batch is hot as hell my man.

Thanks dude!
I'm honestly surprised that the Kodak Color Plus came out this good. Last batch of that color stock was some hot garbage, grainy as fuck, and terrible looking.

Damn i'm surprised the grain size isn't a lot bigger.
What body did you use?

I can't wait to see how my Ilford XP-2 Super 400 photos came out.

I shot it with my Nikon F4 and 50mm 1.4D.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
We found a large-ish nest in our front tree, but honestly I have no idea how big an owl nest would be. I assume these guys are typically nocturnal?

Yeah they're usually nocturnal creatures, but it isn't uncommon for owls to hunt during daylight hours too. I took the shot of the owl in my avatar during the afternoon.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
A couple of photos I've taken recently. The first one was after I took my daughter skiing for the first time. I wish I had my telephoto lens on me at the time but 80 mm gave me a halfway decent shot.

Untitled by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

The next photo was taken at the Denver Zoo with my telephoto. These animals were fighting each other for about 10 minutes so I had a lot of opportunities to take some shots. This one was the perfect moment.

Untitled by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they're usually nocturnal creatures, but it isn't uncommon for owls to hunt during daylight hours too. I took the shot of the owl in my avatar during the afternoon.
Ok, I'm stalking around in my front yard at 11pm and I found one of the parents right above me. It's pitch black out so this is all I can get. It dive bombed me right after.

Z8HqOKg.jpg

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
did a shoot for a local clothing brand that sells fur jackets

bare bulbed ad600 at high noon no clouds, super sunny but i made it work. need to upgrade from the nikon d610. its limitations are really obvious now.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I just got home from a Capoeira event, and turns out that even 1/400 isn't enough to freeze the fighters moves. Good thing is that ISO 10000 is somewhat usable, at least for social media, out of a 6D MKII. Some pictures look nice with motion blur only on their legs. I'll post some of them later.

Nov 30, 2018
I just picked up a Lumix GX85.

Was only $499 and included a 45-150mm lens.

This is my first ever camera so I have no clue what I'm doing. Mostly street/traveling/screwing around.

Any tips and tricks of anybody who owns this?

Also lenses are expensive. I googled good ones like a wide angle and was surprised it cost way more than the actual camera lol

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I just picked up a Lumix GX85.

Was only $499 and included a 45-150mm lens.

This is my first ever camera so I have no clue what I'm doing. Mostly street/traveling/screwing around.

Any tips and tricks of anybody who owns this?

Also lenses are expensive. I googled good ones like a wide angle and was surprised it cost way more than the actual camera lol

That's interesting as this BH combo includes a normal lens along with the tele zoom and still costs around the price you posted.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...c_gx85wk_lumix_dmc_gx85_mirrorless_micro.html

Anyway, that's a Mircro 4/3 camera system. It's perfectly fine for traveling, street and screwing around. I used an OMD EM5 for years, still have it and still works perfectly. The system has a crop factor of 2x, which means the lens focal length will be a 2x multiplier on a full frame 35mm equivalent. Basically your 45-150mm lens is a 90-300mm focal length lens on that camera. Which is a pretty tight range and not suitable for a beginner.

I'd get the normal zoom first:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/657970-REG/Panasonic_H_FS014045_Lumix_G_Vario_14.html

That is a surprisingly good kit lens. It's robust, great optical quality and is stabilized (but so is the camera). It's not a fast lens, you wont be able to take good pictures in low light but for outdoors and daylight, it's great.

Along with that, I would also get one of the normal prime lenses, this 25mm:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1446731-REG/panasonic_lumix_g_25mm_f_1_7.html

or the 20mm pancake lens, which is one of my favorite lenses of all time:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1457365-REG/panasonic_lumix_g_20mm_f_1_7.html

They would work out to be 50mm and 40mm lengths respectively, which is your typical angular normal range of human vision. these will allow you the wider perspective for street and normal photography. These lenses will allow you low light photography as they are faster. Their aperture opens up to be bigger and allow more light in.

Prime lenses have a fixed length, they arent zoom lenses. You have to walk close to zoom in, and walk away to zoom out. They will teach you to be a better photographer in the long run, and they have better optical quality than zoom lenses, as they are simpler and have less glass elements inside.

I suggest getting familiar with the menus and dials and check what controls what. View some framing techniques on YouTube along with how auto and manual focusing works, and how to set exposures manually as well as automatically. Finally get out there and take photos. Unfortunately the lens you have is good for parks and not so much cities/street unless you know what you're doing.

Also there's the camera equipment thread which is the thread for hardware. Not this thread. You will get more focused advise on that thread.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
This shots were on the same day as the last one I've posted before. It's a brazilian dance called Maculelê that, as oral tradition says, originated from the african slaves mixing with the tribes of brazilian indians. Sometimes instead of sticks they use machetes.

It's was pretty dark, so I got my 85mm and tried to get details of one of them at a time wide open. Using flash was a no-no for obvios reasons.

IMG_3905 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMG_3899 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMG_3901 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMG_3929 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMG_3940 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMG_4016 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Hmmm, that last one is your best image IMO, but there's unusually high amount of noise there, even for 6400. Did you do a lot of sharpening? Or check your camera settings and ensure the sharpening isn't turned upto 11. If you share the raw image here I can look into it.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Hmmm, that last one is your best image IMO, but there's unusually high amount of noise there, even for 6400. Did you do a lot of sharpening? Or check your camera settings and ensure the sharpening isn't turned upto 11. If you share the raw image here I can look into it.

Yeah, the noise is from post processing. 6400 is very usable on the 6D MK II. I was going for an old newspaper look. Most of it isn't even from the noise slider itself, but from the color noise reduction set to 0. Here's a cleaner version. Now that you said it, I do think I overdid it.

By the way, people there are posting these photos all over social media and getting tons of likes (I mean, tons compared to what I get when I post). This is nice.

Edit: fixed the link poiting to the noiser version.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the noise is from post processing. 6400 is very usable on the 6D MK II. I was going for an old newspaper look. Most of it isn't even from the noise slider itself, but from the color noise reduction set to 0. Here's a cleaner version. Now that you said it, I do think I overdid it.

By the way, people there are posting these photos all over social media and getting tons of likes (I mean, tons compared to what I get when I post). This is nice.

When it comes to grain I don't alter it. I don't try to reduce it and I don't try to enhance it. It's got what it's got and I just leave it at that.

Fëanor

Oct 27, 2017
Went to see my friends play Friday night, and I wasn't really thinking of doing any pictures, but I always carry my camera!!

This dude was legit fun to watch, owning the stage.

Steve Forrest & The A-OKs. Franklin, TN. 04.12 2019 by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
Steve Forrest & The A-OKs. Franklin, TN. 04.12.2019 by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr
Steve Forrest & The A-OKs. Franklin, TN. 04.12.2019 by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr

My friends are essentially a Glam Rock band.

The Blam Blams Franklin, TN. 04.12.2019 by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr

Oct 25, 2017
Went to see my friends play Friday night, and I wasn't really thinking of doing any pictures, but I always carry my camera!!

This dude was legit fun to watch, owning the stage.

Steve Forrest & The A-OKs. Franklin, TN. 04.12 2019 by abrahamsahuayo, on Flickr

My friends are essentially a Glam Rock band.

This is a good set, some of your friends are hitting Jojo territory.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

Ok, makes sense. Definitely play around with what you like best, I like grain but at higher ISOs there'll naturally be enough grain for my taste. Another thing I wanted to point out, as I also noted you mentioned trying to blur out backgrounds etc. So the idea is to focus/guide the viewer's eyes to your subjects correct? And you don't have to or even want to blur out backgrounds all the time. Sometimes we want the backgrounds to be perfectly in focus to provide context. But you want us to focus on something. On your photos, obviously on the performers.

And to take your last photo as an example (I will delete this once you have seen it):

temp by TIKI, on Flickr

Crop the photo to get rid off unnecessary distractions, or things that add nothing to the subject at hand. I don't care about the announcer, or the other guy in the back with the camera. But the few guys in the back do not bother me, as they add some context, and my eyes are still fixed on the performers themselves. You may have your own interpretation, but still you will probably agree that now the focus is more on what you were actually concentrating on while taking the photo.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
When it comes to grain I don't alter it. I don't try to reduce it and I don't try to enhance it. It's got what it's got and I just leave it at that.
Embrace the motherfucking grain. Just dew et.
Ok, makes sense. Definitely play around with what you like best, I like grain but at higher ISOs there'll naturally be enough grain for my taste. Another thing I wanted to point out, as I also noted you mentioned trying to blur out backgrounds etc. So the idea is to focus/guide the viewer's eyes to your subjects correct? And you don't have to or even want to blur out backgrounds all the time. Sometimes we want the backgrounds to be perfectly in focus to provide context. But you want us to focus on something. On your photos, obviously on the performers.

And to take your last photo as an example (I will delete this once you have seen it):

temp by TIKI, on Flickr

Crop the photo to get rid off unnecessary distractions, or things that add nothing to the subject at hand. I don't care about the announcer, or the other guy in the back with the camera. But the few guys in the back do not bother me, as they add some context, and my eyes are still fixed on the performers themselves. You may have your own interpretation, but still you will probably agree that now the focus is more on what you were actually concentrating on while taking the photo.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'm out of town until thursday, but I'm definitly change a few things on these when I get back, as well as editing the others that I didn't have time yet.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
They are using my photo in a pamphlet for a new event. The organizer was an old friend, I had sent him the link for the Google photos album containing the developed photos and he send it to everyone interested (like the guy in this pamphlet). I have to admit this made me smile.

er7JCJRtll5sorZXIGZ9jw1u6y9nYO5v4TiUKoaGaxAX49fgXm3QGrhmINosFNUqA_hWE7DD_v7rP-eUA9WPzOzneHwS9C0SAUlrIJHqiglp_3TI16rllbvIdy7rR0V-uB8YzklIGD7CvQM4lsvE7fM2WSsvzm0t4YWN3otLCd-k8D2z1pE7exUBgoAIyFzkh6EeA6WUK0tzFqmBdQ3z8T6ypDK_gq-9m4soGzpPuTM51yFE_3scYqWj_qbPs1ZBVBq5LIb5XLP_c9seHTxBS6C1TzGlAMWs0zFs-upIJFbtsWIXrpq_QUbOSxCebp_bsfK7qgq86_v6zZwkpa8m751_RzTn_8RuJFpiVc_t7vzYPBOzOsH_Kvx8CUlsXe5xIIjqqkeEWVQNbz5QkXeJsiHbTUSo5ePhXVommvsJGyZxWfVMCAjB-c4hZTloBXzCbfoLWyNsaVeFcfG-RBzeS5yb3NKGxgUMj8vyFWBQImF_q6nlPd7DeMbJtW-OJMc05bZytx7Tgeq8rYLOBFlYCss6BBc3IFeC3pQi9w4RZAtYWyLCZQrqWeqZDoxPTE_IuvWf2ONyeou1IiLXpT796P9fZeUEJbLHaLkLQ5ON1yTH14Yp5_oEQtpWPdvBr-peY7wXDw8nr6ajY71uF4mHRQt62xg_2vN9w4IhuyhiJnK8PNO-HnXpKX5kGSMdN6VW0RkXG67_C75acZGNNpkMLSj0SQ=w1225-h2513-no