• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Love the colours with all of these.

Here a few more with my phone:
2019-05-25 08.11.44 1 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

2019-05-25 08.45.42 1 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

2019-05-26 11.09.41 1 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

2019-06-02_01-43-44 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

and fireworks the other week with my camera (a6000)

Victoria Day Fireworks 2019 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

I find myself using my phone more and more just because it's easier to get a nice photo out of it (and plus it's alywas on me). I feel like I should upgrade my a6000 finally to someting like the A7iii but I wont be able to afford any lenses soon

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really nice stuff posted recently, all!

A few shots from the Smoky Mountains, will post more as soon as the Flickr Uploader stops shitting the bed.

Sunset over the Smoky Mountains from Clingsman Dome by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Cascading creek along Chimney Tops trail by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Black bear spotting at Smokies by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Abandoned Shack along Chimney Tops trail by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Edric hiking by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Robin's Plantain blooms along Chimney Tops trail by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Trickling spring by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These are from North Carolina, specifically Grandfather Mountain and MacRae Peak. GM was pricey as hell to get into, but was one of the most beautiful and fun hikes I've ever done. The series of exposed ladders are particularly exhilarating. We were so proud of our 6 year old son for making it all the way up the mountain, he doesn't have a single fear bone in his body.

Mile High Swinging Bridge and MacRae Peak by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

MacRae Peak from the "patio view" by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Grandfather Mountain views by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

View near MacRae Peak by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Edric near the summit of MacRae Peak by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Delicate blooms at Grandfather Mountain by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Grandfather Mountain rhododendron blooms by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

B/W view of Mile High Swinging Bridge from MacRae Peak by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Panorama near MacRae Peak by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

bonus: tight zoom of the MacRae from Patio shot, showing the 3 scariest ladders of the hike

jDUPb0h.png

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A few more random shots from around the trip. I promise I'm done (for now). All told, only shot about 450 shots and used half(!) of a single Z battery on this trip. Not sure if that's good or bad, but very happy with what I got.

Grandfather Mountain ladder by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Chipmunk visiting camp by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Sunrise at camp, Mammoth Cave by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Edric resting near a small fall by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Chimney Tops by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Untitled by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

Smokies Sunset by Scott Tucker, on Flickr

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I find myself using my phone more and more just because it's easier to get a nice photo out of it (and plus it's alywas on me). I feel like I should upgrade my a6000 finally to someting like the A7iii but I wont be able to afford any lenses soon
Look into a fixed lens camera like the Sony RX100 MK 3 or 4 used. Cellphone photography can certainly be very good, but if you want more control over the exposure. You can also look into a micro four thirds camera like the Olympus with the 20mm 1.7 pancake lens. Both I mentioned are tiny cameras that you can carry anywhere.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I've finally had a chance to take both the Nikkor 20mm 1.8 and the Sigma 50-100 1.8 out for a spin on my D7500. My family and I went to Rocky Mountain National Park to go camping so it was the perfect opportunity for me to get some landscapes and wildlife photos as well as some portraits. The lighting wasn't the greatest as there were lots of clouds and there was still snow on the ground in places but I'm still extremely impressed by the performance on both. The 20mm is EXTREMELY sharp and I can pick out some of the most minute details in some of my photos.

The 50-100 is more challenging to use because it doesn't have VR but using it makes me think through my technique so I really appreciate that. It also allows me to have really nice looking bokeh.

Some shots off of the 20mm.
Untitled by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

A couple off of the 50-100.

Some other test shots I took with both

BOKEH!!

Oct 25, 2017
I've finally had a chance to take both the Nikkor 20mm 1.8 and the Sigma 50-100 1.8 out for a spin on my D7500. My family and I went to Rocky Mountain National Park to go camping so it was the perfect opportunity for me to get some landscapes and wildlife photos as well as some portraits. The lighting wasn't the greatest as there were lots of clouds and there was still snow on the ground in places but I'm still extremely impressed by the performance on both. The 20mm is EXTREMELY sharp and I can pick out some of the most minute details in some of my photos.

The 50-100 is more challenging to use because it doesn't have VR but using it makes me think through my technique so I really appreciate that. It also allows me to have really nice looking bokeh.

Some shots off of the 20mm.

A couple off of the 50-100.

Some other test shots I took with both

BOKEH!!
Good shots. The 50-100 not having stabilization was the reason I didn't even bother getting it. As big as that thing is the reach isn't as much as I'd want and no stabilization with low light is a bit limiting. It's a great, but at the same time very limited lens to me.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 50-100 screams portrait lens to me, but you made it work for landscape just fine. Are these pics straight out of camera?

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Good shots. The 50-100 not having stabilization was the reason I didn't even bother getting it. As big as that thing is the reach isn't as much as I'd want and no stabilization with low light is a bit limiting. It's a great, but at the same time very limited lens to me.

Yeah. The 2X zoom is useful but you have to be pretty close to get shots to fill up the frame. I was standing like 10 feet away from some Elk to photograph them. The one I shared was on the roadside. I don't have a tripod that can handle that beast but when I do, I think I'll be even more impressed with the results.

The 50-100 screams portrait lens to me, but you made it work for landscape just fine. Are these pics straight out of camera?

I was really in the right spot. I really like using "portrait" lenses for landscapes because I'm often photographing gigantic expanses that that are quite far away. It's something that I like to keep in the bag at least.

They are corrected for highlights and shadows mostly. The lighting was a challenge. Either direct sunlight or heavy clouds so very little contrast. The ones of my daughter and the tree on its side were straight out of camera though.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like using "portrait" lenses for landscapes because I'm often photographing gigantic expanses that that are quite far away. It's something that I like to keep in the bag at least.
I use a 100-400 for landscapes so I'm right there with you. I was referring more to the 1.8 aperture which is fairly pointless in the field (until something like that deer shot, if you can get close enough).

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. The 2X zoom is useful but you have to be pretty close to get shots to fill up the frame. I was standing like 10 feet away from some Elk to photograph them. The one I shared was on the roadside. I don't have a tripod that can handle that beast but when I do, I think I'll be even more impressed with the results.
Yeah I see that thing as a podium speaker nightmare to be honest. I'd honestly rather just have a 70-200 at that point on a crop body. With those things you can only get but so close because you can't always get on the stage.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

I think Corinne posted a similar one before...these rolling hills come out awesome with a telephoto.

Big image dump! I had some fun walking around Shibuya for a few hours last week with my 70-200 and 16-35. I really don't get out with my wide angle lens enough.

Yeah, this is great. The wider angles are great for cities. You can get the landscapes as well as environmental portraits.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Posting one more photo of my cat because why not.

IMG_7362 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

Also, today was my first time using my speedlite off-camera with an umbrella. To try it I eliminated ambient light, set the fstop to f/8 and tried some self portraits until I've got one that I was happy with. My first thought after looking it on the computer was "Wow, this is so sharp!". My second thought was "Ew, this is too sharp" lol. I guess there's a reason people like to shoot portraits wide open.

1:1 crop:
IMG_7386 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful pic of your cat!

Yeah, this is great. The wider angles are great for cities. You can get the landscapes as well as environmental portraits.

Yeah, it's a lot of fun messing around with wide angles when there is so much going on everywhere you look in a place like Shibuya. Challenging to get a good shot, but the results can be pretty impressive.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Beautiful pic of your cat!

Thank you!

This might be a "Me" thing but the color in this pic is distracting. It's either a white balancing issue or a tinting issue, but the cat is pink and I know it's supposed to be white. Unless you're cat really is that color and it's not tied to your overall editing style.
Maybe it was shot under neon light?
Sun light was reflecting in a pink wall.

I thought it was cool and didn't fixed it. Here is a version where I toned down the pink on the white balance slider.

48013720102_8f62c053ca_k.jpg
[/url]IMG_7362[/IMG]
He has a consistency with stuff looking a bit purple in his shots whether it's indoors or not.
I didn't notice it before, but I guess you are right. I'm still trying to undestand what works and what doesn't.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
These two are with a vintage Minolta lens. It's surprisingly sharp, at least up to my standards. And I love the way the colors look.

My friend's kid holds pretty still, as his dad is a photographer as well, I think the kid is used to a camera on his face. I mean he literally held still when I started taking photos:

DSCF4109 by TIKI, on Flickr

This is from a local cafe, the soft sunlight seeping through, and the baby being curious created a great scene.
DSCF2790 by TIKI, on Flickr

Posting one more photo of my cat because why not.

by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

Also, today was my first time using my speedlite off-camera with an umbrella. To try it I eliminated ambient light, set the fstop to f/8 and tried some self portraits until I've got one that I was happy with. My first thought after looking it on the computer was "Wow, this is so sharp!". My second thought was "Ew, this is too sharp" lol. I guess there's a reason people like to shoot portraits wide open.

1:1 crop:
by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

That's a great photo of your cat. Is that the 135? And I actually like the pink, I'll tell you why. We know there aren't pink cats, but there it is. It's surreal. Secondly, mostly for portraits I like a bit softer, it's flattering to most people, plus beautiful people look even more beautiful. I like very sharp portraits when the subject's face has a lot of character....and this is typically truer for older folks maybe, lines on their faces etc. That's when I love sharpness.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
That's a great photo of your cat. Is that the 135? And I actually like the pink, I'll tell you why. We know there aren't pink cats, but there it is. It's surreal. Secondly, mostly for portraits I like a bit softer, it's flattering to most people, plus beautiful people look even more beautiful. I like very sharp portraits when the subject's face has a lot of character....and this is typically truer for older folks maybe, lines on their faces etc. That's when I love sharpness.

Thank you! That was just the 35mm at very near minimum focus distance. I had to hold my phone making cat noises above him so he would held his head up haha.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I've wanted a Gorilla Pod in the past, but to get a mount that supports Arca Swiss, it's too much for me to bite.